• Chen

21 23.08%
  • Ando

12 13.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I voted for Kwan, since it seems like once she got one competitor out of the way and it looked like she'd win another Olympics, someone else would come along who could beat her. Granted, her main rivals were Chen, Lipinski, and Slutskaya, and only one of those managed to actually win an Olympics.
    I am amazed Kwan is credited as having Chen as competition by people when Chen was only her rival for one event- 1996 Worlds. Chen choked and skated awful at every other event that season, and before that season Kwan was not even a top skater. After 1996 Worlds Chen was never again a top skater even though she fluked into a bronze at the 98 Olympics after 5 or 6 people choked.

Lipinski was a rival but only around for 12 months.

That leaves Slutskaya as Kwan's only real competition, and their rivalry was really only about 2 years, 2000 Grand Prix final until 2002 Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Yes the results make no sense. If Kim is the best skater of this era, how do people who are not as good as her have less tough competition even though they are competing against her? LOL.
    People like Kim, Kwan, Witt, should all be automatically eliminated as having the toughest competition. For each they faced all the same people as the others of their era, minus they didnt face themselves, and the others had to face them. Thus it is impossible for them to have had the toughest competition. The others of their own era by default already had tougher competition, even if their era was the toughest ever it still wouldnt make them having the toughest competition over others of their own time.

Kwan having more votes than Slutskaya and Kim having way more votes than Ando on a poll like this escapes any possible logic to the topic except people are just voting for who they think is the best or like most as a skater and not even thinking of the question in any logical sense.

vCash
    Butyrskaya had the toughest ever competition. She had Baiul, Bonaly, Markova, Slutskaya blocking her way to European podiums or World appearances early. Then Chen, Kwan, Lipinski, Slutskaya blocking her path to World and Olympic podiums. Later on it was Kwan, Hughes, Slutskaya, Cohen, she had to all face. She had to skate squeaky perfect and others to make mistakes even to hope for a bronze medal, and even that was often not enough for her to get that.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen had it pretty tough. She had to deal with Kwan most of her career. Also, at every World Championship she competed, except maybe 2002, the winner had a skate of her career. Even if Sasha had skated clean, a win wouldn't have been guaranteed. 2006 was really her only clear shot at gold.

vCash
    Sasha would be a really good choice too I agree. She had to come up competing against Kwan and Hughes in the U.S, and Kwan stuck around her whole career and continued to always be in godmode at Nationals, even if her international performances declined. She also had to face Slutskaya and Arakawa at their peaks, and every big event from 2002-2006 had the winner hitting it out of the park and setting a very tough standard to beat, even Meissner in 2006 hit it out of the park for herself (although in her case still was probably beatable by someone great).

I also find the huge number of votes for people like Kim, Kwan, and Witt funny. When you are the best you are competing against people weaker than you, less favored by the judges reputation wise than you, and general have the easiest path to win. The people who had the toughest competition are always going to be the challengers, not the stars. Then again the OP put mostly stars and dominant skaters in the poll with only a few exceptions, which shows how poorly layed out this topic was to begin with.

vCash
    I'm not sure what the purpose of the poll is (other than that it's already been done). It seems implied that weaker skaters have the toughest competition because more of the field can be considered competitive with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    I'm not sure what the purpose of the poll is (other than that it's already been done). It seems implied that weaker skaters have the toughest competition because more of the field can be considered competitive with them.
    I dont think that is what is being implied. If it were Ando, Kerrigan and Baiul wouldnt be a dead last by a huge margin on the poll, LOL! Not that Kerrigan or Baiul would be a good choice anyway however (well Kerrigan not as bad since she had to compete vs Ito, Yamaguchi, and Harding at her best and still consistently won medals, before the weak 93-94 years).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont think that is what is being implied. If it were Ando, Kerrigan and Baiul wouldnt be a dead last by a huge margin on the poll, LOL! Not that Kerrigan or Baiul would be a good choice anyway however (well Kerrigan not as bad since she had to compete vs Ito, Yamaguchi, and Harding at her best and still consistently won medals, before the weak 93-94 years).
    Skaters like Cohen, Butyrskaya, and Kostner, who are not considered all-time greats of their time, are getting mentioned as good examples of skaters with strong competition. Not consistent with the poll, but they're getting brought up.

It's confusing and redundant to put rivals in the same poll (i.e. Ito/Yamaguchi and Kwan/Slutskaya), which is why there are these divergent opinions.

vCash
    Well Ito and Yamaguchi did have quite different competition overall in that Ito faced the 86-88 generation of skaters in addition to the 89-92 one while Yamaguchi only faced the 89-92 generation of skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    I am amazed Kwan is credited as having Chen as competition by people when Chen was only her rival for one event- 1996 Worlds. Chen choked and skated awful at every other event that season, and before that season Kwan was not even a top skater. After 1996 Worlds Chen was never again a top skater even though she fluked into a bronze at the 98 Olympics after 5 or 6 people choked.

Lipinski was a rival but only around for 12 months.

That leaves Slutskaya as Kwan's only real competition, and their rivalry was really only about 2 years, 2000 Grand Prix final until 2002 Worlds.
    Chen and Kwan faced each other 3 times in major competition that season- Skate America, GPF and worlds. In 2 of those competitions Chen was actually leading over Kwan in the SP, and we all know how close worlds was that year.

Lipinski wasn't around that long, but it was still a very close competition between the 2 of them when they competed against each other. I agree Slutskaya/Kwan rivarly was only great from about 00-02, and it wasn't as an interesting imo as the other 2. Slutskaya was given huge gifts artistically,and the judges almost wanted to hand over titles to her, when she didn't deserve it ( see 00 and 01 worlds). Chen and Lipinski actually had to skate well to have any chance of beating Kwan.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Asada because she could have won every other Olympics by miles. Kim is so good that she beat 3 triple axels by 20 points. Asada's competition couldn't get much tougher than that.

vCash
    Asada's 2010 performances winning any other Olympics or not would make an interesting topic. I do think under COP it quite possibly would have even with her mistakes. Under COP she probably beats Kwan and Lipinski of 98, Hughes of 2002, and the only possible loss might be to Ito in 88 in fact. Under 6.0 though, it would be hard with 2 glaring mistakes to beat Lipinski and Kwan from 98, and maybe even Yamaguchi and Arakawa of 92 and 2006, but she would probably have constructed a whole different program to begin with under 6.0.

I am surprised Lynn doesnt have more votes. Competing against Schuba is almost impossible to win for an obvious reason, regardless what one thinks of her free skating. She also competed against numerous skaters who were exceptional in both figures and free skating- Lynn Holmes, Magnussen, Seyfert, Fleming, Maskova, a Hungarian skater whose name I forget. Winning so many medals with her iconic free skating alone against that group, despite always being poor in figures, shows why many consider her the greatest free skater ever still today.

vCash
    Kim and Asada I consider two of the top 5 women skaters of all time. So they had the hardest competition, each other. The next closest would be Ito and Yamaguchi. Slutskaya is barely a top 15 skater all time, if that, and she was Kwan's biggest competition so I wouldnt pick Kwan.

vCash
    The poll results are perfect. Kim and Asada by far the msot and Kerrigan and Baiul by far the least. Kerrigan and Baiul's main competition was each other since the judges underrated Sato, Chen, Choinherd, Harding, who were all better skaters than both of them so much. There couldnt be much easier competition than that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    The poll results are perfect. Kim and Asada by far the msot and Kerrigan and Baiul by far the least. Kerrigan and Baiul's main competition was each other since the judges underrated Sato, Chen, Choinherd, Harding, who were all better skaters than both of them so much. There couldnt be much easier competition than that.
    The judges underrated Chen and Sato, (especially Chen) but I don't think Chouinard and Harding were. Chouinard had many opportunities to medal and win big titles. She blew every single one. Harding was no longer a factor in competitions starting in 1992 worlds, where she barely landed 2 triples across her SP and LP.

vCash
    Kim and Asada overrating on this poll. Yes they face each other and both great skater but no prime at same time. Asada prime from 2004-2008 and Kim prime from 2009-2013.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12