Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It did work for Kostner but she visibly rushed into her jumps and entered them at uncontrollable speed. I don't see Gracie doing that but time will tell if that's her problem. I think it's nerves more than technique.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    It seems like a strange decision to make at this point in the season, but I do trust Carroll. But it will be a real challenge for Gracie to get into and perfect another program at this point in time. It's tough to have confidence in such a new program.

O-
    Seems really desperate to me. I am surprised at Carroll. I would think he would drop the LP - since it seems so ill suited, or scrapped both. I would love to know what went on behind the scenes.

Did FC advise them to change, and they hung on?
    Did the Gold's finally demand that "something be done"?
    Did the guy at the vending machine suggest no scratchy ear piercing music?

Seems like they went to Frank out of a need / want to change, but then left the two programs in tact, 'til just before Nats.....which, essentially, this is.

I think Arturian said it best....you lay the foundation for the year in April. (paraphrase) So this seems panicky to me. Doesn't really sound like Frank, at all. He seems so planned, calm, collected, with a clear vision of what needs to be done and how to attain the goal.

Maybe there will be a "tell all" some day and we can hear what is really happening.

I hope she can keep her mind in the game.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I mean there have been examples of skaters changing their routines last minute and doing well at the next competition. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but all the panic is a bit much. I mean I'm sure her 7 elements themselves will probably stay more or less the same.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Don't panic everyone. We have to believe Frank knows what he's doing. Arakawa changed both her programmes literally weeks before the Big O. It can be done.

vCash
    I think she basically dropped the sp because so many people have complained about it on message boards and other internet places. Little did she know that after she drops it, more people are complaining about her dropping it.

I love her Chicago ex though. She should just make that a sp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Don't panic everyone. We have to believe Frank knows what he's doing. Arakawa changed both her programmes literally weeks before the Big O. It can be done.
    But Arakawa was a more experienced skater who was a former World champion also. Gracie doesn't have that luxury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Preach on. It's a pet peeve of mine that women today continue to perpetuate outdated ideas what "lady like behavior" should be. Who chooses or who decides what types of behavior, dress and attributes are considered ladylike? Female athletes are held to so many outdated ideas of femininity. Personally, this is why I believe ladies figure skating is stuck in the mud or in an age gone by. We hear the same frilly, elegant, soft skating music used by the skaters all the time because so many believe that ladies "should" skate to this type of music. Aggressive or modern music is considered "not ladylike" or not what ladies skating should represent. It's like the same music is regurgitated each year. When will we get to see lady skaters use an instrumental version of Muse's Follow Me or anything by Trevor Morris?

Muse's Follow Me
    While reading some of these posts about ladies crossing their legs in the KnC it occurred to me that given some of the unusual furniture in these venues and the lack of height of some of most female skaters - I wonder how many can't actually sit with their feet on the ground to begin with - see Megan Duhamel - and how awkward it would be to have to cross your legs after skating a 4 or 4 1/2 minute program while holding your legs in mid air.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I don't know anything about her team hyping her..or who her team even is..But USFS has been salivating since she won juniors. They've been looking for the "She's got next"..since the Kwan era...and most especially since Kwan and Cohen retired...Gracie's got "The Look", the name and ..lots of times..the jumps..Stylistically, she leaves a lot to be desired..I'd like to see her evolve over the next OLY quad...God knows, I was never a Kostner fan..For yrs, I thought that she was Italy's answer to Sarah Hughes..but over the last quad, I have come to enjoy and appreciate her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Again, that same strategy worked for Kostner when Carroll coached her.
    I don't recall anything in particular working for Kostner when she was with Carroll. Two 6th place finishes on the GP, and then losing to Marchei at Nationals shortly after leaving him.

The reports from SLC were that Gracie's jumps weren't as high as the previous season's jumps, so perhaps it's not only Frank's advice that's at issue here. Maybe she's just losing power and he made sure everyone heard him say don't skate as fast or jump as high to explain the changes in her skating from one year to the next.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Banned Member
    vCash
    What FC is apparently working on with GG is packaging her skating. By pulling it back a little, he can teach her to make her skating look smooth, seamless and with "hidden" power, while being quiet on the ice. He can also teach her to make things look very secure and that they are being done with ease.

Once that is in place, he can "cut her loose" and tell her to attack, attack, attack ... similar to the advice he gave MK and EL.

It will take time, but I recognize what his approach is trying to create out there for her.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 11-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.

vCash
    Also, I wonder to what extent Frank and Gracie are working toward Sochi and to what extent they are working toward 2018 (when Gracie could, possibly, be a medal contender). I would think that strategy would be quite different, depending upon which Olys is the target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Also, I wonder to what extent Frank and Gracie are working toward Sochi and to what extent they are working toward 2018 (when Gracie could, possibly, be a medal contender). I would think that strategy would be quite different, depending upon which Olys is the target.
    I am pretty sure they are working toward Sochi, and not the distant 2018 (although that would be an even better option if 2014 did not deliver a medal); otherwise I don't see why Gracie would make the coaching change in an Olympic year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I don't recall anything in particular working for Kostner when she was with Carroll. Two 6th place finishes on the GP, and then losing to Marchei at Nationals shortly after leaving him.
    Had Kostner left Carroll before Nationals?

I recall someone posting and being puzzled about the jump reworking. Particularly the loop, which she thought was Kostner's strength.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Kostner became a more elegant skater under Carroll and gained control over her speed. Not every change manifests itself 100% successfully immediately. She also had a relationship in Italy and wanted to return to Europe. California never did it for her.

2006 was going to be it for Arakawa as far as the Olympics went. Gold is at the beginning of her skating career, and she can afford to make changes months, not weeks, like Arakawa, before the Olympics.

All of the hype about her is noise. If Carroll can keep her focused -- and what better way than having to learn something new -- and deflect the media, at which he is a pro, she will be the better for it.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 11-21-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Doesn't really sound like Frank, at all. He seems so planned, calm, collected, with a clear vision of what needs to be done and how to attain the goal.
    Well, this is not the first time. Remember Evan Lysacek's horrid Grease program in 2005? It was dropped midseason and the replacement (Carmen) worked pretty well in Torino.

vCash
    Maybe Frank's ears just hurt from that SP music, and he simply could not bear it anymore. No other reason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Maybe Frank's ears just hurt from that SP music, and he simply could not bear it anymore. No other reason
    Ding ding ding ding ding! I think we have the answer!

O-

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839