Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2013-14 Program Music & Choreographer news & info known to date (continued)

Javier Raya(Spain) will skate to "Les Miserables" for the short and "Sing, Sing, Sing" for the long, both choreographed by Iván Sáez. He's not planning a quad. His first competition is Lombardia Trophy.

http://www.hieloespanol.es/1/javier_...g_1361513.html

vCash
    Pernelle Carron & Lloyd Jones FD: (from their official facebook page in French)
    Swan Lake with a remix specially created by the group BEAT CIRCUIT.
    Both programs were created in London, where the great creative energy inspired them.
    They kept the musical order of the piece and created a `twist`to explore different genres of dance and interpretations from classical, to contemporary, body popping,...
    Last edited by kirkbiggestfan; 09-05-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Link to l'etoile's compilation posts of Men's program music, followed by Ladies', in the previous thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3981670

Pairs: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3982340

Ice Dance: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3983017
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Both programs were created in London, where the great creative energy inspired them.
    They kept the musical order of the piece and created a `twist`to explore different genres of dance and interpretations from classical, to contemporary, body poping,...
    I am skeptical

vCash
    Me too. Very Sceptical.

I take it that "body poping" is "body popping" and this is hiphop Swan Lake remix

vCash
    Yes, body popping and Lloyd Jones in the same sentence!

vCash
    Oh God. The only person I trust with a Swan Lake remix is Daisuke Takahashi.
    Touching the void.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Misha Ge (UZB) tweeted the link to his FS (Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op.43 by Sergei Rachmaninoff) from last month's Asian Open comp. in Bangkok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QMAZ5eFdas

His SP video link from the same competition was posted in the earlier thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3980950
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It seems to me that this hasn't been mentioned before. From PJ Kwong's High Performance Camp news page, http://storify.com/skatingpj/all-in-...ing-day-s-work, the choreographer for Weaver and Poje's SD is Geoffrey Tyler.

I'm surprised. When did he start working on competitive programs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    They kept the musical order of the piece and created a `twist`to explore different genres of dance and interpretations from classical, to contemporary, body popping,...
    oh my goodness.
    i will shut my mouth and just open it after i have seen anything, but i will fear the worst

vCash
    I'm surprised. When did he start working on competitive programs?
    (Regarding Geoffrey Tyler). I think he was initially their acting coach when they were working on 'Je Suis Malade'. He has done choreography for them since then, however. PJ Kwong explores the choreography connection a bit in her podcast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Me too. Very Sceptical.

I take it that "body poping" is "body popping" and this is hiphop Swan Lake remix
    ...and not body pooping. Even Miley wouldn't do that....

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    ...and not body pooping. Even Miley wouldn't do that....
    Well, there's always next year's VMAs .

vCash
    Riazanova/Tkachenko
    SD: Chicago
    FD: Phantom of the Opera

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/11303.html

Sinitsina/Zhiganshin
    FD: Norma (opera) by Bellini

interview about SD and FD storylines http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/11299.html

vCash
    Warhorse alert: Oh, another POTO. Joy!
    Touching the void.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Riazanova/Tkachenko
    SD: Chicago
    FD: Phantom of the Opera

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/11303.html

Let me guess...it was Igor's idea

I find them so much better than I/k and B/S.

vCash
    To the many posters in the other thread who seemed to be so offended by Savchenko/Szolkowy's "Send in the Clowns" costumes - I'm not sure any are reading this continued thread, but WHY?

The title is essentially "Send in the Fools," describing the lead characters as fools for the choices they'd made/are making. What in the world was wrong with them unmasking the facade and portraying the characters for what they really were: clowns/fools? It was clear in their expression and in the choreography that they understood the meaning and there were many moments where they would come together and separate, look a little bashful, show yearning (spinning around and looking down on their own in the beginning), etc. which was all very much in keeping with the song's meaning. I thought the program and costumes were a masterpiece.

I am sure I missed the discussion the first time around, so I hate to beat a dead horse, but with so many warhorses being chosen this season, it depresses me to see a team criticized for taking such a theatrical and unique approach to a song.

I hope somewhere among the black and red (with a few roses in the hair and matador jackets) Carmens, black and white (with some feathers) Swan Lakes, etc. we see someone find and act out a different character or deeper meaning or metaphor in these tired themes, and aren't scared of this type of reaction to something new. Or, hell, maybe they'll hear these songs and think of something completely unrelated to the ballet/movie/play... Maybe S/S heard the song and it just reminded them of sad clowns? Who cares if it did? If I wanted to see the same characters portrayed on ice, I woud go see a Broadway show. I am interested in seeing how this music transitions to ice and what it means to that skater/choreographer.

Rant over. But, in reality, it is truly maddening to see the music selections this year. Aren't the coaches and choreographers bored? I just can't imagine that someone would pick a career in an artistic/creative field and feel stimulated and satsfied by choreographing 29 Scheherezades. You would think in an Olympic year, especially, you would want to create and perform something special, personal and iconic. 1998 Ladies is a great example... The top 4's programs were all PERFECT for them. Lipinski with a Disney SP and exuberant LP, Kwan with a powerful classic SP and lyrical angelic LP, and LuLu with a sexy SP and cultural and spiritual LP. Down the list of skaters, every program fit that skater.... From Bute's mature selections to Slutskaya and Sokolova's playful and folksy choices, and finally, Hubert and Gusmeroli's avant garde pieces. There wasn't a warhorse to be found!
    Last edited by JJS5056; 09-09-2013 at 07:39 AM.

vCash
    From Johnny Weir's facebook:
    Check it out :http://t.co/dmI4SgeH8n Practice performance for my in-laws last week over Rosh Hoshanah. I'll continue to rework the choreo!
    LP to "Schindler's List"

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    The title is essentially "Send in the Fools," describing the lead characters as fools for the choices they'd made/are making. What in the world was wrong with them unmasking the facade and portraying the characters for what they really were: clowns/fools? It was clear in their expression and in the choreography that they understood the meaning and there were many moments where they would come together and separate, look a little bashful, show yearning (spinning around and looking down on their own in the beginning), etc. which was all very much in keeping with the song's meaning. I thought the program and costumes were a masterpiece.
    Word. Their program had a bittersweet vibe that reflected the song's lyrics.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninchen View Post
    From Johnny Weir's facebook:

LP to "Schindler's List"
    AFAIK this is an exhibition program that he debuted in Sun Valley, Idaho on August 31 - link to a fancam video from SV is posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3989163

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast