Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado floods

vCash

Colorado floods

I saw it on TV this morning. Boulder, Colorado and areas near it are facing scary floods, apparently caused by snow on the mountains melting. Could this be due to Global warming? Regardless of the cause, I hope our fsu friends in CO are safe.

There have been 3 deaths reported. I hope there won't be any more.

http://www.cnn.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I saw it on TV this morning. Boulder, Colorado and areas near it are facing scary floods, apparently caused by snow on the mountains melting.
    Where did you hear that about the snow? That doesn't make any sense at all, especially since the snow should have been gone by June/July, at least the majority of it.
    Virginia news reported that the flooding is caused by flood-like rain which, in return, is caused by an extreme cold front and warm front which clashed. That kind of rain fall is, apparently, more common in the caribbean and the water doesn't know where to go other than through Boulder because of the mountains.

vCash
    Actually torrential rainfall -- more than 12" in 24 hours rather than snowmelt. Flooding is widespread, from downtown Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park), Longmont, Lyons (cut off -- National Guard evacuating folks), Jamestown (badly cut off, helicopter evac underway), Boulder, Evergreen and lots of flooding in the flatlands to the east. I-25 was shut down heading towards Wyoming, and lots of other roads are also shut with quite a few washouts. The rain has started again, unfortunately.

Making the Weather Channel is generally a Very Bad Thing.

vCash
    It's due to the amount of rain we have had, Colorado doesn't get much rain usually, but most of this week has been nothing but rain which is quite unusual. Boulder and areas nearby have had bad flooding and there have been casualties...but it's not due to snow melting, it's because of the non-stop rain. (I live south in Denver and work in Boulder, so i'd say that I'm a reliable source

vCash
    Stay safe DimaToe and any other fsu friends in the area. Hate reading these threads, sorry there have been casualties already

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Where did you hear that about the snow? That doesn't make any sense at all, especially since the snow should have been gone by June/July, at least the majority of it.
    Virginia news reported that the flooding is caused by flood-like rain which, in return, is caused by an extreme cold front and warm front which clashed. That kind of rain fall is, apparently, more common in the caribbean and the water doesn't know where to go other than through Boulder because of the mountains.
    I may have misinterpreted when I was watching TV and getting ready to go to work in a hurry. I know of one country (India) that has floods because of snow melting in the Himalayas. I may have erroneously drawn parallels.

vCash
    More weird weather. Hope everyone here stays safe and dry.

vCash
    Stay safe, all of you in Colorado! The same kind of rain (plus some snow pack) is what hit the Calgary area so hard in late June. I hope injuries and damage is minimal...{{{{{hugs}}}}}
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Officials have confirmed a 4th death, with several people still missing.

vCash
    The 4th death was the young woman who was missing and was with the young man who died the other day.

Vash, here’s a simplified version of how the flooding came about.
    Earlier in the week high pressure set up out east over Kansas. The clockwise circulation around that high sucked up moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. At the same time an upper low was to the west. The counterclockwise circulation brought in moisture from the west coast of Mexico.
    With a high to the east and low to the west, a strong southerly flow set up funneling moisture northward over (mostly) eastern Colorado. Keep in mind that as the terrain rises moisture is wrung out of the atmosphere. Picture a soaked towel getting squeezed. Then add a cold front dropping down from the north which helped pushed the moisture laden air back toward the mountains. Some of the worst affected areas could easily get another inch or more of rain. There’s still a lot of moisture still “downstream” over New Mexico moving toward Colorado.
    The ground is already saturated and the drainages coming out of the mountains are all narrow steep canyons.
    Another upper level trough will be moving through the area later today. Later tonight another cold front is forecast to drop into NE Colorado. Things should dry out somewhat by Monday.

September is typically a dry, sunny month. Monsoon moisture flow like this is usually done by Labor Day. The average September rainfall for Boulder (at the mouth of one of the canyons) is 1.63 inches. From Monday afternoon to Friday midday, 14.62 inches of rain had fallen in Boulder. 9 inches of that fell on Thursday.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    September is typically a dry, sunny month. Monsoon moisture flow like this is usually done by Labor Day. The average September rainfall for Boulder (at the mouth of one of the canyons) is 1.63 inches. From Monday afternoon to Friday midday, 14.62 inches of rain had fallen in Boulder. 9 inches of that fell on Thursday.
    That's very similar to what happened in the mountains west of Calgary and in the Calgary area in June. Neither region is used to getting that amount of rain in such a short time. I have a feeling though, with climate change, we may be seeing more of that in the future.

Sending my thoughts to all those afflicted by the floods...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    Vash, here’s a simplified version of how the flooding came about.
    Good job explaining the situation, Sassafras! I live in Fort Collins and we have extensive flooding and bridge closures. I am out of state watching the Weather Channel coverage, and this is reminiscent of the 1976 flood in Big Thompson Canyon, only this time the rain covers the entire Front Range and is lasting for 5 days. For those of you not from the West, the amount of rain we've received is equivalent to the entire year's precipitation falling in 3 days (15" is normal for the year). And to make matters worse, many of the affected foothill areas have had massive wildfires recently and have no ground cover vegetation, leading to mudslides and soil erosion into the rivers.

vCash
    Glen Haven aftermath. Glen Haven is 8 miles north of Estes Park, Colorado on Devils Gulch Rd. The road runs north out of Estes Park, through Glen Haven then curves back around to meet up with Highway 34 at Drake. Highway 34 is in the photo in my previous post.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    This is so tragic for Colorado. My thoughts & prayers are with all the people affected by this.

vCash
    According to CNN more rains are forecasted and hundreds are missing.

vCash
    The count of missing is ...peculiar. They haven't released any lists of names of the missing. For all I know our names could be on the list. My guess is that as soon as they release the list, quite a few names will clear very quickly. I don't know what they're trying to accomplish by not publishing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    The count of missing is ...peculiar. They haven't released any lists of names of the missing. For all I know our names could be on the list. My guess is that as soon as they release the list, quite a few names will clear very quickly. I don't know what they're trying to accomplish by not publishing it.
    Are there evacuations centres where you can check in? There were a number of people missing during the time following the floods in Alberta, but a lot of those people checked into evac centres and were taken off the lists.

Good luck down there!

vCash
    As of this morning there are still hundreds missing,but they are hoping that they are just displaced and can't communicate,not missing. I have to write and article about this probably today.

vCash
    The death toll has reached 7
    Several are still missing

having a nice day
    vCash
    Stay safe and stay out of the water-the oil and gas rigs and storage tanks full of nasty driling crap have busted loose and contaminated god knows whatall :-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast