View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    If you watch "all that heaven allows" first then "far from heaven" makes more sense. BTW rock hudson is reeeally gd in "all that heaven allows"
    At chez moi it's a Tom Cruise mini-fest whee!
    "Knight and Day" ignore the trailer, watch the film. It's a fun enjoyable v whee! action/comedy/romance -that sound like an awful mashup but it works perfectly in this film. Tom AND Cameron do some amazzzzing stunts which makes their performance s just that much more whee! Whee!!!
    "Oblivion" has great movie music and I found the plot v intriguing. And Tom is v believable in his role.
    2 more to watch back soon...
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Watch "the impossible" for the performance of the young actor who plays the oldest son. It's thru his eyes the story is best told. That was one hell of a performance from that guy.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I got tickets for "Nebraska," "Philomena, " and "August: Osage County" next month during the St. Louis Int'l Film Festival. I get to see "Philomena" and ""AOC" back to back, so that will be a day of amazing actresses! Whee!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Tw...

I am dying to see Meryl in AOC! Please share your opinions!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Three recent viewings:

The Crossing Guard (Jack Nicholson, Angelica Houston, David Morse, Robin Wright, Piper Laurie, Robbie Robertson, John Savage and directed by Sean Penn) - I agree with the posters at imdb.com that this is a slow movie. But it's just as GOOD as it is SLOW. I did watch it at double time a lot, not because it was bad in any way. Quite the contrary, I definitely recommend this movie. Great script about a man coming to terms with the death of his child...and with the man who killed her in a drunk driving accident. Bonus: Bruce Springsteen's song Missing at the beginning and ending of the movie. One of his best!!

China Syndrome (Jane Fonda, Michael Douglas, Jack Lemmon and Wilford Brimely) - A bit dated, but still pretty good. And a real pleasure to see Jack Lemmon on screen, he's definitely a movieland treasure.

Cursed (Christina Ricci, Jesse Eisenberg, Joshua Jackson, Portia De Rossi, Milo Ventimiglia, Shannon Elizabeth and Mya) - A disappointment. But if you want a rather schlocky B-movie horror flick...well, that's what you're getting! I discovered at imdb.com that either the studio or the producers weren't happy with the movie, so production got delayed and the delay stretched 12 to 18 months as they re-wrote and re-shot parts of the movie. But in that time, most of the cast moved on to new projects, so possibly the better material ended up disposed of and a lesser cast was hired to finish up a (possibly) very different movie. One of those that makes you wonder "what might have been"...

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. I loved the music, hated the camerawork, and was completely unmoved by the story and the characters. Although the fact that I got up at 2:30 AM to go to work, which then proceeded to last for 13 hours, might have something to do with that. My brain was quite sluggish when I watched the film.
    I loooooooved this movie. Sometimes when I'm not in a great mood and I'm not enjoying a movie, I stop watching it and go do something else. If my mood is bad enough, I'm not sure if it's the movie that's foul...or just me! I just thought that Beast of the Southern Wild was an AMAZING movie. Such great performances and something we've never seen before. Can't recommend this one enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    .....I didn't mind the blood and gore in Jurassic Park, because dinosaurs are awesome, but human skeletons scared me, which is why Mars Attacks is the only film I've ever walked out on. I still haven't seen the whole film...
    Now this one we agree one. Mars Attack I did manage to see through to the end, but looking back on it, my thought is, "were there no GOOD movies for you to watch instead? And if not, were they no AVERAGE movies for you to watch??"
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Mars Attacks lost me when they killed the golden retriever. I didn't walk out because I was there with a husband and two kids but that scene coalesced my abhorrence for that movie.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Saw Dallas Buyers Club last night, and while there were some holes in the storytelling (there always are in films based on real events), the performances were incredible. Matthew McConaughey was unrecognizable and I mean that in the best way. Any films that take place in the '80s tend to rely on OTT hair and fashion, and I've seen a few recently (coincidentally both about the beginnings of the HIV/AIDS epidemic) that capture the look very well without going overboard. Jared Leto also made a character that could have been a cartoon into something far more. Only Jennifer Garner's hair was unconvincing And it bugged that everyone referred to Rayon as "he" - even Dr Saks, but perhaps that was how it went back in the day.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I found a Meryl Streep movie I had never heard of before called "Dark Matter". Aidan Quinn is also in it. It's about a Chinese exchange student and how the pressures of family and schooling affect him. Streep's part in it is important, but smaller than I expected. But it's still a good movie, one that stays with you for a while...a bit haunting.

Puncture with Chris Evans was really good. Great to see him in a movie that allows him to show more depth than the superhero movies (which I like, BTW). This one is pretty intense so if you want something frivilous to veg out to, this would not be it!!

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    I saw "dark matter" a while back. It was v interesting. I do recommend it.
    Continuing Tom Cruise mini-fest:
    "Jack Reacher"-average. I just didn't find the story too interesting. Hated the leading lady-I realize she's been an actress quite a while but ...why. she's about as compelling to watch as paint dry and she and tom had zero chemistry. The actor that played emerson tho-he was compelling to watch even when he wasn't saying a thing. He can act with his face and body language v well. Seeing robert duvall was grreat-and he had the best lines lol. I do not recommend this movie.
    "M:I:III"-I meant to get "ghost protocol" but I screwed up. However I wasn't displeased. This film was pretty gd all around. Gd balance between action, intrigue, and dialogue. Having great other actors like billy cruddup and ving rhames and phillip seymour hoffman was a real bonus. Oh and lawrence fishburne too! Tom looks like he had a lot of fun making this film and the stunts he does-does he work out 12 hours a day or something?! He's incredibly fit for his age. I do recommend thus film.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I saw a movie from 1932 a while back called Freaks. It's about a group of circus performers and it might be most famous for being a long-banned movie because it features a cast of many....how to word this....differently-abled people. I like this bit from a user review at imdb.com:

Tod Browning (the director) of course asks us to consider who are the bigger freaks: those with deformed bodies or those with deformed souls? The two "normal" people who are out to cheat and steal are monstrous, whereas the freaks are quite likable and charming.
    I definitely recommend this one not only because it's unlike anything I think a movie has ever done before or after, but because the story itself is quite interesting, the performances are good and it's interesting to see people so often hidden from us and it challenges us to think about what/who we see and how we feel about it all. I'd definitely be interested in what anyone thinks of this movie if you decide to watch it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I thought Maniac was a great film. Very gory and violent but quite a great film. One of the better horror movies. I felt guilty and responsible because the movie is filmed from the killers perspective. That was an interesting twist and made this film scary in a totally different way.
    That's why I made the barf bag comment. I like horror/thriller movies, but stuff that's both realistic and gruesome...that's too much for me. Your recommendation is drawing me in, but I'm still kindly declining this one!

Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    I really enjoyed Captain Phillips.
    I forgot to mention that when I saw Carrie, my friends said they had seen this and they LOVED it. Very tense and on-the-edge-of-your-seat kind of movie (in the best possible way).

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Seeing "Thor" ... next week. Will let you know my thoughts!
    Any Hemsorth nekkid-ness (like in the first one)?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    So I've been fortunate to screen "Dallas Buyers Club," "Free Birds" and "Thor: The Dark World" in the last week.

As others have written, "Dallas" is full of powerful performances. The physical transformations are shocking. There's a scene where Matthew McConaughey's scene where his hospital gown flies up and you can see how much weight he's lost. There's also a gratuitous butt shot too lol. Jared Leto underwent an even more drastic change.

"Free Birds" was not what I expected at all. Time traveling turkeys ... who would've thought? I thought it was quite fun.

"Thor: The Dark World" was silly but satisfying. My biggest gripe is that some scenes are total "Star Wars" rip-offs, including one lifted straight from one of the video game trailers. The humor comes at odd times. Kat Dennings steals the show.

There are two post-credits, neither of which is really worth staying for.

And there's one slow pan of shirtless Chris washing himself, for those of you who asked.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Kat Dennings steals the show.
    I love those words. I've been a massive fan of Kat Dennings for years and she couldn't make me like 2 Broke Girls so I love when she does other things. And she pretty much owned the first Thor movie, along with Tom Hiddleston.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    "Thor: The Dark World" was silly but satisfying. My biggest gripe is that some scenes are total "Star Wars" rip-offs, including one lifted straight from one of the video game trailers. The humor comes at odd times. Kat Dennings steals the show.
    So I'm assuming she has more (important) parts in this movie? How prominent is Loki in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I love those words. I've been a massive fan of Kat Dennings for years and she couldn't make me like 2 Broke Girls so I love when she does other things. And she pretty much owned the first Thor movie, along with Tom Hiddleston.
    Um? I barely remember her being in the first movie... I do, however, agree that Tom Hiddleston stole the show.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I really want to see "Dallas Buyer's Club" after all these raves. (Although sometimes I am more disappointed after all the build up... although that tends to happen more often with "popcorn" movies than dramas/indies, I think.)

I think "Dark Matters" is the only live-action Meryl Streep movie I've never seen, and it's not on Netflix streaming in the US. It was only released in a handful of theatres in North America, so very under the radar. Maybe I can find a good used copy cheap on Amazon or E-Bay.

Speaking of dark... I just read they scheduled "Dark Places" with Charlize Theron (based on an awesome book) for September 1, 2014. Ugh, a kiss-of-death date for U.S. box office at that time of year.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    So I'm assuming she has more (important) parts in this movie? How prominent is Loki in this one?

Um? I barely remember her being in the first movie... I do, however, agree that Tom Hiddleston stole the show.
    "The Dark World" definitely has an ensemble feel.

The "humans" (Portman, Dennings, Skarsgaard, newcomer Jonathan Howard) are more prevalent/central to the plot than The Warriors Three (I prefer Josh Dallas over blond Zach Levi, too).

Dennings has some great one-liners, and a relationship of her own!

And Hiddleston features prominently in the film. Good to see him get some action scenes, too.

vCash
    Thanks all_empty It sounds promising... I can't wait!

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    I saw "freaks" a hell of a long time ago at...you'll love it...an elementary school classroom that had become an arthouse thetre for just that one night...because no theatre in town would showthis film, not even to a private audience. I have no idea how the elementary school consents to the showing but I sort of got the feeling maybe they didn't, not outright. It was pretty weird watching this strange and wondrous film sitting rather squished and small in a kid-sized desk-chair. But that did help give you some empathetic resonance. I don't think I want to see it again ever because I got its point loud and clear. It is very.much worth watching even if you have to search high and low for it.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    I remember now. This was 30 some odd yrs ago ya unnerstand. It was one of my psychology professors who set the whole thing up. Maybe his wife worked at the elementary school? And not only that he or she or whomever it was had to have a protectionist too because that film was on reels and we got mini-breaks when the reels were changed. How my prof got the film who knows. Buthe was v gd instructor and probably thought this film was a fast easy and utterly marvelous way to get us to think -rethink-the concept of "normal."

There were a lot of people there for a word of mouth thing, most likely because we all guessed we'd never have the opportunity to see "freaks" again. This isn't nyc or la ya know lol. LOL oh soooo not even!

Annnnnd back on topic I watched "oblivion" again and liked it even more the 2nd time around.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Our now retired Minister always goes to Cinefest, Sudbury's annual Film Festival, and he came back this year saying something I'd never heard him say before. He didn't see anything awful or was a waste of his time, but that everything he saw was excellent and he'd gladly see again. He's been going for close to 20yrs now and he said that was the general opinion of everyone that he talked to as well.

He was up for the annual dinner we host for our friends headed South for the Winter, but just as we got talking, my loud mouth Cousin, who is also super hyper, arrived and that was it for the rest of the night as far as conversation went for anyone for the rest of the evening. Before that, he did manage to mention Dallas Buyer's Club and that he thought it was going to be big come Awards Season. Also that it is one very powerful movie.

I love movies like that, so will have to hope I get a chance to see it in a theatre. Not likely, but you never know. I am on two different lists for Ortho Surgery in Toronto after all, so maybe....

(I've got to take advantage of the rare times I'm w/in the same area of a theatre, so...)

vCash
    Two oldies, one I loved and one that I (sacreligiously?) thought was just :meh:

Stage Door with Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers. A pre-I Love Lucy Lucille Ball had a bit part in it, she wasn't bad. But Ginger Rogers is a revelation in this. Hepburn is quite fabulous as well. BRILLIANT dialogue and the repartee between the two female leads is amazing. Why can't there be some movies today that have such incredible banter between really smart characters. This is really missing in films of today.

And White Heat with James Cagney was the other one. I thought it was well directed and the pacing was good, but the melodramatic acting style of the time was just too over-the-top with this one. And the big finale seemed really dated as far as stunts go. I just looked up the years these two movies were released and White Heat came out twelve years after Stage Door. But 1937's Stage Door feels really crisp and new but 1949's White Heat feels rather dated at times. It's interesting how the tone the director goes for with their movies has an impact on the lasting quality.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast