Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Who was the man in the K&C with her in SLC?
    Scott Brown. He choreographed her programs last year. Not sure what he's still doing hanging around.

vCash
    I seriously doubt that at this point in his career, and with his track record, Carroll is going to be "forced" to do anything he doesn't want to do.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Surprised that it's Alex she's leaving behind and not Scott.

She's clearly working her butt off trying to improve. The SP music is one my least favorites, but there are parts of that program where the choreography actually works. She's got ALL that energy and I suppose the choreographers were hoping to capitalize on that when they picked that piece.

It's going to be a very interesting season...
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    This year is setting up to be a disaster for Gracie. She better get it together or she won't make the Olympic team. Very strange decisions have been made and while every other skater has their coaching team in place Gracie doesn't even have a coach. Why didn't she make the move two or three months ago?

vCash
    i think some of you should calm down.. gracie has a good technique.. it's not like it's the end of the world!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    It sounds like Frank needs convincing. From the article it looks like this is a glorified week-long tryout. It's quite odd to me that Frank, who is getting on in years and is unavailable but for all the highest-ranked skaters and rejected Adam Rippon a while back, would be willing to take on Carly Gold, of all people.
    I think Gracie is going to have a much harder time making the coach switch if Frank needs to be coaching Carly as well- that seems really unlikely. But more realistically, Carly might just need to find another coach in the area, and she likely could.

vCash
    I don't like the music in Gracie's SP this year, and she really had a bad day with the long. But this weekend isn't the end of the world. I feel sorry for her that her tryout with FC is so public because she's not going to be a 100% winner either way--some will say he's right for her and some will say he is not. Gracie will survive all of this and will skate well again, maybe this year, maybe in 2014, maybe not until 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I wonder what happens if after a week trial-it doesn't work out. Then she'd really be in trouble.

It also seems odd she didn't go down for a short trial earlier.
    There is no way any reputable coach would have a try out with Gracie until she had severed all ties with her current coach and paid all her bills. It makes it difficult to change coaches, but that is just the way it is.

It is too bad that this is all so public, but it can't be helped now. I hope all goes well and she settles in quickly.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I think the tryout will be eye opening for her and her family. They are use to Gracie being a priority and given special treatment. Frank has bigger fish and did not seem that interested to work with her citing only criticism in the Hersh article. Thinking that she can fly into California get some magic dust from Frank and go back to Canton to get a hug from Marina in 3 hour time zone difference is unrealistic. I feel badly for her because she was hyped so much by athletic development at USFS before she was ready and her unpreparedness to handle criticism, fans, media is showing this.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Tweets have made such situations even more weird.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't think it's the end of the world, on the contrary, it's the glimmer of hope. Where Gracie was, was not a place from which to propel her onto the Olympic or World podium, barring mass meltdowns from the big guns. This season's programs completely failed to address her shortcomings as a skater. Her technique is fine, it's her nerves that seem to get in the way. And as far as the PCS mark...yeah. These new programs make the PCS issues stand out more IMO. I am going to stop here.

If anyone, Frank can make it better. But the tryout, that's going to be interesting...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Are we getting a little ahead of ourselves, regarding Gracie?

Yes, she's a huuuuuuge talent, probably the best to come out of the US for a long time. But seriously, what are her chances to stand on the podium at Sochi? If Kim, Asada, Kostner and Suzuki skate anywhere near their best, I don't see Gracie cracking into that elite group this year. I know that the unexpected can happen at the Olympics, but Gracie, even with her enormous talent, has a ways to go until she develops into a mature skater. I do believe she has it in her, but probably for the next quadrennial, don't you think?

From what I can see, Gracie doesn't have a thing to lose by going to Frank, if he'll take her. She's got time on her side.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    ^ Gracie finished ahead of Akiko at Worlds, so I wouldn't count her among Kim, Asada and Kostner, although she's a contender in the way that Ashley, Gracie and the Russian Wunderkinds are.

Anyway, I know people are scratching their heads about why FC would take Gracie on if he didn't want Adam Rippon. It could have more to do with the fact that Adam would've been a direct conflict with the male skaters (Lysacek, Ten) he's currently coaching. To my knowledge, FC is not coaching any top female skaters right now so Gracie doesn't represent any sort of conflict for him. FC doesn't strike me as the type of person who'd say 'yes' to something he had any sort of doubt about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^ Gracie finished ahead of Akiko at Worlds, so I wouldn't count her among Kim, Asada and Kostner, although she's a contender in the way that Ashley, Gracie and the Russian Wunderkinds are.
    Suzuki had one bad event, but she handily beat Gold at 4CC and WTT last year, and is a recent World medallist. I think you are doing her a disservice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudove View Post
    Frank has bigger fish and did not seem that interested to work with her citing only criticism in the Hersh article.
    I think Frank is saying he'll take her if the he thinks the conditions are right. He feels she needs one primary coach focusing on her, whether that's him or someone else. I feel this shows integrity on his part, he will only take her if the overall situation is conducive for him to help her improve. That frustrating 'Mirai's Perpetual California Road Trip season ' might also be weighing on him. The feedback from Champs Camp must have been that she needs some big changes, so Ouriashev is out. Now Zoueva, USFS, Gracie/her twin/her family, and Frank (at USFS and Gracie's request), are all weighing the possible options to see what might work best for the next 5 months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudove View Post
    Frank has bigger fish and did not seem that interested to work with her citing only criticism in the Hersh article.
    Here's the link to Hersh's article that was published last night: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...4380303.column

Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Does Ouriashev currently teach any up and coming (i.e. Nationals bound) Ladies skaters at the intermediate, novice, or junior level?
    Regionals-bound, yes.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Are we getting a little ahead of ourselves, regarding Gracie?

Yes, she's a huuuuuuge talent, probably the best to come out of the US for a long time. But seriously, what are her chances to stand on the podium at Sochi? If Kim, Asada, Kostner and Suzuki skate anywhere near their best, I don't see Gracie cracking into that elite group this year. I know that the unexpected can happen at the Olympics, but Gracie, even with her enormous talent, has a ways to go until she develops into a mature skater. I do believe she has it in her, but probably for the next quadrennial, don't you think?
    I think that Gracie could benefit from a coach with the same approach as Kaetlyn Osmond's; slow, study, patient with long term goals way beyond Sochi. I believe that others have said that here, let Gracie develop at her own pace preferably under the radar. With that plan, I think that she would be a powerhouse in a couple of years. Pushing for gold in Sochi might be disastrous. Honestly, what is the rush?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Tweets have made such situations even more weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I don't like the music in Gracie's SP this year, and she really had a bad day with the long. But this weekend isn't the end of the world. I feel sorry for her that her tryout with FC is so public because she's not going to be a 100% winner either way--some will say he's right for her and some will say he is not. Gracie will survive all of this and will skate well again, maybe this year, maybe in 2014, maybe not until 2018.
    I agree with the above. I can't help but suspect that all the hinting from TSL forced this situation out in the public before either party was ready to make an announcement. We don't usually hear of tryouts, although they probably happen. We usually get a coaching change announcement when the new coach has been finalized. I don't think there would have been a fuss if Gracie showed up at SLC with her choreographers and not her coach.

Just my two cents....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I think that Gracie could benefit from a coach with the same approach as Kaetlyn Osmond's; slow, study, patient with long term goals way beyond Sochi. I believe that others have said that here, let Gracie develop at her own pace preferably under the radar. With that plan, I think that she would be a powerhouse in a couple of years. Pushing for gold in Sochi might be disastrous. Honestly, what is the rush?
    Although slow and steady may sometimes win the race, opportunity isn't always a lengthy visitor.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Although slow and steady may sometimes win the race, opportunity isn't always a lengthy visitor.
    Yeah, perhaps Gracie thinks this is her best chance? She has the jumps right now (well maybe not in SLC) and four years is a long time to maintain that technical ability. She's not a complete, mature skater yet, but then neither were Hughes or Lipinski. I can't see Gracie beating a clean Yuna, Mao or Caro, but if the favorites falter, who knows? Stranger things have happened.

The whole situation is rather bizarre though, I wonder what caused the fallout with her old coach. Hope she settles on a new coach soon and listens to Frank's advice re: moving around too much/having multiple coaches at once.
    Last edited by elka_sk8; 09-16-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast