Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

vCash
    Skate Canada has started rolling out a "My Canadians" series featuring national team members discussing their favorite Nationals experiences and goals for the year. Two for dance so far:

Orford/Williams
    Paul/Islam

vCash
    I think it's wonderful how much Tessa and Scott have spurred on the younger skaters, a d ignited a fire in Canadian Ice Dance. Kudos to them

vCash
    I have all my fingers and toes crossed for Paul and Islam to make it to Sochi too, hoping they can have 2 amazing and very strong performances at nationals to propel them there. While I do like G&P FD, I much prefer P&I overall this season since they have a great SD as well as a fine FD, and they have improved so much this past year in Detroit, they certainly have the "it" factor; IMO, they are the team with most potential for the next cycle, so I really want them to make it to Sochi for the Olympic experience, Poirier already had Vancouver OLY with Crone, also I can't forget how G & P messed up/fell at last year's worlds, so yeah, a 4th place G&P can likely still go to worlds, along with P&I, since V&M will likely retire after Sochi, so SC can also let the INT judges have a say in who they feel is the better team at this point, since politically most everything will be reset for the new OLY cycle at 2014 worlds in Japan, as many dance teams will likely be retiring right after Worlds, or will have already skated for the last time in Sochi thus clearing the way for new young teams to make their mark...

vCash
    Considering that Paul's foot had to be somewhat reconstructed I think he has come a long way in a short time.
    This match up at Nationals will be one to watch!

vCash
    Paul wasn't injured during their performances at 2013 Worlds.

vCash
    Weaver/Poje; Gilles/Poirier; and Mitchell/Islam are all great fun to watch, coming up as the heirs to the greatness of Virtue/Moir. Wow, it seems Canada is loaded in ice dance and pairs disciplines. And of course with Patrick Chan in his final season, Canada is a big threat to win Olympic Gold in the team event.

I was looking at vids of M/I and of G/P's wonderfully different FD this season to Hitchcock. IMO, even tho' many see Gilles as having some drawbacks with her blades/edges, I feel from looking at what these two teams are doing this season, that G/P is clearly more at this point entertaining, sophisticated and mature. That's not a put-down on M/I -- they just need to find more intriguing music and interpretative concept to stand out, and to develop their expressiveness together on the ice. I don't think M/I's programs this season are as impactful as I've seen from them previously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHMDIFL1so G/P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8QNHrgrM8 M/I

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I was looking at vids of M/I and of G/P's wonderfully different FD this season to Hitchcock. IMO, even tho' many see Gilles as having some drawbacks with her blades/edges, I feel from looking at what these two teams are doing this season, that G/P is clearly more at this point entertaining, sophisticated and mature. That's not a put-down on M/I -- they just need to find more intriguing music and interpretative concept to stand out, and to develop their expressiveness together on the ice. I don't think M/I's programs this season are as impactful as I've seen from them previously.
    I've been a lurker for a very long time, but I really wanted to respond to this, so I hope it's not rude to just jump right in The team is actually P/I not M/I (Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam).

JMO, I find G/P's FD concept unique, but not executed in a way that is sophisticated or mature at all. It's overdramatic and gimmick-heavy, the relationship portrayed has been one-dimensional so far despite its originality. P/I's FD relies on their connection when skating, how they can create a subtle change of mood by the way they respond to one another, how they reconnect seamlessly after being apart. They find the nuances of their music, and have a presence of the ice that is grownup, if understated. Entertainment value, on the other hand - I can see how that comes down to a preference for a particular style. I tend to prefer more subtle and abstract dynamics on the ice than an in-your-face storyline. Considering the type of praise that G/P’s FD has received, you’d think that their FD is the abstract one, but it’s told through a lot of gesturing and comes across as obvious to me. P/I’s choreography has much more detail, which may not be obvious at first glance – it’s especially in things like changes of hold, and because of that type of organic movement, it portrays a more complex relationship to me than G/P’s does.

And all of this is somewhat beside the point when it comes to competitions because the issue of blades and edges IS the main criteria. (I realize scoring may not have been your point aftershocks, if you were talking only about your own preferences). Performance and Choreography are a relatively small percentage of how the score is determined. If Piper’s skating is problematic and P/I’s is not, that should be a disadvantage going into Nationals that would be hard to make up for even if G/P’s FD was indeed artistically superior. P/I have had trouble in the past putting two technically strong performances into one competition, but their skating skills as a team are considerably stronger and they are more than capable of outskating G/P next week barring any major bobbles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canadablue View Post
    P/I have had trouble in the past putting two technically strong performances into one competition, but their skating skills as a team are considerably stronger and they are more than capable of outskating G/P next week barring any major bobbles.
    I agree. Among Canadian teams, P/I's basic skating is second only to V/M. While Piper has certainly made some improvements, there's still a large gap in skating skills that the national judges have mostly ignored, probably because of G/P's speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Weaver/Poje; Gilles/Poirier; and Mitchell/Islam are all great fun to watch, coming up as the heirs to the greatness of Virtue/Moir. Wow, it seems Canada is loaded in ice dance and pairs disciplines. And of course with Patrick Chan in his final season, Canada is a big threat to win Olympic Gold in the team event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHMDIFL1so G/P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8QNHrgrM8 M/I

First of all, I also admire that G/P are trying to be innovative and are playing to their strengths (ie. personality, pizazz, unique tricks, etc.) They do not capture romance, passion and connection the way V/M, W/P, P/I can do. I don't think its in them. But they are fun, dramatic, and entertaining, which makes what they do unique.

But this is not what decides ice dance. Personal or audience style or music preferences do not, or should not, matter to the end score. It's about executing synchronized twizzles, a bunch of lifts, quality step sequences, and quality spins. It's about variety of holds, depth of edges, matching lines, etc. PCS components like skating skills don't mention at all style of music or the audience reaction. Even choreography and interpretation PCS components don't favour 1 style or music choice over another. Scoring is about the quality of movement and skills through the elements, and weaving those through quality choreography and interpretation that matches the particular style and music chosen by the team.

In the case of G/P, too often judges have been mesmerized by the entertainment value, and forgotten about the criteria, at least in Canada. It's the only explanation why they were as close to V/M as they were last year at Canadians. It was insulting. At Worlds, the judges were not so confused. I'm hoping this year we will see some fair, consistent and clear judging, regardless of music choice and style, regardless of who the team is at Canadians and Worlds. I'd like to see judging that applies all the criteria of PCS, and not just some popular favourite (ie. speed, speed, speed...).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debrah View Post
    While I do like G&P FD, I much prefer P&I overall this season since they have a great SD as well as a fine FD, and they have improved so much this past year in Detroit, they certainly have the "it" factor; IMO, they are the team with most potential for the next cycle, so I really want them to make it to Sochi for the Olympic experience, Poirier already had Vancouver OLY with Crone, also I can't forget how G & P messed up/fell at last year's worlds, so yeah, a 4th place G&P can likely still go to worlds, along with P&I, since V&M will likely retire after Sochi, so SC can also let the INT judges have a say in who they feel is the better team at this point, since politically most everything will be reset for the new OLY cycle at 2014 worlds in Japan, as many dance teams will likely be retiring right after Worlds, or will have already skated for the last time in Sochi thus clearing the way for new young teams to make their mark...
    Wow! 184 words in one sentence!

vCash
    Wow, counting words

vCash
    canadablue and NorthernDancers have pretty much said it all for me..

While I freely admit to preferring P/I's style , you can see Piper has worked hard trying to catch up...but she's not there yet..and while I like GP's FD, and it seems to be a bit less "dashing madly from one highlight to the next" than their past two , something of that aura still lingers about this program.

P/I have much more subtlety , beautiful lines and posture, lovely edges and seem to have progressed in speed, projecting while keeping it natural, and in confidence.

vCash
    ^ This. I think they are wonderful, and hope the judging is fair.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I hope too,that P/I will at least have the chance to get that 3rd spot and that the Canadian judges haven't already decided that it will go to G/P.
    What I like about P/I this year is how determined they are. In interviews they make clear that their goal is to get into the Olympic team and for me it's the first time that I can see their determination on the ice. The FD at Skate Canada was just fabulous.

IMO, the 3rd spot is between P/I and G/P. No other team came close to their points, at least not in the international assignments. The question will be, which style the judges prefer, since they couldn't be anymore different.

vCash
    Two different programs. I enjoy G&P's program very much as it is dramatic and very unique and filled with unique moves. But I also agree with NDancers that P&I's program emphasize lines and edges more.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I love GP FD. Thats why i wish to see it at OG and WCh.
    As for PI. Dont care about there programs and dont like that they try to be VM clons, but didnt have there chemistry and dance ability. Plus i think they need to be more creative and try to work with outside choreograher.
    But of couse Alexandra lines is die for. But Paul lines look amazing too. PI need a little more personality.
    Good luck to both teams at Nationals.

vCash
    As for PI. Dont care about there programs and dont like that they try to be VM clons, but didnt have there chemistry and dance ability. Plus i think they need to be more creative and try to work with outside choreograher.
    You mean like the four outside choreographers they worked with while still in Barrie (Dubreuil/Lauzon, Romain Haguenauer, and David Wilson, as well as Jeff Buttle for their "In Your Eyes" exhibition)? They've arguably had more diversity in that respect than V/M have.

P/I and G/P do indeed prefer and utilize different performance styles, but that's certainly not the only difference between the teams, nor should the judges adopt that perspective. G/P have made improvements this year and I give them credit there -- there's more effort to use hold, skate in and out of elements, and Piper's edgework has become slightly more stable. But they're not at P/I's skating level, as P/I have also improved tremendously over the course of their time at DSC, and their ability to skate interdependently, maintaining good edges and drawing momentum from the blades up, is what should separate the teams, and that's no value judgment. Speed is also not quite in G/P's favor this season; with a greater effort to skate more than pose, they've also lost some steam, while P/I are capable at this point of covering a lot of ice in quick order.

Judges will surely have their style preferences, but any judge who uses style to guide a decision over and against what's laid out in the rulebook is judging quite improperly.

vCash
    I couldnt find Weaver-Pojethread, so
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/cou...aver-and-poje/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    You mean like the four outside choreographers they worked with while still in Barrie (Dubreuil/Lauzon, Romain Haguenauer, and David Wilson, as well as Jeff Buttle for their "In Your Eyes" exhibition)? They've arguably had more diversity in that respect than V/M have.

P/I and G/P do indeed prefer and utilize different performance styles, but that's certainly not the only difference between the teams, nor should the judges adopt that perspective. G/P have made improvements this year and I give them credit there -- there's more effort to use hold, skate in and out of elements, and Piper's edgework has become slightly more stable. But they're not at P/I's skating level, as P/I have also improved tremendously over the course of their time at DSC, and their ability to skate interdependently, maintaining good edges and drawing momentum from the blades up, is what should separate the teams, and that's no value judgment. Speed is also not quite in G/P's favor this season; with a greater effort to skate more than pose, they've also lost some steam, while P/I are capable at this point of covering a lot of ice in quick order.

Judges will surely have their style preferences, but any judge who uses style to guide a decision over and against what's laid out in the rulebook is judging quite improperly.
    Well said. G/P have a lot to admire & I like the uniqueness of their program but am hoping P/I skate clean since in my eyes, they are the superior team - subtle, with gorgeous lines and skating skills. She's so lyrical. Can't wait for the Nationals; wish I could be there in person.

vCash
    My husband and I were discussing the Olympic team selection and I had to admit my heart always breaks for the dance and pairs teams that don't get to go. It has been so close in the past - please, please let the judging be accurate and fair. At least, this time, W&P are secure as #2. I have my preference, but really hope they all skate great, no unexpected slips, and they can all hold their heads up having fought a good fight.
    pug lover

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast