Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 161 to 176 of 176
  1. #161
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,169
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43386
    The only worry I would have with D&L is whether they could get beyond romantic programs. I think Paradis/Ouellette had the most successful choreography from them -- they were enchanting -- but it was the program I could mostly see D/L skate to, which is often the case with skaters turned coaches and choreographers. I get a similar impression from Wing/Lowe's teams. I didn't get to see the Junior FD's, though, and there may have been some other styles with which they were successful.

    Is there a waiting period for getting subsidies for being a Quebec athlete? If not, D/L could be a way to move to another coach without having to pay for everything from scratch. I don't know what Ralph and Hill's other lives are like (if they're in school, if they have jobs where they are), but if they're willing to re-locate, D/L might be the best option.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    215
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The only worry I would have with D&L is whether they could get beyond romantic programs. I think Paradis/Ouellette had the most successful choreography from them -- they were enchanting -- but it was the program I could mostly see D/L skate to, which is often the case with skaters turned coaches and choreographers. I get a similar impression from Wing/Lowe's teams. I didn't get to see the Junior FD's, though, and there may have been some other styles with which they were successful.

    Is there a waiting period for getting subsidies for being a Quebec athlete? If not, D/L could be a way to move to another coach without having to pay for everything from scratch. I don't know what Ralph and Hill's other lives are like (if they're in school, if they have jobs where they are), but if they're willing to re-locate, D/L might be the best option.
    What romantic programs have D&L created for their skaters this season?

  3. #163
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,169
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43386
    Paradis and Ouellette's FD, for one, which was perfect for them, one of the highlights of the competition, but not up R/H's alley, or at least what they've shown to date as their strengths. I don't remember which novice or junior teams were theirs -- I didn't take many notes about coaches -- but I do remember thinking that some programs seemed to have their imprint on them, and then I'd see her in KnC. I don't remember seeing him, but the day the competition was in the practice arena (Monday), she was hanging with Pascal Denis.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I don't know what Ralph and Hill's other lives are like (if they're in school, if they have jobs where they are), but if they're willing to re-locate, D/L might be the best option.
    According to this http://icedanceelite.com/ralph-hill they're both university students in Toronto

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    215
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Paradis and Ouellette's FD, for one, which was perfect for them, one of the highlights of the competition, but not up R/H's alley, or at least what they've shown to date as their strengths. I don't remember which novice or junior teams were theirs -- I didn't take many notes about coaches -- but I do remember thinking that some programs seemed to have their imprint on them, and then I'd see her in KnC. I don't remember seeing him, but the day the competition was in the practice arena (Monday), she was hanging with Pascal Denis.
    D&L had a string of interesting programs before their breakout 2006/2007 FDs though. They experimented with different looks and style all the time when they trained in France.
    This is my favorite from them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMbjdCHjRdg
    This is their Titus program from when they were still with their Canadian coaches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxFZz2F38no

    It's a shame some only remember D&L for their 2 last competitive FDs, both choreographed by David Wilson. They didn't just do romantic themes.

  6. #166
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,169
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43386
    I know they didn't just do romantic themes in their performance career. However, the last two years were when they had their greatest successes and became renowned for the style, where it got them on the podium, and that's the kind of thing teams stick with. Again, I got the impression from watching her younger teams, where the coaches were not listed in the media guides, that their programs were similar. I was not vigilant in watching for every coach on the jumbotron (Tuesday) or in squinting across the practice arena (Monday), because that's not what interested me so much, and I could have missed other teams, or she may have been in KnC with teams that weren't hers or didn't use D/L's choreography.

    I would love to see R/H do Haguenauer programs.

    Carol Lane gets smart dancers, and the educational opportunities in Toronto keep them based there, which is great for her.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    TSN aired a profile on Edwards/Pang as part of a series on promising young athletes. I didn't know Madeline was off the ice for two months before nationals. They did really well, considering.

    http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/Default.a...section=Sports

  8. #168

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,394
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3278
    Assignments for junior worlds have been posted.

    As expected, the two teams assigned are Edwards/Pang and Bent/MacKeen.

    Alternates are Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum, Danielle Wu/Spencer Soo and Caroline Soucisse/Simon Tanguay. The Delmaestro/Lum and Wu/Soo assignments make sense, since they were 3rd and 4th respectively at Canadians. What is a bit surprising is that Soucisse/Tanguay (5th at Canadians) were chosen over the Mengs (2nd at Canadians) as an alternate. I hope this doesn't mean that the Mengs are injured and couldn't go if needed.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    208
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That is odd about Mengs not being an alternate. I did notice that they changed coaches between Challenge and nationals and were no longer with Marie France and Patrice so not sure what is going on with them.

  10. #170

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1550
    Who are the men's with now?

  11. #171

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1550
    Err, mengs

  12. #172

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,394
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3278
    Congratulations to Madeline Edwards/Zao-Kai Pang on their bronze medal at Junior Worlds!

    Short dance

    Free dance

    Their third place means that Canada will have the maximum number of JGP assignments next season (two/event, I believe).

    Mackenzie Bent/MacKeen skated their short program very well, but had a fall on a lift in their free dance. Fortunately it wasn't a dangerous fall. As a result they finished 12th.

    That will mean two spots for Canada at next years Junior Worlds.

    If I understand the ISU rules correctly, Edwards/Pang are eligible for the JGP next season, but Bent/MacKeen age out. I think the competitors must be under the age of 20 as of July 1, 2014 for next season (i.e. birthday before July 1, 1994). Is that correct? Zhao-Kai's birthday is March 5, 1995 (and Madeline is younger), so they should still be eligible. Garrett's birthday, however, is March 23, 1994, so I think they have aged out. Perhaps someone who knows the rules better can confirm this. Thanks.

  13. #173

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    2014 World Championship results:
    2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 175.41 2 3
    8 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 153.86 10 7
    10 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 148.76 11 10

    Short Dance:
    2 Q Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 69.20 33.50 35.70 8.82 8.75 9.00 8.96 9.04 0.00 #33
    10 Q Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 59.42 29.71 29.71 7.46 7.36 7.29 7.54 7.46 0.00 #30
    11 Q Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 57.68 29.57 28.11 6.96 6.79 7.18 7.11 7.07 0.00 #16

    Free Dance:
    3 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 106.21 51.06 55.15 9.00 9.04 9.43 9.29 9.36 0.00 #20
    7 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 94.44 48.00 46.44 7.68 7.50 7.86 7.89 7.96 0.00 #14
    10 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 91.08 47.43 43.65 7.29 7.00 7.50 7.29 7.50 0.00 #10
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-06-2014 at 03:29 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  14. #174

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    If I understand the ISU rules correctly, Edwards/Pang are eligible for the JGP next season, but Bent/MacKeen age out. I think the competitors must be under the age of 20 as of July 1, 2014 for next season (i.e. birthday before July 1, 1994). Is that correct? Zhao-Kai's birthday is March 5, 1995 (and Madeline is younger), so they should still be eligible. Garrett's birthday, however, is March 23, 1994, so I think they have aged out. Perhaps someone who knows the rules better can confirm this. Thanks.
    ETA: Pang/Edwards are still ISU Junior age-eligible next season; Bent/Mackeen will age out unless the current maximum age rule for ISU Junior male pairs/ice dancers is retained at the ISU Congress in June - refer to this GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-new-age-rules
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-06-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  15. #175
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    If I understand the ISU rules correctly, Edwards/Pang are eligible for the JGP next season, but Bent/MacKeen age out.
    I think the most recent article I read says that Edwards & Pang plan to compete on the Junior circuit again next year.

    What was also impressive for this team is that they were named as alternates to Senior Worlds last month because they had the required TES score, and O&W and R&H did not.

    They could end up overtaking O&W and R&H down the road if these two teams don't raise their technical level.

  16. #176

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Re-posting from the Paul/Islam thread since many teams are referenced (Gilles/Poirier, Orford/Williams, Edwards/Pang, Ralph/Hill):
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    P&I were never a bad team, the reason they didn't advance up the standings was because of inconsistencies and some major falls at the wrong time (like in the FD at 2013 Nationals). Their current environment has certainly helped improve their consistency and confidence, but they already had potential before they came to their current coaches. So while Krylova & co. deserve some credit for their improved results, it's not as if they were a terrible team when they came to her stable. They had been on the Canadian podium once and had some respectable results on the GP and elsewhere.

    G&P are advancing fairly well for a team that's only been together for 3 years. And if they are smart they will continue to advance their technique, like you say. I think they've already done so since they got increased levels for their footwork sequences at Worlds compared to earlier in the season. After the surprise of not finishing on the podium at Nationals this year I would assume they realized they need to raise their game to the next level. I don't know if they will leave their comfort zone of Scarborough though - Paul in particular seems a bit stubborn about staying there. But maybe he's right that Carol Lane is still good for them. They did get into Top 8 last week.

    O&W say they like being coached by Wing & Lowe on the West Coast, and R&H have been skating together since they were kids and say they are happy in the Scarborough group. But the challenge for O&W is that they will be in danger of being overshadowed by their own training mates of E&P if they don't have a stronger season next year. They edged out R&H at Nationals, but I think they finished behind P&O in the FD. And then O&W got beaten by R&H at 4CC's. R&H had decent results at 4CC's, but it's going to be hard for them to get on the Canadian podium and advance internationally unless W&P get injured or P&I or G&P have a major crash. The only reason O&W got to the podium in 2013 was because W&P were injured and P&I fell in the FD. You may be right that R&H should move to Montreal and be coached by Dubreuil & Lauzon. G&P will want to remain a Top 10 team, so Carol Lane will probably make them her main priority, and R&H might need a fresh coaching perspective.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •