Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Congrats to Edwards/Pang!! So far a gold and a silver at the JGP circuit. That's a fantastic start for Canada's Juniors! Feeling bad for D/R. Hope she found some great Mexican food.

Had a look at both the SD and FD events, and except for the top 2, it was all pretty underwhelming. To be honest, I'm not a fan of either the SD or FD from Edwards/Pang either. They have tremendous talent, but their programs are just not right. I think it is time for them to get their choreography outside, from someone like a David Wilson or Jeff Buttle or a famous dancer/choreographer off ice. Someone who is a ballroom expert for the SD, and someone who can do something interesting for the FD. Technically, the FD is difficult. It has the opposite problem of Bent/MacKeen from the week before. Their program was so open and full of 2 foot skating and lacking difficulty - and very cheesy. Edwards/Pang program is packed with lots of difficulty, almost too much, and it just looks like a bunch of hard stuff with a background of horrible cuts to music. They have a whole lot of potential. They need better vehicles. And more off ice dance training to go with that difficulty so that, for example, her back/shoulder positions improve and they look like they really understand their music and the story they are telling. I really loved their SD last year. Their FD was ok. I'm not ready to buy what they are selling yet this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    Yes, ice-dance.com wrote in an article recently that it it was because she competed on the JGP circuit last year for the US, so the fed is holding her... or something along the lines of that.
    It's an interesting new partnership then since due to his age, I think they would have to go Senior next year but she has just turned 15.

vCash
    I'm not ready to buy what they are selling yet this season.
    As far as I can tell from my records, Edwards/Pang just posted the best free dance score of any Canadian ice dance team on the JGP circuit since Vanessa Crone/Paul Poirier in the 2007-2008 season. If that's true, I doubt that they care what you buy or don't buy.

vCash
    NorthernDancers , what do you think about new Timoty Lum patner? Its so said he and Noa couldnt skate together anymore
    I love his personality so much

vCash
    I saw Tim and Brianna's FD live at BC Summer Skate and it was fabulous! They seem well matched, in fact, I would say he is going to have to work to keep up with her. Age wise I think they are a better match than Bruser and Lum were. It will be interesting to see how they do on the GP.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I saw Tim and Brianna's FD live at BC Summer Skate and it was fabulous! They seem well matched, in fact, I would say he is going to have to work to keep up with her. Age wise I think they are a better match than Bruser and Lum were. It will be interesting to see how they do on the GP.
    Thanks! he is very passionate skater IMHO

vCash
    Pani, while both Bruser and Lum were great dancers, I think as a team they had not a good future. As with most of those BC teams, the girls and boys were not a great physical match. It's really unfortunate for those poor girls. I'm not sure what happened to Bruser, but I just looked and Dalmer is still on icepartnersearch. She's listed as 5'8" tall. It's really sad because she is very talented, and very beautiful. Delmaestro/Lum look much better matched. I'm not sure their ages. He still looks very young and quite small. But he is a lovely dancer, and one of the most talented in the bunch, I think. These teams need a little time to gel. It doesn't happen overnight.

Geoskate, I'm sure Edwards/Pang don't care about my opinions, and that's fine. In my opinion, comparing marks to Canadians a few years ago won't get the job done for them. They were beat by a very strong American team. The field seems a lot weaker this year with the French and the strong Russian teams all moved up to Senior. It's not about marks. It's how they will fare in a broader field, and when they age into Senior. Edwards/Pang are very talented, but, in my opinion, they are not being allowed to grow artistically. Over the long term, they need much better material, and all I've seen in terms of programs and choreography out of BC recently is formulaic programs with almost only show tune music with often horrible cuts and rushed "speed skating" like interpretation. They need some diversity in music, some sophistication, some artistic maturity. They have it in them. They need some great off-ice dancers to help them discover and grow this side of their skating. Their technique is solid and strong. Now they need to grow their artistic side. While they scored within a point on the FD to the Americans, I think there was a greater difference in quality between these 2 teams, and Edwards/Pang were a little gifted in PCS in a really weak competition. When the Americans improve their technical score, will Edwards/Pang be able to grow their PCS score to keep pace? I'm not so sure with this material.

vCash
    Edwards/Pang perform very well but when you use such overused music such as Les Miz, the music carries the audience pretty far, but in my opinion, the skating has to really soar to go beyond it.

vCash
    My understanding is that Noa Bruser suffered a concussion and was off the ice. I'm not sure why she didn't return, but given her age at the time, it is quite possible she had a big growth spurt (often happens when someone is off with an injury) and outgrew Lum. Lum, I believe, is the oldest of the trio of Pang, Firus, and Lum. I am pretty sure he is his full size. Brianna is never going to be very big. She is quite petite in proportion and both her parents are small.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Congratulations to Orford/Williams on their bronze medal at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City. (Also congratulations to Weaver/Poje on their silver, but that was expected, plus they have their own thread, whereas the Orford/Williams bronze was not necessarily expected).

Their skates at Salt Lake City received good scores of 54.84 in the short dance and 82.96 in the free dance. This result, and the judges' reception of them, gives them a good platform to build on for the rest of the season, IMO.

vCash
    gilles and Poirier should not be taking the Olympic spot for granted...

vCash
    I hope someone will post O/W's programs on youtube ? Someone ? If I do my best Roger Rabbit "P-p-p-ple-e-a-ase ?'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    I hope someone will post O/W's programs on youtube ? Someone ? If I do my best Roger Rabbit "P-p-p-ple-e-a-ase ?'
    +1.

Still their coaches are Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe? And they are choreographers too? (Who and how chose "Love Never dies"? It's interesting )

vCash
    +2

I've yet to see their FD, but this team is growing on me.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I like this team too! But after seeing several Wing and Lowe teams at the BC Summerskate I have the opinion that with all the things Wing and Lowe do extremely well as coaches- music choice and edits are NOT among their greatest strengths. I hope they bring someone else into their camp to help with this or even to take over because there is a great deal that they are doing extremely well with their teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Congratulations to Orford/Williams on their bronze medal at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City. (Also congratulations to Weaver/Poje on their silver, but that was expected, plus they have their own thread, whereas the Orford/Williams bronze was not necessarily expected).
    I agree that this was not at all expected, what a pleasant surprise! I'm halfway through the short dances so haven't had a chance to watch their skates yet but am looking forward to seeing them. They made a big statement with this finish.

Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    gilles and Poirier should not be taking the Olympic spot for granted...
    Agreed. Orford & Williams just beat several teams that finished ahead of Gilles & Poirier at Worlds, and while I realize that G&P had a mistake at Worlds, it's still something that is worth taking into consideration. I'm also hoping to see Paul & Islam pushing for that Olympic spot as well.

vCash
    I really like Orford/Williams this season but i think that Paul/Islam should be the third team going to the Olympic. They had great scores at Thornhill Summer Skate.

vCash
    Here's O/W's FD.

vCash
    Thanks for posting that! It was already improved from the performance at BC Summerskate IMO.

The commentator was mentioning that some of the transitions are not as smooth as they should be, which I think is true. However, this is a team that historically takes a while to take command of their free dances. Last season their early season performances looked a bit sloppy, and they didn't really hit their stride until Canadians. I think they are ahead of where they were last season at this time, so they could be very strong by Canadians.

However, IMO Paul/Islam are still the favourites for the bronze, based on what we've seen from the various teams so far. Of course, we haven't seen Gilles/Poirier at all yet this season, so they're an unknown factor.

vCash
    I like both Orford/Williams and Paul/Islam, but to say Paul/Islam are the favorite for the bronze at this point is, IMHO, crazy. Simply based on Nationals placement and international reputation, I suggest that Gilles/Porier and O/W are the two couples out ahead in the race for bronze. And while they aren't my favorites, G/P probably have the most margin for error.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast