vCash

All things Calgary!

So, being slightly bored on a Sunday afternoon, I wanted to start a thread on one of my favorite cities close to home for me. The home of the 1988 Winter Olympic Games, Calgary, Alberta! I wanted to see about those who live there, have visited there, what are your favorite things about it? Your not so favorite things about it? I grew up near there but I've lived in Edmonton for almost 20 years now and I hope to relocate in the next year or two. I plan on heading back for the Easter long weekend and hitting up the Calgary Zoo and Canada Olympic Park, and maybe Prince's Island Park. I got the Palliser Hotel for relatively inexpensive by Fairmont standards so I'm going to be a tourist again and become re-acquainted with the city. The festivals, the culture, the restaurants and the proximity to the mountains make this one of my favorite cities out there. To me, the shopping as compared to Edmonton isn't even close. Calgary will win 99 times out of 100 even if we do have West Edmonton Mall, the quality in Calgary is much superior to that of Edmonton.

So to those who have been, what are your favorite parts of the city to explore? Favorite things to do? Favorite places to eat out? Festivals? Parks? Shopping? Let's make this the place to discuss it all.
    Kyle

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Love the zoo, hate trying to park at Chinook Centre, think the Stoney Trail ring-road is a wonderful alternative to 16th Avenue or to Deerfoot, Peter's Drive-in has THE best milkshakes...I really do like Calgary. Everytime we go there it's like going home, even though I only actually lived there for 6 years while going to university.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I haven't been to the Zoo since the flooding. I know they had to move and get rid of quite a few animals because there was so much damage. It really is quite sad because it really was a spectacular facility. I'm still going to go check it out when I go back for Easter, because it's been a while since I've been there, so I'm looking forward to getting re-acquainted with it.

As for Chinook, oh you are SO right about that! Trying to find parking on Boxing Day no less too! Luckily the people I was with we were in a ginormous truck so we may have made our own parking spot...

Peter's back in the early and mid 90's was THE spot to go. The milkshakes are still awesome but to me the burgers and fries aren't nearly as good as they used to be. It seems like after the original owner passed on the business to his son the quality went downhill.

I know exactly what you're saying to that effect, when I was back during Boxing Day, all I could think to myself was "Why on earth don't I live here?". I'm going to see about a transfer in the spring of next year for work, I hope it'll be possible, but I'm not sure. I hope I can find an opening in the same company that will allow me to transfer.

Hoping to check out Canada's Sports Hall of Fame too! Looking forward to seeing what that's about.
    Kyle

vCash
    I grew up there early 90's, many wonderful memories. I went to Cappy Smart Elementary.

vCash
    The Olympic Oval!

You can rent speed skates to try it out. There's nothing like skating on the big ice. There are also the other Olympic sites, like the bobsled track and the ski-jumps. There is also an Olympic museum, if I recall correctly.

A friend of mine used to live in Calgary, so I visited a few times, although I haven't been in about fifteen years.

Around Calgary, Canadian Rockies are beautiful. The town of Canmore is nice, and there's Banff and Jasper national Parks. We also went to the Columbia Ice Field- which is really cool, as it's a three-way continental divide: the headwaters of rivers that flow to the Atlantic, Pacific, and Arctic Oceans.

vCash
    I haven't been to Canada Olympic Park in about a decade probably or longer, I can't remember the last time I was there so I'm looking forward to checking it out and seeing the new updates.

I know they've got the brand new Canadian Sports Hall of Fame, the Ice House, etc there so I'm looking forward to checking all that out. If I tried speed skating I would likely fall on my face and not get very far!

Spruce Meadows in the summer is always a great time along with the stampede and other events too.

My favorite city by far, I'm looking forward to relocating in a couple years for sure.
    Kyle

vCash
    I have such fond memories, home sweet home town. I left just over 10 years ago and of course there's been immense change and growth. So the Calgary I love is an older version, but nonetheless; fav Calgary memories include the Playhouse Theatre, and Shakespeare in the Park, Eau Claire Market, 17th ave (just before it boomed into whatever it is now). I agree with the shout out for Peter's milkshakes, ugh heavy nostalgia...a steamy car of hungry captive teenagers sitting in the drive thru lot gorging on greasy goodness during our frequent midnight Peter's runs. Stampede time! The bike trails. Kensington. The foothills. Callaway Park. Chinatown...the dessert houses and bubbletea joints. It was a fantastic city to grow up in.

vCash
    My DH ran the Calgary marathon about 10 years ago and we went to the Stampede.

We are flying into Calgary in July as my cousin is getting married in Banff and DS is the ringbearer.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    I grew up about an hour north and east of Calgary sort of near Drumheller, and as a kid I'd always get excited because we were going into the big city and seeing what was there. There is so much good in Calgary, the C-Train system runs like a dream, the parks and trails, the open air festivals, the mountains being such close proximity. I can't wait to re-locate. It really truly is home to me.
    Kyle

vCash
    One of Calgary's often overlooked but great attractions is Spruce Meadows. It is located just 10 minutes or so south/west of Calgary and is one of the premier equestrian facilities in the world. It is open every day - 365 days a year and families are always welcome. You can check on their web site for the dates of the horse shows - but they go for about 6 weeks straight in June/July. The facilities are beautiful, state of the art, and you get to watch many of the top horse/rider teams in the world compete. Many of the events have no charge at all - some of the big shows they charge a small amount because they have to pay the parking attendants. They do have indoor winter/spring/fall shows that are also free of charge. Their big event is the Masters - held around the second week in Sept. It is an all out extravaganza with amazing events, the Friday night "Evening of the Horse" with the "6 bar" competition, amazing fireworks to music, tons of things to see for anyone who enjoys horses, and the Sunday show is for a prize of $1.5 million dollars. Maybe you can tell - I am a fan!
    pug lover

vCash
    Sorry - I just noticed you mentioned Spruce Meadows, Kyle.
    pug lover

vCash
    Spruce Meadows is always something I've wanted to do but just never got around to doing. I always remember watching Ian Miller and Big Ben growing up. That was my favorite memory growing up! The big competitions are always the best. My favorites are The Masters and the Nations Cup especially. it's a beautiful facility.
    Kyle