Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    So, the chance that an Asian locale will host 2022 Games becomes pretty darn slim. Wiki states that Almaty, Kazakhstan is the only city to confirm its intention to bid for the Games. Wiki states that the US is bypassing the bid process. So, a European city getting the Games becomes quite likely. Madrid* or Vienna?

* ETA: Oops, meant Munich.
    Barcelona is also considering opening a bid for the 2022 Games.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    So, the chance that an Asian locale will host 2022 Games becomes pretty darn slim.
    It was already with the 2018 Olympics being held in Pyeongchang. In fact, it was 0% even before Tokyo was selected.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    Lets hope so, after the luxury of London 2012 the time zone for the next 2 Olympics is a bit shit for us here innit
    On the one hand yes, but OTOH even if you are busy during the day, you can watch part of the Rio Olympics live if you are willing to be a bit sleep depraved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I hope they will. I may even try to go there if they get it. Why is the USA not even trying for 2022? May be they want to put their efforts into 2024?
    I think they are still smarting from the rejection of Chicago. Not a lot of love lost between USOC and IOC for that and other reasons right now (TV $$$).
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Wrestling is back in the olympics http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-2020/2781887/

vCash
    While I wish wrestling was never dropped in the first place, I think ultimately it is a great thing for the sport, it forced itself to get with the times and ultimately will be better off in the long run. I do though, wish that baseball/softball had a chance to return, but alas I'd much rather have wrestling back in the games than baseball/softball so the IOC made a good decision here.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Good decision. But then I read this:
    The exercise was understandably frustrating, and futile for baseball/softball and squash. Politics, as well as wrestling's initial inertia, are to blame.

The obscure sport of modern pentathlon was expected to be cut in February, but a strong lobbying effort by board member Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., an executive with the modern pentathlon federation and son of a former IOC president, helped save the sport from elimination.
    That's the IOC in a nutshell. While I agree that wrestling needed to be brought back, it shouldn't have been dropped to begin with, and it created an unfair competition for softball/baseball and squash - sports in which successful players and teams are often from countries that are not sports powerhouses.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    So wrestling is back and everybody can go back to not paying attention to it any more.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Tokyo

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Lets hope so, after the luxury of London 2012 the time zone for the next 2 Olympics is a bit shit for us here innit
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    On the one hand yes, but OTOH even if you are busy during the day, you can watch part of the Rio Olympics live if you are willing to be a bit sleep depraved.
    I'll, for once (!!), be in the perfect time zone for Rio

Yay for Tokyo!
    I'll be joining the brigade for this one.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    WOOT WOOT WOOT

vCash

Congrats Tokyo ! I'm sure it will be a wonderful games!
    Agreed re Tokyo, congrats! Also glad wrestling was saved even if I don't enjoy watching it myself.

But will point out North America has it worse timewise for 3/4 of the next Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post

But will point out North America has it worse timewise for 3/4 of the next Olympics.
    Actually, I think both PyeongChang 2018 and Tokyo 2020 will be favorable for North Americans. I fully expect NBC to manipulate the schedule to have as many key events as possible live in U.S. primetime, just like they did in 2008. We should get most of the skiing and snowboarding events live in 2018, as those events can easily be scheduled for 10am-2pm in Korea (which is 8pm-midnight in the Eastern time zone), and I wouldn't be surprised if NBC is able to have most of the figure skating events staged between 10am and 2pm as well. In 2020, I'm sure the swimming and gymnastics finals will be held in the late morning/early afternoon in Tokyo to accommodate the U.S. audience. NBC paid enough for the 2018 and 2020 Games that I would be very surprised if the IOC doesn't meet their scheduling demands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    So wrestling is back and everybody can go back to not paying attention to it any more.
    I've always watched the wrestling, and I know I am one of the few, the proud on that one. My grandfather was an Olympic wrestler back about a zillion years ago. Seriously - a zillion years ago. But I'm psyched.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    TOKIOOOOO
    WRESTRLNG you did

vCash
    Hot men rubbing against each other!

vCash
    It's actually really popular in many parts of the world. In places like Iran and Turkey, the general public basically cares only about football/soccer and wrestling. Same with a lot of the former Soviet republics and the eastern parts of Russia. A third of India's medals (3 of 9) in the last two Olympics have come from wrestling, and the medal-winning wrestlers are more famous there than Tiger Woods is in the US. In terms of worldwide participants, only a few sports are ahead of wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Hot men rubbing against each other!
    Like these hot brothers.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Whew .. who turned up the temp in here? *fans herself frantically*

vCash
    I never would have guessed they were brothers

vCash
    Thomas Bach (GER) is the new IOC president.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast