View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    Just saw Ender's Game with my 16 year old son. We both love the books.

I've never seen such a faithful adaptation of a novel succeed so well at destroying everything that made the book awesome. It was torture. My son was so upset, he was almost crying.

eta- This review describes the move aptly. - http://www.goseetalk.com/g-s-t-review-enders-game-2/
    Last edited by rjblue; 11-02-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    A short while ago someone started a thread about the movies released in 1939. I thought I'd continue that theme in the movies thread and take up where they left off and look at 1940. When I remember, I'll bring up a different year towards the end of the week. I won't do it in chronological order but jump all over the place to keep everybody involved (as not all of us are into older films). So...1940 in film (Wikipedia link). Here's some info from that page:

Events:

February 7 - Walt Disney's animated film Pinocchio is released.
    February 10 - Tom and Jerry make their debut in the animated cartoon Puss Gets the Boot.
    May - A reproduction of "America's First Movie Studio", Thomas Edison's Black Maria, is constructed.
    July 27 - Bugs Bunny makes his official debut in the animated cartoon A Wild Hare.
    November 13 - World premiere of Walt Disney's Fantasia, the first film to be released in a multichannel sound format (see Fantasound). The film also marked the first use of the click track while recording the soundtrack, overdubbing of orchestral parts, simultaneous multitrack recording and lead to the development of a multichannel surround system.
    December 5 - Release of The Thief of Bagdad, pioneering the use of chroma key effects.
    In the United Kingdom, the Crown Film Unit supersedes the GPO Film Unit in the production of documentary films.
    The top 20 grossing films of 1940:

1. Boom Town - Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy
    2. North West Mounted Police - Gary Cooper, Madeleine Carroll, Paulette Goddard
    3. The Great Dictator - Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard
    4. The Philadelphia Story - Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart
    5. The Grapes of Wrath - Henry Fonda
    6.Rebecca - Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine
    7. Strike Up the Band - Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney
    8.Northwest Passage - Spencer Tracy, Robert Young
    9. The Fighting 69th - James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, George Brent
    10. The Sea Hawk - Errol Flynn
    11. Tin Pan Alley - Alice Faye, Betty Grable
    12. Santa Fe Trail - Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Ronald Reagan
    13. Andy Hardy Meets Debutante - Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone, Judy Garland
    14. Kitty Foyle - Ginger Rogers, Dennis Morgan
    15. My Favorite Wife - Irene Dunne, Cary Grant
    16. Virginia City - Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins
    17. Road to Singapore - Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour
    18. I Love You Again - William Powell, Myrna Loy
    19. All This, and Heaven Too - Bette Davis, Charles Boyer
    20. Comrade X - Clark Gable, Hedy Lamarr

The major Academy Award winners for 1940:

Best Picture: Rebecca - David O. Selznick, United Artists
    Best Director: John Ford - The Grapes of Wrath
    Best Actor: James Stewart - The Philadelphia Story
    Best Actress: Ginger Rogers - Kitty Foyle
    Best Supporting Actor: Walter Brennan - The Westerner
    Best Supporting Actress: Jane Darwell - The Grapes of Wrath
    Famous people born in 1940:

January 10 - Walter Hill, American director, producer and screenwriter
    January 22 - John Hurt, English actor
    January 27 - James Cromwell, American actor
    January 29 - Katharine Ross, American actress
    February 4 - George A. Romero, American director, producer and screenwriter
    February 23 - Peter Fonda, American actor
    March 9 - Raúl Juliá, Puerto Rican actor (died 1994)
    March 10 - Chuck Norris, American actor and martial artist
    March 26 - James Caan, American actor
    April 25 - Al Pacino, American actor
    May 5 - Lance Henriksen, American actor
    May 15 - Lainie Kazan, American actress and singer
    July 13 - Patrick Stewart, English actor
    July 18 - James Brolin, American actor
    August 3 - Martin Sheen, American actor
    August 19 - Jill St. John, American actress
    September 5 - Raquel Welch, American actress
    September 11 - Brian De Palma, American director, producer and screenwriter
    October 19 - Michael Gambon, Irish-born British actor
    November 5 - Elke Sommer, German actress
    November 15 - Sam Waterston, American actor
    November 27 - Bruce Lee, Chinese-American martial artist and actor (died 1973)
    December 1 - Richard Pryor, American comedian and actor (died 2005)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    My thoughts about 1940:

Movies I've seen: The Philadelphia Story (hilarious!!), Kitty Foyle (Ginger Rogers shines!), The Grapes of Wrath (saw this a LONG time ago, can hardly remember it so I should watch it again at some point).

Movies I've been meaning to see: Rebecca and The Great Dictator. I should see My Favorite Wife at some point is Cary Grant is so amazing, but I've seen a lot of his movies the last few years, so I need to save some of his stuff for later.

I've never heard of "I Love You Again", assumed it was a Thin Man movie because of William Powell, Myrna Loy. Checked it out and found out they made 14 movies together! William Powell and Myrna Loy - The Perfect Screen Couple I think I've only seen them in The Thin Man together...

Fantasia is listed at Wikipedia of not making the top 20 for the year for box office. (It's listed as #28.) I just watched Fantasia 2000 recently and in the DVD extras it's mentioned that Fantasia flopped originally and only made money years later through videocassette sales and rentals. And that Walt Disney was heartbroken that the movie originally flopped. I thought the 2000 release was fine but didn't really captivate me like I had hoped. I think it was basically meant to introduce children to more classical music. An inspirational endeavour, and the animation is good of course but I guess I need more of a story rather than great music and great visuals.

Oscar talk. Rebecca won best picture over Our Town, The Philadelphia Story, The Grapes of Wrath and The Great Dictator. John Ford won best director for The Grapes of Wrath over George Cukor (The Philadelphia Story) and Alfred Hitchcock (Rebecca). James Stewart won best actor (The Philadelphia Story) over Henry Fonda – The Grapes of Wrath, Laurence Olivier – Rebecca and Charlie Chaplin – The Great Dictator. Ginger Rogers won best actress (Kitty Foyle) over Joan Fontaine – Rebecca, Katharine Hepburn – The Philadelphia Story and Bette Davis – The Letter. Donald Ogden Stewart won best adapted screenplay for The Philadelphia Story over Nunnally Johnson for The Grapes of Wrath, Robert E. Sherwood and Joan Harrison for Rebecca and Dalton Trumbo for Kitty Foyle. So which of these wins do you agree with...and which do you think the Academy got wrong? My only thought is that maybe Stewart won partly due to a great performance, but partly due to having been making moves for 10 years?? (I'm happy he won, by the way, just that he had a lot of good competition that year. Same thoughts/feelings about Ginger Rogers.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Stage Door with Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers. A pre-I Love Lucy Lucille Ball had a bit part in it, she wasn't bad. But Ginger Rogers is a revelation in this. Hepburn is quite fabulous as well. BRILLIANT dialogue and the repartee between the two female leads is amazing. Why can't there be some movies today that have such incredible banter between really smart characters. This is really missing in films of today.
    I love Stage Door, haven't seen it in ages. I think the last time was when my best friend and I watched it together. I should definitely watch it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    My thoughts about 1940:

Movies I've seen: The Philadelphia Story (hilarious!!), Kitty Foyle (Ginger Rogers shines!), The Grapes of Wrath (saw this a LONG time ago, can hardly remember it so I should watch it again at some point).

I've never heard of "I Love You Again", assumed it was a Thin Man movie because of William Powell, Myrna Loy. Checked it out and found out they made 14 movies together! William Powell and Myrna Loy - The Perfect Screen Couple I think I've only seen them in The Thin Man together...
    The Philadelphia Story is once of my favourite movies. I nearly watched it tonight then decided on Father Goose instead because it's my mum's movie and I figured I should give it back. There are so many lines from that movie I can quote. I especially like the I'm going crazy line from the end of the movie. I use it on Facebook sometimes to confuse people who haven't seen the movie.

It just clicked reading this that I have never seen a Ginger Rogers movie. I've seen Fred Astaire movies but never one with Ginger Rogers. I'm not sure how I managed that.

I'll have to try and find I Love You Again. I've always enjoyed William Powell and Myrna Loy. Seeing them together was pretty much that only thing that made the last two Thin Man movies tolerable because everything else was fairly lackluster.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I've never seen such a faithful adaptation of a novel succeed so well at destroying everything that made the book awesome.
    How could it still be a faithful adaptation of the novel if it destroys everything that made the book awesome?

I have not read the book, and I'm planning to watch it on Tuesday... so I'll read the review after that

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I watched Bridegroom tonight. Even though I knew the story already it was still heartbreaking and being a married gay man, it really hits home.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    How could it still be a faithful adaptation of the novel if it destroys everything that made the book awesome?
    The movie is like reading the cliff notes of a novel. You get all the salient points, but none of the emotional experience and discovery that comes with reading. Things that were riveting in the book (like Ender's development of strategy in the battle room) are so compressed and just given single lines, that it loses all it's impact. {{Bean *Sob*}}

I"m glad that I watched most of the Harry Potter movies before I read the books. They were good adaptations, for the most part, but knowing the entire scope of Deathly Hallows made the movie pale in comparison, and this was MUCH worse.

I think moviegoers who have not read the book will perhaps appreciate the movie more. Also, although many reviewers are speculating that they plan sequels if this is a success, readers of the books are scratching their heads, because unless they made up a completely new story, there is no sequel that could be made into a film from the characters in this movie.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Thank you for the explanation, rjblue

vCash
    Fun idea, PeterG! I adore The Philadelphia Story, even though some parts are a little dated. (Every time Tracy's smug self-righteous pig of a father walks in, I long for someone to haul off and deck him.)

I'm afraid I thought Kitty Foyle was pretty bad. Ginger did not deserve that Oscar. Not that she was bad -- she just wasn't as good as the other nominees. And she was in a sucky movie. I do think Jimmy deserved his, though. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I stand by it. Henry was great, yes, but Jimmy was beyond great. The drunk scenes alone, particularly the scene at Cary Grant's house, earned it for him. (He also should have had the 1939 one, but at least he got this one!)

Let's see, what else . . . Grapes was good, but so depressing I haven't felt any desire to watch it again. Rebecca was okay -- well acted and directed, but not the most faithful of adaptations. Hard to believe it's the only Hitchcock film ever to win Best Picture. My Favorite Wife was fun, and All This and Heaven Too was soapy and silly, but worth watching if you like Bette Davis. I haven't yet seen any of the others. I've seen some of the other Road to . . . films, but not Road to Singapore, I think.

PeterG, if you haven't yet seen any Powell/Loy other than The Thin Man, try Libeled Lady -- it's fantastic! Oh, and have you seen the rest of the Thin Man films? The second one is as good as the first, IMO -- maybe even a little better. The quality went downhill after that, but they were always fun to watch.

Oh, and I love Bugs Bunny.

(Nell411, Father Goose is awesome. "Married? Goody Two-Shoes and the Filthy Beast??" is one of my favorite movie lines EVER. )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    So I've just spent pretty much the entire day lounging on the sofa, sans trousers, eating candy, drinking tea, and watching the original (but subsequently "improved") Star Wars trilogy.
    I think I need to get me a box set some day, I'd forgotten how much fun these films actually are. And now I have another point on my filmmaking To Do-list: a properly epic trilogy, sci-fi or fantasy or some other fantastic genre, that ISN'T based on any existing books, comics, games, or whatever. I like the idea of having the audience go into the cinema without any clue about what kind of characters they're going to meet, or even which side's going to win, and how.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    (Nell411, Father Goose is awesome. "Married? Goody Two-Shoes and the Filthy Beast??" is one of my favorite movie lines EVER. )
    I laughed so hard at that line. It had been so long since I had seen it that I had forgotten how good it was. And admittedly when I first saw it I was to young to really understand a lot of the humour. A problem I've had with a lot of the movies I grew up watching. It's kind of fun to go back and see how much more sense movies make now.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    I just returned from seeing '12 Years a Slave'

WOW.

It is rightfully a worthy antithesis to the iconographic GWTW. The South is not a place of charm and etiquette. It is a place of evil, banal. It should affect your thinking about American History. You will also not look at the use of the whip or a noose the same way

vCash
    I watched some previews yesterday on IMDB that look promising.

Labor Day - Stars Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin. A recently widowed woman is kinda-sorta kidnapped by an escaped convict. He isn't so bad and she doesn't quite seem to mind. Looks really promising.

Neighbors - Stars Seth Myers and Zac Efron. A family discovers that a fraternity is moving in to the house next door and all hell breaks loose. It looks pretty funny.

The Broken Circle Breakdown - I don't recognize any of the actors. The actors sing bluegrass a lot in the preview and I think that is central to the story. It is about a married couple trying to save their relationship when they discover their daughter has some kind of illness. The preview with all the music was really powerful.

Last Days on Mars - Stars Live Schrieber. A team is working on Mars when suddenly people begin falling violently ill. Gave me a definite Aliens vibe.

To Do List - Cast of C and B list actors. A graduating valedictorian goes off to college but not before making a list of sexual things she must do first. It looks both hilarious and awful at the same time. Lots of people from SNL movies and cast.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Henry Fonda may have been great in The Grapes of Wrath, but whenever I think of that film, it's Jane Darwell who always comes to mind, first and foremost.

vCash
    That how I feel about The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Maggie Smith is wonderful in it, but my favorite performance is actually Pamela Franklin's, hands down. I thought she outshone Smith and deserved more accolades than she got.

vCash
    I just saw Thor - The Dark World. It was a bit silly, and quite entertaining, and had what may be the funniest end fight I've ever seen. I'm glad I didn't see it in 3D though, some of the action was hard enough to follow as it was. And I wanted more Eccleston, damnit!

ETA: there are two stingers; one mid credit, and one at the very end. But it's a Marvel film, y'all should know this by now.
    Last edited by Sofia Alexandra; 11-03-2013 at 10:01 PM.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    More Tom Cruise!! "Oblivion" had special feature thingy on it that had a not too comprehensive look back at all his films. I looked up his filmography and iirc there were only two I'd never seen-"legend" and "war of the worlds" which the library had in stock today. Someone else seems to be having a Tom cruise mini-fest too lol so I got what I could:"risky business," "far and away," and "M:I: ghost protocol." I wanted "magnolia" just because it's such a great film all around but ....
    From my pre-moving "okay some of this has to go" sort out I watched for the umteenth time "faranelli"-one of the most famous castratos ever. Sex, opera intrigues, Handel, a solar eclipse, elaborate costumes, and more!! I don't think I can throw it out. It's too much fun ;-)

I
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Oh and if you want to see the best film ever of born in 1940 bruce lee search youtube for "one inch punch" the real thing better than all his films altho it's not funny haha like his films are.
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    War of the Worlds (with Tom Cruise) is one of my favorite movies. I don't know why but I can watch it over and over and over.
    -Brian

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Not a big surprise to see Ender's Game take the #1 spot on this week's box office chart. But only 28 million? With a budget of 110 million and an advertising budget probably close to that, I bet the studio is praying that this one will take off overseas - where it's only taken in 3 million... Bad Grandpa took in 20 million at #2 for a 62 two-week total (on a 15 million budget). I wouldn't be surprised if there will be more naughty Grandpa stunts in the future. Or maybe a Bad Grandma (probably not...I think the Knoxville camp is pretty much a boy's club). Last Vegas and Free Birds come in at #3 and #4, both with approximately 16 million. Good news for the former with a 28 million budget, less so for Free Birds with a 55 million budget. Maybe DVD sales will help the latter be the winner of the two in the long haul? Dallas Buyer's Club opened outside the top 20 - but it was only at nine theatres! What isn't funny is the whopping $30,000 per theatre revenue. People must have been sitting on each other's laps!

New movies this upcoming weekend below, ones trailers have been posted for already are in bold. The Book Thief apparently has been bumped up a week. Strange to go up against Thor, but this is good counter-programming. Maybe it means The Book Thief has gotten such good word of mouth that they're less scared of a potential thumping from Thor? Great Expectation is listed last because it was included earlier when it had a Canadian release, so this week is the American release. Next to last is The Starving Games, I so wanted to like this Hunger Games parody, but the trailer looks awful, IMHO.

November 8th - Thor: The Dark World - Action Sci-Fi with Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Zachary Levi, Stellan Skarsgård, Anthony Hopkins, Ray Stevenson, Christopher Eccleston, Kat Dennings, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Rene Russo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j41qNcjDoc8
    28 million views

November 8th - The Book Thief - Drama with Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dRuGwS1gWU
    1.4 million views

November 8 The Armstrong Lie – Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary chronicling sports legend Lance Armstrong's improbable rise and ultimate fall from grace.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx3KJn8r8y0

November 8 Reaching for the Moon – Biographical romantic drama with Miranda Otto and Treat Williams
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654X8V2bwA0

November 8 How I Live Now – Action thriller with Saoirse Ronan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSaxm68PPT4

November 8 Best Man Down – Comedy drama with Justin Long, Tyler Labine and Shelley Long
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPY5ZCD9YU
    One million views

November 8 Ass Backwards – Comedy with Jon Cryer, Alicia Silverstone, Vincent D'Onofrio and Bob Odenkirk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cZuX2M_D-8

November 6 A Case of You – Romantic comedy with Evan Rachel Wood , Sam Rockwell, Sienna Miller, Peter Dinklage, Vince Vaughn. Brendan Miller, Justin Long
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_koqmtHes

November 8 The Motel Life – Dramatic thriller with Emile Hirsch, Stephen Dorff, Kris Kristofferson and Dakota Fanning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcIEoYsnww

November 6 A Perfect Man – Drama with Jeanne Tripplehorn, Liev Schreiber and Louise Fletcher
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AWM97IRjts

November 8 Go For Sisters – Crime thriller with Edward James Olmos, LisaGay Hamilton, Harold Perrineau and Isaiah Washington
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdK8Ah7rs2E

November 8 The Ghosts in Our Machine – Documentary. From imdb.com: “…illuminates the lives of individual animals living within and rescued from the machine of our modern world.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTQpZxqHKU

November 8 The Starving Games – Comedy with Brant Daugherty and Diedrich Bader
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8yOSMspR1k

November 8 Great Expectations – Romantic drama with Jeremy Irvine, Ralph Fiennes, Sally Hawkins, Robbie Coltrane, Jason Flemyng and Helena Bonham Carter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RUEgT9zcc

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast