Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Were Rodnina & Ulanov ever an off ice couple? I know Smirnova & Ulanov fell in love and that led to the split with their previous partners and the formation of their own partnership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Were Rodnina & Ulanov ever an off ice couple? I know Smirnova & Ulanov fell in love and that led to the split with their previous partners and the formation of their own partnership.
    In the video I had watched (this was over 15- may be 20- years ago) they showed Irina crying after their 1972 worlds LP because she knew it was their last partnership together. That was followed by "she picked up the pieces..." This sounds like the breakup of just an on-ice partnership. Quite possibly she was in love with him at one time but he fell in love with Smirnova. I am guessing of course. I don't know if R&U were actually an off ice couple but there may have been some emotional involvement. In the past many Russian/USSR pairs seemed to get married and later divorce.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    I am quite sure they were, not 100% though. Ridnina was my great idol at that time, and I remember the Finnish tv commentator making very clear that they broke both on ice and off ice relationship with Ulanov. I was a kid that time, so I might have misinterpreted it, but I really felt for her... And then she came back shining and won again, with a new partner.

vCash
    I always thought that Ulanov became involved with the Russian #2 pair skater (Smirnova) and this broke Rodnina's heart. The condition with which she was exhaustedly being practically propped up as they left the ice following their gold medal free skate at 1972 worlds was then described by the commentators in the US to be partly (largely) a product of a broken heart.

Well Rodnina sure came back with a vengeance. If I recall correctly, she had a literal casting call for a partner replacement, and seemed to go out of her way to chose Zaitsev - then one of the taller, trimmer men in the world of pairs. Gold. Husband. Baby. More Gold. Done. Divorced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12