Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy's 2013-14 programs

Re-posting from the German news thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    New article [August 2, 2013] on Savchenko/Szolkowy: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Their SP music has been especially composed for them by André Rieu and they worked for the first time with David Wilson in Toronto. Ingo inlcuded an outside choreographer for the first time and is pleased with the work that has been done.
    It sounds really exciting, can't wait to see this program!
    The long program will be revealed at the end of August.
    Quote Originally Posted by la.louise View Post
    Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy
    SP: When Winter Comes, a music especially composed for them by Andre Rieu.
    LP: The Nutcracker
    The LP was officially revealed today [August 30] at a test skate of the German team. Article: http://www.wn.de/Welt/Sport/Wintersp...r-nach-Sotschi
    The test skate was closed to the public.
    Article (published today, Sept. 3) in English about their new programs: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/03/59401840
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ok, so the pas de deux is in. although steuer is mentioning, they are not using all the familiar sounds of the nutcracker, i think this is no surprise.

vCash
    by the way.
    great, that s/s will go for one final national championships to complete their 10yrs cicle which exactly began in berlin.

hope this 3 will enjoy their final season and get what they deserve.

vCash
    SP: When Winter Comes, a music especially composed for them by Andre Rieu. .
    Is it sure that Rieu composed and not arranged "WHEN WINTER COMES"?

When Winter Comes is an old piece and many play it in their own arrangements..... Plus Rieu is not really a composer..... no time for composing, too many women chasing him.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP8maKtZ-Lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHBeMA0ooI

I am just asking, it's one of my favorite music pieces....

vCash
    I can't think of any other 'modern era' skater/team in any discipline who has pushed the boundaries as much and who has shown so much difficulty in their programs as well as making them memorable and original (although there were some bad apples in there as well - last season's SP for example).

I think that the fate is pretty much sealed now and V/T are a lock for Olympic gold barring unexpected disasters. The judges love V/T and S/S get no point advantage for clearly superior programs. To be fair to V/T, they are also a much more consistent team so the odds are definitely in their favour. If S/S do end their career without an olympic gold medal, I will be extremely sad but well that's life. S/S probably would have been much more consistent if they watered down their programs but it's their difficulty that has made them so unique and memorable.

(It's also a huge shame that Steuer has turned out to be such a despicable individual, given the quality of his work. Although it's interesting how he was never able to achieve success with any other team.)

YEAH!
    vCash
    I hope he meant they are using the pas de deux among other pieces. The triple axel at the end is awesome, but wouldn't it be smarter to do it at the beginning of the second half? The bonus is the same, and you know the judges aren't going to give anything extra in the PCS for that. Although I guess as Ziggy said, that's why they are innovators.

I'm really looking forward to the "risky new lifts" and new step sequence. I have always wanted to see Aljona as a ballerina so I'm glad this dream will finally come true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I think that the fate is pretty much sealed now and V/T are a lock for Olympic gold barring unexpected disasters. The judges love V/T and S/S get no point advantage for clearly superior programs. To be fair to V/T, they are also a much more consistent team so the odds are definitely in their favour.
    Well, I wouldn't say that Volosozhar/Trankov are so much more consistent. They made lots of errors in the GP last season, and only at Worlds they were superb. Also last season they weren't so consistent (remember that freak fall on the death spiral at Worlds in Nice?).

It will be very difficult for Savchenko/Szolkowy to beat them, but IMHO this is mostly due to the fact that Volosozhar/Trankov are Russia's only realistic chance for a figure skating gold medal in Sochi and the Russians are throwing everything they have behind them. That's why the "judges love V/T". Don't get me wrong, I love both teams and think they are both great, but it annoys me that there is a difference in what kind of "politics" they have behind them. The Germans have next to nothing as their Federation is weak.

vCash
    The Nutcracker? Really? From this team? Boy, seems oxymoronic to me. But I am happy to be surprised.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    ^^ Well, I really was hoping to see Aliona and Robin skate a long program to modern-themed Othello music, but maybe that was too neat and cliche of an idea. They are nothing if not nutcrackers to conventional expectations.

Well, I wouldn't say that Volosozhar/Trankov are so much more consistent. They made lots of errors in the GP last season, and only at Worlds they were superb. Also last season they weren't so consistent (remember that freak fall on the death spiral at Worlds in Nice?).

It will be very difficult for Savchenko/Szolkowy to beat them, but IMHO this is mostly due to the fact that Volosozhar/Trankov are Russia's only realistic chance for a figure skating gold medal in Sochi and the Russians are throwing everything they have behind them. That's why the "judges love V/T". Don't get me wrong, I love both teams and think they are both great, but it annoys me that there is a difference in what kind of "politics" they have behind them. The Germans have next to nothing as their Federation is weak.
    ITA with your points, Eislauffan. Very well expressed.

vCash
    I think that the fate is pretty much sealed now and V/T are a lock for Olympic gold barring unexpected disasters.
    Unexpected disasters is also a signature for this team, remember the last Olympics? The pressure will be a million times greater, not only an Olympics IN RUSSIA but they are already slated as the OGM favorites. With all things being equal, I think clean programs from both of them will give S/S the edge esp with the 3A throw. It just doesn’t sound like V/T will have anything groundbreaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Is it sure that Rieu composed and not arranged "WHEN WINTER COMES"?

When Winter Comes is an old piece and many play it in their own arrangements..... Plus Rieu is not really a composer..... no time for composing, too many women chasing him.....
    You are absolutely right. The skaters probably meant Andre Rieu arranged it for them. It is definitely Chris de Burgh's piece. :-)
    I really love it and think this can be a stunning program.

vCash
    I'm really excited to see these two programmes. It sounds like they've been saving the classical LP for this Olympic season. The only concern I have is with the intention of putting the throw triple axel in both programmes - have they actually managed to land it clean in competition yet? I don't think they landed the SP attempts they put out on the GP the season before last, and I can't recall the number of times they've tried it in the LP, the only time I can think of is the last worlds where it was not clean. I can't help but worry about an element they don't seem to land in competition, but i guess they too feel that V&T are going into this season as favourites with a likely home crowd boost for the Olympics.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Unexpected disasters is also a signature for this team, remember the last Olympics?
    Volosozhar/Trankov didn't compete as a team at the last Olympics.

For the truly innovative programmes that they Savchenko/Szolkowy have provided us throughout their career, I'd really love for them to win gold in Sochi. Probably not going to happen unless something disastrous happens to Volosozhar/Trankov who are also a great team. Shame about their programmes though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    For the Nutcracker I would love to see them use A Pine Forest in Winter (well that's what it's called here but I've seen it go by different things):
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qdS4snu...%3DqdS4snu2SRQ

vCash

(It's also a huge shame that Steuer has turned out to be such a despicable individual, given the quality of his work. Although it's interesting how he was never able to achieve success with any other team.)
    a despicable individual ....Really do you know him ? I have found him a very engaged coach and choreographer who loves his sport. Talking to him is very imspiring. I also must say that I am glad he asked Tanya what kind of music she and Maxim had chosen for their FP so now we have the 2 top pairs with totally different music style which I think is great

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    The only concern I have is with the intention of putting the throw triple axel in both programmes - have they actually managed to land it clean in competition yet? I don't think they landed the SP attempts they put out on the GP the season before last, and I can't recall the number of times they've tried it in the LP, the only time I can think of is the last worlds where it was not clean. I can't help but worry about an element they don't seem to land in competition, but i guess they too feel that V&T are going into this season as favourites with a likely home crowd boost for the Olympics.
    They have attempted the throw triple Axel only once in the LP- in London this year at Worlds. It wasn't perfect, landed deeply in the knee but I think she landed on one foot (might have touched down with her hand though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2PZaUtsu-A
    In the SP at Worlds 2012 in Nice, she two-footed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNXcGMwl64

She missed it twice in their GP events in fall 2011, then they switched back to the throw triple flip for their third GP and the GP Final. They didn't compete at Europeans 2012. They didn't attempt it at SC 2012, then they missed TEB and the GPF in 2012. They also didn't go for it at NRW Trophy 2012 and Europeans 2013.

So, if I counted then correctly, they attempted it altogether four times in competition: SA 2011 SP, NHK 2011 SP, Worlds 2012 SP, Worlds 2013 LP. She fell twice, she landed it twice but not completely clean. They have landed clean ones in practice that I've seen. To me it looks like they should be able to get out clean ones in competition this season. I'm sure they'll include it really only into the program if they land it consistently in practice. Last season they only tried it at the end because of Aliona's illness last fall that cost them a lot of training time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lis View Post
    a despicable individual ....Really do you know him ? I have found him a very engaged coach and choreographer who loves his sport. Talking to him is very imspiring. I also must say that I am glad he asked Tanya what kind of music she and Maxim had chosen for their FP so now we have the 2 top pairs with totally different music style which I think is great
    Thank you Lis, I completely agree with you. Ingo Steuer might have made mistakes in the past and he is not an easy character, but he is by no means a "despicable individual". I have known him for many years, as a competitor and as a coach. He also does charity work that people don't know about.

vCash
    They have attempted the throw triple Axel only once in the LP- in London this year at Worlds. It wasn't perfect, landed deeply in the knee but I think she landed on one foot (might have touched down with her hand though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2PZaUtsu-A
    In the SP at Worlds 2012 in Nice, she two-footed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNXcGMwl64

She missed it twice in their GP events in fall 2011, then they switched back to the throw triple flip for their third GP and the GP Final. They didn't compete at Europeans 2012. They didn't attempt it at SC 2012, then they missed TEB and the GPF in 2012. They also didn't go for it at NRW Trophy 2012 and Europeans 2013.

So, if I counted then correctly, they attempted it altogether four times in competition: SA 2011 SP, NHK 2011 SP, Worlds 2012 SP, Worlds 2013 LP. She fell twice, she landed it twice but not completely clean. They have landed clean ones in practice that I've seen. To me it looks like they should be able to get out clean ones in competition this season. I'm sure they'll include it really only into the program if they land it consistently in practice. Last season they only tried it at the end because of Aliona's illness last fall that cost them a lot of training time.
    Thanks for the information Eislauffen - much appreciated. I'm hoping that they start to land it clean in competition. No doubt with the height and length they're getting it would receive +GOE as well.

vCash
    Thank you Lis, I completely agree with you. Ingo Steuer might have made mistakes in the past and he is not an easy character, but he is by no means a "despicable individual". I have known him for many years, as a competitor and as a coach. He also does charity work that people don't know about.
    ^Thank you!!!
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahashi Road to Sochi

vCash
    I can't think of any other 'modern era' skater/team in any discipline who has pushed the boundaries as much and who has shown so much difficulty in their programs as well as making them memorable and original (although there were some bad apples in there as well - last season's SP for example).
    THIS a thousand times.

I really wish they would receive credit for the dfficulty in their transitions as they make everything in the program that much more difficult. And i love the creativity they show in the types of movement employed in their programs. They are some of the all-time greats of the sport.

Cherub, i too am looking forward to seeing Aliona take on ballet in a program.

And thank you so much for all the info, Eislauffan!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast