Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

vCash
    I hope she gets rid of that mess of a FS. That was just horrid.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Then she shouldn't have promised that she'd never say goodbye and she shouldn't have gone.She was horrendous in DC and was lucky to finish where she did.Her "handlers" were so hell bent on packaging her as the "anti-Tara"..Who would have faulted a 16 yr old girl for realizing every skater's dream...and then saying.."I am going to finish high school and go to college.." As a teacher, I surely wouldn't have.
    Her handlers indeed blew it with their packaging of her; however, I wonder if she shouldn't have simply been allowed to enjoy her gold medal as Tara did. Her parents seemed absolutely hell bent on promoting her student side vs her skating side. As a result, she frankly didn't cash in on her fame when she was hot, she didn't get a pro career in favor of school and not only embarassed herself at 2003 Worlds but did worse when she attempted a pro career after school with SOI. She now seems to be in complete limbo: she has done nothing with her college degree and is trying to be a pro skating star with no jumps and skating programs that wouldn't be acceptable at No-Test level. I feel sorry for Sarah, she grabbed the brass ring in 2002, but promptly fell off the carousel horse and never recovered, skating-wise.

I hope for much better for Gracie.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Title-less
    vCash
    I like Gracie's free skate. It's better than last year's and with some minor tweaking it could become a great program :

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I think new costumes and cleaning out the frantic rubbish from the choreography would be enough if she does indeed like the music.
    I wouldn't say it's a matter of her liking the music, rather the suitability of music to her style of skating, whether the music highlights her strengths and minimizes her weaknesses.
    These current selections do the opposite IMO, which is why I hope Frank will start anew.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a matter of her liking the music, rather the suitability of music to her style of skating, whether the music highlights her strengths and minimizes her weaknesses.
    These current selections do the opposite IMO, which is why I hope Frank will start anew.
    What do you think is suitable?

To me, she still seems undefined. She could skate to anything, and the result would be reasonably good as long as the element layout is well planned.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    What do you think is suitable?

To me, she still seems undefined. She could skate to anything, and the result would be reasonably good as long as the element layout is well planned.
    I think she is defined at least by what she cannot do. And she simply cannot do pwetty pwincess. So what do they choose for her? The pwettiest of pwincesses in the pinkest of dresses, The Sleeping Beauty.

IMO, she should skate to powerful music that does not invoke the image of grace, economy of movement, lightness and effortless, floating quality that Gracie certainly does not possess. I thought about Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 for her with its power and positive energy but they didn't ask me.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Also, Skate Milwaukee was pretty dismal.
    I can think of loads of US Ladies who would love to be that dismal, ha!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I vote Totentanz for Gracie... far better vehicle for a 'power witch'.

vCash
    I think Gracie's look misleads people, even those that should be knowledgeable: Pretty, long-limbed, flexible with decent extension. This probably had a lot to do with her team giving her a pretty princess number(s). But her forte is speed, power, explosiveness.

My bet is FC finds some compromise to not disrupt Gracie in an Olympic year: keep the programs but rework the choreography?

vCash
    I don't have a whole lot of faith in Frank finding a 'look' for a ladies skater that doesn't involve super traditional feminine traits, but maybe that is just something that happens when he and Lori get together.

Gracie would be interesting to pick music and choreo for because while she has loads of power, she's not the least bit capable of anything dark, sultry or dramatic. Typically that's how power is handled in ladies skating.

Her power should be harnessed into something sassy and upbeat like ... bizarre love triangle!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    ... I thought about Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 for her with its power and positive energy but they didn't ask me.
    Great idea for Gracie! Indeed they should have asked you, or at least consider this music for a future program at the least ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSJ_woWnmk

vCash
    The FS is horrible, commencing with the constantly-flapping arms (a-la Radionova and other Russians). The flaps work only on reed-thin teeny-tiny girls with matchstick arms who appear boneless...not fully-grown women with curves and 'normal thickness' limbs, like Gracie.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    IMO, she should skate to powerful music that does not invoke the image of grace, economy of movement, lightness and effortless, floating quality that Gracie certainly does not possess. I thought about Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 for her with its power and positive energy but they didn't ask me.
    Ummm . . . that is simply brilliant . . . a winning program for Sochi . . . and something that both Gracie and Frank can do.

Maybe you need to e-mail or tweet somebody.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I was hoping that FC lurks here.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I could see the Tchaikovsky concerto working for her too.

It also occurred to me that in some ways Grace is like Nobunari Oda -- a technical phenom whose expressive range is not great. Oda just won Nebelhorn with a fantastic FP to the William Tell Overture, and I actually think Gracie could do a great job with the same piece. There is a lot more to the piece than the most famous tune, and in a way the music emotes FOR Oda. He skates most of the last section (which contains the most familiar melodies) with a big grin on his face, and I could see Gracie doing that too. It's a perfect ending for getting the audience to show "they're happy and they know it"!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkfzOPCFS88

vCash
    I think the Frank-Gracie match is perfect; however, the timing is strange. If this was three months ago, I'd be less worried.

Also, what worries me is Gracie's attitude. I'm getting some Nicole Bobek vibes...alot of back-and-forth and all-over-the-place-ness this season so far. Remember when she mentioned that if Frank took her on he'd have to take Carly on too? Calm down, princess. It's Frank Carroll. He can tell *you* what to do.

So far, a bit of a hot mess. Let's hope she can calm it down and straighten things out.

vCash
    Gold's first blog since she started with Frank Carroll: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...ngs-From-SoCal
    Excerpt:
    Luckily, I was able to start training with Frank Carroll towards the end of September. He's wonderful to work with. When anyone speaks of him, they invariably say, "He's not just a great coach, he's a great person." I understand why they say that. I really enjoy our lessons. He's intelligent and insightful. He's also very humorous in his examples and delivery.
    I thought I should talk briefly about my programs. They have generated a lot of feedback, positive and negative. Of particular concern seems to be my pink, princessy free skate dress. Apparently it's too juvenile for someone of my advanced years, lol! I admit to being a little torn over the interpretation of the music — pretty princess vs. Carabosse (powerful witch). I have since changed my thinking. I picture this Sleeping Beauty as beautiful and lovely, yes. But, instead of a weak and timid nature, this beauty has the heart of a lion! She's angry about the spell, she doesn't want to take a nap! She wants to dance! She wants to live! Like all of us, she's a mixed bag. She can be light and lovely or dark and moody. I will be debuting another dress at Skate Canada. This dress gives a nod to the beautiful princess dress, but with a touch of darkness and magic. My plan is to take both dresses to competitions and decide at each competition, which one I'm "feeling” and wear the correlating dress.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    So she is the Sleeping Beauty then? None of this "she's the witch" notion?

Looking forward to seeing her at SC!

vCash
    I wonder if she had help writing that or if she did it herself. Except for the "lol," it's very well written!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Best advice for Gracie this season is just land the jumps. Forget about over thinking your programs and just land the jumps. This year isn't going to be the one where she makes huge improvements. She got a new coach way too late into the season so she needs to work on her mental concentration. If she lands her jumps she will make the podium at just about every event except the Olympics just judging by her scores last season. Good to see that she admits things were spiraling out of control back in September it really showed in the way she skated. She needs to just take a deep breath and realize the prize at the end of the tunnel this season is making the Olympic team not becoming a great artist on the ice. That can wait till next year.
    Last edited by Jammers; 10-23-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast