Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I read on another forum that a friend of Piper Gilles posted on her facebook page a congratulations for her upcoming Swearing In ceremony. It was quickly taken down. I would expect that means she is receiving her citizenship and wants to keep it quiet. How did she wrangle that one? Exceptional service to a country??

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    The favortism shown in the judging of this couple at Canadians has been hard to stomach for the past few years. I am tempted to go to Ottawa just to watch the circus first hand. I cant wait to see who is going to be on the panel, the story will be told at that time. I think it may be a good year to use your ISU level judges SC. Even V/M dont get the same consideration and PCS boosts that G/P have received in the past.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marn View Post
    I read on another forum that a friend of Piper Gilles posted on her facebook page a congratulations for her upcoming Swearing In ceremony. It was quickly taken down. I would expect that means she is receiving her citizenship and wants to keep it quiet. How did she wrangle that one? Exceptional service to a country??
    Through the same provision under which Kaitlyn Weaver got hers in 2009.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    This year they have a wonderful innovative FS. This was marked very well in competition. I did love PI as well and may the best dancers win.

vCash
    PI and GP are delightful in different ways. I agree with Emdee that GP's free skate is breathtaking. My hope is that one goes to the Oly's and the other to Worlds, and both do well.

vCash
    While I like GP's choreography, I cannot say the same about certain parts of its execution. I really hope to see fair judging at Nats, because this is not the third best Canadian team, even if Poirier is a very musical skater. I hope everyone contending for the third spot skates clean and that they are all judged fairly.

vCash
    I think GP have the one advantage PI look like they don't have and the judges seem to like... they appear to skate really fast. IMO speed seems to be the major skill in ice dance these days. And it doesn't seem to matter whether the speed actually exists, as long as it looks like it does

vCash
    The overall quality of PI skating is excellent and they draw you into their programs. They often make mistakes.
    Paul is also making a few mistakes these days. Gilles has much improved especially in the time Poirier was off due to injury. With two months to nationals between their last performance and Nats we will have to see how they are on the day.

Fair judging is all one wants.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I have seen both these teams this year compete their FD's live. Oddly enough the speed issue is reversed this year. P/I were flying through their FD and G/P were sluggish. G/P's music and choreo was so interesting to watch They dont have quite as many open hold cross cuts this year and therefore they dont have the opportunity to pick up speed. In the past their programms have been light on transitions and heavy on crosscuts thereby appearing faster than others that are actually executing blade skills between their elements. A tactic unfortunately that many Senior dance teams have been resorting to. I am sure some of the slowness was also due to Poirier taking time to get back into form. Choreo is just a small part of what I look for in a team though and honestly that is more of a testament to their choreographer than to the skaters. I need to see the ability of a team to use those blades in every which direction and to see them close together while doing it. Some couples are lucky enough to have the ability to naturally flow around one another and never look awkward. V/M!!! These two teams are both talented and have so much potential as do the next in line U.S. teams. We have some interesting developmental years coming up

vCash
    I saw P&I live twice this year at Thornhill and at Skate Canada and loved them.
    Only saw G&P's program at Cup of Russia on the internet and liked the FD a lot.
    When I saw P&I earlier in the season I thought they would have for sure overtake G&P. But with the fine choreo and music in the FD I dont know.
    Anyway we will have to see how they perform on the day.

vCash
    Shane Firus is listed on Ice Partner Search. He was skating with Whitney Miller, and there were rumours that she was suffering from some kind of long term injury, IIRC. In any case, whatever the cause, it looks like the partnership is not continuing.

Also on Ice Partner Search is Stefan Dyck. He was skating with Camille Mondor. They were 14th in novice at last season's Canadians. This season they were skating junior, but did not make it out of Quebec sectionals.

vCash
    Great news to see Shane Firus on IPS!! Good to see he's looking to give this another go.

With the end of Challenge, I guess it is that time of year when we all take stock of the current ice dance situation, at least at Junior and Senior. At Challenge, except for Senior, the ranks were all filled up. 22 pre-novice teams, 18 novice and 22 junior after 1 team withdrew. A strong funnel of great talent!

Let's start with Senior: all teams will go to Nationals. The whole event was rather underwhelming with so few teams. I've watched a few of these teams over the course of the season so far. Ralph/Hill have perhaps gone back to their "comfort zone" in terms of music and style. I don't see development and progression. I was so excited for them a couple of years ago when I felt they finally had some good material, interesting choreography and a chance to climb the ladder. I just don't see it this season. It's better than last year, but just not good either, IMHO. They have a chance at that 3rd spot if others ahead of them falter, but I'm really not seeing an open path for them. I also think Hasegawa's have not made tremendous improvement year over year. I think they have some speed, but they just don't "wow" me these days. I don't see the joy of skating, the beauty in movement, musicality. It looks like a whole lot of work, a whole lot of elements strung together with decent choreography. They are missing ease and flow and connection, which I would think would be there after so many years together. I did enjoy watching the progression of Cyr/Brisebois. They have good material, good packaging, and they looked like they were having some fun. They were charming. Really the only bright spot in the lot for me, and still are ones to watch for the future. Paradis/Ouellet break your heart every time. Scary fall when they both went down on the lift in the FD. They are very talented, but seem to battle nerves regularly. We'll see how they shine at Nationals? Dumas/Proulx-Senecal are having a solid start to their partnership, although they still look really new. Gadosy/Smyth are having a really tough year. They don't look well-trained and ready yet. I recognize Smyth from previous years. I'm thinking this is a brand new partnership that just needs a lot more time.

The Junior competition at Challenge was much more exciting. There are some interesting teams in the mix, especially the top 10.

Bent/MacKeen: SD is good and solid. FD is a cheese-fest. Not a fan, but they do skate it well. They have the flow and ease of a team that has been skating together for a long time. Not sure if their marks should have been that high, but I do think they were #1 here. I really liked their FD last year a whole lot, so this super sweet icky stuff was a little much for me. And I think she needs a different FD dress, not yellow.

Wu/Soo: REALLY like their SD. My goodness. In my mind, that was the best one of the night. It was beautifully done, beautifully packaged....start to finish wonderful. Their FD was a let down for me. It wasn't as cheesy as Bent/MacKeen, but awfully close. No originality, another "show tune" from BC skated like a speed skating contest instead of ice dance, with trite interpretation and tons of little twirling. 100% predictable. After such a beautiful SD, this team is certainly capable of something much better and more original.

Soucisse/Tanguay: 2 really solid performances. They look like seasoned professionals this year. They've made some strong improvement, especially him, year over year. LOVE her red dress. I think they deserved 3rd here.

Delmaestro/Lum: This was not a good outing for this team. The SD was ok. The FD was a hot mess in my opinion. It was really out of control. I think they were a little gifted to find themselves in 4th. I'd take the Mengs with mistakes over this any day. Everything was rushed, and looked like a speed skating contest. So many holds and connections were barely there or missed in the rush to get to the finish. It was really quite awful to watch. This is still a new team. I expect with time they will gel into more of a unit than 2 skaters. He is a very talented skater. He has also grown and matured quite a bit since we saw him more than a year ago. I'm guessing they have another year left at Junior, and they could be quite strong next year.

Meng's: Of all the teams in the top 5, they are one of my ones to watch. They have a good sense of movement and unison, a musicality about them, and some interesting choreography. They've been a little stagnant in the rankings, and they did not have a clean FD for sure, but I'm thinking part of this may be because they are still quite young, and she has clearly been growing taller. Time is certainly on their side, if they use it well.

Glavine/Hough: I have not been a terribly big fan of this team. I think they focus on speed over elements, and everything looks more than a little rough, lacking a certain gentleness and finesse between them. That being said, I've seen some real improvement on that front this season, and they chose music that was very appropriate to show that improvement. I don't think either of them are natural dancers, and I question their long-term potential, but I take my hat off to them for showing some real development year over year.

Collins/Seymour: What a heart-break! They really should be a top 5 team, had it not been for a nasty fall. He looked so shocked to fall on the twizzle! Their SD was very well done, and their FD is a thing of beauty. Probably my favourite FD of all the juniors. But this poor fellow must have grown a foot over the last year, and it looks like he's still getting used to his new height. This team has a lovely look, a musical sense, great packaging and are real dancers. They are choosing interesting and challenging material, and interpreting it well. I really like this team.

Garabedian/Laliberte: I have to say that Laliberte has never looked so good! A very nice, well matched team. 2 good programs. For a new team, I found them to be very solid, well trained, and fun to watch. They don't really look like a new team.

Desveaux/Razgulajevs: This is a young team that I feel has been much over-rated (JGP assignment). I think they have some good potential, with some good skating skills, but I think their programs are open, lacking real substance and difficulty, and not always well executed elements. I just think they need some more time to grow up and develop a more mature skating style. I think they are well suited to each other, and they skate with an ease that comes with being partners for a long time, but they are missing "the meat and potatoes".

Falardeau/Mulder: Another new team....And gorgeous. They seem to have missed the first part of the season, so it's been a surprise to see them on the scene, and doing better with every competition. These 2 belong in the same category as the Mengs and Seymour/Collins in terms of quality and style. They are extremely well suited to each other physically, just beautiful to look at, with elegant long lines, smooth skating, and real musicality. They are both dancers. Some great skating skills, and strong elements. They looked just a little careful/slower. When they stepped out for the SD, I thought I was looking at Kaitlyn Weaver. Their FD is a work of art. I think they have potential to move up the ranks by Nationals if they continue to improve like they have been, and the judges now know these 2 a little more, certainly in more consistent and higher PCS.

vCash
    What a great post NorthernDancers! I have to agree with you about Collins/Seymour's FD. When I saw it at Minto in the summer I literally could not stop talking about it. It is so subtle and beautiful.

vCash
    Northerndancers- you are right on the money with all these teams!
    The next quad will be interesting as they start to feed into the senior ranks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Through the same provision under which Kaitlyn Weaver got hers in 2009.
    Those American Ice Dance girls like moving to Canada and snagging Canadian boys, don't they? First Kaitlyn taking Andrew, and now Piper taking Paul.

I'm glad that Piper Gilles got Canadian citizenship today. She and Paul have been working very hard for the past couple years to get into contention for the Olympic team. They haven't achieved the high levels yet that Crone & Poirier had, but they've done well in adapting to a new partnership, and I give Poirier credit for working hard to get back on the ice after that terrible ankle injury. They had 2 pretty good GP performances this season - not perfect, but very good considering the lost training time from injury.

I'm hoping they will win the 3rd ice dance spot in January, but Paul & Islam have a good shot at it too. With Weaver & Poje back at Nationals this year, I don't think Orford & Williams will be able to get to the podium this time, but anything is possible!

vCash
    It was a little sad hearing Carol Lane talk about one of G&P's unique lifts, saying that Paul and his former partner had invented it. It struck me that they're really remaking Gilles into Crone in this particular FD.

Has Vanessa Crone quit trying to find a partner? I had hopes of seeing her compete again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Those American Ice Dance girls like moving to Canada and snagging Canadian boys, don't they? First Kaitlyn taking Andrew, and now Piper taking Paul.
    And neither girl is particularly great Vanessa Crone was a better skater than both

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    We get to see a lot of Wing/Lowe's teams at BC Summerskate, and one of the things I've noticed about them is that they go into attack mode, with not much modulation or nuance. I was hoping that as they season wore on, and they became more comfortable with the programs, that they would bring some ease, but from NorthernDancers' description, at least some of them have not
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    And neither girl is particularly great Vanessa Crone was a better skater than both
    I wouldn't say Vanessa was a better skater than both because as there were issues with her skating as well that didn't seem to be addressed -- such as her posture.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I wouldn't say Vanessa was a better skater than both because as there were issues with her skating as well that didn't seem to be addressed -- such as her posture.
    Vanessa's basic skating was much better. Deep, soft edges none of the other two had.
    Kaitlyn Weaver's posture back then wasn't good either (IMO, it's just so-so now). Weirdly, Kaitlyn Weaver reminds me of the ice dance equivalent of Qing Pang with dance training. Although W&P as a team have good lines.
    Gilles's skating is far behind the two. She may look more presentable on the ice. Crone & Poirier IMO had much better lines on the ice by far. (IMO Christopher Dean's choreo looks better on Crone & Poirier than Gilles & Poirier partly for this reason).
    Although I love G&P's FD this year, and don't mind to see it in Sochi.

Edit: With the exception of the Mary Poppins SD, I think Crone & Poirier could skate all of Gilles & Poirier programs much better (and look better IMO).
    Last edited by piano18; 12-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast