Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Wait, Frank won't stand for windmilling? Evan powers several small, Dutch communities with the power of his arms.

vCash
    Interesting interesting.... well that just teared my hope for a Mirai and Frank Redeux at the Olympics Kiss n Cry to pieces!!
    All I am saying is nice PCS if you can try.

vCash
    I was wondering if some of Frank's time freed up for Gracie because a certain Olympic Gold Medalist has realized he might be too injured to make the Olympics. I dont know that Frank would stay with Gracie to the next quad , but I think that is thinking too far ahead. The career of a skater is so short and tenuous, she needs to do what she thinks is best for THIS Olympic season.

vCash
    Very sad, Axleander has been incredibly good for and to Gracie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Sale & Pelletier switched coaches at the start of the 2002 season. It didn't hurt them.

Leaving Frank at the start of the 2002 Olympic season hurt Michelle because she tried to do it on her own, without a coach.
    I believe S/P left Gauthier well before the "start" of the season. IIRC, it was in June, not in September as is the case here. It will be interesting to see how this works for Gracie. There must have been some reason she felt she needed other coaching.

vCash
    I'm not sure what to make yet of a coaching switch for Gracie; however, I just viewed her short program at the US Classic and felt that the music choice is too frantic. So, if she is going to change short programs she should do it soon obviously. But to stay on topic, it seems Gracie has a good work ethic so if she works with Frank he might be able to settle her down and get her mentally more relaxed before competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think Team Gracie wants to rule the world. She's not stepping away at 18.
    Maybe she started having jump issues, losing jumps, etc. and the Team panicked?

(Besides the obvious tons of political clout Frank C. has...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    It helped Mirai get to the Olympics and do very well there, even if the success was short-term.
    Gracie's coach has done about as much for her as Frank did for Mirai. Gracie hasn't been to the Olympics yet, but is on the verge. She was a World team member who did very well there. And Mirai was a National Champion before Frank. I would say, Frank or no Frank, Gracie's chances of medaling at the Olympics are very small. But she does need a lot of help in her presentation. Maybe Frank (and Lori Nichol?) can help her with that aspect of her skating. I do think USFSA sees Gracie as their hope for the future and probably had a role in her making this switch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I was wondering if some of Frank's time freed up for Gracie because a certain Olympic Gold Medalist has realized he might be too injured to make the Olympics.
    I think you're exactly right.

vCash
    We all know that she probably wont medal at olympics, but i think the switch to Carrol will improve her chances of top 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by n*ice mom View Post
    I didn't think Gracie's problem lied in her coaching, but in her choice of choreographers.
    I agree. I can't see leaving a coach that has brought her this far at this time. Maybe her parents hope she will pull off a Tara and be able to retire while a teenager. I will be surprised if Frank is still coaching in 4 years, so another change. Is her sister going with her? If she needs help in presentation, she hardly needs to do something so drastic. Few will probably agree with me, but this smacks of disloyalty.

vCash
    This is a strange situation. On one side, FC might be able to refine her look and presentation on the ice which everyone seems to agree is her biggest hurdle and yes, FC's schedule might be freer now than previously imagined.

OTOH, moving out to CA in September of an Olympic season and adapting to the ways of a new coach will be a little tough, regardless of how good that coach may be. No doubt. I'm also a little saddened by the way she left Ouriashev. It doesn't sound like a pleasant parting of ways and that could have some mental impact on the whole situation. I was surprised this was decided upon around Champs Camp.

Only time will tell ...

vCash
    We totally need more skaters to be taught 'straight-line jumping technique' in a sport which is all about edges.

I don't get this at all. Gold's jumps have been extremely impressive and her coach seemed very warm and supportive. I always think that the real test for any coach is being able to deal with their skater bombing. Ouriashev passed it. Carroll has failed it on a number of occasions.

Gold lacked an overall package. She isn't balletic in the slightest but that can be worked around by giving her staccato routines. Her choroegraphy has been very underwhelming so far, however, and her programs lacked both complexity and character. It's a new choroegrapher and performance coach that she needed, not a new technical coach.

Although, obviously there sure are things going on behind the scenes that none of us are even remotely aware of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
    .....so if she works with Frank he might be able to settle her down and get her mentally more relaxed before competitions.
    He doesn't strike me as a mentally comforting kind of coach.........

Check out his reaction when she bombs a few times.........

vCash
    Well, she is trying to be best she can be and there is so much headroom to grow on the presentation side. Athletically, she is probably one of the 2 or 3 best skaters in the World, when you consider the quality and difficulty of her jumps, spins and her powerful ice coverage. In terms of musicality, there a probably a dozen wonderbabies , much less Seniors, that are quite honestly better than her. Just from the first few JGP, I think Edmunds, Bell, Chen, Medvedeva, Proklova all interpret their music better and project more to the audience. There's so much untapped potential there, and Zueva hasn't made it happen so far. Who better than Carroll, perhaps with some help from Nichol?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Who better than Carroll, perhaps with some help from Nichol?
    Those two people would be pretty much my last choice as far as developing a skater's presentation is concerned.

Nichol has produced some very impressive work for Kostner but then it's Kostner. The vast majority of her other work is dull, interchangeable, safe and generic.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Relevant excerpt from Icenetwork's Ladies SP article:
    ... Gold parted ways with longtime coach Alex Ouriashev immediately after U.S. Figure Skating's Champs Camp in late August. She has trained in Canton, Mich., with Marina Zoueva and Oleg Epstein for much of the last three weeks. (The Gold family is not yet ready to announce a decision on a new coach.)

"Skating the whole day with ice dancers is different," Gold said. "They will say, 'Oh, that was a good run-through but I don't think you got your steps' level.' Because I think, 'I landed all my jumps.' They'll say, 'But what about that transition?' You get different feedback. I'm taking great strides, I think, trying to up that second mark."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    . I always think that the real test for any coach is being able to deal with their skater bombing. Ouriashev passed it. .
    How do you know this?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Relevant excerpt from Icenetwork's Ladies SP article:
    Surprised she's still working with Oleg Epstein since he is on the Ouriashev team?

vCash
    For those who believe that leaving a coach after the past few seasons of success that she has is puzzling, probably do not know anything about the circumstances that prompted the change. One has to believe that there were problems or issues with the situation - especially given the fact that she left her coach, before what is becoming an announcement that she is going to a new one.

I would think someone like Frank Carroll would not stoop to "poaching." Rather, he was approached once she had made her decision, and then he accepted. At this level, there can be all sorts of stipulations built into the relationship. Formal contracts are not uncommon with very specific items outlined, especially in terms of "who will be at the boards for certain key events" and "whether the coach would take on another direct competitor" etc.

I am not surprised that she is still working with Oleg Epstein, since he is also partnered with Zoueva, who is Gracie's choreographer. In fact, if you watch WHO is actually doing the coaching during the moments just before Gracie skated out to perform her short program, it is Zoueva who is holding her hands and looking into her eyes and giving her final words of encouragement. Her other coach looks very awkward, trying to appear useful, grabbing her water bottle, nodding a lot, etc. but he is not Gracie's focal point as she steps out to compete.

Los Angeles rinks will be awesome places to "stop by" in the coming months. Gotta' say it will probably help raise everyone's game to have all that heat and cat fur flying. Ashley. Gracie. Mirai. Courtney. Others? Agnes and Christina should do 2 day training road trips and train at Toyota or East/West just to stay "competition hazing" sharp in my opinion.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast