View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Three great documentaries I'm recommending:

Dreamworlds 3: Desire, Sex & Power in Music Video - Directed by Sut Jhally, who is a professor of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. And what a great communicator! Documentaries can often by very biased, antagonistic and/or unfocussed. This 60 minute film calmly and clearly makes it's point, but in a very enlightened and involving way. One of those movies that makes you see things (the things in this case being music videos) in a new and more focussed way than ever before.

The End of Poverty? - Another enlightening movie, focussing on why poverty exists while there is so much wealth in the world. Very well put together, but it lost me a bit in the middle, but that might have been because I was in the middle of a movie-watching blitz trying to see everything I borrowed from various libraries while house-sitting before they became overdue! I'm doing much better now, thanks! I also might have felt that way because the topic is kind of heavy, but I definitely recommend this movie to anybody who has even the slightest interest in this topic.

Consuming Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood - Another movie. It's all about how the standards for advertising towards children were basically eliminated during the Reagan administration. This movie made me wonder if Reagan is one of the world's greatest child abusers for allowing the existing standards to be blown to pieces under his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Peter, why didn't you include Dallas Buyer's Club in your poll? Is the release date not official? I thought it was Nov 1st.
    I use the info at Wikipedia as it has all the important stuff on one page, so I can copy it and paste it into excel pretty easily. When I started this thread, that movie was not listed. Maybe at that time a firm date had not been made for this movie's release? So I would have included it, but don't expect interest will be so big that I'd add it to the poll. Now that I've said that, the movie will go on to win best picture and best actor...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I saw 'The Family' - very enjoyable movie, more chuckles, than out loud laughing, but nice. I had the sense that DeNiro and Jones had fun together.
    Typecasting, predictable, but entertaining. Best use of the F word ever!

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    IMAX 3D The Wizard of Oz - just amazing.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Twilight breaking dawn part 2" lol I had to finish the series altho ill never understand why. How a movie about fast moving vampies ca go soooo slooow -ill never unstand that either. Tell me there won't be any more of this series! !! Argh! !!
    The library did not have anything new besides that and "prometheus" so.....THAT dvd had skips in it so I filled in the plot gaps as best I could which turned out to be not so hard at all....because it was even more stupid than "breaking dawn 2" ARGH! !!!!

surely today there will be some non-stupid movies? I ca hope...

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw "Prisoners" this afternoon. Powerful acting, but I am not sure I agreed with the director's vision of the movie, which was more realistic and natural, as the script itself was rather pulp-noir.

I also caught "Secret of the Kells" finally on Netflix. Loved the animation, but the story didn't enchant me like I hoped.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Saw Ain't Them Bodies Saints yesterday. Couldn't stand Casey Affleck's voice in it but loved Rooney Mara's performance.

Also watched the dvd of One Day . I found that Anne Hathaway's attempt on a British accent wasn't that bad. Loving both Hathaway and Sturgess probably made me enjoy the movie, although it was just okay.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    Also watched the dvd of One Day . I found that Anne Hathaway's attempt on a British accent wasn't that bad. Loving both Hathaway and Sturgess probably made me enjoy the movie, although it was just okay.
    I thought Hathaway's accent was pretty awful -- esp. since it wasn't supposed to be a "British accent" generally but specifically a Yorkshire accent modified to not be quite so Yorkshire. A tough hit for an American, to be sure, and I didn't actually expect she'd get it right. But I'm more sensitive to accents than the average North American moviegoer, and everything else about her characterization was just about spot-on, so I forgave her. Mostly I was glad they didn't butcher the book too much. The book is still better, of course, but as a movie adaptation they did a pretty good job overall. (And yes, having Sturgess in it helps. A lot. )

vCash
    Among the movies so far this far that are yet to make a profit these are the ones with the largest deficit...

Turbo - gross= $81.6m, budget = $135m
    Pacific Rim - gross = $101.5m, budget $190m
    R.I.P.D. - gross = $33.6m, budget $130m
    Lone Ranger - gross = $89.15m, budget = $215m
    Smurfs 2 - gross = $69.6, budget = $105m

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Prisoners took the top spot this weekend, taking in just over 20 million. At first the theme of this movie made me feel so BLECH that I couldn't imagine wanting to see it, but after seeing both Jake G. and Hugh Jackman talk about the movie on the Daily Show, it made it's way back on to my list. Tough viewing probably, but one that makes you think. And it looks like y'all did not support Chris Brown's new movie, Battle Of The Year 3D opened in 5th place, taking in just under 5 million on a 20 dollar budget. Now we might not see another Chris Brown movie, thanks a LOT you guys!! /sarcasm The remastered 3-D version of Wizard of Oz opened in 9th place, taking in 3 million. What's interesting about the line for this movie on the chart is that under days of release (where you rarely see a three-digit number) the amount is 27,058. They must have goofed up and instead of total days in release, the number represents EVERY day since the movie was released. Unless there's one theatre somewhere that has been playing this same movie since 1939!

New movie releases below. I put Therese and Baggage Claim at the very end because I'm sure I've included them before. Release dates pushed back? And who dares to watch the trailer for The Secret Lives Of Dorks...which I swear MUST be the worst trailer (and movie) of 2013...

September 27 Out in the Dark – Romantic drama. From imdb.com: “A drama centered on the love affair between two men on opposite sites of the Mid-East conflict: Palestinian student Nimer and Roy, an Israeli lawyer.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99XxMLgE3AM

September 27 Inequality for All – From imdb.com: “A documentary that follows former U.S. Labor Secretary Robert Reich as he looks to raise awareness of the country's widening economic gap.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9REdcxfie3M

September 27 We Are What We Are – with new cast and Kelly McGillis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXKogr0O-Zc

September 27 Muscle Shoals – From imdb.com: “A documentary that celebrates Rick Hall, the founder of FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and the signature sound he developed in songs such as "I'll Take You There", "Brown Sugar", and "When a Man Loves a Woman".”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGtfpim0OM

September 27 As I Lay Dying - Drama with James Franco, Danny McBride and Richard Jenkins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO68Kd2yQsE

September 27 The Secret Lives of Dorks – Comedy with new cast, Jim Belushi and Jennifer Tilly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odMN9SfZQYk

September 27 Therese – Dramatic thriller with Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Felton, Jessica Lange and Shirley Henderson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCLBkM4OfSY

September 27 Baggage Claim – Comedy with Paula Patton, Taye Diggs, Jill Scott, Adam Brody, Christina Milian, Taye Diggs, Derek Luke, Djimon Hounsou and Trey Songz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JwZRQXzNQ

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Among the movies so far this far that are yet to make a profit these are the ones with the largest deficit...

Turbo - gross= $81.6m, budget = $135m
    Pacific Rim - gross = $101.5m, budget $190m
    R.I.P.D. - gross = $33.6m, budget $130m
    Lone Ranger - gross = $89.15m, budget = $215m
    Smurfs 2 - gross = $69.6, budget = $105m
    Didn't Pacific Rim do incredibly well over-seas, though. I think it has far surpassed its budget overall.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I finally watched The Mortal Instrument: City of Bones today... What a mess of a movie. They introduced a lot of things without giving them any explanation or attention. The movie felt like it had been too heavily edited. Maybe this movie makes sense to someone who had read the book, but to me it was incoherent. The plot was meh and every "twist" can be seen from a mile away. The characters were forgettable and I didn't care for any of them

Some of the CGI work look decent, but nothing really stood out. I found the random rain and snow to be very cheesy and annoying as well

I found from IMDB that this started from an incest fan-fiction of Ron and Ginny... I should have done my research before going into the theater to watch this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Didn't Pacific Rim do incredibly well over-seas, though. I think it has far surpassed its budget overall.
    Box office to date for Pacific Rim is 407 million. So yes, quite a good profit there.

Turbo is over 173 million at this point, RIPD is at 71 million, Lone Ranger 245 million, and Smurfs 2 307 million. Nowadays movies make their biggest box office receipts internationally, so you cannot look at only the profits from North America to see how a movie did.

vCash
    I heard studios only get around 25% from international box office though?

vCash
    I saw Kick Ass 2 on Sunday, which I loved almost as much as the first film. It's still quite irreverent, but less so, and Chloe Grace Moretz out-acts absolutely everyone except Jim Carey, who is absolutely unrecognizable. Ms. Moretz is really just super talented.

vCash
    I enjoyed "Pacific Rim" and a sequel is already in the works.

However, "Gravity" is the best film I've seen all year. I usually don't like 3D but it was particularly effective here.

If you get dizzy easily maybe hold off.

It's 90 minute running time was more than enough ... pacing is good and keeps up the suspense.

vCash
    Oh yeah, you are all right, those are domestic Box office numbers but they are still bad. I can hardly believe a sequel is in the works.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    VIFF starts up this week, but I'm so busy with other things I'm not sure how many films I'm going to be able to get to this year. So many of this year's offerings are scheduled at really inconvenient times for me. Two that are definitely on my list, though, are:

Honeymoon

Good Vibrations

I'm also hoping to see Hotell, Felix, and Ludwig II, but I'm not sure I can fit them in.

If it looks like a film that will get wider release (like Ain't Them Bodies Saints, Blue is the Warmest Colour, With You Without You, or Watermark) I'm not so anxious to see it at VIFF, I can wait. But so many VIFF offerings are smaller films that have a hard time finding distributors, so this could be the only chance to see them.

having a nice day
    vCash
    This newest film of "the great gatsby" is the only version that ever made the story real clear to me. And I liked all the actors better too. I watched it twice..so far!
    There was a sneak peek of "prisoners" on the dvd. Oh hell yes I want to see that.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just watched Dead Man Down (Colin Farrell, Noomi Rapice, Dominic Cooper and Terrence Howard). Wow. I loved, loved, loved, loved, loved this movie. The script is amazing and the performances are beyond wonderful. Farrell and Rapice are amazing and are a joy to watch for two hours. This is one of those movies where you think, "oh, now THIS is going to happen..." and then something ELSE happens instead. 10/10.

And I was happy with these other two movies, which now seem to pale in comparison to Dead Man Down, but I'm still recommending them as I really did like them! First up...

The Host (Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, Diane Kruger, Frances Fisher and William Hurt). Everybody seems to be dumping on this movie, but I found it to have a pace that was so relaxed...like in an ethereal kind of way...yet always involving. I really liked it and think it's only seen in a negative light because "the chick who wrote Twilight" wrote the book it was based on. Great on a sci-fi level, but interesting in a family drama way as well - and a twist on a romance movie too. If you're curious about this one, I hope you give it a chance.

The Call (Halle Barry, Abigail Breslin, Morris Chestnut and Michael Imperioli). Very intense! Gets you on the edge of your seat for sure. This one escapes the "stupid people doing stupid things" theme that too many movies fall into, although there are a few plot points that could have been cleaned up. But overall, quite the rollercoaster of a movie and a ride I was glad to have taken.

having a nice day
    vCash
    SNARK: today is the last day "prisoners" is showing and while I can catch the bus there I'd have to walk home...in thedark...if I could get up the nerve to cross I-35 on the way hella scary pedistrian bridge. Which I tried once in broad daylight and....huh-uh never again. SIGH. Looks like I have to wait til 2014 for the dvd !!!!! Gah. :-P
    Have a nice day!

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast