Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 181
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Well, classical Russian skating style has certainly not been S/S skating style, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't "carry" the Nutcracker. ITA that S/S are more known for their own unique, innovative and quirky style, but still their style has always been grounded on the basic foundations of pairs skating technique(which is heavily influenced by Russian classical style). So, for their final competitive season, they are deciding to do something more along classical lines in Sochi.

  2. #42
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,671
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5868
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninchen View Post
    Thanks!

    I really see David Wilson's influence in the SP opening choreo... very much his style of hit-you-over-the-head-"artistry." Their lines look fantastic.

    I like the parts of the Nutcracker that they showed.... her carriage is so beautiful and she was playing the innocence of the character very well... I'm sure this will be a much better program than Bechke/Petrov or Shen/Zhao's Nutcrackers.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    An der Siegessäule
    Posts
    41
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At first I wasn't trilled about the music choices. But I liked the glimpses of their programs. Very promising. It is always a joy to see their lines. Wish them good luck.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4753
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Thanks!
    I like the parts of the Nutcracker that they showed.... her carriage is so beautiful and she was playing the innocence of the character very well... I'm sure this will be a much better program than Bechke/Petrov or Shen/Zhao's Nutcrackers.
    I think Shen/Zhao's Nutcracker will be impossible for S/S to beat, especially given Shen/Zhao's amazing connection. Their connection was not only romantic, but truly exemplified the pairs ideal of 'two shall skate as one'. This was particularly evident in The Nutcracker and they also skated that program completely clean and perfect.

    They got 6.0s across the board for artistry in that program. Although they had no chance of beating T&M due to making a serious mistake in the SP, the free skate competition belonged to them. The brilliance of that program and the judges' and audience's response to it, overshadowed T&M's win.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I never was amazed by Shen & Zhao's Nutcracker but then again I was never a huge fan of that team like many on this board. I prefered Beckhe & Petrov's from 92 artistically, although in a head to head competition I am sure S&Z would have won over B&P's as technically it was so much stronger than even B&P's best performance to it in Albertville. I will wait and see what S&S come up with. I wouldnt think that music is actually suited to them and surprised at the choice, but they might surprise me.

    The 6.0s for ANYONE at those Worlds are completely meaningless btw as the judges were clearly scoring on a ridiculous scale in a goodbye to the perfect 6.0 celebration. 57 6.0s were given out that week, including perfect 6.0s to people like Winkler & Lohse and Pang & Tong (on the artistic mark). Navka & Kostomarov had something like 11 6.0s, and it wasnt for a legendary program or anything. Kostner even got a 5.9 for technical merit with this skate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZ8Gu_shO0 Shen & Zhao had the best performance so they had to be given lots of 6.0s after they had already given even eventual bronze medalists Pang & Tong a 6.0 and a bunch of 5.9s, and T&M higher marks than that.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,754
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    i just came home from holidays and saw this link.
    thanks so much.

    i can't watch it and hear the music of the sp without getting teary eyes, knowing s/s will definetely be gone from competition after this season.

    i can't hope and pray enough for their deserved finale.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The 40-second part of S/S's new short program they showed in the video actually is a choreographic style I often see in Canadian pairs. Very smooth transitions from one element to the next, no apparent breaks in the motion over the ice, the program just flows seamlessly from the beginning to the end. One example that comes to mind is Purdy/Marinaro's SP from last season. But of course, S/S skate in a completely different league.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YE4G0Ix1QY

    Anyway, I suppose Steuer wanted his students to work with Wilson over the summer for a reason that goes far beyond Ingo thinking that David is such a nice guy and fun to be around.lol

    Re classical not being S/S's style, maybe there weren't many fans of figure skating who thought The Nutcracker would suit Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, however S/Z skated beautifully to the Nutcracker theme IMO. That S/Z were not everyone's cup of tea? Well, what skater is?

    Do Aliona and Robin plan on attempting the throw 3A jump in both programs or just the long one?

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,754
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    The 40-second part of S/S's new short program they showed in the video actually is a choreographic style I often see in Canadian pairs. Very smooth transitions from one element to the next, no apparent breaks in the motion over the ice, the program just flows seamlessly from the beginning to the end. One example that comes to mind is Purdy/Marinaro's SP from last season. But of course, S/S skate in a completely different league.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YE4G0Ix1QY

    Anyway, I suppose Steuer wanted his students to work with Wilson over the summer for a reason that goes far beyond Ingo thinking that David is such a nice guy and fun to be around.lol

    Re classical not being S/S's style, maybe there weren't many fans of figure skating who thought The Nutcracker would suit Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, however S/Z skated beautifully to the Nutcracker theme IMO. That S/Z were not everyone's cup of tea? Well, what skater is?

    Do Aliona and Robin plan on attempting the throw 3A jump in both programs or just the long one?
    it has been told in different press releases, that they plan to put the 3a both in the sp and in the fs.
    we will see, what will happen; but the 3a would come after twist and solo jumps in the sp (as you can say by the clip); but who can do this at the end of a free skate, why not at the end of a sp?

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just wondering to those more experted in pairs than me does a clean skate with their new throw triple axel ensure German team of gold medals? Or do top Russian team still have to make mistake or more than one mistake for German pair for gold medal, and how big of?

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,466
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Just wondering to those more experted in pairs than me does a clean skate with their new throw triple axel ensure German team of gold medals? Or do top Russian team still have to make mistake or more than one mistake for German pair for gold medal, and how big of?
    If I’m guessing at the elements correctly and the order they are in, S/S will have a buffer of well over 7 points with the two throws. If both teams are level 4 clean, V/T will have to get all +3 to S/S +2. Unless V/T put in harder jumps, they’ll only beat them with one lift worth .70. I guess it may come down to who is 'cleaner' GOE wise.

    Being in Russia could hurt V/T or help them, it a tremendous about of pressure they really haven't had yet.

    Also, S/S won't be competing in the team competition; V/T will be competing their short a few days before. That could also help or hurt them.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,282
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    5352
    I'm very excited to see both of their programs this season. I can't wait to see exactly what parts of The Nutcracker they have chosen. Can't wait for the season to start.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    220
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41
    Thank you for the link ,it sure looks promising!

    also interseting info on the points difference between V/T and S/S tecnic contents.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    it has been told in different press releases, that they plan to put the 3a both in the sp and in the fs.
    we will see, what will happen; but the 3a would come after twist and solo jumps in the sp (as you can say by the clip); but who can do this at the end of a free skate, why not at the end of a sp?
    Yes, I did notice the throw jump is not their opening element. I wasn't thinking of endurance but rather a conservative strategy they might want to go for in the short program. On a second thought though, it only makes sense for them to include the 3A in the SP too. With V/T usually tending to get better GOEs overall on their elements, S/S will definitely need a higher base value.

    No crazy costumes, please.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,906
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2294
    Here is another TV report on Aljona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy's preparations. They got their costumes! (report in German). http://www.mdr.de/sport/sport-im-osten/video149896.html

    The designer said that Aljona had an idea about the costume and that they were on the same page from the beginning.

    So what do you think about the costumes?

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in the centre
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,516
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    753
    Oooh, shirtless Robin .
    The sp costumes seem very, hmm, tight .

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    An der Siegessäule
    Posts
    41
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Like the SP costume. Suits very good to the music. Whereas the colors of her FS dress and his sleeves do not match very well IMO.

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    27,947
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11492
    I didn't even notice the costumes; there's a shot of Robin in his underwear

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    95
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I hope she doesn't plan on tanning to match the illusion netting for the long program - that would be truly unfortunate.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,392
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I really hope they change that illusion to something lighter. It looks awful. Even if they tried to match the color of her tights would be better!

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Their free skate consumes are utterly baffling. Robin's costume has an obvious oriental theme, but why? It's supposed to be Nutcracker not Turandot. (The music is a very bad idea to begin with, in my opinion.) The colors are unwatchable.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •