View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I saw a nice (and slightly strange!) movies this weekend called "The Go-Getter". Lou Taylor-Pucci is the lead who steals a car in an effort to find his long lost brother. The car belongs to Zooey Deschannel and the two start up a friendship by phone and eventually meet. It's a road movie and is sweet and charming and recommended.

I also liked "Nights In Rodanthe" mainly because of Diane Lane and Richard Gere. Plus the seaside scenery is quite nice to watch, not quite as much as Mr. Gere in his Levi's! It's a pretty staight-forward romance, one that's good to watch when you need some warm fuzzies.

Okay, with this one I'm probably going to get in trouble with some of you. "Dark Victory" with Bette Davis. They loooooved this movie at imdb.com. I liked it because the cast are talented and everyone behind the scenes are at the top of their game. And I know films of this time (1939) were melodramatic, but this one went too far over the top at time. There was one scene where Davis made me laugh out loud as her performance was so presposterous. I actually felt embarrased for her and wondered if this was her worst film performance (hadn't thought before now that Davis was capable of being bad!!). Plus I thought the ending was mighty stoopid. I did learn that her leading man was George Brent, who was her co-star 13 times! Didn't know there was that many Davis movies I had missed. In a completely thankless role is Humphrey Bogart as well as some upstart named Ronald Reagan. Can't think of any famous Ronald Regan films so not sure what ever happened to him.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    War of the Worlds (with Tom Cruise) is one of my favorite movies. I don't know why but I can watch it over and over and over.
    wow. I could barely watch it once! When tim robbins appeared I was like "now we get some acting action!"
    Have a nice day!

having a nice day
    vCash
    I thought "skyfall" was one of the best action movies ever. Well. That was because I hadn't seen "M:I: ghost protcol." THAT is one of THE BEST action movies EVER! I'd say more but I'm going to watch again right now whee!! Omg I looooove this film!!!! I *strongly* and *highly!* recommend this film!:-)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    They're both absolutely excellent but MI: Ghost Protocol is simply stunning. Two-hour-long anxiety attack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I just saw Thor - The Dark World. It was a bit silly, and quite entertaining, and had what may be the funniest end fight I've ever seen. I'm glad I didn't see it in 3D though, some of the action was hard enough to follow as it was. And I wanted more Eccleston, damnit!
    Funny, I used the exact same word -- "silly" -- in my post from a few days ago.

Silly, but enjoyable. The 3D was totally unnecessary in my opinion. It was hard enough watching the hammer fly all over the place much less right at your face.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    PeterG, if you haven't yet seen any Powell/Loy other than The Thin Man, try Libeled Lady -- it's fantastic! Oh, and have you seen the rest of the Thin Man films? The second one is as good as the first, IMO -- maybe even a little better. The quality went downhill after that, but they were always fun to watch.
    Libeled Lady has one of the funniest physical comedy scenes you've never heard of, William Powell fly-fishing shouldn't be missed. I also loved Manhattan Melodrama which is a melodrama, but still

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So I saw a movie recently that I thought was just amazing. Once I've seen it, I check out how it did at the box office and then check out the rating at imdb before scanning the message boards. Now this movie was SO great that I assumed it was a big blockbuster hit that I was just to busy to see when it came out. Somebody PLEASE tell me why the world did not love "Down With Love" as much as I did?? The script is BRILLIANT and the direction from start to finish is SPOT-ON. And Ewan McGregor and Renée Zellweger just knock it out of the park. But the movie only made 35 million worldwide on a 78 million budget. And it only got a 6.2 rating at imdb. I thought this movie was SO funny and I found every second completely entertaining. I'm so surprised that this movie was not well received. And I'm heartbroken that the two people who wrote it have nothing credited to them after this 2003 movie. I can only DREAM of writing something even a TINY bit as good as this movie. Bonuses are the supporting cast: David Hyde Pierce, Sarah Paulson, Tony Randall, Rachel Dratch and Jeri Ryan (all equally wondrous).

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    If you watch "all that heaven allows" first then "far from heaven" makes more sense. BTW rock hudson is reeeally gd in "all that heaven allows"
    I've added this one to my list, along with the Errol Flynn movies you suggested. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    "Thor: The Dark World"... there's one slow pan of shirtless Chris washing himself, for those of you who asked.

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    And Hiddleston features prominently in the film. Good to see him get some action scenes, too.
    Is it just me, or is there something incredibly sexy about this man?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I saw Down with Love at the theatre when it came out and thought it was fantastic. Don't know, Peter...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    They're both absolutely excellent but MI: Ghost Protocol is simply stunning. Two-hour-long anxiety attack.
    One of the amazing things is....Cruise did his own stunts. There's footage of him chillin' and waving while hanging off the Burj Khalifa right before he does one of those leaps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FyO_bnIsqk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes....I'm going to see this movie for Loki, not Thor. (I've never been into blondes anyway)

vCash
    Some comedies I've seen of late:

50/50 with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogan. This one is more of a dramedy, they do a great job of bringing some lightness to a movie which is basically about cancer. Gordon-Levitt seems to now be one of those actors who you can see something he's in and you know it'll be good. And this is the guy who used to be in Third Rock From The Sun?

Land Of The Lost with Will Ferrell. I think this one bombed at the box office, but I've grown to really like Ferrell. He's just so darned funny!! Thought this one was quite imaginative and held my interest from start to finish.

Year One with Jack Black and Michael Cera. This one was a bit tougher to like. Had to watch it in a few different sittings as my interest waned a times. There's quite a good supporting cast, but the script isn't that great and Jack Black seems to have overstayed his welcome in the world of movies....

vCash
    Open auditions for lead roles in the upcoming Star Wars Vll movies are to be held in the UK. The female lead character sounds like something Chloe Moretz would be good for because of her Kick Ass movies role.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24828750

vCash
    Stepping out of my lurkdom to say "no it's not just you"! Tom Hiddleston

vCash
    Finished watching The Hatfields and McCoys last night. Quite good, but quite depressing thinking about the human nature of some people. I'm hoping we've changed as humans somewhat from the time their feuds were taking place???

Another western I saw a while back was Shane with Alan Ladd and Jean Arthur. I thought it was pretty good, but rather simple also. But I enjoyed that simplicity, the movie had a sort of pureness to it's storytelling that was rather enjoyable. Jack Palance really shined in this one, I think he only had a handful of lines, but his presence was SO menacing that he got an Academy Award nomination for his performance. Makes me wonder about other nominations actors have received for having so little dialogue, making an impression with just their face and their physical actions. Cool to think about.

vCash
    So I saw a movie recently that I thought was just amazing. Once I've seen it, I check out how it did at the box office and then check out the rating at imdb before scanning the message boards. Now this movie was SO great that I assumed it was a big blockbuster hit that I was just to busy to see when it came out. Somebody PLEASE tell me why the world did not love "Down With Love" as much as I did?? The script is BRILLIANT and the direction from start to finish is SPOT-ON. And Ewan McGregor and Renée Zellweger just knock it out of the park. But the movie only made 35 million worldwide on a 78 million budget. And it only got a 6.2 rating at imdb. I thought this movie was SO funny and I found every second completely entertaining. I'm so surprised that this movie was not well received. And I'm heartbroken that the two people who wrote it have nothing credited to them after this 2003 movie. I can only DREAM of writing something even a TINY bit as good as this movie. Bonuses are the supporting cast: David Hyde Pierce, Sarah Paulson, Tony Randall, Rachel Dratch and Jeri Ryan (all equally wondrous).
    I've been lurking on this thread for a bit and have to de-lurk to say how much I absolutely love this movie - it is in my all-time top 5 - and how thrilled I am to see someone else love it. I have no idea why it didn't do better at the box office, because I agree on the brilliant script and acting. Renee Zellweger's monologue towards the end of the movie is one of the best scenes I've ever scene and she just totally nailed it. I also love all the work that was done to recreate the look and feel of a 60s film - I normally don't care too much about the visuals in a film, but they were almost an extra character in this one. The DVD commentary is one of the few that I would recommend for reasons other than to help insomnia, I found this one fascinating.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    I saw Down with Love at the theatre when it came out and thought it was fantastic. Don't know, Peter...
    lol, i saw it in the theater with a friend and loved it, loved. so much love. then took my mom, who drove me nuts, just to see it again.

on the bright side, it looks like we have almost enough people here to form a down with love minyan
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Three documentaries I've seen, varying feelings about them:

Central Park Five - The imdb.com summary: "A documentary that examines the 1989 case of five black and Latino teenagers who were convicted of raping a white woman in Central Park. After having spent between 6 and 13 years each in prison, a serial rapist confessed to the crime." Should I be shocked that police and the justice system basically force an outcome to a crime with seemingly little care for the truth. Unbelievable that these men spent such an important part of their lives behind jail while the real perpetrator went free....

We Feed The World - I think the DVD case mentioned something about the people behind "The Corporation" were involved with this movie, so I had high hopes for it as I thought that movie was incredible. But I think maybe they were more "presenters" or something. Because this movie is quite simple and seems to be lacking a point of view in my opinion. I guess the images speak for themselves, which make quite a strong point, but I was expecting to hear more from the filmmakers themselves, or more arguments from interviewees. Overall I found this one kinda boring.

Triumph Of The Will - Okay... This is the 1935 Leni Riefenstahl film that imdb.com summarises as: "The infamous propaganda film of the 1934 Nazi Party rally in Nuremberg, Germany." I watched this at double-time as most of it is just footage of soldiers, marching, etc. and then I realized I wasn't paying attention much to the subtitles when various people spoke at the rallies so I thought as long as I had decided to watch this, I should probably pay attention. That said, towards the end it was mainly images again so I watched it at triple time except when speeches were made. CREEPY MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't fathom that a whole country of people seemed to allow themselves to be brainwashed. Haunting movie. It made me realize why nationalism of any kind freaks me out. Everyone acting and thinking as one entity, not seeming to think as an individual. I've made effort to arrive at many events late so I don't have to part of the playing of any national anthem. When an event starts late, or they do the national anthem 30 minutes into the event and I am present, I'm pissed off that I have to go along with everyone seeming to act like sheeps and doing what everyone else is doing. It creeps me out!!!!! Anyway, this movie is worth watching for the historical aspect of it, but it's CREEPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I watched Bridegroom tonight. Even though I knew the story already it was still heartbreaking and being a married gay man, it really hits home.
    I plan to see this eventually, even though it looks very heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    PeterG, if you haven't yet seen any Powell/Loy other than The Thin Man, try Libeled Lady -- it's fantastic! Oh, and have you seen the rest of the Thin Man films? The second one is as good as the first, IMO -- maybe even a little better. The quality went downhill after that, but they were always fun to watch.
    I liked the Thin Man, but not enough to watch any of the sequels. I have added Libeled Lady to my list, though.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Afterlife
    vCash
    I liked the Thin Man, but not enough to watch any of the sequels. I have added Libeled Lady to my list, though.
    The first 2 are the only ones really worth watching anyways. The 3rd one maybe for James Stewart, but that's about it. Although my dad has a very odd fondness for the 4th one and the 5th one has a few good lines. The 6th one is almost entirely forgettable unless you enjoy Keenan Wynne because he was really the only good thing about it. It is just so dull.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

having a nice day
    vCash
    Watching the 19 yr old Tom Cruise in "risky business" it's no wonder he's still in great shape-he started out that way, I'd just forgotten.

No kidding the anxiety in "ghost protocol"-when he's outside climbing up with only those gloves my stomach clenched up so hard I thought I was going to puke..which I rarely do. I stop the movie and hovered around the toilet for awhile just in case. Then it got worse when he was trying to kick a hole in the window! And then the wild ride down on the cable!!! Eeeek!!!! Omg that was stunning!!!! Everything absolutely pitch perfect. The editor of this film was GENIUS!!!:-)

we saw "triumph of the will" in a film class. The prof mentioned that when it was shown in Germany back when the doors were locked-the audience had_to watch it. So I asked her if she was going to lock our doors. No since that's against fire code but she "recruited" some "guards" to "discourage" folks from leaving. It was scary effect that "enhanced" our viewing lol ;-)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    I can't fathom that a whole country of people seemed to allow themselves to be brainwashed.
    I can. But then I don't have a great deal of faith in human nature. Just looking at history shows us how often things like this tend to happen. Traits like greed, selfishness, lust for power, and a willingness to scapegoat others don't just go away.

Anyway, I agree, Triumph was VERY creepy.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast