Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    V&M so far are the only one who got the SD right. All the others should start from scratch.
    D&W are doing a waltz, not a finnstep. It reminds me of the russians Domnina Shabalin who always were doing a waltz !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    V&M so far are the only one who got the SD right. All the others should start from scratch.
    D&W are doing a waltz, not a finnstep. It reminds me of the russians Domnina Shabalin who always were doing a waltz !!!
    D/W and D/S are not the only ones that waltz. V/M did a waltz last year with the Yankee Polka sequence thrown in.
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    D/W and D/S are not the only ones that waltz. V/M did a waltz last year with the Yankee Polka sequence thrown in.
    Except that this year waltz is not one of the choice of rhythme for the SD. It's suppose to be quickstep plus foxtrot or charleston or swing i think..

vCash
    Although a slow foxtrot may resemble a waltz, you can always tell it from a waltz:
    The foxtrot or fox trot is a smooth progressive dance characterized by long, continuous flowing movements across the dance floor. It is danced to big band (usually vocal) music, and the feeling is one of elegance and sophistication. The dance is similar in its look to waltz, although the rhythm is in a 4/ 4 time signature instead of 3/ 4.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtrot

Pretty much all the teams are getting this right time signatures for their numbers, including V&M and D&W.

YEAH!
    vCash
    So I'm not crazy? I was thinking the same. Some of D&W's choreo looks similar to the opening part of V&M's waltz SD from last year.

We haven't seen the top European couples yet so hopefully they'll do better.

vCash
    Foxtrot has that look/element of Waltz. Perhaps, maybe that's why some choose this. Also, i think the music pieces chosen to pair up with the season's finnstep pattern work for those couples - even if they're dancing to waltz. Overall, ones that are available to watch most have chosen a "jazzy" feel as their main music choice. Off topic from V/M, I was actually impressed with the opening of the Russian couple -Riazanova/Tkachenko dancing to "Chicago" (correct me if I'm wrong). Mind you, I found all the ice dancers' debut a bit rough but I do see potential in all of them. It would make a very interesting season ...and Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Although a slow foxtrot may resemble a waltz, you can always tell it from a waltz:

Pretty much all the teams are getting this right time signatures for their numbers, including V&M and D&W.
    Thank you. So very illuminating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    So I'm not crazy? I was thinking the same. Some of D&W's choreo looks similar to the opening part of V&M's waltz SD from last year.

We haven't seen the top European couples yet so hopefully they'll do better.
    Really? Not sure i see it...at least not at opening...more like some choreography bits throughout within their programs here and there. Surprising? Not really, again. Probably marina has to take a lot of time to come up with more new elements for both of them, if so.

I too am looking forward to see European couples! I've always like Bourzat/Pechalat

vCash

Doris, i stop reading one forum because of you. I read your like alwayse negative reaction on VM SD and of cause at that point you didnt know, that DW will waltzing in SD. For your information - chareston is allow rythm for this season SD. Waltz - no.
    All we could read Wiki. You could to try educate yourself and watch on youtube how walz and slow foxtrot look like.
    And please, dont answer on this message. Stay in your forum and your thread, dont start your bothering lection without any knowledge background.

Banned Member
    vCash

Have you changed your mind again about V/M's and D/W's music? On GS, you first said V/M's music is good for Finnstep, and then you saw D/W's SD, suddenly you started to say V/M's music has flaws and the judges may not like it but prefer D/W's choice. So what are you think of it now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianFSFan View Post
    Really? Not sure i see it...at least not at opening...more like some choreography bits throughout within their programs here and there. Surprising? Not really, again. Probably marina has to take a lot of time to come up with more new elements for both of them, if so.

I too am looking forward to see European couples! I've always like Bourzat/Pechalat
    I'm not seeing it either I think it looks more like DF - even the opening positions are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Thank you. So very illuminating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Doris, i stop reading one forum because of you. I read your like alwayse negative reaction on VM SD and of cause at that point you didnt know, that DW will waltzing in SD. For your information - chareston is allow rythm for this season SD. Waltz - no.
    All we could read Wiki. You could to try educate yourself and watch on youtube how walz and slow foxtrot look like.
    And please, dont answer on this message. Stay in your forum and your thread, dont start your bothering lection without any knowledge background.
    You should never rely on wikipedia, or at least never admit to your teacher you used that as one of your sources

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    You should never rely on wikipedia, or at least never admit to your teacher you used that as one of your sources
    I know this, i am working in Academy

vCash
    Welcome *Ice Princess* and all the other new members! I hope you enjoy the discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by frisette70 View Post
    Except that this year waltz is not one of the choice of rhythme for the SD. It's suppose to be quickstep plus foxtrot or charleston or swing i think..
    Exactly, frisette70. The criticism about V&M using a waltz last season made no sense to me as the waltz was one of the specific rhythms called for by the rules for the SD last year. I agree that the foxtrot isn't yet coming through in D&W's SD and that it does take more of the form of a waltz which, as you mentioned, is not included in the prescribed rhythms this year. D&W traditionally struggle with conveying rhythm, so I am not surprised to see this at this point in the season, but I hope to see them find a groove as the season goes on (and I have hope, as it took them until WTT to get the mood changes and lilt for Die Fledermaus, but it sure was worth the wait). I really like their step sequence, especially the opening with the swinging legs before the double twizzle, but I hope they rework the choreography for the rest of the SD and add some special touches and a lot more character. Their strength lies in the elements, so I anticipate this being a bit of a struggle for them but it will be a good challenge. The costumes look great on them!

As Cherub said, we have yet to see the top European teams and I have high hopes for P&B and C&L, who are fabulous dancers. In fact, I think this Finnstep will really allow the better dancers to shine.

I also agree that V&M nailed this one. You can clearly see the foxtrot and quickstep rhythms, complete with those extra little touches that bring the music to life. They manage to convey the interplay between Louis and Ella through their movements, the way they play off each other. Jean-Marc put together a little gem and I cannot wait to see it develop over the course of the season.

For those who are not familiar with the origins of the Finnstep, I thought I'd post the OD from which it is derived, from the wonderful Rahkamo&Kokko (okay, this is also an opportunity to share one of my favourite dances from one of my all-time favourite teams). Just look at how they turn the ice into the ballroom. Pure dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieH0uk-cks
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 09-17-2013 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    Thanks Mel. It's refreshing to read your post.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Dd
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    Exactly, frisette70. The criticism about V&M using a waltz last season made no sense to me as the waltz was one of the specific rhythms called for by the rules for the SD last year. I agree that the foxtrot isn't yet coming through in D&W's SD and that it does take more of the form of a waltz which, as you mentioned, is not included in the prescribed rhythms this year. D&W traditionally struggle with conveying rhythm, so I am not surprised to see this at this point in the season, but I hope to see them find a groove as the season goes on (and I have hope, as it took them until WTT to get the mood changes and lilt for Die Fledermaus, but it sure was worth the wait). I really like their step sequence, especially the opening with the swinging legs before the double twizzle, but I hope they rework the choreography for the rest of the SD and add some special touches and a lot more character. Their strength lies in the elements, so I anticipate this being a bit of a struggle for them but it will be a good challenge. The costumes look great on them!
    Good points you touched on. Agreed. YouTube piece made by silveredge27 of their (D/W) dance is close to what my reaction on viewing it that first time. No mention of the twizzles, of course, that I commented earlier in this thread. I was just hoping for a different one for them to try this season. Anyhow, that's minor. I thought also it a better feel if M's dress was closer in time period with C's since I am relating it to MFL. Kind of like the one scene Audrey H wore dancing with Prince at the Ball. Don't get me wrong...I like the costume now...just felt a bit of disparity between the two because of it. Again, minor details...

Btw, I am equally critical of my favorites as well...so don't blast me if I ever do comment on something

For those who are not familiar with the origins of the Finnstep, I thought I'd post the OD from which it is derived, from the wonderful Rahkamo&Kokko (okay, this is also an opportunity to share one of my favourite dances from one of my all-time favourite teams). Just look at how they turn the ice into the ballroom. Pure dancing.

Lovely! Thanks for sharing this
    Last edited by AsianFSFan; 09-17-2013 at 09:01 PM.

vCash
    BKFan,
    thanks for sharing that link to Rahkamo&Kokko. Watching it just reinforces in my mind that Tessa & Scott have got the right music picked with the correct tempo as well as the flavour of both dances they are performing. Looking forward to seeing how smooth this becomes and how many other nuances they might add to their SD.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post
    Love it. Thanks MissJD.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash

Thank you!! Wow! They really seems in a ballroom and not on the ice!! Just great!! It's the same thing that I feel when I watch V&M'SD... They imperson perfectly the character of the music... You can really see them dancing on forxtrot-finnstep rithyms...

I can't wait to see this SD with 1 month of changes

vCash
    i've been working on a series for the new music selection and it's done.

the soundtrack for the olympic season: my introduction
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/...ic-season.html

for this introduction, i wanted to try to understand the importance of the free dance music to russian history and nationalism, and give a little insight on romanticism by talking about the romantic poets. romanticism is an overarching concept that shaped music, art, thought and literature. i thought that reading about romanticism in poetry would be helpful as you try to listen to it in music

stars shining bright in the short dance (lori's contribution)
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/...ort-dance.html

lori writes about her love of ella and what it was like to see ella perform in person at one of her last concerts. she also does a wonderful job of explaining the power of ella and louis as a duo, and shows the amazing connections and parallels to tessa and scott's own partnership.

introduction to lety's series: the romantic period in classical music
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/...tic-music.html

catherinec's commentary on the free dance music as a musician and music student.
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/...-concerto.html

catherinec's run-through of the "concerto"
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/...-concerto.html

thanks to everyone who participated. it was a pleasure working with you and sharing your ideas on the blog.
    Last edited by iggie; 09-18-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast