Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Yay! Nobu got a sponsor!! He appeared in an ad of Windows 8.1. Click on the video on the top of the site.
    http://microsoft.jp.msn.com/windows8...9-a0d1ad586b6b
    Happy Nobu is geting some well-deserved respect!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Good luck Oda. Hope you can get into GP Final.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Hoping Oda is in the final!

vCash
    I just found this video. Nobu and his baby are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!!! See the beginning of the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOkGvEbOTEo

I'm thinking about translating this whole video but it might take time. hmm....

vCash
    I just found this video. Nobu and his baby are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!!! See the beginning of the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOkGvEbOTEo
    Aww. The Japanese skaters are so friendly with one another!

So sorry Nobu just missed the GPF. I only hope it doesn't put him down in the minds of the JSF going into Nationals.

On the other hand, Dai, Hanyu and Machida will have a lot to prove at the GPF. If one (or more) of them don't skate well there, it might hurt their chances at Nats. Who knows? This Japanese Nationals will be the most intense of any men's field I have ever seen! Holding all best thoughts for Nobu to make the Olympic team!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    With Dai's withdrawal, Nobu has made it to the Grand Prix Final! GOOO NOBU!!

vCash

vCash
    Good luck to Oda. Hope he does well.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Interview with Nobu after finishing his long program at GP final.

my rough translation

Nobu:
    I was nervous at the beginning of the program but came to my senses after falling on the same junp as yesterday. At next competition I want to be on before I fall. I was not as nervous as I was yesterday but still a bit nervous. However, thanks to my coache's(she is also his mom) words "Enjoy yourself", I could focus on enjoying my skating even though I made mistakes. And it helped me a lot.

---How did you spend your time last night?
    I was so frustrated with my mistake and it took time to fall aslleep. My family came to root for me and I went for dinner with them. I tried to forget yesterday's mistake and fire myself up again.

---Both of your kids came?
    My second sun can't come in the arena yet so he saw me in the hotel(on TV?) My first son came and rooted for me at the rink.

---Do you have pain on your foot?
    My boot was broken one day before I got the substitute spot and I had to change my boots. I felt fear rather than worried. I've never participated in a big competitions with a new boot. The new one was hard so I could not use my knee satisfactorily. I had troubles with my foot a bit.

---Do you think that your chance to make an Olympic team is getting bigger?
    I can't tell before the Nationals. All of the skaters will try their best to get the spot. I'll try my best not to lose to them.

---What do you have to work on?
    As for today's skating, I was not able to use my edges well enough and I came to feel my feet heavy. So I want to work on it more from now.

---You got a good result in spite of your sudden participation and also boot trouble.
    Still I don't feel my boot fits and wish I have enough time to get used to it by Nationals. However, I could recover my confidence at this competition.

---What part of your boot was broken?
    The bendable part of my left boot. It went flabby in the practice. I changed my boot and also edge as soon as possible because I was the first substitute skater. I hardly fall asleep before I came here because I feared so much.

---What do you do first back your home?
    I love Hichu so much. Since I can't taste them during the competitions, I want to taste them a lot.

---Your thoughts on coming Nationals?
    Even though I don't have long time, I want to do as much as I can. Aiming at making a Sochi team, I want to try my best with strong heart.

Congratulations for the bronze medal at Grand Prix final Go for it to make a Sochi team!!

ETA:
    this is Hichu http://www.morinaga.co.jp/hi-chew/index.html

vCash
    I'm so happy for you, Nobu!!!!

vCash
    What a wonderful performance, especially given the short prep time & the new boot.

Have confidence Nobu!

And skater your very best at Japanese Nationals.

vCash
    Thank you for the interview, rosewood!

sooooo happy about his skate and result!!! Gosh, his knees are divine. I have absolute faith he can keep it going through nationals and Olympics. You got this, Nobu. <3

vCash
    Nobu!

vCash
    I'm a bit addicted to following Nobu's adorable episodes.

via TV Asahi's twitter.
    @asahi_sports: 織田選手「きのうハイチューを食べたいと皆さんにお伝えしたんですが、ラーメンを食べたい。
    ぼくラーメンも大好きで、福岡だし、ラーメン食べたい」(後)#figureskate
    my rough translation
    Nobu:
    I said I wanted to taste Hi-chu yesterday. But now I want to try Ramen. Since Fukuoka is famous for Ramen. I love Ramen, too.

Ramen in Fukuoka
    http://yokanavi.com/eg/bestdishes/

織田選手「フリーが終わった夜、子供にメダルを見せたら「わーすごいきれい」と言ってくれて。自分としては メダルとか関係なく、いい演技ができればいいなといういつもそういう感じだが、家族にメダルを見せると、メ ダル取ってよかったなと思った」(後)#figureskate
    my rough translation
    At the night of the long program I showed the medal to my kids. They said "Wow, how beautiful!." I used to focus on giving my best performances regardless of the medals. But I felt happy to get a medal when I showed it to my family.

Love, love, love Odaddy!!

vCash

My life as a skater has been a succession of good lucks.

Sports Navi article published on December 17th
    my rough translation

My life as a skater has been a succession of good lucks.
    An interview with Nobunari Oda Part 2

Nobunari Oda(Kansai University) is thankful for his life as a skater. Such as his mother has been one of his coaches, he has been blessed with the environment which allows him to continue participating in the competitions, and he has been able to be one of the leading skaters. Of course he had some unhappy accidents, but "my life as a skater has been the succession of good lucks," said Oda with gentleness on his face. The reason why he chose 'smile' as his theme of this season was from his wish that he wants to show the appreciation for the people who have supported him by finishing his final season skating with smiles. Japanese men's battle for the spots for Sochi Olympics(in February next year) is the hardest one. As he ended up unsatisfactorily in the last Olympics held in 2010, he might be the one who wants to get the spot the most strongly. "I want to appeal to people not only in Japan but also all over the world that the skater(who made a big mistake) can show a very good performance this time," he declared vigorously in the end of this interview.

Thanks to the young skaters I recovered my hungry spirits.

---What did you feel when you came back after recovering from your injury?
    First of all I felt the happiness with skating in a competition again. And at the same time, I felt uneasy about competing to win the spots for Worlds and Olympics again. But I thought it must be a 'complaining about something most people would love'. I also felt thankful with recovering from the injury.

---What do you think about the difference after recovering from your injury?
    I got to make more detailed schedules of my practice, thinking about how to control everything. Such as, what kind of practice you do when you have pains on a certain part of your body, or how you take care of the part when you have a pain, etc. Those are the good side of the things I've got from the injury.

---Did you feel upset when you ended up 4th in last Nationals?
    I was very regretful rather than upset. I felt that appreciating is not enough to win. To win I have to work. If you want to place 1st, you have to win the place at the expense of other skaters. I realized I lacked those hungry spirits. On that day I dropped my head down in my room at the official hotel. However, I was scheduled to the National Athletic Meet within three weeks so I recovered my motivation aiming at winning the competition.

---The rise of young skaters is remarkable recently
    Well, however, thanks to the young skaters I recovered the hungry spirits, like I want to be the winner, I want to win at any cost. I think I was lucky because that loss was not in the final trial for the Olympics.

David has never chosen any wrong music.

---Do you enjoy skating your programs in this season?
    As for the long program I was told to skate with cheerful facial expressions during the step sequence. As for the short program also I was told to skate cheerfully, so I pay attention to show the natural cheerful expressions and smiles even in the practices.

---What made you choose 'smile' as the theme?
    I didn't want to finish my final season pensively. I asked the choreographers to choose the enjoyable musics. I decided this theme because I thought I could do my best with it.

---As for the short program it was choreographed by David Wilson. Did you request him because this is your final season?
    David has supported me since I was a junior skater. So I requested him with appreciation. Lori Nichol choreographed my programs in the season when I recovered from the injury. I've been always satisfied with her choreography so I wished to finish my final season with her program.

---Your short program 'Cotton Club' was choreographed by David Wilson.You won the junior world title in 2005 with his program. So was it a lucky jinx or something to request him again?
    Well, he has never chosen any wrong music. I have an absolute trust in him with his choreography, the whole program. I'm kinda temperamental person, such as I don't go to the rink when I'm reluctant. I feel like keeping up with David, including the temper.

photos:
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...60005-spnavi_1
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...60005-spnavi_2
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...60005-spnavi_3

...I'll translate the second half later.

vCash
    This is the most motivated I've ever heard Nobu speak. Thanks, rosewood!

vCash
    the second half

As for the long program I pay attention not to give up till the end.

---Your long program is 'William Tell Overture. Can you tell me why you chose this music?
    Lori said that it would be easier for me to skate to a music which has a certain character. As for the character William Tell, and the struggle and the conflict between him and his father, "You understand them since you have your family," she said. So those are the reasons.

---William Tell is the hero of Switzerland. What kind of images do you have about him? You are good at playing characters.
    He is a brave man for me. William Tell was a man who fought with courage trying to change his country against the tyranny of Austria. He behaved bravely even in the situation that his son might die. Since he was such a brave man I also try not give up till the end of the program.

---Why do you like to act a character?
    Lori said about me, "When you're skating to a classical music, you do nothing more than skating," and that I interpret nothing. It's easier for me to act a character for sure. When I skate to a classical music, I have to interpret the music itself. However, when I skate to a music which has a character, I can charm with facial expressions or etc even though I am a bit disconnected to the music. Classical musics are kinda difficult in that sense.

---You often show comical performances. Do you have a strong will to amuse people?
    Yes, I have. I do love to amuse people and make them laugh, not only the audience but also people around me in my daily life.

---Your exhibition number is 'Last Samurai.'
    First of all the reason why I chose the number is that this is my final season. A skater who is fated to Samurai, to greater or lesser extent, plays the 'Last Samurai'.(editor's note: One of Oda's ancestors is Nobunaga Oda, the samurai who lived in the Age of Civil Wars.) I wished it make people interested in this sport and want to see figure skating a bit, even though those people know nothing about our sport. If it happens, I feel thankful for it. And also when I skated to a cool music, I got a good response from my fans via letters etc. It's easier for me to skate to a comical one, but I wanted to respond to my fans' request since this is my final season.

---Oda skates to 'Last Samurai.' As I thought, you intended it.
    Of course. I expected people pay attention to figure skating and see even gala shows, since this is the Olympic season. I really feel thankful for it. So I chose it.

Knowing hardships as a parent, I feel thankful to her again.

---Your mother is your coach. what kind of person is she?
    When I was a junior high school student, I was in the period of rebelliousness and I resisted her a lot. However, now I have my family and got to know the hardships as a parent. So I feel more thankful to her than before. Since my mental got changed and first of all I trust her as a coach, she is a very important person with whom I can discuss about my skating and other things which I feel uneasy.

---Tell me about the merit and the demerit to have a coach who is your mother.
    The demerit is to be emotional to each other. The merit is she understands me in detail. She understands 100 percent about what I feel hard mentally, and also she knows how to deal with it.

---Do you get emotional still now?
    Yes, I do. I'm kinda short-tempered person. For example, she changed my costume a day before NHK Trophy and I was not informed about it at all. I wanted to tell by myself about the design that I wished to be to the designer working at a shop in Shibuya. But my mother decided everything at the shop alone. Now I understand she wanted to support me by changing my costumes, though. Well, I was able to show a good performance in that costume so I said "It worked well". She answered "So I said before." Then I thought "Oh, your response is not proper." Well, I think I'm getting over my short-temper after having my family.

---Are there anything else changed after being a father?
    I got to pay attention to other people's children. Or when I eat out in a restaurant, I ask "Would you have another glass of water?" etc. Since I used to be kinda self-centered person, I could't behave as I do now. But now I can pay attention to people around me. Such as when I see a mother with children on the train, I think "Is she OK(standing there)?" I got to think about things from other people's viewpoints. So I wonder if I became more gentle than before in that sense.

---How do you get rid of stress other than playing with your sons?
    I enjoy eating in various restaurants. I love eating, it's almost my hobby. Since I love ramen, I went to from one ramen shop to another in Ichijoji, Kyoto the other day. Ichijoji is a town which has many good ramen shops. Of course I don't forget keeping my proper weight.

I want to face it with my self confidence.

---You've already announced your retirement after this season. What does Sochi Olympics mean for you?
    I think Sochi is the final biggest stage in my skating life. Although I haven't got the spot, If I get it, I want to make good performances and come back smiling.

---What do you feel looking back your life as a skater, you began skating at the age of seven?
    It's been a succession of good lucks. Such as my mother was a figure skating coach, and also I was blessed with an environment which allowed me to continue skating. As for the competitions, I feel I've been always lucky.

---What was the hardest?
    Day-to-day practices were hard, but I guess I fest the hardest when I was away from skating by injuries.

---What was the happiest?
    When I do every good performance. I always feel "How lucky I am to have been a skater," when it's over.

---Do you have any play after retiring from competitions?
    I've trained at Kansai University Arena since 2007. One of my dreams/goals is to teach skaters who aim at making Olympic teams. other than that, since I wish I'll be active in various fields, I'll challenge various things without turning down the offers as much as possible.

---The battle for the Olympic spots is the hardest ever. Do you have a confidence to win one?
    Yes, I have a confidence. Since I think you can't win, if you don't say "yes." Having confidence and also anxiety, I want to face it believing myself.

---What kind of skating do you want to show, if you make an Sochi team?
    Since I ended up with unsatisfactory performance, I want to appeal that the same skater can show this good performance this time to people not only in Japan but also all over the world.

---Are you aiming at a medal?
    Yes, aiming at a medal I have worked to improve my jumps. If I can show 100% clean performances, I feel I'll achieve close to the medal. So first of all I'll try my best to show my best performances there.

photos:
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...60005-spnavi_4
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...60005-spnavi_5
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...60005-spnavi_6

Go get a spot for Olympics, Nobu.

vCash
    Go get a spot for Olympics, Nobu.
    Amen to that! Thanks for the terrific translation, rosewood.

vCash
    My pleasure.

vCash
    Thanks a lot, rosewood! What a great interview

Nobu and Mao should run a cooking TV show someday, their interviews always make me hungry because they go about food all the time

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast