Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    You could be right, certainly. Before worlds this past season I would absolutely have agreed with you. However, I don't think it's crazy now. An 18th place at worlds doesn't do much for anybody's international reputation.

Also, Paul/Islam placed 2nd at the Salt Lake City competition last season, with a higher score (143.76) than Orford/Williams got this year (137.60), so the international judges are not averse to their skating (and Paul/Islam have improved considerably since then, based on their summer competitions).

Purely national reputation is a different story, and I hope it plays no part in the decision this year, although that may be wishful thinking.

But the primary reason that I think Paul/Islam have the edge at this point is that, any reputations aside, I think they are currently the best skaters of the three teams. Orford/Williams perhaps are the most likely to improve significantly during the season, based on past performance in other seasons. They have also been strong competitors historically, which is another possible advantage. Gilles/Poirier are starting from behind this season due to injury IMO.

vCash
    I think the National bias ( if there is one) generally seems to lean towards Gilles/ Poirier. I don't agree it should, but then they have never asked my opinion

IMHO the biggest advantage Orford/Williams have over Paul/Islam is that the former appear to be consistently well trained. Yes, Thomas made some mistakes this weekend, but generally, the show up, they are well trained, and they skate clean programs. The same can't be said for Paul/Islam. Now that may change this year with P/I's new training location.

It certainly will be an exciting Nationals!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I find everyone's comments very interesting. I saw the three teams at last year's Nationals and thought P/I and G/P were the most impressive teams although with very different qualities. I didn't really form an opinion on O/W. G/P's placement at Worlds is worrisome from a long-term perspective - first, 18th place is a deep hole to be buried in and second, it indicates this partnership is not going anywhere in the judges' eyes. P/I have many fine qualities but they've had so many disastrous falls at key times that I wonder if the judges will ever give them the placement they deserve. This may indeed be O/W's year to pull up.

vCash

Canadian Ice Dance 2013/2014: General discussion

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    ...P/I have many fine qualities but they've had so many disastrous falls at key times that I wonder if the judges will ever give them the placement they deserve...
    P/I remind me of P/B in the past. P/B also seemed to have had bad luck at key times. Eventually they managed to turn things around. Hopefully P/I will also work through it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I find everyone's comments very interesting. I saw the three teams at last year's Nationals and thought P/I and G/P were the most impressive teams although with very different qualities. I didn't really form an opinion on O/W. G/P's placement at Worlds is worrisome from a long-term perspective - first, 18th place is a deep hole to be buried in and second, it indicates this partnership is not going anywhere in the judges' eyes. P/I have many fine qualities but they've had so many disastrous falls at key times that I wonder if the judges will ever give them the placement they deserve. This may indeed be O/W's year to pull up.
    Didn't weaver and Poje finish 2oth and 17th in their first two worlds?

vCash
    Right now, G/P are the presumptive favourite.

vCash
    Since Piper doesn't have her citizenship in order yet and they are dealing with injury i don't think they are the favourite at all...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frisette70 View Post
    Since Piper doesn't have her citizenship in order yet and they are dealing with injury i don't think they are the favourite at all...
    I doubt citizenship will be a problem; given how error prone P/I can be (G/P trounced them at two consecutive Nationals, and even their Nationals scores are often huge - much moreso than for other national skaters). O/W are an interesting wildcard, but I think right now - SC prefers G/P.

vCash
    Didn't weaver and Poje finish 2oth and 17th in their first two worlds?
    They did indeed, and it took them three years of intensive work to turn that around.

On an unrelated note, Mackenzie Bent/Garrett MacKeen will not qualify for the JGP Final. Their 7th-place finish at the JGP in Slovakia pretty much guarantees that. It's unfortunate they couldn't duplicate their performances at the JGP in Latvia. They might then have been able to slip in at third place (1st and 2nd were pretty much out of reach given the two top teams), which could have been enough to qualify.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    P/I remind me of P/B in the past. P/B also seemed to have had bad luck at key times. Eventually they managed to turn things around. Hopefully P/I will also work through it.
    Maybe training with Krylova, Camerlengo, and Scali will give them a boost. Have they competed anywhere since the move to Detroit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonem View Post
    Maybe training with Krylova, Camerlengo, and Scali will give them a boost. Have they competed anywhere since the move to Detroit?
    Thornhill

P/I SD 61.11http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHrFH4sZFk
    P/I FD 88.88 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfr8CJUM0_Q

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonem View Post
    Weren't they at the Detroit Skating Club all last season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frisette70 View Post
    Looking good to me.

They've got rhythm, who can ask for anything more?

vCash
    I adore P&I; I'm really hoping they can have a breakthrough season!

vCash
    I'm very optimistic for them after watching both programs a few times..........Lovely. She has the most beautiful arms and back......like Tessa.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Here's Edwards and Pang SD and FD which won them the silver medal Mexico JGP.
    SD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ysu9aEhbtg
    FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-LUttiMTCY
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debrah View Post
    I adore P&I; I'm really hoping they can have a breakthrough season!
    Me, too! I like them SO much better than O/W (even though O/W are skating well right now).

vCash
    Guys, i am so impressed by Canadian ice dance teams today.
    I am so happy to see Lum on ice again. I think his new patner look really good and in some points even better, then Tim. They both have such a light, fast legs. And i think they have great musicality and dancing ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhsR_wQY4g

And i am also impressed with Mengs SD. WOW, Patrice did such a great job for them. It suite to junior ice dancers so well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04myIhT7W2U

Good luck yo both teams in FD!

vCash
    Wow......very impressive young teams.....I guess I know who I will be following after V/M retire
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    So. B. DELMAESTRO / T. LUM fifth, but i like them. Great debute for this two!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peuqx8J5pe8

Mengs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN0YaeZBqiA

Did they skate different FD at summer competitions?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast