Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The tuning of Miki Ando after the maternity leave seems to be going very well.

This is an article in "Yomiuri Shinmbun" In Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

September 12th, 2013

The photo:
    Photography: by Haruka Takahashi
    Miki Ando who made public the practice. (in Yokohama city in 1:42 a.m. in September 12th)
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/zoom/20130912-OYT9I00329.htm

In Yokohama city in the early dawn in September 12th, Yoshiko Kobayashi, the general manager of figure skating in Japan Skating Federation inspected the practice of Miki Ando (Shinyokohama Prince Club) who aims at Sochi Olympics, returning to the competition from this autumn for the first time in three seasons.

In the practice for 1 hour 15 minutes, Ando landed the 4 kinds of jumps which contain Lutz which is said to be most difficult among 5 kinds of triple jumps.
    She showed the satisfactory adjustment, such as she had the triple-triple combination-jump also land several times.

Ando has left from the competition for past 2 seasons and gave a childbirth in April this year. She is out of the certified athlete of JSF in this season
    The figure skating division of JSF will return Ando to the certified athlete according to the condition of execution of Kanto championship ( October 11th - the 14th Shin-yokohama ) which is her first match. Then JSF will send her to International Competition before the Japan Nationals.

Kobayashi, the general manager of figure skating division said "I was surprised because her jump has recovered to this level in a few periods after the childbirth. I think that her tuning is going very well ".

Aiming at the return to the competition, Ando was enthusiastic, saying "I must more raise the probability of the triple jump. I would like to practice tightly while sighting at the end of the season".

The article:
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news...htm?from=ylist

The Olympic participation qualifier in Japan Skating Federation is the one who has satisfied a minimum technical point for the Olympic participation which was specified by ISU before the time of the Japan Nationals.

Miki Ando must satisfy the technical minimum point in the international competition before Japan Nationals because she doesn't satisfy the minimum technical point because she has taken a rest for two seasons.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 09-13-2013 at 02:07 AM.

vCash
    Does she have a coach yet?

Quadless
    vCash
    Thank you for the news, Akira. I have a soft spot for Miki and hope she has a satisfying season, whatever the outcome.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Thank you for the news, Akira. I have a soft spot for Miki and hope she has a satisfying season, whatever the outcome.
    ITA. Hooray for Miki!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    thanks so much for this article, great news.
    i think the missing jump was the flip, always kinda 'unsure' element of hers.

you could see in the foi performance, that her triple salchow has improved much since her last exhibition, although the axel haven't seemed that promising, but fingers are crossed.

i really hope that miki (with s/s one of my all time favourites) will get her satisfying end to an great career.

and hopefully i will be able to see her live at nrw trophy

vCash
    I think it's great that she's trying to come back but then again I don't like that she's coming back b/c that means she will bump either Kanako or Akiko off of the team (Mao is pretty much a shoo-in for Sochi). Kanako and Akiko have been competing for this last quad and, IMO, have earned their trip to Sochi. I really hope they have stellar performances at nationals this year and get those two spots.

vCash
    Isn't she temporarily working with yuko monna as her coach, with a permenant coach to be announced?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think it's great that she's trying to come back but then again I don't like that she's coming back b/c that means she will bump either Kanako or Akiko off of the team (Mao is pretty much a shoo-in for Sochi). Kanako and Akiko have been competing for this last quad and, IMO, have earned their trip to Sochi. I really hope they have stellar performances at nationals this year and get those two spots.
    i agree with you, that it will be sad, that one of those 3 has to stay at home and will likely get the worlds spot, but i want you to remember that miki is a world champion in this quad, too.
    the others can ensure their tickets or working towards ensurance during the grand prix series, miki has just that one shot at nationals

vCash
    Kanto (Kanto Regional) Championship (one of five block competitions in Japan) which is the first step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals.
    http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...ock2/index.htm

Date: 11-14 Octover, 2013
    venue: Shiyokohama Skate Center in Yokohama city

The entries of Ladies:
    http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...2/data0200.htm

Miki Ando
    Miwako Iwanaga
    Mio Suzuki
    Hikaru Nasuno
    Honoka Kawanishil
    Yuka Touyama

next step:
    Higashi Nihon (or Eastern Section of Japan) Championship (one of two area competitions in Japan) which is the second step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals.

Date: 1-4 November, 2013
    Venue: Gunma prefecture General Sports Center Ice Arena
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 09-13-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I have a soft spot for Miki
    So have I.

Many thanks, Akira.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Thank you, Akira. This is encouraging news. I hope Miki has a great season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    What makes you think she will even make the team. I like Miki but I think her making the team is unlikely at this point.

I do wonder realistically what is a satisfying end to her career for people. I think at this point it cant be any crazy goals (although making the Olympic team, while unlikely, isnt quite to the point of crazy).

vCash
    I would not bet against her making the Olympic team even though it seems unlikely now. But if that does not work out, I guess a third World title would be a pretty satisfying wrap. : )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohashibiles View Post
    What makes you think she will even make the team. I like Miki but I think her making the team is unlikely at this point.

I do wonder realistically what is a satisfying end to her career for people. I think at this point it cant be any crazy goals (although making the Olympic team, while unlikely, isnt quite to the point of crazy).
    i can give you an answer for myself. miki said she wanted to quit competitve skating on a high note with a great competition. so i just wish, she could fulfill her dream, i think maing the olympic team would be quite a satisfying for her, or even a great performance at worlds.

vCash
    Miki appeared in one of the latest "JUST DO IT" series of Nike Japan.
    Nike Japan official channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWUeRxoKT1U

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Miki appeared in one of the latest "JUST DO IT" series of Nike Japan.
    Nike Japan official channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWUeRxoKT1U
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Nike Presents: JUST DO IT.
    There is pleasure of the success behind the failure.
    0:06
    Because the feeling that clash against ice by the lack of rotation was ever since childhood, I felt the fear for the first time when I returned to the ice.
    0:20
    I could experience the pleasure once again when I could succeed the jump.
    0:31
    I came across the skates at the time of 9 years old and got a big dream.
    Sometimes there are time not to be able to find what I should do.
    0:45
    In such a case, I don't be impatient.
    If I enjoy what I can enjoy first and then, if I can draw a dream, I think that it is ideal.

http://nike.jp/justdoit/ando

There is pleasure of the success just behind a failure.

The message from athlete:
    While having fun, I would like to draw on the rink the dream which I got from the figure skating.

In the ISU official competition in 2002, she achieved the spectacular achievement, namely she succeeded in the quad Salchow for the first time in the history of Ladies of the world.
    She won the Worlds champion in 2007 and 2011.
    For her who said that she had never aimed at the 1st place, what kind of existence is a skate really?
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 09-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    All the best Miki

vCash
    That is beautiful footage of Miki. It is a rare commercial that seems actually to reveal the athlete, but in a short space they showed a lot of who she is as a skater. I cant quite make out the meaning of the text but it sounds pretty aurhentic as well.

vCash
    I for one wish Miki an amazing journey and I truly hope she feels happy and satisfied with her season. The Nike ad is really artistic. Love it.

O-

vCash
    Eislauffan has confirmed in the Nebelhorn Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry that Miki Ando will compete in Oberstdorf next week.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast