Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    It looks like Gracie is now doing a 3lo out of steps as her solo triple in the SP, I think this is a smart idea, not only does she avoid getting a possible edge call on the flip, but doing the loop in the SP should help with her consistency on that jump, which she is very capable of doing beautifully but has had issues with in competition in past seasons.

vCash
    On a really shallow note, Gracie is maturing into an absolutely gorgeous girl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlercu View Post
    Katia Gordeeva skated to Three Preludes in the late '90s. The music cuts were IMO better, but it was still a little
    I loved Gordeeva's Three Preludes. I also liked Gracie's version when I first saw it in SLC. I find her version edgy and interesting. So there are some of us that like her short program and music this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Didn't see whether it was mentioned, but the music was originally written for solo piano; I think it sounds better that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soEUH4H7gog

(The sound quality is not great, but I think it's worth it to hear the composer play it!)
    OMG. What is Ashley and Gracie having crap programs this year? There are definitely way better versions of Three Preludes than that screeching version Gracie is using this season. And someone please tell her that flailing her arms everywhere is NOT artistry. Gracie is one of my favorite skaters and this is what happens when you criticize someone's artistry. Gracie isn't meant to be an artistic skater, and she won't be. So stop telling her that she's need to fix it. When you try to fix it, you end up with garbage like this. Same thing happened to Midori. Quite honestly, I thought Midori was way more artistic before she underwent an "artistic transformation" in the 90s.
    Last edited by smarts1; 10-25-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Regardless of the arms, I find Gracie very compelling to watch. She just has that "something" for me. *shrug* I hope the jumps are there for her this week.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    ^ Well judging from the run-through, the jumps weren't there...

Honestly, I agree too. She does have that something that makes champions. Unfortunately, these programs don't do her any justice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Regardless of the arms, I find Gracie very compelling to watch. She just has that "something" for me. *shrug* I hope the jumps are there for her this week.
    I agree. Sylvia noted that she landed some of her other triples during practice, but they were not in the SP run-through. Crossing my fingers they are there for her tomorrow. There is no question she can do the jumps, so I think it's nerves that are affecting her.

vCash
    I wouldn't worry about the jump problems in the first run-through. It was early in the day, and in a time zone that's 4 hours ahead of California. She was probably half asleep.

vCash
    She seemed to get adequate height, but couldn't pull in to rotate.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    She may not have been trying to rotate. As someone else mentioned, it was extremely early for her. Why risk a bad fall?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    It seemed Gracie had some nerves on her 2As this morning(via live streaming). Yes, it was very early in the morning so we'll see in next practice. As for the 3Lo as the single jump in SP, I thought it was a good choice to take her nerves away at this point. It's still early stage in the season so I hope she/Carroll focus on making her jumps close around clean. After SC or NHK Trophy she can brush up her programs to some extent. The second seaon in the senior field can be tough for skaters because of big pressure. Hope she gets by.
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    I caught Gracie's sp and it was alright, though I did miss her big huge jumps. Here's hoping she brings it when it actually counts.

btw I wish there was a video of Courtney Hicks practice; I heard the announcer say she would be skating after Gracie, but couldn't find it.

vCash
    Did Zueva choreograph Gordeeva's Three Preludes?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I loved Gordeeva's Three Preludes. I also liked Gracie's version when I first saw it in SLC. I find her version edgy and interesting. So there are some of us that like her short program and music this year.
    Here's Katia Gordeeva's Stars on Ice performance to "Three Preludes": http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16...preludes_music
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    Did Zueva choreograph Gordeeva's Three Preludes?
    Yes. She also choreographed Gordeeva's pro program.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Gracie seemed to skate with much more command then she ever has in her short career. I think one of the first things Frank worked on was to calm her down. From what the British Eurosport guys said Frank told Gracie that she didn't have to skate as fast or jump as high and it showed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's Katia Gordeeva's Stars on Ice performance to "Three Preludes": http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16...preludes_music
    I loved what Katia did with that piece -- relaxed and had fun and brought out the quirkiness of the music. Of course, that's easier to do in a show program! Loved the costume too.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I saw a little bit of Gracie's SP, and she has improved so so so much in terms of artistry. She is so much less stiff and seems so much more relaxed ever since switching to Frank. She's not "OMG AMAZING" in terms of artistry, but this is definitely an improvement!

Good luck to Gracie for the LP!!

vCash
    Any link to Gracie's SP??

vCash
    Gracie's SP

God that music is like finger nails on a blackboard.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Gracie kicked some major ass in her SP in Canada -- hopefully this will be a major confidence boost going into the FS. If Frank was able to help this much in the short time they've worked together, I am cautiously optimistic about the rest of her season and, barring a disaster, how she will skate in Sochi.

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast