Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Go Seahawks! YES!!!

vCash
    Congratulations to the Broncos and Seahawks for making it to the Superbowl. My guess is that the Broncos will be considered the favorites, but Seattle is also a strong team.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Seahawks all the way, baby!!

My reasons are twofold:

For starters, Seattle was my adopted city when we lived there from June of 2001 until February of 2003.

Secondly, the Broncos, led by John Elway , played my beloved Atlanta Falcons in their one trip (so far) to the Superbowl. Win or lose (usually losing), my father was a life-long, dyed-in-the-wool, devoted Falcons fan. In May of 1998, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (adenocarcinoma), and his oncologist gave him 3-4 months to live. He defied the odds, not only surpassing the Doctor's prognosis, but by also being extremely lucid up until around the seventh or eighth month (when the cancer metastasized).

As the cancer ravaged his body, his heath had taken a major downhill turn over the course of the two weeks leading up to the Superbowl. In spite of that, he was hell-bent on watching the game. The night of the Superbowl, Dad was in really bad shape, and it was obvious that he likely would not survive the night. Our entire family gathered in his hospital room to watch the game with him (even though he was fairly out of most of the time).

From the start of the game, it was fairly obvious that there was no way that Atlanta was going to pull off a victory as they were playing the same way they had for over thirty years of disastrous seasons. As the second quarter came to a close, Dad stirred to consciousness long enough to inquire about the score, at which time we tod him that Denver was on their way to a rout .

Upon hearing that news, he said (paraphrasing it), "Forget this mess," and ten minutes later during halftime, he died.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but the Superbowls haven't really been a time of celebration for our immediate family since then.

That said, Go Seahawks!! Beat the snot out of Denver!!!
    Last edited by Cyn; 01-21-2014 at 05:35 AM. Reason: There's a big difference between "Superbowl" and "Supergown" lol

vCash
    Belichick is accusing Wes Welker (former Pats receiver) of deliberately taking out the Pats' best corner, Aquib Talib:
    In the first half of New England’s loss at Denver, Broncos receiver Wes Welker flattened Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib on an apparent pick play, knocking New England’s best defensive back out of the game.

Welker claimed that he didn’t intend to hit Talib. Patriots coach Bill Belichick feels otherwise. Strongly.

“It is a deliberate play by the receiver to take out Aqib,” Belichick told reporters Monday morning. “No attempt to get open. And I’ll let the league handle the discipline on that play. It’s not for me to decide, but it’s one of the worst plays I’ve seen. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-hitting-talib
    Pretty un-Patriot-like to make comments that could be interpreted as sour grapes post-game. Usually they are more diplomatic on the podium. Will be interesting to see if the league thinks Wes' shot was dirty. I don't think he's at all known for cheap shots, unlike, say, Hines Ward.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 01-21-2014 at 03:36 AM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Hasn't Welker complained about Belichick? I wonder if this is payback for his comments.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    IMHO whiny tired old piece Belichick is still trying to punish his prodigal son. Sour grapes indeed. No doubt he wants the league to prevent WW from playing in the Super Bowl.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    And just when I thought Belichick was being graceful in defeat...he goes and spoils it.

I do wish Welker had stayed with the Patriots, but he's definitely not a perfect player (or person. I do give him the benefit of the doubt in the strife with Belichick...because it is Belichick we're talking about). But I highly doubt he would purposefully try to injure another player.

vCash
    This is the same belichick who was fined in 2007 for cheating? Right, or is there another belicick who coaches the New England Patriots?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I don't care one iota about football, but it was nice seeing so many people in the city out in the "12th Man" gear all weekend. And apparently Seattle Seahawks fans are to the NFL what Seattle Storm fans are to the WNBA: super loud I think it's because we're used to losing.

Anyway, I had some friends over Sunday night, and one begged to let her watch the end of the game with the sound off. it was such a tight finish that we had volume up and were yelling along with the whole city.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I'm sure Crabtree is no saint, but after watching Sherman at the end of that game, well, all us neutral people are going to root for Denver. He's got two whole weeks to answer questions about his behavior. Good times!
    I was a bit surprised by the interview, but decided to read up on the background of the player and the comments from the other player that had preceded the game, since I have no idea about any FB players. I don't think Sherman needs to "answer" for his comments at all.

I am, however, revolted at fans who threw food at the player coming off the field. You always cheer off an injured player. Always.

So I guess I have to watch the Superbowl? When is it - Feb 2?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Pretty un-Patriot-like to make comments that could be interpreted as sour grapes post-game. Usually they are more diplomatic on the podium.
    But the quote you posted said Belichick made the statement Monday, not post-game at the podium.

I didn't see the play, but from what I've read it wasn't an unusual kind of play. That doesn't mean it wasn't dirty, but it doesn't sound like the one of worst plays ever.

As to the criticisms of Belichick, my (Super Bowl bound) man Peyton thinks that Belichick will go down as the best coach ever (and not just because the Pats couldn't handle the Broncos on Sunday ). So there!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I didn't see the play, but from what I've read it wasn't an unusual kind of play. That doesn't mean it wasn't dirty, but it doesn't sound like the one of worst plays ever.
    Fact is, it wasn't dirty, and evidently the only one who thinks it was is Belichick. No doubt Belichick is one of the all time greats, but he lost two Super Bowls to vastly inferior teams....Walsh, Lombardi and Noll never did that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    But the quote you posted said Belichick made the statement Monday, not post-game at the podium.
    I didn't mean the immediate post-game comments, I just mean that following a game (whether immediately at the podium or the next day), the Pats are sort of famous for moving on, win or lose, and not whining. They're not my team, but it's an admirable quality. If BB was going to whine about something, it should have been the Carolina game (non-PI call at the end), not the Welker play.

The Broncos will practice at the Jets facility, which is in my town, Florham Park! I'm hoping if I squint hard enough, I might see Peyton's head from my porch!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Can't wait for the Superbowl next Sunday! Rooting for the Seahawks, but I think Peyton Manning's experience compared to Russell Wilson will get him the win.

vCash
    ^ I'm the opposite, I think Peyton winning the regular season MVP award is the jinx that will put the game in the Seahawks' hands.

Marc Lawrence of playbook.com has compiled a chart on how quarterbacks who have won regular-season MVP awards have fared in Super Bowls -- and the results aren't good.

They're 6-11 straight up and 5-10-2 against the spread, including 0-4 straight up and against the spread since 2008, according to Lawrence.

"When it comes to the postseason, winning the NFL MVP award is akin to winning the Heisman Trophy for bowl teams," Lawrence says.

Here's why:
    Year Game QB Team (Spread) Final Score
    1967 SB I Bart Starr Packers (-14) Packers 35, Chiefs 10
    1969 SB III Earl Morrall Colts (-18) Jets 16, Colts 7
    1979 SB XIII Terry Bradshaw Steelers (-3.5) Steelers 35, Cowboys 31
    1982 SB XVI Ken Anderson Bengals (+1) 49ers 26, Bengals 21
    1984 SB XVIII Joe Theisman Redskins (-3) Raiders 38, Redskins 9
    1985 SB XIX Dan Marino Dolphins (+3.5) 49ers 38, Dolphins 16
    1988 SB XXII John Elway Broncos (-3) Redskins 42, Broncos 10
    1989 SB XXIII Boomer Esiason Bengals (+7) 49ers 20, Bengals 16
    1990 SB XXIV Joe Montana 49ers (-12) 49ers 55, Broncos 10
    1995 SB XXIX Steve Young 49ers (-18.5) 49ers 49, Chargers 26

1997 SB XXXI Brett Favre Packers (-14) Packers 35, Patriots 21
    1998 SB XXXII Brett Favre Packers (-11) Broncos 31, Packers 24
    2000 SB XXXIV Kurt Warner Rams (-7) Rams 23, Titans 16
    2002 SB XXXVI Kurt Warner Rams (-14) Patriots 20, Rams 17
    2003 SB XXXVII Rich Gannon Raiders (-4) Bucs 48, Raiders 21
    2008 SB XLII Tom Brady Patriots (-12) Giants 17, Patriots 14
    2010 SB XLIV Peyton Manning Colts (-5) Saints 31, Colts 17
    2014 SB XLVIII Peyton Manning Broncos (-2.5) Broncos ?, Seahawks ?

vCash
    Cheylana,

Thanks for the info! Very interesting!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456