Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 141
  1. #101
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    For Japanese men, I only wished for two to make it to the Olympics: Oda and then Kozuka.

    Merry Christmas, everybody.

    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    bowing down to Robert Lepage
    Posts
    3,415
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5645
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    For Japanese men, I only wished for two to make it to the Olympics: Oda and then Kozuka.

    Merry Christmas, everybody.

    (((PeterG))) (((Oda))) (((all his fans)))

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    For Japanese men, I only wished for two to make it to the Olympics: Oda and then Kozuka.

    Merry Christmas, everybody.

    Right with you, PeterG. I'm absolutely crushed by Oda not making the team. In fact, I can't remember when I've been this upset by a FS decision/result.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,702
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    As much as I like Yuzuru, and Machida, I was hoping that the Olympic/World team would be Dai, Taka, & Nobu! I'm crushed! Wish there were more spots for the incredible Japanese men.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,191
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    As much as I like Yuzuru, and Machida, I was hoping that the Olympic/World team would be Dai, Taka, & Nobu! I'm crushed! Wish there were more spots for the incredible Japanese men.
    I would have loved to see those 3 on another major team together, but after the Grand Prix final everyone had to know there was no chance whatsoever of Hanyu not making the team. Even had he come 12th at Nationals he would have bene placed on the team. I also feel happy for Machida to finally make an Olympic/World team after trying so long. Still his skating does not touch me the way Kozuka's can we skates well, or wow me like Oda's can when he skates well.

    I wish Oda would have been sent to Worlds atleast in place of Dai, even if he didnt get picked for the Olympics. He would have had a real shot at that elusive World medal this year. With Worlds in Japan and some skaters not going/not at their best from emotional and physical fatigue from the Games (typical post Olympics) and the way he is skating this year, I think he could have even won gold there.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    I will miss watching Oda's 'smooth as butter' landings on jumps

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,191
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think he had the best combination of jumping ability and basic skating of anyone today, atleast until Hanyu came along. He is a much better jumper than Chan, especialy factoring in Chans massive consistency issues; and he is a much better basic skater than the other strong jumpers like Fernandez, Reynolds (who doesnt even have quality jumps, just hard ones), Aaron, etc...Kozuka also has excellent basics and very strong jumps when he does them, but is extremely inconsistent.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Oh, Nobunari, I will miss seeing you're skating : Thank you for some great moments this year.

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In weirdo land...
    Posts
    392
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just noticed vrnoog2 graciously shared this video:

    Nobunari Oda "Once Upon a Time in the West" EX - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9U7-QyHQo
    This is a program Nobunari choreographed for himself and performed only once, at Prince Ice World show. Beautiful, peaceful program, feels almost like a lullaby. Lovely edgework thorough. Very Nobunari-esque, and I hope we'll get to see some more of his choreo in his future show programs and skated by his students

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by inskate View Post
    I just noticed vrnoog2 graciously shared this video:

    Nobunari Oda "Once Upon a Time in the West" EX - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9U7-QyHQo
    This is a program Nobunari choreographed for himself and performed only once, at Prince Ice World show. Beautiful, peaceful program, feels almost like a lullaby. Lovely edgework thorough. Very Nobunari-esque, and I hope we'll get to see some more of his choreo in his future show programs and skated by his students

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    692
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You can tell his teammates all love him. Especialy Kozuka, Daisuke, Miki, Akiko, and Mao, who have been with him for years. I wonder if he will keep in touch with them after his retirement.

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,030
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I posted a translation of a long interview with Nobu on the Nobu's retirement thread in GSD. If you like, please read it.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4089968

  13. #113

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,577
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3600
    That was a lovely interview. Oda is a class act and I am happy that he will continue to be involved in the skating world.
    Thank you for the translation rosewood.

  14. #114
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    I know this is discussed in other threads, but they are quite long and sometimes confusing with people offering personal opinions instead of facts. But since this is an Oda cheer thread, I don't think I'm off-topic. I mean this question in a strictly factual way, it's not an emotional query. So...why is Oda not going to the Olympics? It's my understanding that whoever won the GPF was immediately on the Olympic team. (Congrats, Hanyu!) The second spot was for who won the Japanese nationals. As that was again Hanyu, we have two open spots. Machida had two great grand prix events, goofed at the GPF (not athletically, but strategically, which is not a big problem compared to not being able to do what is necessarily physically) and came in second at nationals. So I understand why he was chosen. So the third spot is what I am wondering about...

    Kozuka had a bad GP season, didn't make the GPF but did win a bronze at Nationals. Not enough to make the Olympics.

    Takahashi had a good GP season, made the final but was unable to compete there due to injury. An injured skater is not someone you want to go to the Olympics, right? And at nationals, where he could show the injury was behind him...he placed fifth. I'm not sure he'll be ready for the Olympics, but I sure hope so.

    That leaves Oda. As good a season as Takahashi, a virtual tie. With the withdrawal, Oda goes to the GPF and wins a bronze, showing he's one of the top skaters out there now. He underperforms at nationals, but he's healthy and has shown he's got what it takes to perform at Sochi.

    So...if I was the Japanese skating federation, I would have picked Oda and made Takahashi the alternate - if his injury is 100% behind him. If not, then Kozuka is the alternate. Leaving Dai off the team and alternate spot. So what's in the JSF rules that put not only Takahashi ahead of Oda, but put Kozuka in the alternate spot instead of Oda? After the GPF, it was not 100% based on Nationals, otherwise Kozuka would be going to Sochi. So what am I missing?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I know this is discussed in other threads, but they are quite long and sometimes confusing with people offering personal opinions instead of facts. But since this is an Oda cheer thread, I don't think I'm off-topic. I mean this question in a strictly factual way, it's not an emotional query. So...why is Oda not going to the Olympics? It's my understanding that whoever won the GPF was immediately on the Olympic team. (Congrats, Hanyu!) The second spot was for who won the Japanese nationals. As that was again Hanyu, we have two open spots. Machida had two great grand prix events, goofed at the GPF (not athletically, but strategically, which is not a big problem compared to not being able to do what is necessarily physically) and came in second at nationals. So I understand why he was chosen. So the third spot is what I am wondering about...

    Kozuka had a bad GP season, didn't make the GPF but did win a bronze at Nationals. Not enough to make the Olympics.

    Takahashi had a good GP season, made the final but was unable to compete there due to injury. An injured skater is not someone you want to go to the Olympics, right? And at nationals, where he could show the injury was behind him...he placed fifth. I'm not sure he'll be ready for the Olympics, but I sure hope so.

    That leaves Oda. As good a season as Takahashi, a virtual tie. With the withdrawal, Oda goes to the GPF and wins a bronze, showing he's one of the top skaters out there now. He underperforms at nationals, but he's healthy and has shown he's got what it takes to perform at Sochi.

    So...if I was the Japanese skating federation, I would have picked Oda and made Takahashi the alternate - if his injury is 100% behind him. If not, then Kozuka is the alternate. Leaving Dai off the team and alternate spot. So what's in the JSF rules that put not only Takahashi ahead of Oda, but put Kozuka in the alternate spot instead of Oda? After the GPF, it was not 100% based on Nationals, otherwise Kozuka would be going to Sochi. So what am I missing?
    Basically, the criteria system basically downplays Oda's accomplishments this year by design. Not sure if intentional, but it is what it is.

    Here's the criteria again.
    1.) Japanese champion
    2.) 2nd or 3rd at Nationals/highest ranking GPF medalist
    3.) 2nd or 3rd at Nationals/Top 3 World Ranking/Top 3 Season's Best.

    As you pointed out Hanyu fulfills criteria one and 2(b) (by winning GPF). Machida gets No. 2 spot by ranking 2nd at Nationals.

    However it's criteria 3 that basically screws Oda and gives Takahashi the edge.

    Kozuka gets third but doesn't meet any of the other criteria in No. 3.

    Takahashi however is No. 2 among the Japanese Men in WR and SB.

    The top 3 WR as of Japanese Nationals was
    1.) Yuzuru (No. 1)
    2.) Takahashi (No. 3)
    3.) Machida (No. 6)
    ---
    Oda is 10th.


    Here's the interesting thing...if they counted SEASON's World Ranking, here is what you got:
    1.) Hanyu 1410
    2.) Oda 1258
    3.) Machida 1233
    15.) Takahashi 692
    25.) Kozuka 560.

    Basically Oda wasn't going to be anywhere near the overall World Ranking because he essentially missed two post-GP seasons. He was injured in the second half of 2011-2012 and then he ranked 4th in 2012-2013 and did not send him to 4CC. He has ZERO points for those two ISU championship categories. Machida and Takahashi have, 312 and 1,465 points respectively.

    Top Season's Best in 2013-2014 season
    2.) Hanyu (293.25, GPF)
    3.) Takahashi (268.31 NHK Trophy)
    4.) Machida (265.38 Skate America)
    --
    Oda is 5th (4th among the Japanese men) with 262.98 from Nebelhorn.

    So basically despite three 170+ performances in the FS and despite medaling at every event at the GPF (which neither Takahashi or Kozuka did), none of that mattered because Oda basically ranked poorly in certain number crunching scenarios.

    However one could argue that Oda should had been in consideration under criteria No. 2b. Since Hanyu already got the spot under criteria one, in theory as the bronze medalist at GPF, Oda should had been considered there. However that is not how JSF interpreted the criteria.

    Now people are arguing that "Takahashi WD that's why Oda got to go." Here's what I say to that: Takahashi was able to go because he won NHK Trophy. Takahashi and Oda actually had the same amount of GP points (24) but Takahashi won the tie breaker due to winning NHK Trophy. Under a different judging panel, Oda could had won NHK Trophy and get the GPF spot instead. Had he been at Cup of China, he probably would had won there and get the GPF spot on his own.

    That win gave Takahashi not only a GPF spot, but also an edge in SB, which ultimately pushed Oda out. In essence, doing well at that one key event proved more valuable for Takahashi than Oda doing well over three international events.

    To be clear I'm not blaming this on Takahashi. That's just how everything worked out.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 12-28-2013 at 11:05 PM.

  16. #116
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Thanks so much for that. I'm still sad. I wish Oda hadn't retired right away. I would loved to have seen him win a gold medal at 4CC. And do the Olympics allow a second alternate in case of potential problems with the three assigned to the Olympics (and/or maybe the first alternate)? Takahashi is retiring after the Olympics, right? What if Hanyu were to win Olympic gold and retire? Oda could have gone to Worlds then, right?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,191
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Basically, the criteria system basically downplays Oda's accomplishments this year by design. Not sure if intentional, but it is what it is.

    Here's the criteria again.
    1.) Japanese champion
    2.) 2nd or 3rd at Nationals/highest ranking GPF medalist
    3.) 2nd or 3rd at Nationals/Top 3 World Ranking/Top 3 Season's Best.

    As you pointed out Hanyu fulfills criteria one and 2(b) (by winning GPF). Machida gets No. 2 spot by ranking 2nd at Nationals.

    However it's criteria 3 that basically screws Oda and gives Takahashi the edge.

    Kozuka gets third but doesn't meet any of the other criteria in No. 3.

    Takahashi however is No. 2 among the Japanese Men in WR and SB.

    The top 3 WR as of Japanese Nationals was
    1.) Yuzuru (No. 1)
    2.) Takahashi (No. 3)
    3.) Machida (No. 6)
    ---
    Oda is 10th.


    Here's the interesting thing...if they counted SEASON's World Ranking, here is what you got:
    1.) Hanyu 1410
    2.) Oda 1258
    3.) Machida 1233
    15.) Takahashi 692
    25.) Kozuka 560.

    Basically Oda wasn't going to be anywhere near the overall World Ranking because he essentially missed two post-GP seasons. He was injured in the second half of 2011-2012 and then he ranked 4th in 2012-2013 and did not send him to 4CC. He has ZERO points for those two ISU championship categories. Machida and Takahashi have, 312 and 1,465 points respectively.

    Top Season's Best in 2013-2014 season
    2.) Hanyu (293.25, GPF)
    3.) Takahashi (268.31 NHK Trophy)
    4.) Machida (265.38 Skate America)
    --
    Oda is 5th (4th among the Japanese men) with 262.98 from Nebelhorn.

    So basically despite three 170+ performances in the FS and despite medaling at every event at the GPF (which neither Takahashi or Kozuka did), none of that mattered because Oda basically ranked poorly in certain number crunching scenarios.

    However one could argue that Oda should had been in consideration under criteria No. 2b. Since Hanyu already got the spot under criteria one, in theory as the bronze medalist at GPF, Oda should had been considered there. However that is not how JSF interpreted the criteria.

    Now people are arguing that "Takahashi WD that's why Oda got to go." Here's what I say to that: Takahashi was able to go because he won NHK Trophy. Takahashi and Oda actually had the same amount of GP points (24) but Takahashi won the tie breaker due to winning NHK Trophy. Under a different judging panel, Oda could had won NHK Trophy and get the GPF spot instead. Had he been at Cup of China, he probably would had won there and get the GPF spot on his own.

    That win gave Takahashi not only a GPF spot, but also an edge in SB, which ultimately pushed Oda out. In essence, doing well at that one key event proved more valuable for Takahashi than Oda doing well over three international events.

    To be clear I'm not blaming this on Takahashi. That's just how everything worked out.


    I dont think they could have made the critiera to favor or go against a certain skater beforehand. It would be way too complicated and impossible to guess how everyone would skate in each given event, and how the breakdown would come out. What I do wonder is knowing the critiera and how Takahashi was likely to skate at Nationals, if Oda was really marked fairly at Nationals, knowing that it would be hard to leave him off the team with a top 3 finish (and Takahashi doing poorly at Nationals).

  18. #118

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,030
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It seems Nobu started working as an assistant coach under his mother.
    母の元でアシスタント始めました。写真は甥っ子。嫌がる所無理矢理撮ってもらいました。笑 頑張ります。
    https://twitter.com/nobutaro1001/sta...923392/photo/1
    my rough translation
    i started working as an assistant coach under my mother. Together with my nephew in the photo. He was unwilling to be in the photo but I asked/forced him. I'll do my best!

    Best wishes for his future!!


    ...and this present from his fan is so impressive
    プレゼント等ありがとうございました。その中から印象的なものを一つ…宇宙人でしょうか?いえ 信成です。
    https://twitter.com/nobutaro1001/sta...35124751048704
    my rough translation
    Thank you very much for the presents etc. The impressive one among them...Alien? No, it's Nobunari.


    this photo must be taken when he walked out from the rink after the announcement of his retirement afte the finale of the gala show, and the message was posted on twitter the day after the retirement
    昨日で現役生活に終わりを告げました。最後に沢山の方に祝福して頂き、本当に幸せな現役生活でした。応援し て下さった方々、スケートファンの方々、本当にありがとうございました。これからは、誰かの支えになれるよ うな人間目指して頑張ります。
    https://twitter.com/nobutaro1001/sta...46024536530945
    my rough translation
    I retired from the competitions yesterday. In the end of my life as a competitive skater lots of people cerebrated my retirement. My life as a competitive skater was a really happy one. I truly appreciate for the people who supported me and figure skating fans. From now on I'll do my best aiming at being a person who can support other people.

    Nobu must be a coach with impressive tears in the kiss and cry.
    Thank you very much for your wonderful skating.

    ETA:
    Can you see "you can move on" on his nephew's back in the first photo? I assume he wanted to show the words.
    Last edited by rosewood; 12-31-2013 at 04:34 AM.

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Jason Brown talks about competing with Nobunari at Nebelhorn Trophy in his latest blog for Ice Network: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...-senior-begins

    It was truly an event I will never forget, which included competing alongside one of my favorite skaters, Nobunari Oda. Now hearing about his retirement from competitive skating makes me appreciate even more the opportunity to be at an event with him. Nobunari could not have been more friendly, gracious, supportive and joyful. His warm, humble attitude, after everything he's accomplished, makes me respect him as a person and athlete even more. When the men's event was over, he even helped me cheer on the U.S. dance team (Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue) dressing up in the red, white and blue paraphernalia I brought and shouting with us!

  20. #120

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,030
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Re-posting from the 4CC thread in K'nC.

    Nobu tweeted this during 4CC, for Mura, maybe? (Nobu announced his retirement earlier than planned since he wanted to give the spot for 4CC to a younger skater(=Mura).
    https://twitter.com/nobutaro1001/sta...16456944820224
    (my rough translation)
    Nobu:
    Congrats for proving your real ability! (*^_^*)
    As for Nobu's new challenge, he works as a TV commentator during Sochi Olympics.

    article http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/201...300016-n1.html
    photo http://www.sanspo.com/geino/photos/2...300016-p1.html
    (my rough translation)
    Nobu:
    I'll do my best to make interesting and enjoyable comments, and hope I can talk as well as nailing quads.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •