Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/14/60651560

Per this article and to my point in my earlier post, people should assume the situation is broken if a skater makes a drastic move like this. I hope this really works for Gracie. If not right away then in the future. One thing about Frank is that at this point in his career, I am sure he learns something new all the time but coaching a elite female is a situation he's very familiar with. Gracie sounds like she was imploding and was forced into a change. I am glad she listened to her inner voice and made the switch. She's perhaps in the best situation in that she does not need major overhauls to her jumping. She's the best candidate for such a switch.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    I don't see how one can compare Gracie to Kostner. Carolina always had great musicality, which I could only assume came from Italian classical music education. Gracie, despite her princess face, is as much a power skater as Rachael Flatt, and her team was mistaken to think they can package her into a beauty skater. She will do so much better with spunky music like her Chicago exhibition program this year. This is a down-to-earth American girl who grew up listening to Taylor Swift and uses "I got to" way too often. How do one believe she would understand Tchaikovsky? Of course musicality can be drilled into a skater, but I'm guessing Mirai's Carmen was as good as drilling could get.

That being said, Gracie Gold is still going to make the Olympics, and she is never going to be a well-rounded beauty skater with high PCS. So yes, she needs all the politiking power from a coach she can get.
    I agree. The Carolina I've watched all these years has never been as musically unconscious or as choreographically unfinished as Gracie Gold. Kostner has always used her body to express music well in the non-jump elements of her program. Yes, she used to have a bad habit of telegraphing her jumps, particularly the 3flip jump, but in her later years, she disguises her jumps much better and in her later years, she also controls her speed much better. I agree with you that no one should be trying to transform Gold into a pwetty pwetty princess. She skates similarly in style to Rachael Flatt or Emily Hughes, so I'm thinking selections like "Carmina Burina" and "Firebird" could work better for her.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 09-15-2013 at 02:13 PM.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I think technically Gracie is an excellent skater.. However her artistic side is impacted by her confidence issues an her mental strength issues.. She reminds me of Josie Chouinard a technically superb skater eaten up by her nerves.. I do think Gracie has lots of artistry but we have not seen it because she is so focused on her elements that she can't let go an just feel the music.. If you want to see if a skater has some artistry look at their exhibitions .. Frank might be a good idea if it helps her confidence .. Can't blame the changes it is an important year!
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Wait, Frank won't stand for windmilling? Evan powers several small, Dutch communities with the power of his arms.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I was wondering if some of Frank's time freed up for Gracie because a certain Olympic Gold Medalist has realized he might be too injured to make the Olympics.
    That's my suspicion, too.

Wishing her the best of luck whatever the outcome.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I watched Gracie's SP and LP from the competition this weekend on youtube.

I have to say that I didn't find either the content or the style of either as egregious as has been suggested by other posts in various threads. I was bracing myself! She did do 3 triples and a 3-jump combo at the end. Yeah. Nowhere near perfect but I remember Kwan doing 4 triples in her LP at '01 GWG getting beaten handily by Slutskaya en route to the Olympics in '02. It's also obvious she has worked on her components. I don't find the arms all that bad (although she may want to tone it down), right off the bat though, I would start by scrapping the pwetty pink costume and go for a color that emphasizes power and control if 'Power Witch' is what she is indeed going for.

And I believe there have been comparisons to Gracie/FC and Mirai/FC teamings. If at happens, Gracie would come to FC with (1) good basic technique; (2) a commitment to work on components even if they are not perfect at this point; and (3) a somewhat ambitious attitude. Categories (1) and (3) were lacking with Mirai, so I think it could work based on that alone.

What I AM worried about is the drastic change so close to the start of a competitive Olympic season and not even being sure this is what she wants (giving FC a 1-week tryout?). Dangerous territory to not have a solid team picked and ready at this point where you will be facing the likes of Yu Na, Mao, Carolina, baby Russians competing in their home country at the Olympics. I really hope that she has a back-up coach ready to go if the FC tryout doesn't work out and it will be a big problem if it doesn't work out without a fallback plan.

vCash
    Says she needs a coach who can help her control her emotions. Better to see a sports psychologist for that for maximum help. In the end though, only she can do that.

Carol Heiss would probably work for her.
    Last edited by Iceman; 09-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    Some skaters never get their emotions under control. Just look at Alissa and Mirai. I think if Gracie makes the Olympic team with all that is going on it will be a successful year. At this point with no coach she's behind the other skaters who have stable coaching situations. I'm not expecting a lot from her right now to tell you the truth.

vCash
    I am glad she made a coach change. She definitely needs new choreography, however, not sure if she has time for her GP season.....wish her the best.

vCash
    After a few viewings, I find myself surprised by how much I like the choreography and packaging for her, even if it is not what I imagined would be good for her. It is indeed pretty princess (I don't see a power witch anywhere in there, maybe a 'power princess' ) . There are moments where she pullls it off, and the sweeping music of Sleeping Beauty really does match the power and flow of her skating. It's a stretch for her, but certainly a big improvement over the universally panned boob shimmy and marching she had last season. I'm hopeful she pulls it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

Carol Heiss would probably work for her.
    Has Carol Heiss ever worked for anyone at this level? We don't need another Kwiatowski, we've already got Zawadski filling that spot.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think Gracie's style is interesting. It is "busy", but not bad, and something I more expect from Eastern Bloc coaches or skaters, which usually have either empty programs or very full programs. The arm thing everybody is complaining about looks like something Miki Ando was given by Morozov.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 09-15-2013 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    After a few viewings, I find myself surprised by how much I like the choreography and packaging for her, even if it is not what I imagined would be good for her. It is indeed pretty princess (I don't see a power witch anywhere in there, maybe a 'power princess' ) . There are moments where she pullls it off, and the sweeping music of Sleeping Beauty really does match the power and flow of her skating. It's a stretch for her, but certainly a big improvement over the universally panned boob shimmy and marching she had last season. I'm hopeful she pulls it off.

Has Carol Heiss ever worked for anyone at this level? We don't need another Kwiatowski, we've already got Zawadski filling that spot.

Carol coached Timothy Goebel and Miki Ando

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Carol coached Timothy Goebel and Miki Ando
    Miki looked her worst with Carol. Timothy was his best under frank

vCash
    I wonder what happens if after a week trial-it doesn't work out. Then she'd really be in trouble.

It also seems odd she didn't go down for a short trial earlier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I wonder what happens if after a week trial-it doesn't work out. Then she'd really be in trouble.

It also seems odd she didn't go down for a short trial earlier.
    That's more of my concern than her changing coaches. I hope she has a back-up plan just in case!!!

vCash
    It's not an ideal time to change coaches, for sure. It's a little surprising that Frank is available. Perhaps, as others have already said, he doesn't anticipate Evan taking up as much of his time as predicted. Does he have any other senior ladies right now?

vCash
    It also sounds like Frank had to be "convinced".

vCash
    It sounds like Frank needs convincing. From the article it looks like this is a glorified week-long tryout. It's quite odd to me that Frank, who is getting on in years and is unavailable but for all the highest-ranked skaters and rejected Adam Rippon a while back, would be willing to take on Carly Gold, of all people.

vCash
    Does Ouriashev currently teach any up and coming (i.e. Nationals bound) Ladies skaters at the intermediate, novice, or junior level?

vCash
    Who was the man in the K&C with her in SLC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    . It's quite odd to me that Frank, who is getting on in years and is unavailable but for all the highest-ranked skaters and rejected Adam Rippon a while back, would be willing to take on Carly Gold, of all people.
    Exactly my reaction. Yes, extremely odd!.....Almost seems like he is being forced to do this............

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast