Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

DWTS Season 18 -- Dancing to the bitter end

Since the other thread has closed (and I didn't see a new one), here's my two cents worth (reported from the Davis/White thread):

Last night's show had me alternately and . What upset me the most was that both Candace and James were safe and Charlie was eliminated. They both must have very, very large and loyal fan bases whose votes have kept them on longer than their dancing merited. I've been wishing James would leave for more than three weeks now ... and if he outlasts Meryl next Monday night, I will be ready to . I just don't understand his appeal at all (although his dancing was a bit better last night than in previous weeks).

I'm hoping that the combined votes of Meryl/Maks fans + a good portion of the Charlie/Sharna and Danica/Val fans are enough to keep Meryl in to the very end. I firmly believe that her footwear the past two weeks has been in good part because of her toe injuries. I actually really liked the boots with her long ruffly skirt for the western Viennese waltz.

Maks posted this on his instagram. http://instagram.com/p/n7MbG_yQHC/
    I especially love this part of what Maks wrote:
    I want to thank @meryledavis for embracing my insanity
    So do we all, Maks, so do we all.

ETA; It was bad enough that Charlie was eliminated last night, but to have not even shown his highlight reel or really given him time to say his goodbye and thank yous was a really shabby treatment.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash

DWTS Season 18: DWTS means Dancing With Tables, Silly!

We need a new thread.

But I am so sad to see Charlie voted off. I don't think we value the ability to express joy and happiness in dance enough. Dance isn't just for lust, it's jumping for joy, too. Charlie excels at joy!

vCash
    Dance isn't just for lust, it's jumping for joy, too.
    I'd like to see this recognized in ice dance too. Maybe sibling partners would have some better luck with the judges.

I'll miss Charlie on this show, though my votes have been going to Meryl. I still think as much as Charlie, Danica was robbed.

vCash
    What upset me the most was that both Candace and James were safe
    For all we know, they were also in the bottom. The show just doesn't tell you that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    For all we know, they were also in the bottom. The show just doesn't tell you that.
    Yes, I know that, but while they may have been in the bottom group, they clearly weren't THE bottom, so their totals were both above Charlie's.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I don't think we value the ability to express joy and happiness in dance enough. Dance isn't just for lust, it's jumping for joy, too. Charlie excels at joy!
    Hear, hear!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I don't care that Charlie's been eliminated, it's all the better for Meryl IMO.
    Now we have to fight Amy and her stooooopid partner. What will he invent next week? I mean I should give her a break, but since I do NOT like Derek, I just can't.

Please let Maks win it this time pleaaaaaase !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    I've actually enjoyed Amy's and James' dancing out of the four that are left 9(I've seen growth in both of them, more so than who are still left) and as much as it pains me to say it, I'm rooting for Derek Yeah, there, I said it. Please don't take out the brush to tar me with it just because I'm pulling for an Amy/Derek win.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Yes, I know that, but while they may have been in the bottom group, they clearly weren't THE bottom, so their totals were both above Charlie's.
    Oh right, I was reading it as being annoyed they were safe vs. in jeopardy; not safe vs. eliminated.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I would have enjoyed it if Tanith came out of the audience to dance the Elvis number. Although I prefer Elvis-Ben to Elvis-Maks.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I've actually enjoyed Amy's and James' dancing out of the four that are left 9(I've seen growth in both of them, more so than who are still left) and as much as it pains me to say it, I'm rooting for Derek Yeah, there, I said it. Please don't take out the brush to tar me with it just because I'm pulling for an Amy/Derek win.
    A chacun son goût.

vCash
    I do enjoy Amy and I do think she's a good dancer, but I think she has been overscored for many of her dances. Though you could probably say that really, everyone has been overscored this season. I don't typically watch DWTS but I was surprised by how high the scores were right off the bat in Week 1 - it really makes it hard to grasp any level of improvement.

The only reason I could give for not wanting Amy to win (besides wanting Meryl to win) is that this would be Derek's third win in a row (I think?). And I don't think his choreography is always amazing; he's certainly very good, but the constant tongue baths from the judges leave me more often than not. I hated the Jazz routine he made for Nene, and the judges all loved it. The jive and quickstep with Amy were both wonderful, but those were the two dances that Amy had the most movement in. Every other dance, Derek has basically carried her or just didn't give Amy a lot to do. To bring in a figure skating term that gets thrown around, it's smoke and mirrors.

James really isn't dancing all that much; there have been times when I was like whoa, he's actually pretty good, but then in another performance I suddenly didn't get him again. I think he should have gone home last night.

Candace actually really is what this show is supposed to be all about, and she has improved I think. She gets into her own head too much and needs to work on the facial expressions, but she's definitely had a journey since the start of the show. She also hasn't talked about her faith as much as I was expecting her to; I mean you definitely don't forgot that she's going for the wholesome image, but I thought she'd be talking about her beliefs more than she has (though last night was a bit for me).

Meryl's growth on the show has been more about the emotional depth of the performances and just seeing that she is capable of more than what Marina gave her to work with (that goes for Charlie, as well). That's what I've been enjoying most about them being on DWTS.

vCash
    According to Carrie Ann, the finalists will redo their dances they did during the switch week, so Meryl and Maks will get to dance an Argentine Tango!

I really have nothing against Amy, but it's becoming harder and harder to ignore that the judges do treat her differently. No one else could get away with dancing in such small areas of space or sitting on a stool or a table for so long without doing any actual dancing.

vCash
    Mods, any way these threads cd be merged with this title? I dont really get Dancing to the Bitter End, personally. Whatever happens I dont see Meryl or Chatlie being anything but upbeat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Mods, any way these threads cd be merged with this title? I dont really get Dancing to the Bitter End, personally. Whatever happens I dont see Meryl or Chatlie being anything but upbeat.
    I just meant "bitter end" as in staying to the end of a long and sometimes difficult enterprise -- I usually use in when I'm speaking about staying to the very end of a movie, even if it's not one that I'm enjoying over much. That's what some of this season has been like for me (especially ALM's stint as guest judge). Anyway, I'm fine with the mods changing the title -- DWTS Season 18: Dancing Until the Better End? Or just merging it with this one, although I think this title is a bit of a dig at Amy & Derek's dances.

vCash
    Well, the "Bitter End" is the end of your rope, literally. The expression is from nautical terminology.

The bitter end is the part of the rope that passes through the bitt. The other end would be secured to the ship/boat.

The bitt
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/intern...os/7170684074/

The bitter end of a rope
    http://www.echocamp.org/staff/mainte...t/truck/P3.jpg

I hope the mods will merge the threads; I don't care which title is used.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    although I think this title is a bit of a dig at Amy & Derek's dances.
    I think that's why I like it.

vCash
    Charlie deserves a non-existent trophy for being such an outstandingly great sport and marvelous human being through this DWTS process. He was robbed, but he did not miss a beat last night, in spite of even not being allowed to do his send off routine (WTF, did they run out of time?), he piped in with the right words and was fabulous on GMA this morning. Proud of him. He repped the skating community well.

Hate the way this show is judged. Charlie should still be there.

And Meryl is the best dancer left, but she might not win.

Probably going to recede back next year to watching The Voice instead, if they are on again at the same time, now that's a show
    Last edited by Lacey; 05-14-2014 at 01:41 AM.

vCash
    Can someone please explain the format for the remaining two days? In particular:

- Do they have two dances next week? Is one dance the Free Style?
    - Does the audience vote next week?
    - What happens on Tuesday, do they dance again? I am assuming if they dance there will be no audience votes since East Coast is Live and West Coast is a rerun.
    - How do they chose the winner if not by audience votes?

Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    Can someone please explain the format for the remaining two days? In particular:

- Do they have two dances next week? Is one dance the Free Style?
    - Does the audience vote next week?
    - What happens on Tuesday, do they dance again? I am assuming if they dance there will be no audience votes since East Coast is Live and West Coast is a rerun.
    - How do they chose the winner if not by audience votes?

Thanks!
    Monday:
    Two dances, one couple eliminated based on dancing last week & audience votes, audience votes for the final time

Tuesday:
    EITHER: Two dances, one couple eliminated, fluff & stuff, winner crowned. OR (most likely): One dance, one couple eliminated based on scores from Monday + audience votes + scores from Dance 1, second dance, fluff & stuff, winner crowned after adding the final judges scores.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast