vCash

Lindsey Vonn will not be going to Sochi

She has (very graciously) withdrawn due to the instability of her knee:

http://www.today.com/sochi/lindsey-v...ble-2D11869416
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Sad news. I was hoping she'd get there.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I'm bummed for her and for me as a spectator. She was so dominant up until the accident at last year's worlds. But, yes, good she has faced up to this decision to give plenty of time for whichever next-in-line skier to get the nod for Sochi (although I'm sure it's been been discussed within the US team all along that this was a likely occurrence).
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    That must be so heartbreaking for her.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I was afraid that would happen after watching several of her trials.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Really unfortunate especially considering how unbeatable she had been in the speed disciplines leading up to the 2013 World Championships.

Looks like the United States now has 18 year old Mikaela Shiffrin (who specializes in the technical events) as their top medal hope in alpine skiing.

vCash
    So sad to hear this although I had some concerns after reading about her latest injury. I hope she sticks around till 2018.

vCash
    My dad just told me when I got home tonight. I was really hoping she'd be able to pull through and compete in Sochi. How disappointing for her.

vCash
    I'm disappointed, but after reading how she was attempting to compete without a ligament , I was hoping she would stop, for her own physical well-being... Those speed disciplines are so fast, it's not even that much fun for me to watch anymore. So many of these great athletes end up so badly injured.

At least she does have olympic medals, including a gold medal.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I knew she wouldn't make it. I kind of figured she would go and try to practice and pull out before the events began. You simply can not compete at this level without an ACL. When I heard that she didn't have it I knew it wouldn't be possible. I've seen too many gymnasts try and even when they think it is fully repaired, it rarely lasts long.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    She posted on Facebook that today she adopted a rescue dog who has an injured knee from being hit by a car. I guess they can relate.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Such a shame that she might have actually managed to recover from the accident at Worlds were it not for the second fall. Though perhaps the instability was the reason it happened.

Seerek, there's Ted Ligety as well who'll be the clear favorite in Giant Slalom (and is also World Champ in Super G). Bode Miller did take second in GS in the Colorado World Cup event so he or maybe Julia Mancuso could come through, but the US hopes definitely will be with Ted and Michaela.

ETA - it's also been very unfortunate for France in the ladies department, they've lost *two* World champs to injury in Marion Rolland (downhill) and now Tessa Worley (GS).

vCash
    Ted Ligety won combined (downhill and slalom which show he is great skiier in both those events as well) at Worlds. He won 3 golds there. He also is capable of a medal in slalom. I could see him having another huge event. Cant see him repeating his Super G win since I think Svindal will be super determined to win that after missing out at Worlds due to a mistake. However he could win 2 golds and 4 medals if all goes perfectly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Seerek, there's Ted Ligety as well who'll be the clear favorite in Giant Slalom (and is also World Champ in Super G). Bode Miller did take second in GS in the Colorado World Cup event so he or maybe Julia Mancuso could come through, but the US hopes definitely will be with Ted and Michaela.
    Judging from the World Cup series so far, Mancuso is a longshot. But then, it's skiing, so who knows.

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    I'm sad for Lindsay.....but, I believe that's really what was best for me.