Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

vCash
    Maybe there should be just one Singles event - men and women competiting head to head. They can all wear unitards? Heck no!

I also wish that ladies be deducted 1.00 if they do not keep their legs together in Kiss n' Cry. It's so ugly to see a lady/woman/gal in a beautiful feminine dress, waiting for her scores, with splayed legs. I remember when Ashley Wagner's earlier coach, Shirley Hughes, asked her students to sit like ladies. Shirley Hughes rocks!

Gracie, stay a gracious lady!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    If a skater wants to skate in a manner that crosses stodgy old gender boundaries, more power to them I say.

(although, I have to say that anyone in a skirt does look terrible sitting with legs wide open.)

vCash
    Splayed legs in the K&C is one of my pet peeves. I noticed that at NHK, they had a "modesty panel" high enough in front of the skaters that the camera station could not capture the skaters' lower bodies while they were sitting down. I think that is a smart idea. Competition organizers: take notice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    There's a reason why it's called the LADIES event.

That said, I would love to see Gracie continue in her lady-like progress. She CAN win and be a true beautiful Lady. Frank knows what he's doing.
    I don't want to see "ladies". I want to see athletes. I don't care if they are beautiful (way too much focus is placed on skater's looks). If I want to see a beautiful lady, I'll watch the princesses at Disney on Ice.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I also wish that ladies be deducted 1.00 if they do not keep their legs together in Kiss n' Cry. It's so ugly to see a lady/woman/gal in a beautiful feminine dress, waiting for her scores, with splayed legs. I remember when Ashley Wagner's earlier coach, Shirley Hughes, asked her students to sit like ladies. Shirley Hughes rocks!

Gracie, stay a gracious lady!
    With standards like that, you might be happier watching Miss America rather than an athletic competition.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Splayed legs in the K&C is one of my pet peeves. I noticed that at NHK, they had a "modesty panel" high enough in front of the skaters that the camera station could not capture the skaters' lower bodies while they were sitting down. I think that is a smart idea. Competition organizers: take notice.
    This is why I joke I'll never be a lady and why I always wear pants. I sit entirely unladylike.

But crotch right in the camera in the K&C annoys me when it's a woman or a man, nor do I think it's the athlete's responsibility to think of that after just finishing a program. Modesty panel FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't want to see "ladies". I want to see athletes. I don't care if they are beautiful (way too much focus is placed on skater's looks). If I want to see a beautiful lady, I'll watch the princesses at Disney on Ice.
    Er, this is figure skating and there is a beauty component. Otherwise nobody would have the room to gripe about lack of good posture or extension or pointed toes.

And the suggestion about Gracie putting on a bitchface is hilarious to me, because Alf and I have already christened Ashley "bitchface." But it's really a term of endearment - we love that she wants to WIN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Er, this is figure skating and there is a beauty component. Otherwise nobody would have the room to gripe about lack of good posture or extension or pointed toes.
    We expect the men to have good posture and pointed toes. Are they being ladylike?

Which component score outlines "beauty"? Not a single one uses that word. Carriage is expected in P/E- but it isn't described as beauty; it is described as a measure of strength.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    We expect the men to have good posture and pointed toes. Are they being ladylike?

Which component score outlines "beauty"? Not a single one uses that word. Carriage is expected in P/E- but it isn't described as beauty; it is described as a measure of strength.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. We know what is and what isn't supposed to be judged, but I think we all as fs fans know that some things, such as beauty, nice costumes, pretty face, etc. earn points. It's a rare "lady" that wears a unitard. It's a rare "lady" that will skate to Aerosmith.

Figure skating comes from a long line of traditional values and standards that have not grown up into the 21st Century. The dresses, the music, even the choreography.

The athleticism required to earn points is incredible. But figure skating still likes it's pretty packages.

Maybe this isn't how it should be, but it is how it is ... at least for the time being ... and most "lady" figure skaters abide by certain practices (I think) for fear they will lose points for not following those time-worn practices.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Figure skating comes from a long line of traditional values and standards that have not grown up into the 21st Century. The dresses, the music, even the choreography.
    That may be true, but if that is your argument for referring to Ladies as Ladies, then the men should be referred to as "Gentlemen" as well

vCash
    Johnny calls them girls. I hate that!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    That may be true, but if that is your argument for referring to Ladies as Ladies, then the men should be referred to as "Gentlemen" as well
    And they should behave like Gentlemen. No splaying their legs in Kiss and Cry like they are sitting in the NYC subway.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post

I made no argument re the "ladies" moniker, which is why I included that word in quotes in my post. To me, the moniker is a remnant of the past. I am not offended by it, but I do agree with others that "women" and "men" seem to be more appropriate, accurate, and in sync with 2013 and beyond.

O-

vCash
    I just wish Frank would make her take ballet classes a couple times a week. She doesn't even know how to hold her hands. There's just no excuse for it with all the training hours these skaters put in at this level. Certainly there's enough time in those hours for a dance class? Other skaters find time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Unfortunately, I think Frank has cookie-cutter solutions to skater's issues, and when it eventually doesn't work, he blames the skater....Just give it time, they are "headcases", or need to lose some weight, or lazy...............

"Reigning in" a skater's jumps may be the solution for some skaters, but I believe GG's jumps are tanking even more now that Frank is slowing her down.
    Regardless of the poster's previous thoughts on GG, this is a legitimate concern IMO. For a skater who has jumps and not much else to fall back on, the jumps really should be the full emphasis. That's what the Russian, Lipnitskaya, is doing anyway.

Still, as long as she is not falling apart after mistakes (like she used to do), it's a step in the right direction. Now is not the time to be peaking anyway, so it's onto Nationals. Two months and a LOT of work to do...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Are you seriously saying that Lipnitskaya has nothing but jumps to fall back on, like GG?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I agree with ladies sitting like ladies in the K&C.... so many people in this day and age seem to think there is something attractive about being vulgar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I agree with ladies sitting like ladies in the K&C.... so many people in this day and age seem to think there is something attractive about being vulgar.
    Do you think they are being vulgar, or just really tired? Maybe they should make them stand and wait for their scores like snowboarders, that way people won't judge them for not being "ladylike". (Not to mention these women and girls are all used to displaying pretty much everything in their programs through spirals and spins, that they probably think nothing of sitting in the KnC. Viewers aren't seeing anything new.)

vCash
    I think that it takes no effort to cross ones legs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I think that it takes no effort to cross ones legs.
    We get like 50 crotch shots a program. I don't like all the subtext in these posts that these elite, hard working female athletes aren't "ladylike" enough and need to take etiquette lessons or something.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I agree. It hasn't even entered my mind to expect them to cross their legs any more than I'd expect the men to cross theirs.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast