View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I agree unless the plot hole in the movie is so big then one feels like a big hole in the theatre is going to open up and swallow everyone whole!
    Totally. Recent example would be with Elysium... I wanted to enjoy the movie, but while watching it, at the back of my mind I thought how likely is it for a place like Elysium to have NO security system at all (against both invaders, hackers and meteors alike)? Totally ridiculous. I couldn't move past that at all :<

ETA: I think the writer need to pick someone other than Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's an astrophysicist for goodness sake! He studies space and stars all his life, I bet he couldn't help it. He also hounded James Cameroon for using lazy night sky in the Titanic Neil and Titanic
    Last edited by DAngel; 10-25-2013 at 07:59 AM.

vCash
    Just screened "Dallas Buyers Club" as well.

The physical transformations were startling.

Yehudi, regarding your question:

Spoiler

Powerful acting.

vCash
    A new Trailer for Captain America was uploaded yesterday and it already has over 5.5m hits!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?p=PLePBz0...A&feature=plpp

vCash
    I just watched a movie called "Paradise Road" that stars Glenn Close, Julianne Marguiles, Jennifer Ehle, Cate Blanchett and I think the name of the other famous actress is Pauline Collins. It's a World War II movie about women returning on a ship to England when the Japanese have invaded the Phillipines (my apologies if I got the country wrong!). The ship is attacked and sunk and many women make it back to shore and end up in an interment camp. One way they survive is to take on the task/hobby or creating a vocal orchestra and how music gives them something to live for. I really enjoyed this movie and Glenn Close is wonderful as always. Shame that Close has never won an Oscar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    A new Trailer for Captain America was uploaded yesterday and it already has over 5.5m hits!
    That was cool to see a glimpse of The Falcon in flight, and the trailer ends with a great shot of the Winter Soldier catching the Cap's shield. The trailer does look a little bit overblown though. I hope that the picture isn't made up of too many set pieces and not enough story and characters. Cap has a much better looking costume this time around.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Four movies recently viewed:

Whales Of August (Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Ann Sothern and Vincent Price) - A rather quiet movie. Basically just a slice of life during a few days in the lives of a trio of elderly ladies. I probably saw this one around the time it came out, but it ended up on my To See list at some point. I'd recommend it if you're a major fan of any of the actors in it or if you like quiet dramas. Accent on the quiet...

Far From Heaven (Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid, Patricia Clarkson and Viola Davis) - I think I remember reading that they tried to make this movie in the same manner than movies of the 50's were made. Not sure if they were successful or not with that...not sure about much of this movie really. I thought it was a fair mess. Unfocussed script, questionable direction. The actors gave it everything they had, but without a sound script and director, not much left for one to recommend. Skip it.

The Covenant (Steven Strait, Taylor Kitsch, Chace Crawford and Sebastian Stan) - Skip it. Interesting premise (teenage descendants of a 17th-century coven of witches) but a shitty script so you can't really for anywhere from there. Plus the director even fails at the "hot boy" opportunity. Stunningly beautiful cast, but he sets almost all scenes at night and the lighting is poor enough that you can't see much. These bodacious babes should have been shot in glorious well-lit close-ups. Speaking of lighting, I'm reminded of old black and white movies where the nighttime scenes were so well lit that you could see everything. As if the full moon above the cast was actually twenty times larger than the real moon so everything was lit up and clearly visible but also clearly nighttime as well. Nowadays directors keep everything so dark so as to make things scary and moody. To me all it looks like is dark and boring.

The Dust Bowl (Ken Burns documentary). Interesting topic, lots of good info and wonderfully narrated by Peter Coyote. But a lot of the middle two of the four hours was re-hashing the first hour in varying ways. Probably could have been edited from four hours down to two.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    We saw Gravity in Dbox 3D this week. It was neat, during the explosions the seats bounced and shook like crazy, and during the drifting scenes they swayed just enough to make you feel like you were there with them. Definitely wouldn't recommend it if you're prone to motion sickness, but it was fun to try.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I watched a great foreign animated film last night called The Painting. I want to say it was nominated for an Oscar because I recognized the name and cover picture. It was delightful. I would love to know if anyone else saw it because I would like to discuss the message of it. Has anyone seen it? I went to IMDB and the message board for the movie had only one message on it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    It wasn't nominated for an Oscar. I actually haven't heard of it myself, but the description sounds interesting!

vCash
    It is available on Netflix streaming in the US if you have it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    I just watched a movie called "Paradise Road" that stars Glenn Close, Julianne Marguiles, Jennifer Ehle, Cate Blanchett and I think the name of the other famous actress is Pauline Collins. It's a World War II movie about women returning on a ship to England when the Japanese have invaded the Phillipines (my apologies if I got the country wrong!). The ship is attacked and sunk and many women make it back to shore and end up in an interment camp. One way they survive is to take on the task/hobby or creating a vocal orchestra and how music gives them something to live for. I really enjoyed this movie and Glenn Close is wonderful as always. Shame that Close has never won an Oscar.
    Singapore actually ...

I enjoyed that movie too. It was a tad overblown in places, and I think it could have used another editing pass, but generally a worthy addition to the wartime survival genre. Especially since the focus is on women, which is not a story commonly told. And the cast is amazing. (In addition to the ones you listed, Frances McDormand was also in it.)

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I saw an amazing movie a while back: Songcatcher. It stars Janet McTeer, Emmy Rossum, Aidan Quinn and Pat Carroll. I loved, loved LOVED this movie!! McTeer plays a musicologist who leaves her job and the city after being overlooked one too many times for job promotions and goes to visit her sister who runs a school in the Appalachian mountains. She overhears a woman singing a wonderful song she's never heard before and learns that there are many, many unknown songs passed from generation to generation that have been unheard of anywhere but in these mountains. McTeer's character begins to collect all these songs to publish and share with the world. I won't say more, but if anything I've said here sparks any kind of interest in you, then you should find it because I think that you will love, love, LOVE it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Is "spoiler" a verb now?
    All things are possible in the movies thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    So you're saying the article is full of SPOILERS?!
    Y'all are so alert!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    OOPS!!!

vCash
    Some movies that I've watched recently, three great, two...so-so:

Father Goose with Cary Grant, Leslie Caron and Trevor Howard. I LOVED this movie! SO funny and Grant is so perfect in this role. And does he ever look handsome for a 60 year old man!

The House Of Mirth with Gillian Anderson, Laura Linney, Eric Stolz, Anthony Lapglia, Dan Akroyd and probably a few others I can't remember. Another movie I really loved. Such great performances from everybody. Plus I hear they made it into a book!

Miss Evers' Boys. I'm going blank on the cast for some reason. I'm at the library right now and can only open one internet screen at a time so can't look it up. This is a TV movie I believe that won either a number of Emmy Awards or a LOT of them. It was on HBO or Showtime I think. It's about studies done on African American men in the 30's or 40's and how in a way they were treated like guinea pigs by those in the medical field. A must-see.

The Impossible with Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor and Toni Collette. I found this one to be disappointing. Great actors, but I think the script was wanting and included a few too many cliches for my liking. The special effects were good, but were over quick compared to the rest of the movie, which kind of dragged after that in my opinion.

The Newton Boys with Matthe McConnoughey, Julianna Marguiles, Skeet Ulrich, Ethan Hawke and a few others I can't remember now. A good cast, but not a great script. The cast gave it everything they had but the screenwriter and director let them down. Only for viewing if you're an uber of any of the cast members.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    The Impossible with Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor and Toni Collette. I found this one to be disappointing. Great actors, but I think the script was wanting and included a few too many cliches for my liking. The special effects were good, but were over quick compared to the rest of the movie, which kind of dragged after that in my opinion.
    But ... you know it's a true story, right?

I found the film moving and gripping from beginning to end. Even knowing ahead of time that it would have a happy ending did not diminish the dramatic tension for me. Yes, it does seem unbelievable at times -- but even if it had been made up as opposed to real events, I still wouldn't have minded.

For me the only criticism would be that the focus was entirely on the white family -- and the other foreign tourists -- and virtually ignoring the stories of the locals whose lives were destroyed, literally and figuratively. But that's nit-picking, because that's another movie, not this one. The movie never pretends to tell a comprehensive history of the tsunami. It's just a story about this one family.

vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Tw...

I also loved The Impossible. What's funny is that I could have sworn I read somewhere that the mom ends up dying so the happy ending took my by surprise, big time.
    -Brian

vCash
    I liked 'The Impossible', thought Watts was great, but the son was just great to watch. I liked the movie, did not love it. Not sure, but I felt something was missing, maybe the editing was off, not sure.

I finally saw 'Captain Phillips' - great movie, one where you know the outcome but are still on the edge of your seat. I think it was one of Tom Hanks best performances, felt real, especially the end of the movie, the last few scenes - Hanks was excellent. Also, since I did not recognize any other actor, except Catherine Keener, it was nice to not have preconceived ideas about the characters. The Somali guys were very good. I found the cinematography very good, I would guess it was a lot of hand held which seemed very effective for this story, added to the tension.

On 'Far From Heaven' - I enjoyed this movie, thought it was good, not great, best part - Julianne Moore was very good.
    One nitpik - it is set in Hartford, CT and I live in the area. It had a scene at the train station, and it was definitely not filmed at the Hartford train station. Scenery was completely off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    So excited for this!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So how many of you Jackass-es went to the movies this past weekend to support future Oscar-winner Johnny Knoxville? Bad Grandpa took the #1 spot with 32 million in box office gross. Had to work “gross” into this! Gravity and Captain Phillips held their own in the runner-up positions, keeping “The Counselor” at a #4 debut. I heard something about it being mysognist, so maybe it lost half of it’s audience before it even opened. Gravity’s 20 million this weekend almost has it topping the 200 million mark. Not bad for 24 days! 12 Years A Slave made a +131% gain in box office revenue, moving from 19 to 123 theatres and scoring a $17,352 per theatre average. Wow! Robert Redford’s “All Is Lost” moves from 6 to 81 theatre and sees a +453% box office increase. Interesting in this age of blockbusters that opening small and building good word of mouth remains a strategy to this day. Sounds like pretty much everybody in this thread is eager to see both of these movies.

New movies coming up this week are below, ones covered at the start of the thread are in bold. And who's interesting in the Keanu Reeves directorial effort? Hello? Anybody? Yeah, well the trailer looks AWFUL and that's why it's appearing LAST in this list. Diana and About Time look good to me. A bit strange to see Rachel McAdams in another romance that involves time travel, though. Aftermath looks very good also. Strange about Mr. Nobody...wonder how big of a push it's going to get. I guess it never got an official release as I swear I saw it on DVD a few years ago from the library. Another strange thing is that it's coming out the same week as Dallas Buyer's Club, also starring Jared Leto. He looks AMAZING in his role, some talk about an Oscar nomination. If that's the case, why didn't they wait until that good word of mouth spread before releasing Mr. Nobody? Strange movie studios!!

November 1st - Ender's Game - Sci-Fi action with Ben Kingsley, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin and Viola Davis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE
    Over 10 million views

November 1st - Last Vegas - Comedy with Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, Mary Steenburgen and Kevin Kline
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py5eXSQiGX8
    1.3 million views

November 1st - Free Birds - Animated with Woody Harrelson, Owen Wilson, Amy Poehler, George Takei, Colm Meaney and Keith David
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXckSVvKwo

November 1 - Diana – Biography/dramatic romance with Naomi Watts and Naveen Andrews
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VSUoxic5E4
    2 million views

November 1 - About Time – Comedy drama sci-fi with Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7A810duHvw
    4.5 million views

November 1 - Mr. Nobody – Dramatic fantasy romance with Jared Leto, Sarah Polley, Diane Kruger, Rhys Ifans and Juno Temple
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJAP8q_iPOw
    2.3 million views

November 1 – Mr. Morgan’s Last Love – Comedy drama with Michael Caine, Gillian Anderson, Clémence Poésy and Jane Alexander
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijbwAjuOH7w

November 1 - Dallas Buyers Club – Drama with Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner, Jared Leto, Dennis O’Hare and Steve Zahn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8utPuIFVnU

November 1 - Poklosie (aka Aftermath) – Polish dramatic thriller. From imdb.com: “A Polish man who returns home after the death of his father unearths a secret about the now-deceased Jewish residents of his village.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8RJs8wAA2Y

November 1 - Sal – Biographical drama with James Franco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQL1qXoyEg

October 30 - Skinwalker Ranch - Horror sci-fi thriller. From imdb.com: “A scientific research team investigates and documents the supernatural phenomena surrounding the disappearance of a cattle ranchers 10 year old son.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPAOC5F5o1c

November 1 - Angels Sing – Family with Harry Connick Jr., Connie Britton, Fionnula Flanagan, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson and Lyle Lovett
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaoLyqz_C3Y

November 1 - Big Sur – Drama with Stana Katic, Radha Mitchell, Kate Bosworth, Josh Lucas, Henry Thomas, Anthony Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w71t2lFXDU

November 1 - Man of Tai Chi – Action with Tiger Hu Chennd Keanu Reeves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd5WUn2oM8Y
    4 million views

vCash
    Two horror-ish movies I saw recently, the first is Ravenous with Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle, David Arquette, Jeremy Davies and Neal McDonough. One weird movie! But more weird GOOD than weird BAD. It's the story of American soldiers/frontiersman who experience some strange encounters in their isolation and where...things can really eat at you.... I think they filmed this movie as a drama and maybe thought it didn't work, so in post-production they added some slightly goofy music to make it more of a black comedy? A bare thumbs up for this one.

And the other one was The Breed with Oliver Hudson and Michelle Rodriguez. A small group of twenty-somethings get stuck on an island with some rather hungry wild dogs. Yuppies vs. bitches, you'll have to watch the movie to see who wins. Or don't. You really won't be missing all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    But ... you know it's a true story, right?

I found the film moving and gripping from beginning to end. Even knowing ahead of time that it would have a happy ending did not diminish the dramatic tension for me. Yes, it does seem unbelievable at times -- but even if it had been made up as opposed to real events, I still wouldn't have minded.
    For me, when making movies out of true stories, the director/screenwriter can go for a documentary feel to the movie or fill it with "Hollywood movie" clichés that can make one The worst cliché in The Impossible was the family reunion when the father, the eldest brother and the two youngest brothers were at each different places in the same village at the same time and the miraculously spotted each other at the very same moment. The music swells, tears fall, hugs are given. It was rather cringeworthy and very much over the top. I thought the movie was watchable, just a bit too melodramatic at times which lessened the story for me of what these people actually went through.

vCash
    Ender's Gameeeee

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast