Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Canadian Ice Dance 2013/2014: General discussion

There was a thread for Canadian ice dance 2012/2013, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2013/2014 that I can find. There are the individual threads for the top teams, of course (Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier, Paul/Islam), but nothing for general discussion about the other senior teams and the junior level teams. Hopefully this thread will become that general discussion for other teams.

It's time to start one, I think, because Mackenzie Bent/Garrett MacKeen should be congratulated on their first ever JGP gold medal this weekend at the JGP Riga (Latvia). Last season they won a bronze at the JGP in Austria, which was their best JGP standing previous to this. Their next assignment is the JGP in Kosice, Slovakia. If they get on the podium there (certainly a possibility), they have a reasonable chance of making the JGP Final.

They didn't establish any new international personal bests in winning the gold, but they almost matched their previous short dance personal best from last season's Junior Worlds. Their free dance score was about the same as their free dance score from junior worlds. That's a good start for the season; hopefully they can build on that.

Their free dance from Riga is here.

Congratulations to them!

ETA: Moderator, please see Sylvia's post below. If this thread is more appropriate to the GSD, could you please move it? Thanks.
    Last edited by geoskate; 09-01-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Maybe you could ask a FSU mod. to move this thread to GSD if its purpose will be primarily for news and discussion?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Giving this thread a boost.

Congrats to Bent/McKeen on a great start to the season! If this season progresses like last season, perhaps all those 3rds are going to be 1sts this season!! I think their SD was lovely. Wasn't so excited about that FD. It was boring...open, full of 2 foot skating, lacking complexity. What they have is great smoothness, unison, matching leg lines, etc. developed over many years of being a team. She needs to watch her posture. All in all a great place to start, though.

Can't wait to see how all these new Junior teams are going to do over the course of the season (along with the returning ones of course). Also can't wait to see the Senior season kick off in earnest.

vCash
    I agree about B/M FD.......didn't like the music cuts.......such a mish-mash, but they are a very promising young team, and their SD was terrific.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Well, then, here's the link to the short dance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaxpebzhmoU.

All the JGP assignments for the JGP Ostrava are posted on the ISU website, except ice dance. Probably they will be posted tomorrow.
    Last edited by geoskate; 09-04-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Pasted the incorrect link; now corrected.

vCash
    Ice dance assignments for JGP Ostrava Czech Republic are now posted.

Assigned: Madeline Edwards/Zhao-Kai Pang (second assignment, the other being the JGP Mexico);
    Danielle Wu/Spencer Soo

Alternates: Mackenzie Bent/Garret MacKeen (already assigned two, this presumably is just in case sickness or minor injury interfers with JGP Slovakia)
    Lauren Collins/Danny Seymour (already skating at JGP Slovakia)
    Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum (already skating at JGP Poland)
    Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Razgulajevs (already skating at JGP Mexico)

As mentioned above, skaters competing at JGP Mexico this week are Madeline Edwards/Zhao-Kai Pang and Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Rezgulajevs.

vCash
    Does anyone know what happened to Desveaux/Razgulajevs? They were listed for JGP Mexico, but they aren't on the starting order.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Desveaux/Razgulajevs? They were listed for JGP Mexico, but they aren't on the starting order.
    Injury to one of them before the SD draw is my guess? Katie tweeted today:
    So where is the closest place to find churros in Mexico.... It shouldn't be hard!! #eatingmyfeelingsaway
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thank you Sylvia, I hadn't seen her latest tweet. Really unfortunate for them, especially since they might not get another assignment.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Tweeted by @icedancecom earlier tonight:
    "We've heard that Des/Raz (CAN) had some kind of paperwork issue that kept them from competing at #JGPMexico."

Ice-dance.com's article on Madeline Edwards & ZhaoKai Pang: http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...the-right-path

vCash
    Better a paperwork issue than an injury! But how unfortunate!

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia for the link on Edwards/Pang. We are so fortunate here in Canada to have so many great young teams to support.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Better a paperwork issue than an injury! But how unfortunate!
    Very unfortunate and I'm sure devastating for the team - especially when they were already there and just about to go into the draw.

vCash
    Congratulations to Edwards/Pang on a good short dance, with a score of 53.46. It wasn't their best, since they probably lost about 2 points on a twizzles glitch, but otherwise it was strong. Last season, at their first JGP assignment in France, their short dance score was 46.53, so they are starting at higher level this season. Hopefully their free dance is at least as good.

Here's the short dance (although I prefer the camera work at the BC Summerskate).

vCash
    And now congratulations to Edwards/Pang on a silver medal at JGP Mexico. That's the best they've ever done on the JGP circuit. (Last season they won two bronze medals). In winning the silver, they also established a new international best score for the free dance. This is the first time anyone except the Vancouverites have seen their program, since it somehow never made it on to the live streaming from the BC Summerskate.

Their program is here on Youtube.

vCash
    Really enjoyed both Hayawak/Baker and Edwards/Pang FD. Junior teams looking strong!

ETA: I just realized I was posting in Canadian dancers thread, I know H/B are American...was just watching the comp vids and I loved both teams!
    Last edited by ~tapdancer~; 09-08-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Assignments for JGP Estonia are Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum and Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Razgulajevs (the promised assignment to make up for the botched paperwork non-assignment in Mexico).

Therefore the following teams have assignments (some already skated), with the teams listed in order of the best scores to date:
    - Madeline Edwards/Zhao-Kai Pang (JGP Mexico, JGP Czech Republic, alternates at JGP Slovakia, JGP Poland and JGP Estonia);
    - Mackenzie Bent/ Garret MacKeen (JGP Latvia, JGP Slovakia, alternates at JGP Mexico and JGP Czech Republic);
    - Danielle Wo/Spencer Su (JGP Czech Republic, alternates JGP Slovakia, JGP Poland and JGP Belarus);
    - Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum (JGP Poland, JGP Estonia, alternates JGP Belarus and JGP Czech Republic);
    - Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Razgulajevs (JGP Mexico, did not skate, replaced by JGP Estonia, alt JGP Latvia, alt JGP Poland, alt JGP Czech Republic
    - Melinda Meng/Andrew Meng (JGP Poland, alternates Latvia, alternate JGP Mexico, alternate JGP Belarus, alternate JGP Belarus)
    - Caroline Soucisse/Simon Tanguay (JGP Belarus, alternates JGP Slovakia, alternate JGP Estonia).
    - Jessica Jiang/Tyler Miller (JGP Belarus)
    - Lauren Collins/Danny Seymour (JGP Slovakia, alternate JGP Czech Republic)

The only team in the top 10 without an assignment is Whitney Miller/Shane Firus. In terms of score they would fit between Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum and Katie Desveaxu. I wonder why they didn't get at least an alternate spot; any suggestions?
    Last edited by geoskate; 09-10-2013 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    The only team in the top 10 without an assignment is Whitney Miller/Shane Firus. In terms of score they would fit between Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum and Katie Desveaxu. I wonder why they didn't get at least an alternate splot; any suggestions?
    Yes, ice-dance.com wrote in an article recently that it it was because she competed on the JGP circuit last year for the US, so the fed is holding her... or something along the lines of that.

vCash
    Thanks.

and now my typo is preserved indefinitely. That should teach me to proofread posts before I post.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast