Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

TSL interviews Jamie Sale

vCash
    Here comes the endless debate about 2002 pairs LP again.

Well, very good interview as always. I liked how Jamie acknowledged the mesmerizing and effortless qualities of B&S's skating and I also agree with her on some of the critics she made, especially on the IJS. However, I find it amusing that she doesn't want to talk more about Johnny Weir because she doesn't like drama. Yeah, sure

Anyway, always great to see the wonderful highlights (in particular the extracts from Tristan & I, Love Story's beautiful throw triple loop at SLC, and the exquisitely choreographed end of Orchid ).

vCash
    Fabulous interview. I'm very impressed with Jamie's responses.

Keep up the great work, TSL.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There have always been two views on professionalism: either to push the boundaries and risk mistakes or to aim for a comfortable program that the skater can do on little sleep, after being cramped on an overnight bus, despite jetlag, on different ice (or stage) conditions, when ill or off, unhappy or sad. A ballet dancer at a gala can do "The Dying Swan" instead of the "Don Q" fan or "Esmeralda" tambourine variation and still have the audience eating out of her hands (or his, if it's the Trocks).

It's fine that Sale and Pelletier decided to push the envelope on lifts; good for them. If Rochette is doing "comfortable" jump content she knows will work, while working to become a more outgoing and versatile performer, I'm happy to pay to see her do this, and the screaming crowds where I've seen CSOI aren't complaining. I don't remember Sale and Pelletier doing many jumps as professionals, so they were cherry picking their elements, and the smaller show arenas make some of the harder jumps very difficult, which doesn't apply to S/P's throws, for example, and Pelletier can control lift ice coverage by limiting the number of rotations. Comparing the new professionals to Browning is ridiculous, because he's had over a decade more performing experience, and when he pushes the envelope, it's a 2A sequence and a 3T. (Or maybe 3S). He's that good that it doesn't really matter, and from what I have seen of at least the CSOI cast, they're aiming for that kind of performance quality. Did jumpless "Nyah" not count?

I think her comments about Weir and "drama" should be taken in context, which is that he gets the attention for not doing much in skating in NA, and the US media gives him the attention they should be giving other skaters. For example, they could write more articles about Lysacek's comeback
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 09-12-2013 at 07:24 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    Fabulous interview. I'm very impressed with Jamie's responses.

Keep up the great work, TSL.
    ITA. Really enjoyed the interview and how Jamie handled herself. They asked some tough questions, especially about her personal life, but I feel she was pretty honest and handled it well. It was really interesting to hear how they handled the year leading up to the Olympics. Surrounding themselves with positive was obviously a great strategy. I really enjoyed watching some of the clips of their skating, and Anton & Elena's too. Makes me want to go back and rewatch the whole performance. I'd forgotten just how much I loved Love Story!

vCash
    Loved the interview too. Aww, Orchid...I haven't watched that program in ages.

I also love it whenever Jamie mentions how David never. missed. a. jump. Even when he tripped before the double axel in the gpf, he was still able to execute it properly.

vCash
    I thought Yuka Sato was this week.

vCash
    That question about Putin's anti-gay propoganda laws was totally botched. It's clear she didn't really know anything about it.

I disagree that S/P would have won under IJS.

Still, good interview. She seems happy.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

I disagree that S/P would have won under IJS.
    Well what else would you expect Lori Nichol to say?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Given the inflated transitions scores that have been thrown around, I wouldn't be surprised if they would have.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    That question about Putin's anti-gay propoganda laws was totally botched. It's clear she didn't really know anything about it.
    She seemed to not know much about a lot of things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha is DIVINE View Post
    She seemed to not know much about a lot of things.
    Like words with more than three syllables.

Snarks aside, I loved the interview and I love the way Jenny and Dave are able to get skaters to answer honestly and not repeat the same PC responses we've been hearing for the last fifteen years.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Not every skater wants to be a politician or even discuss this issue.

vCash
    The delusion is strong with this one. How she can even try to justify that they deserved to beat B&S is laughable. And her tirade against Johnny seemed to come out of nowhere. I take comfort that it seems like David dumped her ass.

vCash
    The things she said about Johnny were so terrible. I hope it isnt since she is homophobic. She should meet Johnny and give him a big hug and apologize.

vCash
    Have never been a particular fan of hers, but she gave a good interview. For someone who says she doesn't like drama, she certainly created a lot of it at Salt Lake City with her whining . Love
    Story always seemed more exhibition than competition to me. I think the judges got it right. I agree the media should show more interest in skaters other than Johnny, especially with regards to gay rights. Interview someone like Matt Savoie about it once in awhile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha is DIVINE View Post
    The delusion is strong with this one. How she can even try to justify that they deserved to beat B&S is laughable. And her tirade against Johnny seemed to come out of nowhere. I take comfort that it seems like David dumped her ass.
    Classy.

The delusion is indeed strong, but it's not coming from Jamie...

vCash
    I was all set to dislike this interview, as Jamie has always rubbed me the wrong way, but I'll admit I like her much better now.

While I was never a Sale/Pelletier fan (I loved B/S), I'm one who thought--and still thinks--they deserved gold over B/S in '02. But I guess I'm just a sucker for a clean program. Interestingly, I went into the archives of this forum, to see what posters here said about the results at the time (I wasn't an FSU member back then). It was 99% in favor of S/P. Oh, how times have changed...

Overall, I thought Jamie's TSL interview was really good. I give her (and David P.) credit for handling a difficult situation (their divorce) so maturely. She obviously doesn't follow skating that closely these days, but she admitted it. As for her comments regarding Johnny, I don't see that she said anything particularly inflammatory. She complimented his skating, but said she'd rather hear from those skaters who have been regularly competing over the past few seasons. Even if she doesn't like him, the answer was respectful enough and seemed like an honest one, at least to me.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    There have always been two views on professionalism: either to push the boundaries and risk mistakes or to aim for a comfortable program that the skater can do on little sleep, after being cramped on an overnight bus, despite jetlag, on different ice (or stage) conditions, when ill or off, unhappy or sad. A ballet dancer at a gala can do "The Dying Swan" instead of the "Don Q" fan or "Esmeralda" tambourine variation and still have the audience eating out of her hands (or his, if it's the Trocks).

It's fine that Sale and Pelletier decided to push the envelope on lifts; good for them. If Rochette is doing "comfortable" jump content she knows will work, while working to become a more outgoing and versatile performer, I'm happy to pay to see her do this, and the screaming crowds where I've seen CSOI aren't complaining. I don't remember Sale and Pelletier doing many jumps as professionals, so they were cherry picking their elements, and the smaller show arenas make some of the harder jumps very difficult, which doesn't apply to S/P's throws, for example, and Pelletier can control lift ice coverage by limiting the number of rotations. Comparing the new professionals to Browning is ridiculous, because he's had over a decade more performing experience, and when he pushes the envelope, it's a 2A sequence and a 3T. (Or maybe 3S). He's that good that it doesn't really matter, and from what I have seen of at least the CSOI cast, they're aiming for that kind of performance quality. Did jumpless "Nyah" not count?

I think her comments about Weir and "drama" should be taken in context, which is that he gets the attention for not doing much in skating in NA, and the US media gives him the attention they should be giving other skaters. For example, they could write more articles about Lysacek's comeback
    Joannie Rochette is the last professional skater that I would ever criticize (of the relatively new crop). She is always very polished...and more than well her her way to becoming the Yuka/Kristi replacement.

I enjoyed the interview. I rolled my eyes at the "drama" comment..because I could.

vCash
    She was very honest in her answers--I liked that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast