Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to today's press release from Skate Canada, Ralph/Hill are going to skate at NRW.

The TES minimums for Worlds can be met in the season before or prior season at ISU events and qualifying Senior B's, i.e, ones where there are enough skaters, judges, tech people from enough countries in the discipline, which is most of them. Orford/Williams have not made the TES SD minimum of 28 last season or so far this season. Were they to qualify for the Olympics or 4C's, they'd have a chance to make the score at that event, should they not make it at TEB. Barring injury or disaster, with the Canadians highly unlikely -- or, possibly, on the record -- not sending the Olympic team to 4C's, they should be Top 6 and earn a berth at least at 4C's.

[ETA: O/W had qualified for Worlds last season, based on their SD TES of 30.64 at 2012 Jr. Worlds, but the 2011-12 season scores dropped off for qualifying this season.]

The Canadian 4C's team should be quite strong this year.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Have Ralph/Hill met the TES..or is this why they competed in Nice and now the NRW competition? Also, why did they not receive a Grand Prix?

And, should Gilles/Poirier place 3rd, I assume the 4th place couple will be named to the Olympic team..but then not go to Worlds?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Ralph/Hill have the 4C's/Olympics TES minimums and the Worlds FS TES minimum, but missed the Worlds SP TES minimum (28) in three tries over the last two seasons: 2012 Nebelhorn (27), 2012 Skate Canada (24.14), and 2013 Coupe de Nice (24.6).

Last season Ralph/Hill were guaranteed one as #21 on the World Standings list, and Skate Canada, in its infinite wisdom, assigned them a host pick in the initial selection, instead of holding one spot as a TBA and making another Federation give them their guaranteed spot and then assigning them to Skate Canada if they wanted them there. This season, they are #43 on the SB list and were #45 on the WS list and weren't guaranteed anything. With the field limited to eight spots, the only selected teams who were not guaranteed spot(s) were three host picks -- Paul/Islam, Huang/Zheng, Yu/Wang -- and Gilles/Poirier were the only team guaranteed one that got two non-host picks instead of one. The other four teams who were guaranteed one but got a second because their federations were smart enough to leave TBA's for them at the host event, forcing other feds to give them their guaranteed spot, and later assigned them to the host event.

The bottom line is that they didn't get a spot because Skate Canada didn't give them a host pick.

It's likely that if G/P qualify for the Olympics but she doesn't get citizenship, the next couple will make the Olympic team, with G/P going to Worlds. Kaitlyn Weaver was granted citizenship in June 2009, long before 2010 Canadian Nationals, and the decision to expedite Gilles' citizenship application or not would be made before 2014 Canadian Nationals. I haven't seen anything stating that Gilles' request was accepted or rejected. It takes legislative action. In their favor is that unlike Weaver/Poje, who moved to Detroit to train, it's unlikely that Poirier would move from where he's in school and from his coaches, and within a year she'll have lived in Canada long enough to have qualified under standard processing. She should be fine for 2018 under standard processing.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

Canadian Ice Dance 2013/2014: General discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    ... In their favor is that unlike Weaver/Poje, who moved to Detroit to train, it's unlikely that Poirier would move from where he's in school and from his coaches, ...
    Also, Piper had enrolled, and is currently attending Ryerson University in Toronto.

Ryerson is walking distance from the University of Toronto's St. George campus where Paul attends. Ryerson's campus is also across the street from the big Eaton Centre mall...

Piper, now don't be skipping classes to go shopping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    The only team in the top 10 without an assignment is Whitney Miller/Shane Firus. In terms of score they would fit between Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum and Katie Desveaxu. I wonder why they didn't get at least an alternate splot; any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    Yes, ice-dance.com wrote in an article recently that it it was because she competed on the JGP circuit last year for the US, so the fed is holding her... or something along the lines of that.
    I was looking at the entries to BC Sectional Championships and noticed in the dance Whitney Miller/Shane Firus are not listed. Does this mean the US has not released her to skate in Canada? Also, Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum are not listed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    I was looking at the entries to BC Sectional Championships and noticed in the dance Whitney Miller/Shane Firus are not listed. Does this mean the US has not released her to skate in Canada? Also, Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum are not listed?
    Miller and Firus have split and are no longer skating competitively or looking for new partners. I can't speak to why Delmaestro/Lum are not listed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbyskates View Post
    Miller and Firus have split and are no longer skating competitively or looking for new partners. I can't speak to why Delmaestro/Lum are not listed.
    I'm very sorry to hear this. We saw them skate at BC summer competition and thought they were lovely. I so enjoyed their short dance. I hope the end of the partnership was mutual/amicable and all the best to these young people in their future endeavors.

vCash
    The rumor I heard is that Whitney was injured and could not keep skating. It is really too bad. They needed more mileage together, but I thought they were off to a great start. I haven't heard anything about Delmaestro / Lum, but I did see her at the rink a week or so ago. Could they just have a bye to Challenge based on their international assignment?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Had Miller/Firus remained together, they would not have needed a release from USFS to compete at a non-ISU, non-approved international Canadian event. Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier medaled at Canadian Nationals in 2012 before she was released by USFS to skate internationally in the 2012-13 season. 4th place Ralph/Hill went to 2012 Worlds.

Firus isn't very tall, and it will be harder for him to find a partner, despite his ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    The rumor I heard is that Whitney was injured and could not keep skating. It is really too bad. They needed more mileage together, but I thought they were off to a great start. I haven't heard anything about Delmaestro / Lum, but I did see her at the rink a week or so ago. Could they just have a bye to Challenge based on their international assignment?
    I believe Delmaestro and Lum would have a bye to Challenge because of their JGP assignment. The bye option is there, but not always used. I noticed Bent/Mackeen are not listed for Sectionals anywhere. But the Quebec teams with a bye did skate this weekend, and Desveaux/Razgulajevs and Collins/Seymour are listed for Central Sectionals next weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Firus isn't very tall, and it will be harder for him to find a partner, despite his ability.
    Dalmer/Firus had a great partnership, and it was sad to see that one end, even though I think it was necessary. When one has had a great partnership, it is sometimes difficult to find that connection again. But I hope he does try. He has great potential. Maybe it means changing the venue entirely, if nothing can be found close to home. Perhaps there is a lovely young lady of a size similar to Marie-France Dubreuil in Quebec? Or even someone in the international community who wouldn't mind making/has already made a skating home in North America somewhere? It's worth the effort if his passion for skating is still there, and the attractions of a normal life haven't taken over.

vCash
    Gilles/Poirer skated an amazing FD at NHK. Easily the most interesting FD of all the Canadian teams. I could watch it over and over, so many wow moments. Amazing comeback from injury, too.

vCash
    Are G/P eligible to compete in the Olympics? It could be a very interesting race for that third place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Are G/P eligible to compete in the Olympics?
    No (ETA: not at this time) -- re-posting this article from last month that explains Gilles' current situation: http://torontoobserver.ca/2013/10/13...or-sochi-2014/

G/P's Hitchcock-themed FD at NHK Trophy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHMDIFL1so
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-10-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well I'm hoping she gets that citizenship and they get the third spot. That FD would be a great one for Olympic audience.

vCash
    I'm wondering why Edwards/Pang are not skating at Challenge..do they get a bye due to their Junior Grand Prix competitions?

And I was sad to see Jiang/Miller withdrew.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    I'm wondering why Edwards/Pang are not skating at Challenge..do they get a bye due to their Junior Grand Prix competitions?

And I was sad to see Jiang/Miller withdrew.
    They would have to skate Senior this year (because they won junior last year) so all the teams make it to Nationals. They are probably taking the extra time to train their senior programs after skating junior for the first part of the season.

vCash
    What about Delmaestro-Lum?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    What about Delmaestro-Lum?
    4th place in Junior: http://results.skatecanada.ca/2013-2...catResults.pdf

All Challenge results/protocols: http://results.skatecanada.ca/2013-2....cfm?strLang=E
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast