View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    vCash
    OK. This past weekend, I went w/ a friend to see the Carrie retread.

Eh.

I thought Julianne Moore gave a more nuanced performance as Margaret White than Piper Laurie did in '76. But Chloe Grace Moretz IMO overacted a bit, almost on the verge of Kabuki at times. Chloe looked like a superhero / super villain when she was using telekinesis, not a bullied schoolgirl. Her performance didn't hold a candle to Sissy Spacek's. The film also used more special effects which took away a little from the human story worth telling.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Some foreign language movies I've seen of late:

Stoning of Soraya M. - Starring Jim Caviezel and Shohreh Aghdashloo [24, House of Sand and Fog]. From imdb.com: "A drama set in 1986 Iran and centered on a man, Sahebjam, whose car breaks down in a remote village and enters into a conversation with Zahra, who relays to him the story about her niece, Soraya, whose arranged marriage to an abusive tyrant had a tragic ending." I thought this one was quite good, tough to watch though. Heavy subject matter, but excellently written, directed and acted.

The Counterfeiters - Winner of the 2008 Oscar for best foreign language film. It's a war drama which "is the true story of the largest counterfeiting operation in history, set up by the Nazis in 1936." A new way for me to view what happened during World War II, how Jews were treated. Not a light movie of course, but it didn't bog me down like some historicals drama have. A thumbs up to this one.

Lemon Tree - This one is good enough to have received an Oscar nomination for foreign language film...but did not. I highly recommend it though. Imdb.com summary: "The story of a Palestinian widow who must defend her lemontree field when a new Israeli Defense Minister moves next to her and threatens to have her lemon grove torn down." The two lead actresses really made this movie. Perfectly acted, almost giving it a documentary feel with such realistic performances.

Farewell My Concubine (with Gong Li) - I have been meaning to see this movie for forever. This one received two Oscar nominations, for cinematography and foreign language film. It was REALLY tough to get into. It's almost three hours long and the first half focussed on the characters as children, where a lot of abusive acts were committed against the boys. So I watched half an hour and then waited a few days before watching another half hour, until the half-way point. Then the movie changed for me, picked up steam and became much more interesting (or maybe less painful?). The fourth of four that I recommend, but you have to be in the right frame of mind to watch this one. Well, the first half anyway.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Some foreign language movies I've seen of late:

Stoning of Soraya M. - Starring Jim Caviezel and Shohreh Aghdashloo [24, House of Sand and Fog]. From imdb.com: "A drama set in 1986 Iran and centered on a man, Sahebjam, whose car breaks down in a remote village and enters into a conversation with Zahra, who relays to him the story about her niece, Soraya, whose arranged marriage to an abusive tyrant had a tragic ending." I thought this one was quite good, tough to watch though. Heavy subject matter, but excellently written, directed and acted.
    Oh yes, incredibly tough to watch. But I agree, it's worth worth watching at least once.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    We don't have an Academy Awards thread yet, but I did want to point out that France chose "Renoir" over "La Vie d'Adele (Blue is the Warmest Colour)" as their Best Foreign Film entry for this year.

vCash
    I finally finished up with the Twilight series. Breaking Dawn Part Two is much better than part one, but that's not necessarily saying much. The first part was pretty empty, so this one seemed jam-packed. The final battle scene was very well done and the twist was even better. Probably could have spent my time better than watching all of this series, but it was a cultural phenomenon, so I couldn't resist.

vCash
    Maleficent trailer. I hope the film will be good.

vCash
    Doesn't matter if it's good or not; Sharlto Copley's in it, so it's in my calendar already.

having a nice day
    vCash
    "The Counterfeiters" is grrreat. I think I've seen it at least four times. Very interesting story and great actors and at times it's pretty funny.

I watched "The Stoning of Soraya M." exactly once. It's incredibly cruel on many levels. It's also incredibly enlightening. I wish everyone in the world was required to watch it once.
    Have a nice day!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Two oldies worth mentioning: The General (Buster Keaton, 1926). It's clear from this movie why he was a superstar of early cinema. It's quite amazing that a movie almost 100 years old holds up so well. Keaton was a master of stunts and action, but equally great at comedy as well.

Babes In Arms (1939, Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Margaret Hamilton) - I think this is the first Rooney/Garland musical I've seen. At least all the way through, anyway. It's quite good, the leads are charming (as expected) and it's nice to see Hamilton on screen in anything! One thing that surprised me was seeing the young cast perform a number in blackface. I'm choosing to remember Judy singing "Where Or When". Can't find a youtube clip of it, but here's the two of them singing it together years later on Judy Garland's tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    Libeled Lady has one of the funniest physical comedy scenes you've never heard of, William Powell fly-fishing shouldn't be missed. I also loved Manhattan Melodrama which is a melodrama, but still
    I've added Libeled Lady to my list, but I just watched the trailer for Manhattan Melodrama and think it's a bit too much like some melodramas that I've seen lately and I'm pretty much full up on that type of movie. For now, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    It's mini-mini-mini Tom Cruise fest this week-the library only had ONE of his films :"Minority Report." I saw it when it was in theatre way back when...and only remembered I saw it because the power went out 3/4 of the through. So. Now I've actually watched it and its like welcome to the hell of our near future. Yikes!!! Let's do all we can to change the future eys! Precrime DOESN'T work!!
    That was a great movie. In addition to Cruise, the cast of Colin Farrell, Samantha Morton, Max von Sydow, Neal McDonough...and in smaller roles, Tim Blake Nelson, Arye Gross, Joel Gretsch, Frank Grillo, Jessica Capshaw. An embarrassment of riches!!

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Count me as another lover of Down with Love. Such delightful, tongue-in-cheek fun, and utterly gorgeous to look at. I still giggle thinking about those split-screen phonecall scenes.
    The costumes (especially for Renee) were amazing. On the DVD, one of the extras is about the costumes and you could tell that the designer was in heaven getting to do the work he did for this film!

vCash
    Just got back from seeing Thor. It was so funny! My theater was cracking up (granted there weren't many of us there tonight, but there was much laughter). And talk about an ending to put you back on your toes.

Also, Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston

Saw the trailer for Maleficent at least five times now. Angelina Jolie is Maleficent. Creepy laugh down pat. Why does it have to be so far away?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I've been seeing ads for Delivery Man all week and rolling my eyes every time -- as I do every time there's a completely unnecessary remake (in this case, of the charming, hilarious, and poignant Starbuck from a couple of years ago). But until I looked it up on imdb I hadn't realized it was Ken Scott remaking his own film! I'm not much of a Vince Vaughn fan, but the fact that it's the same writer/director makes me think it might not suck -- even if it does feel like cashing in. I doubt I'll bother to see it on the big screen, but when it comes out on DVD I'll probably check it out to compare with the original.

Meanwhile, I passed on a free preview to The Book Thief tonight. I'm still too jetlagged and was worried I'd fall asleep! Looking forward to seeing it later in the month, though.

vCash
    PeterG you make me wish I lived in Vancouver so I could partake in some of these great movies with you. I don't have Netflicks or anything. Is that how you watch all these old movies?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw "12 Years a Slave," and thought the acting was very powerful, but have mixed feelings about the movie over-all. I think I just really do not get director Steve McQueen's style at all. His movies ("Hunger," "Shame," and now this) have pretty emotional topics... but I found all these movies very detached and clinical. For me, that really worked against this film, which should have been so visceral and dramatic, but instead was like a graphic version of an A&E Biography special.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    PeterG you make me wish I lived in Vancouver so I could partake in some of these great movies with you. I don't have Netflicks or anything. Is that how you watch all these old movies?
    http://fvrl.bibliocommons.com/search?suppress=true&custom_query=formatcode%3A%22 DVD%22%20AND%20nw%3A[0%20TO%20180]&f_audience=adult&sort[field]=NEWLY_ACQUIRED&sort[type]=BIB_FIELDS&sort[direction]=descending&title=Movies&suppress=true

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I saw "12 Years a Slave," and thought the acting was very powerful, but have mixed feelings about the movie over-all. I think I just really do not get director Steve McQueen's style at all. His movies ("Hunger," "Shame," and now this) have pretty emotional topics... but I found all these movies very detached and clinical. For me, that really worked against this film, which should have been so visceral and dramatic, but instead was like a graphic version of an A&E Biography special.
    See my post above. I saw it also. I think the purpose of the cold, clinical feeling was to show that this was every day life in the South which is more insidious than what any element of drama could have added to the movie.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    See my post above. I saw it also. I think the purpose of the cold, clinical feeling was to show that this was every day life in the South which is more insidious than what any element of drama could have added to the movie.

I think it's just this director is completely limited in his film making ability. All his movies are exactly the same: detached, impersonal. Even if the intent was to show how horrible every day life in the south was, it would be nice if the viewer experienced a bit of catharsis.
    Last edited by peibeck; 11-15-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    The movie is like reading the cliff notes of a novel. You get all the salient points, but none of the emotional experience and discovery that comes with reading. Things that were riveting in the book (like Ender's development of strategy in the battle room) are so compressed and just given single lines, that it loses all it's impact. {{Bean *Sob*}}
    I finally watched Ender's Game on Tuesday... And yes, I see what you mean. I totally agree with the GST review. I definitely get what's going on, and I definitely didn't give a damn. That final revelation could have been cool, but instead, it fell flat.

Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I think moviegoers who have not read the book will perhaps appreciate the movie more.
    Well I don't feel the disappointment that the fans of the book feel, but I still think it's a pretty bad movie. The movies this year have been really disappointing

I hope Thor is better...

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Okay, so two weeks ago we look at 1940 in film. Let's jump ahead half a century or so and watch movies like it's 1999!!! Here's the Wikipedia entry for 1999 in film and the opening summary is:

The year 1999 in film involved several noteworthy events and has been called "The Year That Changed Movies".[1] Several significant feature films, including Stanley Kubrick's final film Eyes Wide Shut, Pedro Almodóvar's first Oscar-winning film All About My Mother, science fiction The Matrix, Deep Canvas-pioneering Tarzan, Best Picture-winner American Beauty, critically acclaimed animated works The Iron Giant, Toy Story 2 and South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman's breakout film Being John Malkovich, M. Night Shyamalan's breakout hit The Sixth Sense, the controversial Fight Club and Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia were released. The year also saw the release of Stuart Little, the first installment of the trilogy and George Lucas's top grossing Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Kimberly Peirce's Boys Don't Cry.
    The highest grossing movies of the year (directors of note after the movie title):

1 - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - George Lucas - $924,317,558
    2 - The Sixth Sense - M. Night Shyamalan - $672,806,292
    3 - Toy Story 2 - John Lasseter and Lee Unkrich - $485,015,179
    4 - The Matrix - Andy & Larry Wachowski - $460,379,930
    5 - Tarzan - $448,191,819
    6 - The Mummy - $415,933,406
    7 - Notting Hill - $363,889,678
    8 - The World Is Not Enough - Michael Apted - $361,832,400
    9 - American Beauty - Sam Mendes - $356,296,601
    10 - Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - Jay Roach - $312,016,858

Academy award winners:

Best Film: American Beauty
    Best Director: Sam Mendes, American Beauty
    Best Actor: Kevin Spacey, American Beauty
    Best Actress: Hilary Swank, Boys Don't Cry
    Best Supporting Actor: Michael Caine, The Cider House Rules
    Best Supporting Actress: Angelina Jolie, Girl, Interrupted
    Best Screenplay, Adapted: The Cider House Rules, John Irving
    Best Screenplay, Original: American Beauty, Alan Ball
    Best Score: The Red Violin, John Corigliano
    Best Foreign Language Film: All About My Mother

Other best picture awards:

Palme d'Or (Cannes Film Festival): Rosetta, directed by Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne, France / Belgium

Golden Lion (Venice Film Festival): Not One Less (Yi ge dou bu neng shao), directed by Zhang Yimou, China

Golden Bear (Berlin Film Festival): The Thin Red Line, directed by Terrence Malick, Canada / U.S.A.

Notable deaths:

February 20 - Gene Siskel
    March 7 - Stanley Kubrick
    May 2 - Oliver Reed
    May 8 - Dirk Bogarde
    June 11 - DeForest Kelley
    July 2 - Mario Puzo
    September 22 - George C. Scott
    December 3 - Madeline Kahn

Screen debuts:

Amy Adams - Drop Dead Gorgeous
    Zooey Deschanel - Mumford
    James Franco - Never Been Kissed
    Hugh Jackman - Paperback Hero
    Angus T. Jones - Simpatico
    Ashton Kutcher - Coming Soon
    Justin Long - Galaxy Quest
    Emily Osment - The Secret Life of Girls
    Seann William Scott - American Pie

Other 1999 movies of note:

Hilary and Jackie
    Rushmore
    Office Space
    Analyze This
    Cruel Intentions
    Election
    An Ideal Husband
    The Blair Witch Project
    Bowfinger
    Double Jeopardy
    Three Kings
    The Green Mile
    Man On The Moon
    The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Angela's Ashes
    The Hurricane
    Last edited by PeterG; 11-15-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    The movie of 1999 that had the biggest impact on me was the Chinese language "Not One Less" (which won the Golden Lion award the Venice Film Festival). It's a wondrous, beautiful, heartbreaking masterful movie. I believe almost everyone in the cast were amateurs (if not all of them). So there's realism in what we see on the film, but not so much that the movie has a stitled feel of those not really talented enough to carry a movie. Everyone does a brilliant acting job, especially the young Minzhi Wei in the title role who carries the picture. According to imdb.com, "Not One Less" is her first and last movie. What a shame... :wuzrobbbed

My second highlight would be the directorial debut of Kimberly Peirce with "Boys Don't Cry". She's only directed two movies since then Stop-Loss and this year's "Carrie", both of which I recommend. Please Ms. Peirce, direct more than one movie every half decade!!

A close highlight to #2 is M. Night Shyamalan's breakthough in movies. I know he's quite disliked here at FSU but I've enjoyed everything he has done. I love fantastical movies and he always does something new, wild and different and I'm always entertained by his movies. I know many others have been disappointed in his work, but I never have.

I was happy to see Angelina Jolie win an Oscar, I wish she had been nominated for 2007's "A Mighty Heart", I feel that movie and her performance in it were underrated.

I love Pedro Almodóvar, but I waited too long to see All About My Mother, so my expectations grew year after year and so when I saw it recently I was rather disappointed. I don't consider it one of his better films.

And lastly, Double Jeopardy when Ashley Judd was perhaps at her peak playing kick-ass heroines. Loved her in this one as well as "Kiss The Girls".

vCash
    Thanks for all that PeterG! That was quite the trip down memory lane.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast