Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Should have absolutely won 93.

vCash
    Basic skating skills, which Surya didn't have, were a huge deal back then, and we actually counted it in the TM and AI, if it was really bad or really good. I never understood how she placed as high as she did much of the time, and would have long, frustrated chats with other judges over it. It wasn't a matter of preferring any given lady (or country) over Surya, it was just the fact that she could. Not. Skate.

Stuff she she couldn't do:

Edges: depth, control, line, posture, speed (while holding the edge), flow
    Jumps: flow in, flow out, amount of ice covered while in the air, cheats, lack of edge going in (which, at the time, was actually enough for a judge not to count the jump at all, if they desired)
    Artistry: awareness of music - ability to move in some way harmoniously with the music, choreography making sense and exhibiting basic skating skills - there was not the emphasis on complicated footwork or transitions then, but much attention was paid to skating true edges versus toe tapping, running down the ice, hops, etc.

She did improve over the years, but it was too little, too late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmar View Post
    Basic skating skills, which Surya didn't have, were a huge deal back then, and we actually counted it in the TM and AI, if it was really bad or really good. I never understood how she placed as high as she did much of the time, and would have long, frustrated chats with other judges over it. It wasn't a matter of preferring any given lady (or country) over Surya, it was just the fact that she could. Not. Skate.

Stuff she she couldn't do:

Edges: depth, control, line, posture, speed (while holding the edge), flow
    Jumps: flow in, flow out, amount of ice covered while in the air, cheats, lack of edge going in (which, at the time, was actually enough for a judge not to count the jump at all, if they desired)
    Artistry: awareness of music - ability to move in some way harmoniously with the music, choreography making sense and exhibiting basic skating skills - there was not the emphasis on complicated footwork or transitions then, but much attention was paid to skating true edges versus toe tapping, running down the ice, hops, etc.

She did improve over the years, but it was too little, too late.
    Thanks for a 1990s judge's perspective on Bonaly's skating. The last sentence is a little poignant about how she was judged later on. It's a shame many felt that way as I really do believe her Nagano SP was undermarked. Maybe it's because I've fallen for the COP mindset of a 3toe/3toe being worth more than a 3Lutz combo, but I really do think she should have been at least 5th (I would have had her in 4th since I found her spins and jumps to be better than Lu Chen's) for that SP.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Had Bonaly finished above Chen in the short program I also dont think Chen would have won the bronze over Butyrskaya even with Marias weak and nervy performance and Lus inspired one in the free skate. It would have affected the whole mentality of the judges going into the LP to have someone who really had no chance of a medal (Bonaly) ahead of you.

vCash
    deleted
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 09-12-2013 at 05:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Maybe it's because I've fallen for the COP mindset of a 3toe/3toe being worth more than a 3Lutz combo, but I really do think she should have been at least 5th (I would have had her in 4th since I found her spins and jumps to be better than Lu Chen's) for that SP.
    Both had labourous jumps that night, and Bonaly's deathdrop was under-revved. While Chen was nothing more than an average spinner, the way Bonaly lost speed during her spins, steps and spirals was and still is a big no-no. There's no way she should have been above Chen on either mark.

Aside from the one pop, Slutskaya's elements were clearly superior to Bonaly's. Both were clunky skaters but at least Slutskaya had and maintained more speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmar View Post

In this thread we are talking specifically about Surya's performances at 1993, 1994 and 1995 Worlds and she had good flow out of lots of jumps in those competitions. As it was already said, she took off from a deep outside edge on the lutz (and had a curvy, non-telegraphed entry to it) and cheated very few jumps except for the 2nd parts of some of her very difficult triple-triple combinations which very few other ladies even attempted at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Both had labourous jumps that night, and Bonaly's deathdrop was under-revved. While Chen was nothing more than an average spinner, the way Bonaly lost speed during her spins, steps and spirals was and still is a big no-no. There's no way she should have been above Chen on either mark.

Aside from the one pop, Slutskaya's elements were clearly superior to Bonaly's. Both were clunky skaters but at least Slutskaya had and maintained more speed.
    Are you talking about 1998?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I disagree with you on Bonaly vs Chen atleast. Bonaly's combination jump, double axel, and three spin elements were all MUCH better than Chen's. Their other 3 elements were more or less the same that night. I would have had Bonaly way over Chen on the technical mark, probably by atleast .3, and had her ahead overall based on that.

Slutskaya is an interesting case. Other than the double-double combination she was much superior to either Bonaly or Chen, but that is a big mistake vs their clean (well if Chen with all her shaky elements can be counted as a rough clean) skates that night.

Chan was definitely overmarked in both the SP and LPs in Nagano though, and her bronze was a dubious result at best. It was almost a make up present for the judges for times she had been undermarked in the distant past. Bonaly was definitely screwed in the SP, as a result of being a perceived has been, and so came back with her back flip int he long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I disagree with you on Bonaly vs Chen atleast. Bonaly's combination jump, double axel, and three spin elements were all MUCH better than Chen's. Their other 3 elements were more or less the same that night. I would have had Bonaly way over Chen on the technical mark, probably by atleast .3, and had her ahead overall based on that.

But didn't you notice that Bonaly's jumps, according to Marco, were "labourous" that night?

---

Of course Bonaly deserved to be ahead of Chen in the SP in Nagano.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    But didn't you notice that Bonaly's jumps, according to Marco, were "labourous" that night?
    Not just that night. Then again you always prefer labourous skating.

Solo triple to Bonaly despite slightly scratchy landing because of immediate preceding steps, combination jump and 2axel about even because while Chen was tentative, Bonaly's setup was plain awkward and for some reason she didn't properly check her landings that night.

Spins, spirals and steps and second mark all to Chen.
    Last edited by Marco; 09-13-2013 at 02:31 AM.

vCash
    Did you even rewatch the performances? Bonaly's spins were slow and GOT slower. Her deathdrop was under-revved which was a deduction. Chen's spins maintained good speed even if they were simple. Good speed and stretch to flying camel and good arch to layback.

Bonaly had very little actual content in her steps even though she seemed to be moving from end to end.

Spirals looked about even in difficulty but Chen did exhibit better edges, variety and CONTROL. I had no idea why Bonaly had to fizzle out of all her spiral positions.

Adding in their respective basics, speed, technique, having Chen ahead on the first mark is more than fair. I actually think this was Bonaly's best short program but quality wise she just wasn't there.

My take:

Chen 5.4/5.8 (deduction for hesitant 3toe)
    Slutskaya 5.2/5.6 (lower base mark by about 0.4-5)
    Bonaly 5.3/5.4 (deduction for deathdrop)

vCash
    Chen stalked her double axel forever, her jump combination was cheated and small, her combination spin was dreadfully bad (travelled badly, poor positions, not many rotations). No way would I have given her a 5.4 for elements or even a 5.8 for presentation for that performance. I actually agree with the judges who gave 5.1 or 5.2 for elements, that was about right, the 4.9 maybe a bit harsh but still more reasonable that the ridiculous 5.6 from the U.S judge.

I know from past experience those who dont like Bonaly will not stand to any reason on her so I wont even bother going into her further. Although 5.3 and 5.4 isnt that out of line for that performance, but as I would give Chen something like 5.1 and 5.5 or 5.6, that would still put Bonaly in front of Chen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    This - in a nutshell. Imo, in the days of compulsory figures she would have been lucky if she placed top 20 at a Worlds or Olympics (in that portion of the competition) and top 10 or top 15 overall. Midori had far superior edge work and still struggled with the figures competition. I have no doubt that Bonaly would have been murdered by the judges in that segment.
    Under 6.0, Skating Skills were part of the technical mark.

Therefore, Bonaly neither had the whole technical package, nor did she have the presentation.

vCash
    Bonaly did skate at the 89 and 90 Worlds when there was figured and did place top 10 in both. Although the fields were extremely weak in both as an old Claudia Leistner and Holly Cook were medalists at those Worlds.

vCash
    Chan was definitely overmarked in both the SP and LPs in Nagano though, and her bronze was a dubious result at best. It was almost a make up present for the judges for times she had been undermarked in the distant past. Bonaly was definitely screwed in the SP, as a result of being a perceived has been, and so came back with her back flip int he long.
    This has to be the most un-ironic spelling mistake ever !!! I see someone'e ready for the upcoming season!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Under 6.0, Skating Skills were part of the technical mark.

Therefore, Bonaly neither had the whole technical package, nor did she have the presentation.
    Thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    This has to be the most un-ironic spelling mistake ever !!! I see someone'e ready for the upcoming season!!!
    Haha so true. I didnt do that on purpose, I promise, maybe only subconsciously.

vCash
    Did Chan have a sex change?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Did Chan have a sex change?
    Please, no, I love him as a male skater !

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast