Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

Any questions for 1962 World Champ Don Jackson? Upcoming interview with Manleywoman

Hi all. I got a lovely call from Don Jackson today who said he'd love to do an interview with me this Sunday. He listened to my Carol Heiss interview to check me out first and liked it. Thanks to PJ Kwong for hooking us up.

So I'm opening the floor for questions! If you have any for the man who landed the first triple lutz, let me know!

His 1962 Worlds Free Program with the first ever triple lutz

Thanks.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I'd like to know how he and his coach decided to train the triple lutz and to include it in the program. I recall reading that he had actually landed it in practice just a few times before he did it in competition. If that's correct, putting it in the program must have taken a lot of guts.

I'd also like to hear him talk about the other jumps in his program, particularly the forward-takeoff, counterclockwise jump at about 2:16 in the video. (He was normally a clockwise jumper.) Where did that come from?

vCash
    He came to the adult competition in Germany a few years ago and IIRC was honourary team leader for the Canadians, as well as being supportive to everyone who was there. And since he was landing double and triple jumps very recently, he is a great role model for all older skaters. So I'd like to hear his thoughts on the development of adult skating programs (I mean learn-to-skate programs, and test systems) and competitions, and where he thinks adult skating could go in the future.
    Last edited by overedge; 09-12-2013 at 06:11 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    He's so great! I'd like to hear his opinions on the IJS scoring system.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    he was landing double and triple jumps very recently.

No questions, but I will certainly be on the lookout for this one!

vCash
    1. How did he get interested in figure skating?
    2. What was the most enjoyable/interesting location he skated?
    3. What were the specific things he learned in figure skating and how they affected his non-skating life?
    4. What current skater is he most excited about?
    5. What is his favorite performance of another skater (any era)?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Can you ask him how he learned his delayed axel? I believe he was on the Gus Lussi tapes?

vCash
    That might seriously have been one of the best competitive performances I have ever seen. He did transitions before they were invented! Gorgeously full program, not a second of emptiness. We should count the elements, unbelievable. Am I crazy or did he jump both ways? Oh ya, Vagabond mentioned it above. WOW. Also the spin into jump. So creative. Why isn't the 3lutz called the Jackson Lutz?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    That might seriously have been one of the best competitive performances I have ever seen. He did transitions before they were invented!
    Well, maybe they were just called "skating" and not "transitions" -- but before triple jumps or even double jumps were common, the programs weren't all about setting up jumps, so all those other skills took equal importance.

Only after jump count became so important that skaters took out more and more of the other stuff in order to focus on jumps did it become important to write in rules to reward putting other stuff back in.

vCash
    I'm looking forward to this interview. I still have a few more of your podcasts to listen to. Thank you for the great interviews.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Am I crazy or did he jump both ways?
    No, he did.

Why isn't the 3lutz called the Jackson Lutz?
    Well, none of the rotational jumps are called after the people who did them first.

So, was his music Carmen, or was that added to the track. Can we blame him for the overuse, or did he continue an already set trend?

Amazing program.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    There are champions and then there are Champions. Mr. Jackson is the latter!!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Can I give him a hug? (Oh, you mean real questions.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'd like to know how he feels the loss of school figures has impacted how elite skaters skate.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I'd like to know how he feels the loss of school figures has impacted how elite skaters skate.
    I'm also curious whether Jackson noted any trend in the quality of the school figures from the time he was competing to the time they were removed.

vCash
    Just thank him, on our behalf, for all he's done for the sport.
    I envy you!

vCash
    1. I think it would be interesting to understand how he developed the technique that he used in his jumps. IF you look closely at the historic lutz in particular, his legs are neatly pressed together SIDE BY SIDE. Not crossed at the ankles as 99.9% of skaters do today. Incredible amount of core/groin/torque going on when one is rotating that quickly/that many times. How did this approach come about for him?

2. He was in a unique vantage point of being amongst North America's elite skaters during the horrific trajedy of the US plane crash. Would love to have him share some thoughts on the skaters and coaches who perished. And by this I mean, something beyond "saying the nice things that we all would expect to hear when remembering someone fondly in a eulogy" I bet he has some stories about these wonderful, beautiful and talented young athletes that would absolutely bring them to life. I personally don't need scandal. But it would be lovely to hear something with 'color' about them.

4. In the same way, what were his thoughts "the moment he heard about the crash" ... "the moment worlds were cancelled - obviously disappointing, but how did he himself handle it"

5. He also must have know many of the greats when they were younger. Some of whom have passed (Carlo Fassi) and some of whom we hardly knew of when they were younger (Dick Button?). I love the "oral history" stuff, so would be great to archive the stories behind some of these legends, in my opinion.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I'd like to know how he stays in shape after watching that video. Maybe give us some tips about exercises and his diet.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    not a question, but an anecdote about the amazing mr Jackson. last year he was on the ice coaching an adult skater. He showed us that he still has such incredible blade mastery, that he wrote his name in cursive on the ice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast