View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Just saw The East with Alexander Skarsgard, Ellen Page and Brit Marling. I looooooooooooooved it! Such tough subject matter: enviromentalism and guerilla tactics used against those who some feel have done far too much damage to our planet. Loved the script, the pacing and all the performances. Surprised to see that the lady in one scene is none other than Julia Ormond. She looked a little...weathered? I remember her in Chocolat with Johnny Depp which was truly an onscreen battle for who was prettier! Depp would win today. Maybe he can afford better work done?
    I think you mean Juliette Binoche was in Chocolate. Ormond and Binoche do look alike.
    thanks for the recommendation, as I was curious about The East.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Has FSU ever done something funny to your posts? I re-read a previous post of mine and there are three or four words in the post that don't make sense with the sentence they appear in. I felt so stupid reading what I posted! Anyway, tonight I watched Mud with Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon. I thought it was quite good although it was slow moving. Matty looked yummy in it. But the best part of the movie in my opinion is the young lead played by Tye Sheridan. I thought he was BRILLIANT and I am very much looking forward to see what his future holds. I think he has the potential to be a young male Dakota Fanning.

Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I felt Julianne Moore was the real star of The Hours. Having experienced mental illness and a wish to commit suicide myself, I thought she was brilliantly convincing. She should have won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar in my opinion, but then there are so many performances about which you can say the same thing.
    Four nominations and zero wins. I wonder if Moore will become her generation's Glenn Close?

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I feel Streep has been robbed before because of this and it could happen AGAIN. I want her to get one more before she retires, she deserves it.
    Has Streep said she is going to retire??

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    But have you seen the original? Not all remakes are evil, of course, but I'm having a hard time believing that Delivery Man will have the same charm as the original, Starbuck. Even when it is the same writer/director remaking his own film.
    I have not seen the original as there are 11 copies at the library. I will marry Patrick Huard one day, though.
    Last edited by PeterG; 11-19-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    "Promised Land"-if you don't know how oil and gas companies/landmen operate, this is a gd basic introduction. Matt Damon and John Kazinski produced, wrote, and star. Frances McDormand plays the "it's just a job" part. Real townspeople and a real pretty little town are featured. See unspoiled land while you still can.

Am not watching "42:the Jackie Robinson story" due to time constraints. Bad weather is coming and must return movies before it hits. Most likely any future reviews from me will be from my own collection, which I do need to review to pitch. I am not moving all of it sad to say.
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    "Promised Land"-if you don't know how oil and gas companies/landmen operate, this is a gd basic introduction. Matt Damon and John Kazinski produced, wrote, and star. Frances McDormand plays the "it's just a job" part. Real townspeople and a real pretty little town are featured. See unspoiled land while you still can.
    Good pedagogical material indeed, but I found it pretty lame for a Gus Van Sant movie.

I haven't had time to watch many movies lately, but I liked these 3:
    -Gravity: first time I actually enjoy 3D (Yes, I didn't like it in Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, or Life of Pi).

-Snowpiercer: Despite several uh moments/facts, I loved many ideas and characters in it.

-Ender's Game: An ok movie. I didn't like the look of the girl who was much better in True Grit.

vCash
    Just watched Poor Boy's Game which stars Danny Gloverland and one of Donald Sutherland's sons. Can't remember his name right now, but he has on the TV show "Reign" right now playing the advisor to the queen (Megan Fellows). Sutherland plays a man who is just getting out of jail for beating a man so badly that the man is now brain damaged (Danny Glover's son). When he gets out of jail, he is challenged to a boxing match where his opponent wants to get revenge for what Sutherland did. I was afraid the movie would become some sort of Charles Bronson-like revenge flick, but it took a higher road and was more thoughtful than that. It's kind of a quieter film and doesn't try too hard to hit you over the head with a message. So I recommend it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I would never have picked you as a horror/slasher pic movie fan, IceAlisa!
    I am not. Wait, this movie is a horror flick? Fugget about it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    While "Nebraska" should be a sure bet for a Bruce Dern Oscar nomination for lead actor, I'm going to have to give June Squibb (who plays Dern's wife) a 50-50 shot at a supporting actress nomination as well.

vCash
    I've seen three lighter movies lately, all that I recommend.

Hotel Transylvania was slightly the best, mainly because Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg are brilliantly funny in this. I usually don't like Sander and the live action comedy the two recently made looks awful. But they're so great in this! I thought the female lead was voiced by Miley Cyrus so I was surprised to find out that it was Serena Gomez instead. She was great as well.

Oz The Great And Powerful was pretty good, but I wouldn't call it brilliant. It has some nice moments and it was quite beautiful to watch.

Brave was even more beautiful than Oz. Some of the visuals are breathtaking and overall it's quite an endearing story.

vCash
    Just came back from watching Catching Fire. not nearly as good as the first IMO--the acting was off for almost everyone. Gary Andetson had a much better feel for the it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    For those needing a recap before going off to see Catching Fire this weekend, I present to you ... The Hunger Games performed by cats.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    "The Fearless Vampire Killers:Or Pardon Me But Your Teeth Are In My Neck"-in happier days, Roman Polanski directed and stars. He's a terrific actor. This is a comedy. It's pretty funny, dialogue and sight gags galore. A must-see and a can't-part-with.
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    I finally watched Thor today... I feel, once again, disappointed.... Are the movies this year underwhelming or is my standard/expectation just getting higher and higher?

First of all, I felt that the pacing and editing of this movie is horrible... The funeral scene was so beautiful, but I felt it could have been so much better if they fleshed it out more and did not immediately cut to the asylum humour scene. They did this to a couple of other moments throughout the movie. It's almost like they are afraid if the movie gets too serious, people will stop watching.

Second, parts of the movie felt so haphazard. Like something went wrong in the editing room or something.

Third, What is with the Loki Odin scene? This movie feels incomplete. Like it's waiting to be explained/fleshed out in the sequel. And that always brings down any movie a notch :<

Last, and most importantly: Not enough Loki.

Ps: It's possible that my expectation for this movie was too high because I totally loved the first movie. Plus, the trailer made me think it would be more epic.

vCash
    I saw Catching Fire today and loved it

My girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence grows

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Everyone loves Jennifer Lawrence. She is very charming and candid.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm posting the trailers for movies that open next week early because soon I'll be starting a new thread. Who wants to go see Oldboy with me next weekend? I've got coupons for free entry and pop and popcorn!!!

November 27th - Oldboy - Crime with Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson, Elizabeth Olsen and Sharlto Copley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd20pywMXuY
    1.5 million views

November 27th - Frozen - Family, Musical, Adventure, Comedy with Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad, Jonathan Groff and Alan Tudyk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jw-AeaU5WI
    7.5 million views

November 29th - Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom - Drama with Idris Elba
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmm-aazQQKA

November 27th - Homefront - Action thriller with Jason Statham, James Franco, Winona Ryder, Kate Bosworth and Frank Grillo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjSOj8b804U
    1.6 million views

November 27th - Black Nativity - Drama, Musical with Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett, Tyrese Gibson, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J. Blige, Vondie Curtis-Hall and Nas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfhupIQ1JnE

November 27 Journey to the South Pacific (IMAX) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “An underwater voyage to Indonesia to learn about its inhabitants such as giant rays and whale sharks as well as efforts being made in the region for ocean conservation.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojxx9zDrpfM

November 30 From the Rough – Sports drama with Tom Felton, Michael Clarke Duncan, Taraji P. Henson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3F5nVLBvaA

November 29 The Punk Singer – documentary. From imdb.com: “A look at the life of activist, musician, and cultural icon Kathleen Hanna, who formed the punk band Bikini Kill and pioneered the "riot grrrl" movement of the 1990s.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwrXC5OXqgc

November 29 Bettie Page Reveals All – Documentary. From imdb.com: “The world's greatest pinup model and cult icon, Bettie Page, recounts the true story of how her free expression overcame government witch-hunts to help launch America's sexual revolution.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g82PN4eENU

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Sneak peak of the new thread below. Guess the movie based on the casts. Hope there's enough hints for you to figure out which movie fits with these casts. NO GOOGLING!!!

1. Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Matthew McConaughey, Kyle Chandler, Jon Favreau, Jean Dujardin, Rob Reiner, Jon Bernthal, Christine Ebersole, Joanna Lumley and Spike Jonze

2. Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Cate Blanchett, Benedict Cumberbatch, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Aidan Turner, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Stephen Fry, Billy Connolly and Ian Holm

3. Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, James Marsden, Dylan Baker, Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, Vince Vaughn, Fred Willard, Luke Wilson, Nicole Kidman, Chris Parnell, Jim Carrey, Sacha Baron Cohen, Drake, Kirsten Dunst, Tina Fey, Will Smith, Liam Neeson, Amy Poehler, John C. Reilly, Kayne West and Billie Joe Armstrong

vCash
    Catching Fire was just effing amazing. I'm still on a high. I think it was just as good as the first one and that the whole cast was totally on, particularly Lawrence, Claflin, and Malone. Whatever I said about Malone being cast, I take it back. She was perfect.

I am planning on seeing it at least one more time this weekend.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I thought "Catching Fire" was actually better than "Hunger Games," which I felt was both rushed and lacked the grit it needed. The violence is still pretty down-played compared to the books, but the anger and anxiety coursing through the novels are much better developed here, as are the minor characters in this movie.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sneak peak of the new thread below. Guess the movie based on the casts. Hope there's enough hints for you to figure out which movie fits with these casts. NO GOOGLING!!!

1. Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Matthew McConaughey, Kyle Chandler, Jon Favreau, Jean Dujardin, Rob Reiner, Jon Bernthal, Christine Ebersole, Joanna Lumley and Spike Jonze

2. Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Cate Blanchett, Benedict Cumberbatch, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Aidan Turner, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Stephen Fry, Billy Connolly and Ian Holm

3. Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, James Marsden, Dylan Baker, Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, Vince Vaughn, Fred Willard, Luke Wilson, Nicole Kidman, Chris Parnell, Jim Carrey, Sacha Baron Cohen, Drake, Kirsten Dunst, Tina Fey, Will Smith, Liam Neeson, Amy Poehler, John C. Reilly, Kayne West and Billie Joe Armstrong
    1) Wolf of Wall Street
    2) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    3) Anchorman 2

And I didn't need to Google any of them.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast