Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Hmmm, doesn't matter at this point, but I believe that Kween already possessed enormous talent prior to being coached by Frank, but I seriously doubt she had all her triples!

ETA:
    BTW, Johnny Weir had some interesting thoughts about Gracie's fp music which ITA and I've already mentioned in US ladies thread in Trash Can. Her fp music is too soft and doesn't fit her skating style. Interestingly, Johnny feels Radionova and Gracie should swap their fp music.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-11-2013 at 12:12 AM.

vCash
    I think Gracie would do well to throw on a unitard, forego the pageant smile, put on a bitch-face and skate to music like Slutskaya's SP in Torino '06 or Debi Thomas's '86 and '87 SP music. Powerful stuff. Her speed, long limbs and jumps would make it work

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    No, you just never see the younger skaters that Frank works with and are just focusing on the elite skaters. When Kwan came to him at a young age, she certainly didn't have all her triples!
    I am curious about this, and I would like to place a question, without trying to imply anything, one way or the other.

With the exception of Michelle Kwan, who may or may not have had all her triples when she joined Carroll, are you saying that the young skaters Carroll brough up never made it to elite and/or noticeble results (you say: "you never see"), while the ones that had the important results while coached by him already came with their technical abilities?

vCash
    Sounds great to me, Olympic! But I wonder if all concerned would be willing to deep-six Zoueva's zzzzz Beauty? Surely music is mucho importante and truly helps skaters when the fit is just right. Frank should know -- he's certainly no stranger to making music changes in the middle of a season. Is anyone taking a bet on the possibility of at least a fp music makeover for GG?

I say Go for it GG with unitard and bitchface too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    I am curious about this, and I would like to place a question, without trying to imply anything, one way or the other.

With the exception of Michelle Kwan, who may or may not have had all her triples when she joined Carroll, are you saying that the young skaters Carroll brough up never made it to elite and/or noticeble results (you say: "you never see"), while the ones that had the important results while coached by him already came with their technical abilities?
    Not true in any case, loulou. Frank teaches a lot more people than just elite skaters. Re some of his other more well-known skaters: Chris Bowman was with Frank from a very young age. I believe Fratianne may have been coached by someone else bf Frank, but I'm not sure on that.

In any case, Fratianne progressed to the limelight under Frank. It's seemingly been later in his career that some more established skaters have sought out Frank, and NOT for nothing obviously. Tiffany Chin and Tim Goebel as well as Mirai (and Carolina K for a brief period) are a few stars that came to Frank from other coaches. Of course Evan switched to Frank's team before he made it big in seniors.

BTW, I think the poster you posed the question to means similar to what I said about Frank teaching a lot of skaters which doesn't mean he doesn't teach them well if they don't reach elite level. Maybe we don't realize and appreciate the odds of making it to the top in fs even with huge talent!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-11-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yay to bitchface, unitard and powerful music for Gracie. Nay to pwetty pwincess/fake smile stuff.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post

No, you misunderstand, quite the contrary. I'm saying that Frank Carroll has coached skaters at different levels and some he gets pretty young while they are at lower levels of competitive skating under the USFS system. Many of them definitely don't have all their doubles much less triples. (Michelle Kwan went to him at age 10 and I'm sure she didn't have all her triples at that point.)

Like any coach, not all of his skaters are destined for elite competitive fame, but he certainly has had quite a number who started with him at the lower levels, make it to the regional, sectional, and national levels even if they never became household names representing the US internationally at seniors. These are the skaters "we never see" (well at least fans who aren't privy to the SoCal skating scene.) The current skaters we tend to talk the most about now went to Frank after they had already been coached to the senior competitive level by others (Evan Lysacek, Denis Ten, Carolina Kostner, Gracie Gold, etc.) but it would be incorrect to think that he's only been a "finishing coach" who does only high-level tech/style renovations or final polishing of the diamonds. How he prefers to now split his coaching career working with already elite-level skaters versus bringing up skaters through the juvenile, intermediate, novice ranks, I have no idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I think Gracie would do well to throw on a unitard, forego the pageant smile, put on a bitch-face and skate to music like Slutskaya's SP in Torino '06 or Debi Thomas's '86 and '87 SP music. Powerful stuff. Her speed, long limbs and jumps would make it work
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yay to bitchface, unitard and powerful music for Gracie. Nay to pwetty pwincess/fake smile stuff.
    I say YES to all this!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I support such a plan for Gracie

vCash
    ..and I should mention it was Kwan's planned '05 - '06 SP music. How could I forget the Kween?

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Yeah, skating needs more tough bitches. The very thought of Gracie Gold being sold as a pwetty ballerina on ice is just wrong on so many levels, a complete mismatch to everything about her style. "Grace" may be in her name, but nothing about her skating exudes grace. Angela Nikodinov, she is not, not even close. I'm in agreement with Johnny; she needs more powerful music, something along the lines of Frida, Carmina Burana, Robin Hood, or Firebird. Gracie is Elaine Zayak, not Rosalynn Sumners.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 11-11-2013 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    A Gracie in unitard with 'bitchface' would be dreadful...the white Mae Berenice Miete. If skaters like Gracie and Mae Berenice want to participate in their own demise, so be it. There's no reason for a powerful jumping lady to go totally 'bitch'; Yuna Kim, for example, is a huge jumper who knows the meaning of the word 'Lady.' And Katarina Witt, in her time. There's a reason why it's called the LADIES event.

That said, I would love to see Gracie continue in her lady-like progress. She CAN win and be a true beautiful Lady. Frank knows what he's doing.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    A Gracie in unitard with 'bitchface' would be dreadful...the white Mae Berenice Miete. If skaters like Gracie and Mae Berenice want to participate in their own demise, so be it. There's no reason for a powerful jumping lady to go totally 'bitch'; Yuna Kim, for example, is a huge jumper who knows the meaning of the word 'Lady.' And Katarina Witt, in her time. There's a reason why it's called the LADIES event.

That said, I would love to see Gracie continue in her lady-like progress. She CAN win and be a true beautiful Lady. Frank knows what he's doing.
    "Ladies" can't wear unitards?

vCash

How old are you?

vCash
    Kostner was so butch when she won her world title.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    There's a reason why it's called the LADIES event.
    I wish they'd call it the women's event

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Oh, Canada!

(Skate Canada site doesn't have specific URLs to events pages.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I saw Gracie's exhibition to Chicago and think she could have made it her SP instead of the mess she has now. I think someone mentioned this somewhere else on FSU.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    How old are you?

Me too
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Indeed. I find "Ladies" really jarring and irritating every time I see it. They are behind the times.

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast