View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Tw...

I caught Movie 43 tonight on Netflix. What a raunchy and disgusting movie. I loved it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Anyone know the British movie "Belle"? It's Wikipedia page says it opened September 8th but I can't find it anywhere. I would love to see it.
    I spotted that one yesterday too, it was a featured trailer on IMDB. I was sufficiently interested enough to look it up. They have May 2014 as the release date.

(Sept 8 would have been the TIFF "release" -- somewhat confusing and misleading, but it's not at all uncommon for it to be months later for a full release.)

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Would You Let Your Child Watch an R-Rated Movie? Brad Pitt Would!

Brad Pitt talks about his new movie, 12 Years A Slave. It's rated R, so no one under 17 can see the movie unless accompanied by an adult. In this article, Pitt says he "maybe" would let his 12 year old son Maddox watch this movie. (Which I've heard can be quite harsh/brutal at times.)

So how many parents do we have reading this thread, and what are you personal guidelines for what your child can and cannot watch?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    dp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Would You Let Your Child Watch an R-Rated Movie? Brad Pitt Would!

Brad Pitt talks about his new movie, 12 Years A Slave. It's rated R, so no one under 17 can see the movie unless accompanied by an adult. In this article, Pitt says he "maybe" would let his 12 year old son Maddox watch this movie. (Which I've heard can be quite harsh/brutal at times.)

So how many parents do we have reading this thread, and what are you personal guidelines for what your child can and cannot watch?
    I am not a parent but I think it is important for adolescents and teens to see this movie.

vCash
    I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. I loved the music, hated the camerawork, and was completely unmoved by the story and the characters. Although the fact that I got up at 2:30 AM to go to work, which then proceeded to last for 13 hours, might have something to do with that. My brain was quite sluggish when I watched the film.

Tomorrow I'm seeing The World's End, at last.

vCash
    I haven't seen the movie but from what it sounds like, it gives a real look at slavery and not some Hollywood version of it. I think that is important for teens to see so 12 years old isn't so bad. I would just want to talk to the kid about it, first and then after.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Speaking as a non-parent (but someone who can remember her own childhood), I think parents need to know what their children can and can't handle, and act accordingly. I would have been utterly wrecked watching that movie at 12. Lots of kids would probably be unfazed.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    My dad let me watch rated R movies when I was 5 or so. I was never fazed by them. My sister, on the other hand, was a lot more sensitive. We saw Titanic (which, yes, is PG-13) in theaters when I was 8 and she was 6, and she cried for basically the entire second half of the film as the ship sank if I remember correctly.

vCash
    A lot of films seem to have a higher rating in the US than in Europe, or at least Sweden, which I interpret as a sign that some conservative lobby group in the US would rather ban young people from seeing films with a bit of nudity/violence/sex/swearing/"adult concepts" than to actually talk to kids about what those things mean and how they work.
    I was a weird kid. I didn't mind the blood and gore in Jurassic Park, because dinosaurs are awesome, but human skeletons scared me, which is why Mars Attacks is the only film I've ever walked out on. I still haven't seen the whole film...

vCash
    Not a parent, but agreeing with the "it depends on the kid" chorus. Plus it also depends on the movie. Rush was rated MA15+ in Australia for being graphic, but the blood, the bones didn't faze me (still could have done without the fifty million closeups of Hunt spewing, though). But being an MA15+ movie it got MA15+ trailers, and I was creeped the f*ck out by those.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Not a parent. Also a person who watched many films before the ratings system existed. And after lol-"midnight cowboy" was rated X but we got in anyway. As well as many other films that were far far worse. There was also no "adult" and "teen" section at the library-it was fiction or non-fiction period. The librarian might give you a look over yr choice of reading matter but the point is it was yr choice. The same with films. They're just films. There is far worse real-life sh*t occurring every day in the world. Children are exposed to it; children die from it. It's silly to rate movies when looked at from this perspective.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Gravity is predicted to remain #1 for a 3rd week! Predicted to take in around $29 million.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Speaking as a non-parent (but someone who can remember her own childhood), I think parents need to know what their children can and can't handle, and act accordingly. I would have been utterly wrecked watching that movie at 12. Lots of kids would probably be unfazed.
    Agree completely. I think of what I was like as a kid and the things that upset me. I saw a movie called Something of Value when I was around 10 or 11. It was about a Mau Mau uprising in Kenya and based on real events. There was one bloody scene--1950's bloody--that upset me so, I was terrified that Mau Maus would be invading my hometown any minute.
    Those fears were very real to me, and it took a lot of convincing by my mother that we were safe.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just got back from seeing Carrie. I'm going to spoiler everything because I'm not sure what I say will be a spoiler and won't, so to be safe...

Spoiler

vCash
    Saw "12 Years A Slave" and I highly recommended it. But you do need to have a strong stomach.

vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Tw...

Peter, I didn't want to read your spoilers (even though I've seen the original) but can you tell me if you liked it and do you recommend it?

Oh and I found Maniac on Netflix streaming! I am about to watch it now.
    -Brian

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Peter, I didn't want to read your spoilers (even though I've seen the original) but can you tell me if you liked it and do you recommend it?
    Yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Oh and I found Maniac on Netflix streaming! I am about to watch it now.
    Do you have a barf bag handy?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes and yes.

Do you have a barf bag handy?
    Because it's bad or gross or both? Lol
    -Brian

vCash

I thought Maniac was a great film. Very gory and violent but quite a great film. One of the better horror movies. I felt guilty and responsible because the movie is filmed from the killers perspective. That was an interesting twist and made this film scary in a totally different way.
    -Brian

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast