Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Dancing with the Stars, Season 17

Since the last thread is about Season 16, I thought I'd start a new one about the current season.

Cast and partnerships.

What in heck is a Snooki?

It'll be interesting to see how far Amber and Derek make it.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I actually find this to be a promising lineup. I hope Valerie Harper can move.

Funny they have both Amber and Corbin Bleu in the same lineup - similar demographic, from the fan standpoint.

Snooki is the same thing as that abdominal guy.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Whoever Derek is partnered with almost always lasts deep into the competition.
    I don't expect any less this season.

vCash
    I was disappointed (to put it mildly) that Anna wasn't selected to be on the show again this season until I read that Anna is pregnant! Congratulations to her!!

vCash

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I feel almost ashamed to admit it, given I just found High School Musical annoying, but...Corbin Bleu has improved with age.

Also...Bill Nye the Science Guy!

vCash
    Valerie did dance when she was younger. From her wiki page:

"When her family returned to Oregon, Harper remained in the New York City area to study ballet. She attended Lincoln High School in Jersey City, graduating from the private Young Professionals School on West 56th Street, where classmates included Sal Mineo, Tuesday Weld, and Carol Lynley.[1]

Harper began as a dancer/chorus girl on Broadway in 1959 in the musical Li'l Abner and went on to perform in several Broadway shows, some choreographed by Michael Kidd, including Wildcat (starring Lucille Ball), Take Me Along (starring Jackie Gleason), and Subways Are For Sleeping."

As most people know, Elizabeth "danced" in Showgirls.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I follow "Dancers Over 40" on Facebook, and they are over the moon about Valerie participating, she is their new profile photo. I realize she has health limitations, but she could surprise us all.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I have never heard of Corbin Bleu, Amber Riley, Bill Engvall, Brant Daugherty, or Bill Nye. I didn't know Leah Remini's name, but I recognize her face from TV. I assume Jack Osborne is one of Ozzy/Sharon's kids?

I will be rooting for Rhoda.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Valerie Harper was in the film Lil Abner - in the chorus. Here is one of several clips. She's on the right side of the screen (sometimes ends up behind Stubby Kay) - orange dress with a hat and with white daisies on the tips of her pigtails which are wired so they extend out from her head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TfcJ82FAhw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Me too! I just listened to several of her interviews via youtube - she's pretty wonderful. Then again, I always liked her.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I have never heard of Corbin Bleu, Amber Riley, Bill Engvall, Brant Daugherty, or Bill Nye. I didn't know Leah Remini's name, but I recognize her face from TV. I assume Jack Osborne is one of Ozzy/Sharon's kids?

Welcome to the interweb, Grammps.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    What in heck is a Snooki?
    I'm not a DWTS fan by any means, by my mom, aunt, sister, and nieces all watch it, so I usually get an earful about each show the next day whether I want to hear it or not .

My hat's off to you for managing to escape the media overkill of Snooki coverage (not too unlike their constant attempts to shove the Kartrashians down the publics' throats). If you were to look up the phrase "reality show train wreck personality" in the dictionary (if such a section existed), Snooki's picture would be listed as an example. A sack of hair has more smarts than does Miss Polizzi -- she manages to make the rest of the cast of Jersey Shore seem relatively intelligent by comparison .

MiniCyn was a fan of Flight 29 Down and several of the other shows/movies geared toward the tween/teen audience back when they were in their first run heyday, so I was familiar with the name Corbin Bleu, but damn, does he look different now than he did back then.

Leah Remini - Between the show King of Queens being utter shite and all of Remini's ranting of Scientology BS, I hope she's one of the first ones to go.

Amber Riley will likely have a ginormous fanbase going into this season, so between that and having Derek Hough as a partner, she's likely the odds-on favorite to win, unless Valerie Harper snatches the sentimental voting bloc.

Nomi Malone is competing this season? Will she put ice cubes on her nipples before taking the stage? Will Gina Gershon make a guest appearance? Will Kyle MacLachlan show up so they can reprise their "pool duet?" Will she be decked out in costumes designed by Ver-Sayce? Will she take a zillion caffeine pills before performing? The snarkability for this pairing is sheer gold .

If I had to choose a "star" to root for, it would be Bill Engvall, as he's one of my all-time favorite comedians. Of the four guys from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour (Engvall, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, and Larry the Cable Guy), I find Bill Engvall to be the funniest of the bunch (followed closely by Ron White). Bill is not only hilarious, he manages to do so without resorting to cursing every other word. Sidenote -- there's something about his partner, Emma Slater (at least in that photo) that reminds me me of Amber Corwin .

Lastly, I wonder if Cheryl Burke will be dancing while wearing Depends .
    Last edited by Cyn; 09-06-2013 at 10:41 AM.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    If I had to choose a "star" to root for, it would be Bill Engvall, as he's one of my all-time favorite comedians. Of the four guys from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour (Engvall, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, and Larry the Cable Guy), I find Bill Engvall to be the funniest of the bunch (followed closely by Ron White). Bill is not only hilarious, he manages to do so without resorting to cursing every other word..
    Me too and totally agree (I can still here him screaming when telling the story about flying with the Blue Angels!). I'll be voting for him out of the block until he ain't there no more.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Leah Remini - Between the show King of Queens being utter shite and all of Remini's ranting of Scientology BS, I hope she's one of the first ones to go..
    I don't think you'll have to endure her much. I just saw an old King of Queens show tonight in which she was supposed to be dancing like a salsa or something similar. Totally reminded me of Kate Gosslin "dancing".

vCash
    Saved by the Bell reunion!! Stacy Carosi and Jessie Spano. Here's hoping that Zack Attack perform at one of the live results shows. And PLEASE have Elizabeth dance to I'm So Excited!

But I'm rooting for Bill Nye. I used to watch his show every day after school. (And I now teach elementary school science). Wondering if they'll be able to work the theme song into a dance...

I actually don't think that Amber will do all that well. She's by far one of the weakest dancers on Glee, which is glaring when she'd be dancing next to others. She'll get teen votes, as well as some sympathy ones because of Cory Monteith's death.

Corbin can dance. I remember that from the High School Musical movies. Plus, he's not exactly hard to look at.

Hopefully he ends up being as charming as his sister, but Jack Osbourne may get some sympathy votes. He and his wife just confirmed that she had a miscarriage in her second trimester. He also has multiple sclerosis.

vCash
    Bill Engvall had a sitcom on TBS which also starred a then unknown Jennifer Lawrence.

ETA:,Leah left Scientology this summer with a lot of fanfare. I have a feeling that's why she's on the show.

vCash
    Already I'm enjoying the comments here much more than I will enjoy the show!

vCash
    I almost like it better when I really have no favorites or know most of the contestants. It's fun just to sit back and see who emerges--it's always a bit of a surprise.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    I never watch this but I *might* tune in for Bill Nye the Science Guy. Hometown favorite and a NERD to boot!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast