Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

vCash
    I didn't see it as such doom and gloom. They ditched the 3ATh in the SP and got within striking distance, I take that as a positive. I have yet to watch the GPF performances so I don't have an opinion yet on the PCS, but the judges were not stingey with either couple with the GOE so from a technical mark perspective they seem to be on an even footing.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Seriously. S/S with one of their dullest programs ever, skating slightly tentative/slow at times, is still within 3 points or so of V/T, who are skating their best program in their career, a very fast and intricate SP with a theme carried strongly throughout, and hitting all of their elements cleanly. It's not like S/S are 10+ points behind with both teams basically clean. The LP should be interesting, since neither one of these teams has a fantastic/fabulously stellar LP, in terms of choreography and such. However, I think that the consistency factor, and at least this season the "WOW" factor, is currently on the side of V/T, who haven't had an error in a competitive program yet this year.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Yay they won!

vCash
    I bumped up their fan/appreciation thread in the Trash Can to post their GPF videos (British Eurosport):
    Short program
    Free skate
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well, that proved my point. Being consistent and having all their elements clean (especially all their jumps) is more important than having throw 3A!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, that proved my point. Being consistent and having all their elements clean (especially all their jumps) is more important than having throw 3A!
    That's true, but still, Had V\T gone clean they would have lost, even if their spins were a little tighter and the ending was spot on,
    So maybe keep that axle as an doomsday option

I'm still baffled at how people are fine with V/T having higher PCS on this, But not unexpected .

vCash
    Wow, it was lovely to see Aliona and Robin looking so strong, so connected and so in sync. There was a joyful quality about their skating in both programs at GPF that had been missing ever since the beginning of last season. It seems as if letting go of their 3-axel quest has lifted a huge weight from their shoulders freeing them to simply focus energy on doing their best w/o having to worry about attempting an inconsistent element. I think the possibility of Aliona injuring herself on valiant 3-axel efforts cemented their decision, which looks to be the best approach.

S/S lit up the ice, conjuring memories of some of their greatest performances. It's as if they made a pact to soar together joyfully over these final months of their competitive career.

ITA Eladola, 're PCS marks. Aliona especially is a much more expressive performer than Tatiana. Max and Tat are great together but their strength is in the amazing technical feats they have in their arsenal, plus the political favor they enjoy with Olympics taking place in Sochi. It would be good to see Max and Tat continue to develop their presentation skills and their chemistry while staying eligible for awhile longer.

No matter what, I hope Aliona and Robin will skate with the same kind of uplifting joy and grace at Sochi Olympics that they demonstrated in Japan.

All the pairs competitors were on fire in the sp, seemingly taking inspiration from each preceding pair.

vCash
    I so enjoy their program this year and they look "comfortable in their own skin" and I am cheering for them to win the OGM this time. It could be a close call considering how V/T are faring point-wise.

vCash
    During German Nationals, Aljona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy went to a TV studio, were interviewed and the camera was with them during the competition day. There is also a part of the documentary on the Olympic season with footage from their training and costume checks at home (ft shirtless Robin!). This part was broadcasted already earlier this season.
    You can watch the video here (in Gerrman): http://mediathek.rbb-online.de/rbb-f...entId=18657078

vCash
    Eislauffan, vielen danke!

vCash
    IceNetwork article (dated 12/16/2013) on Savchenko/ Szolkowy "closing the circle" at German Nationals with their eighth title:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/12/17/66014152

There's a quote by Savchenko indicating that their GPF win over V/T has helped them "gain confidence." And some additional fighting words by Savchenko (whether or not she's aware of Maxim Trankov's quoted comments in his recent interview):

"'In Japan we could show who is the boss, and we want to show this again in Sochi,' said Savchenko."

I notice that Aliona did not say "we're miles ahead of our competitors," but just that on the ice in Japan, "we could show who is the boss," and they want to do so again on the ice in Sochi. I hope so too! Regardless of whether or not they will stand on the top of the podium in Sochi, Aliona and Robin along with their coach Ingo Steuer, have made the sport better by being in it. (Paraphrasing Dick Button's highest praise re what makes the greatest figure skating champions so great).

The below smokin' hot pics of Robin and Aliona originally posted in the FSU German news thread (from photo shoot for a calendar) are definitely boss! I want this calendar! How can I get it?

http://www.suzanasantalab.com/images...-stuttgart.jpg
    http://costume.de/pages/projects/art...ljonrobin.html

vCash
    Just imagine them wearing the same as they are in the photos on the ice in a program ....now that would have been something

vCash
    Given how cold some rinks can be, nipple haven, eys. Not that I'm saying that would be an entirely bad thing, just distracting

I'm still really happy they skated so well at the GPF. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The below smokin' hot pics of Robin and Aliona originally posted in the FSU German news thread (from photo shoot for a calendar) are definitely boss! I want this calendar! How can I get it?

http://costume.de/pages/projects/art...ljonrobin.html
    s/s official calender for 2014 looks like that
    http://shop.baer-wear.de/PIXELEIS_KA...IN_A3_213.html

sorry to say this

i think these photos were 'just' for their promotion of their ice show after this season
    but i can understand, why you would like to have a calender out of these pictures

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    s/s official calender for 2014 looks like that
    http://shop.baer-wear.de/PIXELEIS_KA...IN_A3_213.html

sorry to say this

i think these photos were 'just' for their promotion of their ice show after this season
    but i can understand, why you would like to have a calender out of these pictures
    Oh, thanks Jeschke! I'll take the conventional calendar AND the hot pics!

Hopefully, S/S win Gold in Sochi and segue into a very hot, very satisfying skating show/ tour. Please bring your hotness to the States, your Highnesses, Aliona and Robin!

vCash
    I love their long the more I see it, I really like how they are true to the characters through the entire piece. I loved some of the other Nutcracker programs choreographically a lot more, but that's one aspect I like about theirs over just about anybody else to skate to this music. I also just love how they never give up on the top spot no matter what, I'm officially on their OGM bandwagon (And Volosozhar is my favorite ladies pairs skater of all-time). V/T can have the two medals with the team and 2018, they are far enough ahead with S/S gone, S/S I want to win it now. Wheee! Reminiscing back they have done everything, and made it work with actual thought behind it, for 10 years now! Where did the time go.

vCash
    There will be a 30 minutes documentary aired on German TV (ARD, first channel) on Sunday, Dec 29 at 18.40 (German time).
    "On the road to Sotchi"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    There will be a 30 minutes documentary aired on German TV (ARD, first channel) on Sunday, Dec 29 at 18.40 (German time).
    "On the road to Sotchi"
    thanks eislauffan
    here is the link

http://mediathek.daserste.de/sendung...datum=20131229

it's german and maybe geoblocked;

it's nothing really new and most most of the time a mixture of old reports about them (grand prix final, search for the right costume, bad fall before season start)
    there was additional a sequence of aliona visiting her family in ukraine and some interviews with her mother and father; especially like the comments of her mother, who seemed like a very down-to-earth person;
    like the 'love' express by aliona for chemnitz;
    some mentions about their last season, and some circles, which closed this season. fight for the ultimate goal, sochi might be the last competition; aliona can't think of it now, otherwise she would be in tears; robin wants to focus and think about the end firstly after sochi, too.
    he said, he was very nervous before nationals; as closer he is to his home, he gets more nervous, liked that

although the documentary seemed more like a fill spot after the ski jumping event i like, that aliona&robin finally get some attention in their final year!

vCash
    new intreview with ingo steuer in german

http://www.sport.de/medien/wintermix...es-loewen.html

try to translate it correctly.

q: after 6th place finish in torino and 3rd in vancouver you want gold in sochi. how difficult will this be?
    a:very difficult, this will be a big event.we're the hunters in the lions' den. but we know what we are doing there. it's good, when you know that you will have a difficult route; a route without difficulties isn't that good. we need these difficulties, to put them beside. (lots of metaphers )

q: what has changed compared to the previous 2 olympics?
    a:we are not the current world champions heading into sochi. we are more freeafter our 2nd place finish last year. the pressure is on v/t. during my entire career i experienced a lot, how favourites stumbled at olympics, like 4-time-worlds-champion kurt browning never reached a medal there. olympics has its own rules.

q: has changed somehting due to the success of your team at the gpf?
    a: no, but it was the right time to show before sochi, that the champions are beatable. although we were just at 75%. if they would have skated clean, they would have won. but they made mistakes, this was not expected.

q: after the geavy fall of aliona in moscow you didn't try the 3axel in the gpf; will you go for it at euros or olympics?
    a: the euros will be seen just as practice. we will work before at the transitions of the elements in the short program. if we might risk the axel, will be decided just before the competition. for sochi the axel is scheduled, this is our strategy ()

q: qhat will be the deciding thing for gold in sochi?
    a: we have to focus on ourselves. if we skate without any mistakes and land the axel at the end of the free skate, we will win, even if tanya and maxim will skate cleanly too. the russians have the better short program, but our free skate is of more high-quality. it's great that there will be this duel.

q: your team will not participate in the new team event. in other sports this team competition takes place at the end of the competitions, not so in figure skating; what di you think of this?
    a: it's great that there will be the team event, the timing of the competition is not great. it would be a shining end after the individuals. we want to focus on the individuals and give all there, where it is needed; otherwise maybe these little pieces will be missing in the individuals. addidtionally is the fact, that we absolutely have no shot on a medal there.

q: it's very doubtful that s/s will take part in the worlds following sochi. but for sure at the 1st of april you are a coach without any top pair. s/s will skate, if at least, any shows. how hard will that change be for you?
    a: i'm very emotional about the goodbye and feel some kind of melancholy. after the games, we will sit together and decide what to do. we have grown as a team - if we would work together in anyways in the futur, this would be very nice. but i aim to create something new; up to this day i rejected all requests from single skaters and from foreign countries. maybe i just need a break. 13-14 years of the highes level are exhaustive.

q: will there be any possibilty in the future, that the german fed might pay you despite your stasi-past?
    a: i hope everyday for a solution, which is good for the sport. the german fed would be pleased if there would be any way if they could pay me like any other coach.

vCash
    Thank you Jeschke,very nice interview with Ingo!

I do hope he continues working with another pair or single skater but he does deserve a rest but not for too long and also to get paid for what he does by the German fed ... I am so looking forward to what Ingo will do next! Together with Aljona and Robin would be exciting too,they have so much experience and it would be great if they can somehow use that in the future an share with other skaters.

I think he is right too about V/T having the stronger SP and S/S the stronger FP nice of him to admit that and also that he thinks it is great with the duel.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast