Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I'm just wondering why would someone even think to ask to be a beneficiary on an ex's plan if there are no children involved? I don't understand the reasoning there. People move on with other relationships, so if George married someone else, of course the new wife would be the beneficiary--not the ex. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here.
    Sometimes people will ask for this kind of thing in lieu of or to bolster retirement benefits. For example, some friends of mine got divorced. She was entitled to a big chunk of his retirement benefits down the line, but she and the husband agreed to the life insurance policy instead; he figured it would be cheaper for him in the long run (he was probably right) and she figured it would be more secure (she was probably right). He has another life insurance policy that names his second wife beneficiary.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I also don't understand why someone should be entitled to someone else's retirement benefits ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Sometimes people will ask for this kind of thing in lieu of or to bolster retirement benefits. For example, some friends of mine got divorced. She was entitled to a big chunk of his retirement benefits down the line, but she and the husband agreed to the life insurance policy instead; he figured it would be cheaper for him in the long run (he was probably right) and she figured it would be more secure (she was probably right). He has another life insurance policy that names his second wife beneficiary.
    Right. Also, in those long-term marriage cases where the former spouse could be entitled to spousal support for the rest of his/her life or very long-term depending on the circumstances (although there are formulas for calculating support, ultimately each case is viewed on a case-by-case basis), the former spouse often requests and gets named as a beneficiary to a life insurance policy. The reason is simple: What if the earning spouse passes away shortly after the divorce? It does make some sense, though I personally believe support should be strictly rehabilitative.

As far as the domestic alternation, I don't believe either Zimmerman or his soon-to-be ex or her father.

O-

vCash
    I also don't understand why someone should be entitled to someone else's retirement benefits ....
    Because, often times, those or a portion of those retirement benefits were earned during the marriage.

O-

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Because you supported them during the time they were earning them.

Also, in every negotiation like this, you ask for a little more than you expect to get. I have a life insurance policy that cost me less than $400 a year. It's an easy thing to ask for and then if George starts balking at "but I love those dogs (that I never even take for a walk or to the groomers) too" then Shellie can say "fine, only 2 years of life insurance then".

It's not like she's asking for the house outright and 10 years of alimony.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Now, it could be different if children were involved, but I thought Zimmerman had no children. Is that incorrect?
    I pray that crazy son of b*tch doesn't reproduce...the world doesn't need any more gun-toting trigger-happy psychos than it already has.

vCash
    Because couples make all kinds of decisions when they get married and or have kids. Those decisions can enhance or limit the earning power of each person. For example, one partner may give up a successful career to move across the country so the other partner take a promotion. One partner may give up a successful career in order to stay home and raise the children. In this case, it can be a huge benefit to the other partner as they are not restricted in their work hours or ability to travel for work. They are not having to leave work early to get to daycare pick up or to pick up sick children. Those examples may not apply to the Zimmerman case, but they are very legitimate reasons for spousal support and or sharing of pension benefits.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I'm just wondering why would someone even think to ask to be a beneficiary on an ex's plan if there are no children involved? I don't understand the reasoning there. People move on with other relationships, so if George married someone else, of course the new wife would be the beneficiary--not the ex. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here.

Now, it could be different if children were involved, but I thought Zimmerman had no children. Is that incorrect?
    it could be for a variety of reasons, joint debts, to get back part of the $ she may have put into a house or a spouse's tuition, payback for the time a spouse may not have worked full time or contributed to her own 401k, or just because her lawyer thinks she can get it. it's quite common. we dont keep stats on it so i cant tell you how common it is.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    It's just a matter of time before that nut kills someone else. I don't blame his wife for being scared, it could easily be her or her family. He's crazy. And now that he has gotten away with murder once, he probably thinks he can get away with it again.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    did Shellie Zimmerman's testimony help his case? I assumed that the life insurance thing was a business agreement related to 1) her help in his getting away with murder 2) the detrimental effect her association with him in part due to #1 will have on the rest of her life and 3) the increased odds that he may not make it to a ripe old age.

But I'm cynical.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    He hates white blue-eyed women.....
    Yes . . . hilarious.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    George Zimmerman smashes iPad that had video of the confrontation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3900900.html

Hmmm....CNN reports. George told police his wife broke iPad hitting him with it. Wife told police George smashed it to destroy video of the altercation. After reviewing other home security video, it shows George Zimmerman lied. George Zimmerman smashed the iPad trying to destroy evidence....not his wife.

“That iPad is in half a dozen pieces at this point,” Hudson said. The remains of the device have been sent to a lab where technicians will attempt to extract the video Shellie Zimmerman recorded and any other potential evidence that might be stored on it.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    I wonder if she had synched up with iCloud....
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Maybe she wants the life insurance money because she does not expect George to live very long. Death threats, health issues, stress, etc. might be in the back of her mind. I can't imagine any company wanting to insure him, unless the policy specifically excludes pay out in the event of a crime (he is shot by someone else, either claiming self defence or just a drive by) or suicide.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    If Zimmerman keeps this kind of behaviour up, I might begin to doubt him.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    GZ has a pattern of angry, violent behavior. He also seems to be a habitual lier. Next time he may not get off the hook for a crime he is likely to commit, if he continues this way. If he gets his money from the state (and from the donations he has received), perhaps he should spend it on getting some help from a counseling psychologist.

vCash

George Zimmerman back in police custody after domestic altercation involving gun

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    GZ has a pattern of angry, violent behavior. He also seems to be a habitual lier. Next time he may not get off the hook for a crime he is likely to commit, if he continues this way. If he gets his money from the state (and from the donations he has received), perhaps he should spend it on getting some help from a counseling psychologist.
    Agreed, he definitely has anger management issues that need to be addressed.

vCash
    If not "pre-nup" then it is "Community property" except for Social Security and Workman's/Injury Comps. Prenup! people must get a pre-nup no matter how much in love they are at the moment...

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    If not "pre-nup" then it is "Community property" except for Social Security and Workman's/Injury Comps. Prenup! people must get a pre-nup no matter how much in love they are at the moment...
    Florida is not a community property state.

A pre-nup is a pre-nup everywhere, but only nine states are community property states--and that does make something of a difference in how marital assets are divided.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    If Zimmerman keeps this kind of behaviour up, I might begin to doubt him.
    Where's the hope?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast