Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    That's also assuming the ISU wouldn't make an exception for him like they did for Plushenko entering Europeans the first year of the minimum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    He doesn't need a minimum score for a GP host spot, nor as a "comeback" skater had he wanted to take that option.

He needs a minimum score from Skate America or a senior international to skate at the Olympics or ISU Championships. There are many senior internationals between SLC and the Olympics, including four between US Nationals and the Olympics. They're all in Europe, and if he were to make the Olympic team and still need the minimum score, he could acclimate while gaining the score and head straight to Sochi.
    Hmm... he may go for the team event instead? That should give Evan enough time to heal by then. So a showdown between Evan and Plushenko is still viable at this point. That should generate a lot of publicity and excitement.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I said it when Evan's "comeback" began 2 years ago, but the only surprise would be if there is any event he doesnt withdraw from due to "injury".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Hmm... he may go for the team event instead? That should give Evan enough time to heal by then. So a showdown between Evan and Plushenko is still viable at this point. That should generate a lot of publicity and excitement.
    A showdown for what, 7th or 8th place if it even happened. That is no publicity. It is like if Michelle Kwan and Midori Ito both came back to the Olympics right now and somehow made it and trying to hype up a showdown between them when it wasnt even for a medal. Everyone knows the real contenders are Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, and Takahashi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I said it when Evan's "comeback" began 2 years ago, but the only surprise would be if there is any event he doesnt withdraw from due to "injury".
    He seems to need the "comebacks" to stay active for his Sponsors. Ever since the Olympics Evan has been only about the $$$$$$.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    He seems to need the "comebacks" to stay active for his Sponsors. Ever since the Olympics Evan has been only about the $$$$$$.
    That's true, how dare he attempt to capitalize on his OGM and earn endorsements. After all, no other skater in history has ever done that.

It's so nice to share a board with so many people who absolutely know for sure what goes on in a skater's head and have empathic capabilities to know (from a distance) whether or not he/she is really injured...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Very true and I dont blame him for that. This is the last part of his window so best to rake in as much moolah as he can before he fades into complete obscurity post Sochi with the new stars success, and SOI close to going kapoot. The best thing he could do for his own marketing value is to give the illusion of being a competitive skater again while never actually competing.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    A showdown for what, 7th or 8th place if it even happened. That is no publicity. It is like if Michelle Kwan and Midori Ito both came back to the Olympics right now and somehow made it and trying to hype up a showdown between them when it wasnt even for a medal. Everyone knows the real contenders are Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, and Takahashi.
    2010 was supposed to be a showdown between Chan, Takahashi, some people thought Lambiel, who less than a point short of bronze (and whose footwork seqs were as slow as Curry doing school figures), and Joubert, if he could hold it together for the first time in an Olympics. Weir if he could regain form. Even Contesti, who was the 2009 Euros silver medalist and fifth at 2009 Worlds looked like he could challenge for a medal at the end of the 2009 season. Plushenko had just started a crash program to get back into shape, and even though Lysacek was the reigning World Champion, he wasn't on very many lists for gold, especially without a quad.

The Olympics are really a different kettle of fist with the demise of school figures.

Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    That's also assuming the ISU wouldn't make an exception for him like they did for Plushenko entering Europeans the first year of the minimum.
    They could, but I don't think they'd do it for the Olympics, though.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Oh please Plushenko and Lysacek were atleast two of the favorites for 2010. Plushenko was the bookies odds to win in fact, and Evan was reigning World Champion and I even started a thread 4 months before the Games guaranteeing Lysacek to win (despite not being a fan of his). I was that certain it was going to happen. People didnt expect Lambiel to beat Plushenko, he had just lost to him by like 20 points at Europeans. Takahashi was not favored over Lysacek, he had just bombed and lost to him by a similar margin at the Grand Prix final. Everyone knows Lambiel or Takahashi skating relatively cleanly would probably be the winners no matter what the others did, but nobody expected them to deliver that either (and they didnt). Chan had been injured all season and was barely considered a contender going into Vancouver, and his 6th place was about as expected.

This time around is not a similiar situation by the biggest stretch of the imagination. The only way they would be contending for gold in Sochi (even if the miracle either made it there in decent shape) is if atleast 4 or 5 guys fell atleast 4 or 5 times. A showdown implies it is the 2 guys who are expected to duel it out at the top, and that is not the case here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    That's true, how dare he attempt to capitalize on his OGM and earn endorsements. After all, no other skater in history has ever done that.

It's so nice to share a board with so many people who absolutely know for sure what goes on in a skater's head and have empathic capabilities to know (from a distance) whether or not he/she is really injured...
    Bravo!
    I wish that these insults to Evan would stop.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Bravo!
    I wish that these insults to Evan would stop.
    I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. Alrighty then!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Oh please Plushenko and Lysacek were atleast two of the favorites for 2010.
    And you don't expect Plushenko, after getting in shape slowly, will be a favorite if he does as well at Euros 2014 as he did at Euros 2010, but that Hanyu will, when he's done more weak FS's than strong?

We have no idea what Lysacek looks like now. If he doesn't show up to SA, US Nats will be the biggest indication of what shape he's in, because the US Olympic team members are not going to 4C's, and Lysacek could waltz through a senior B to get the scores.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. Alrighty then!
    I 5th, 6th and 7th it. Amen!

Title-less
    vCash
    Denis Ten's stunning silver last worlds was why one would "never say never"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    And you don't expect Plushenko, after getting in shape slowly, will be a favorite if he does as well at Euros 2014 as he did at Euros 2010, but that Hanyu will, when he's done more weak FS's than strong?

We have no idea what Lysacek looks like now. If he doesn't show up to SA, US Nats will be the biggest indication of what shape he's in, because the US Olympic team members are not going to 4C's, and Lysacek could waltz through a senior B to get the scores.
    Plushenko at this point will be lucky to still be able to walk if he keeps up with his "comeback" and I actually like Plushenko alot. No he isnt a favorite for anything at this point, and he needs to give it up for his own good (I mean more his health than a potential bad result which is small potatoes as he is already a legend). Atleast in his case I do think he is extremely serious about his comeback, and in his case that is what worries me given the state of his knees and having had multiple surgeries the last 5 years alone.

vCash
    I honestly had my doubts Lysacek would show up at SLC after hearing Frank Carroll say that Evan's injury was much more serious than people thought, that he was training in pain and that his quad sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Hopefully he won't be forced to withdraw from Skate America too due to injury.

vCash
    At this point,if he actually comes back, I'd just say it'd be best for Evan to get the minimums at one of the more obscure Senior B's (Crystal Skate perhaps?)

....bummed about the other withdrawals though

vCash
    Thrilled for Grant and Aronow/Brubaker! Grant had one of the highest summer scores of all senior men and it was driving me crazy that he had nothing yet. Now we just need to find Leng/Leduc an assignment and all will be right with the world!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Plushenko at this point will be lucky to still be able to walk if he keeps up with his "comeback" and I actually like Plushenko alot. No he isnt a favorite for anything at this point, and he needs to give it up for his own good (I mean more his health than a potential bad result which is small potatoes as he is already a legend). Atleast in his case I do think he is extremely serious about his comeback, and in his case that is what worries me given the state of his knees and having had multiple surgeries the last 5 years alone.
    If they keep going like this, one day we'll be right when we count these old guys out

vCash
    when is the event?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast