Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Sorry to hear about all of the withdrawals. I was looking forward to P/B and the Shibs.

Happy about Grant H. getting a spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    And how can one forget all the comebacks during the 1993/94 season. Of those that came back only G&G (gold) and Torvill/Dean (bronze) managed to medal at the Olympics, what a feat!!!! The others tried but fell short (at least they made it out of their respective Nationals and to the Olympics): Viktor Petrenko (4th), Kurt Browning (5th), Brian Boitano (6th), Katarina Witt (7th).
    Kurt Browning didn't retire and comeback, he was the reigning World Champion going into the 1994 Olympics.

vCash

Lysacek and Shibs withdrawal from SLC

Every time Evan starts the heavy duty training for a competition, he gets injured and can't compete. Maybe it's time for Evan to realize his body is trying to tell him enough and it's time to retire from competition before permanent damage occurs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Every time Evan starts the heavy duty training for a competition, he gets injured and can't compete. Maybe it's time for Evan to realize his body is trying to tell him enough and it's time to retire from competition before permanent damage occurs.
    Although I'm really pulling for Evan, ^^ This ^^.

It's difficult for an athlete to give up or to scale back, but constant or recurring injury is not a good course for any athlete. No athletic goals can be met under such circumstances and, as Judiz points out, permanent damage is a very real possibility.

I truly wish Evan all the best. It would be wonderful to see him come back (and Plushenko too) and compete at their best.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post

Although I'm really pulling for Evan, ^^ This ^^.

It's difficult for an athlete to give up or to scale back, but constant or recurring injury is not a good course for any athlete. No athletic goals can be met under such circumstances and, as Judiz points out, permanent damage is a very real possibility.

I truly wish Evan all the best. It would be wonderful to see him come back (and Plushenko too) and compete at their best.

O-
    It will be difficult for Lysacek to come back from this injury. Whenever a third degree abdominal tear is surgically repaired (sometimes needing reconstruction and repair), the area around the initial injury is subject to injury (Especially around the area that the carbon fiber mesh was inserted) Luckily Evan's current abdominal tear is classified as minor, which gives slight hope that he may be able to recover from it in time to compete this season. However, it is doubtful.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Misha Ge tweeted today that he has decided to withdraw from SLC - he received his travel documents too late to make his travel arrangements.

Drats, I was so psyched to see his programs.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    That's true, how dare he attempt to capitalize on his OGM and earn endorsements. After all, no other skater in history has ever done that.
    There's nothing wrong with capitalizing on OGM as long as you are not crying wolf to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    It's so nice to share a board with so many people who absolutely know for sure what goes on in a skater's head and have empathic capabilities to know (from a distance) whether or not he/she is really injured...
    Injuries become a problem when fans can routinely predict them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post

There's nothing wrong with capitalizing on OGM as long as you are not crying wolf to do so.

Injuries become a problem when fans can routinely predict them.
    Lysacek is not crying wolf. It is well documented that he has been injured. Lysacek is not the first athlete to battle injury problems, and he won't be the last. Instead of mocking an athlete because they try and return to competition after an injury, we should respect their courage to try and overcome the injury. The athlete may not succeed in coming back from the injury; however, they should be commented for trying. We may not understand why an athlete will try to continue competing, or agree with their decision to continue training for competition. However, ultimately it is their life, their decision, their sacrifice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Hmm... he may go for the team event instead? That should give Evan enough time to heal by then. So a showdown between Evan and Plushenko is still viable at this point. That should generate a lot of publicity and excitement.
    There's no such thing as going for the team event instead. Unless the country doesn't have an Olympic spot in one of the four disciplines, their entries for the team event must come from their entries for the solo event.

vCash
    Evan needs to cut back on his training. He has always seemed to overtrain imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Evan needs to cut back on his training. He has always seemed to overtrain imo.
    I agree. When Evan tweeted the week prior to Champs Camp that he was working overtime to learn his new free skate, I knew that was disaster waiting to happen. Overtraining is a quick way to aggravate an old injury or cause a new injury.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Hmm... he may go for the team event instead? That should give Evan enough time to heal by then. So a showdown between Evan and Plushenko is still viable at this point. That should generate a lot of publicity and excitement.
    That only works if no one qualifies for the event and is "appointed" or possibly, depending on the substitution rules for the Olympics, if one of the team participants is injured (or "injured"), then the alternate should be able to skate the individual event.

As posted by Sylvia, the US Olympic team members will not go to 4C's in Taipei. In 2010, the Men's alternate(s) went to 4C's in South Korea. #4 in Dance and #3 in Ladies and Pairs did not go, but the trip from where they were training to Vancouver was reasonable with, at most, three time zones to which to adjust. I know there was a big snow storm when Emily Hughes was called to take Kwan's spot in Torino, which means the alternates weren't onsite until called. (USOC would have been responsible for their accommodations; they wouldn't get spots in the Olympic Village unless they were called to compete.) If Lysacek makes the US team and the Men's alternate doesn't go to Taipei, it *may* mean that USFS -- or the athlete, since it seems they are given the option -- is not taking any chances.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I agree. When Evan tweeted the week prior to Champs Camp that he was working overtime to learn his new free skate, I knew that was disaster waiting to happen. Overtraining is a quick way to aggravate an old injury or cause a new injury.
    Lysacek won in Vancouver by doing everything the best he possibly could, covering every inch of the ice, and having the stamina to be consistently strong and powerful throughout his entire program. He doesn't have a quad or two and a 3A or two that he can do in his sleep a short time after being on the ice after having back surgery: he's never been consistent or technically strong with the big-scoring elements. When he was young, he skated with a cracked pelvic bone. Working hard through injury is what he knows; he's compensating for not having an ideal skater's build or being a natural.

Plushenko trained like a madman for 2010, because he decided on a comeback too late to do otherwise and be competitive. He's scaled back his training for Sochi to take age and the cumulative effects of injuries and surgeries into consideration. He can, because at least up to this point, even when he's not perfect, he's got enough ingrained technique that he's been able to land the stuff that gets him monster scores, even at 85-90%.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 09-11-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Oh for gosh sakes, Evan, just go away. Congrats on Vancouver. Next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    No skater has to "go away." Nothing wrong with him (or Plushenko, or Sasha in 2006) giving it a shot. Let the "better" young guns step it up and beat them fair and square. The simple fact is that the US men at this point are not all that competitive on an international stage. I can't blame him at all for trying.

I get that Evan isn't everyone's cup of tea, but geez, you'd think it was totally unfair for him to even take a shot at this the way some on this board are acting.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Salt Lake Tribune article on Lysacek's withdrawal: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...ional.html.csp

Statement by Grant Hochstein: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...igned-website/
    “I am very excited to be able to represent my country again internationally, and I would like to thank U.S. Figure Skating for giving me this opportunity,” Hochstein told Figure Skaters Online before he departed for Salt Lake City. ”I wish Evan Lysacek a speedy recovery and hope he can resume training again soon.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I agree that it's unnecessary and pointless to tell Lysacek to go away. He is free to come and go as he likes. The people who need to go away are the journalists who can't find anything better to cover than hyping the endless parade of "I've come out of retirement" announcements and the withdrawal news (not just Lysacek). It would be due diligence to cover it once, plainly, when the athlete makes the announcement, and then wait till the competition starts to cover it again. OGM so-and-so has come out of retirement and plans to compete in XXX on so-and-so date. That's it. What's irritating is for news organizations and reporters to devote the resource and space to cover some celebrity's every sneeze and cough and utterance, rather than getting off their butts and covering a few people who are working really hard making a difference for the sport and community. How many stories have we seen featuring the PSA nominees of developmental coaches, the medical staff, the not-so-renowned choreographers, the judges who volunteer their own time and intellect, and people who contribute to the skating community? How many full-length stories has Ice Network published on Lysacek or Sasha Cohen's return over the years? How many feature stories have they published on Tammy Gambill, Jim Peterson, the Wheaton Ice Skating Academy, Joe Inman, etc., etc.? Even for someone as famous as Phillip Mills, I had to listen to Manleywoman's podcast to learn that he danced for ABT in his youth. What is the use of official "real news media" if all they give us is rehashed press releases?

</rant>
    Last edited by Jun Y; 09-11-2013 at 05:14 PM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Well, the way I look at is that Evan is already away from you. He's not even close to where you are and not thinking about you because he probably doesn't know who you are. Therefore, you shouldn't worry about Evan going away.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Where is Evan due next? SA?

vCash
    So long as you have skaters like Todd Eldredge who was able to regain his national title at the age of 30, go on to compete at '02 Olympics & place a competitive 6th or an Elvis Stojko at 29 who placed 8th at those same games, you will have former champions attempting comebacks later in their careers. More power to them, I say.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Lysacek is not crying wolf. It is well documented that he has been injured. Lysacek is not the first athlete to battle injury problems, and he won't be the last. Instead of mocking an athlete because they try and return to competition after an injury, we should respect their courage to try and overcome the injury. The athlete may not succeed in coming back from the injury; however, they should be commented for trying. We may not understand why an athlete will try to continue competing, or agree with their decision to continue training for competition. However, ultimately it is their life, their decision, their sacrifice.
    I'm not saying he's crying wolf on his injuries. He's crying wolf about coming back to compete. How about first get into competitive shape, and then announce you're ready. Rather than just assume you'll be ready by a certain competition? That's asking for trouble.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast