View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I watched 'Enough Said' last night. Great cast (Julia Louis Dreyfus, James Gandolfini, Toni Collette, Catherine Keener) w/ great writing for the most part.

Highly recommended!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    ‘Hercules’ Hunk-Off: Kellan Lutz vs. Dwayne Johnson as Dueling Demigods

Charlie Hunnam Replaced in Fifty Shades of Grey Film, Drops Out Due to Schedule

The Top Ten Highest Paid Actresses of 2013

10. Julia Roberts – 11 million
    9. Mila Kunis – 11 million
    8. Natalie Portman – 14 million
    7. Sandra Bullock – 14 million
    6. Charlize Theron – 15 million
    5. Emma Stone – 16 million
    4. Jennifer Aniston – 20 million
    3. Kristin Stewart – 22 million
    2. Jennifer Lawrence – 26 million
    1. Angelina Jolie – estimated 33 million
    (Anybody think Stewart might slip a spot of two in 2014? )

I watched Palm Beach Story recently and Rudy Vallee had a small part. I noticed this in his imdb.com profile, which I thought was very cool and wanted to share:

When Vallée took his contractual vacations from his national radio show in 1937, he insisted his sponsor hire Louis Armstrong as his substitute (this was the first instance of an African-American fronting a national radio program).
    And from inspiring to demoralizing, this little snippet in Entertainment Weekly (the "Bullseye" colum) of a picture of Cher with Fergie: “You’re like the daughter I never had…well, used to have.”

P.S. I don't believe there has ever been one mention of "Sharknado" in any of our movie threads. Are there NO cinema lovers here anymore???
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    What did Angie get paid for?... Is it that she's currently filming Maleficent? Because she hasn't been in anything since 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I saw Rush again last night. It was still just as good, and just as intense - I was on the edge of my seat for the Nürburgring race, even though I knew exactly what was going to happen. That's some damn good storyboarding, photography, editing, and music at work there. I love the touches of humour in the film, and that the few scenes of horror aren't overdone, but still makes it perfectly clear that racing is a very dangerous thing to be doing.
    Saw Rush yesterday. I would never have thought this was a Ron Howard movie. It was really good and very well directed. I keep being impressed by Chris Hemsworth and he is just gorgeous anyway. Daniel Bruhl was fantastic (give him an Oscar). I actually liked how you got some idea of what drives these guys who do motor racing and they didn't leave you wondering what happened to them with the update at the end. Also one of those movies that make you go home and do some research about the people it is about which is what I like to get out of a true story movie.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    What did Angie get paid for?... Is it that she's currently filming Maleficent? Because she hasn't been in anything since 2011.
    Is it for the Kungfu Panda series? Can't be for The Tourist?

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    If you have any love for Shakespeare at all, skip the new Romeo & Juliet. Awful. Just awful. What made Julian Fellowes think he could write better dialogue than Shakespeare, I can't imagine.
    I kind of wondered if that was going to be the situation with that movie. Something in the trailer just seemed off.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Is it for the Kungfu Panda series? Can't be for The Tourist?
    The last Kung Fu Panda was released in 2011!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    So Natalie Portman makes the top 10 just for the Thor movie? Don't get me wrong, I love Portman, but I had to look her up to see what she'd done recently.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Tw...

I assume they go by each actresses highest paid film for the year. So it would only take one film.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The last Kung Fu Panda was released in 2011!
    yeah... I don't know I have a hard time believing Disney would pay Jolie $33 million dollars...

vCash
    Watched Gravity in 3D IMAX last night. The intensity was insane. The movie is only 90 minutes long, but damn do they ever pack in the suspense. I found myself numerous times wanting them to get on with scene, not because it wasn't good, but because it was so intense that I couldn't bare any more intensity. Ha! I'm still feeling affected over 24 hours later. I've been encouraging other friends and family members to go watch the film... and if at all possible, watch it in 3D IMAX (or 3D at the very least).

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I assume they go by each actresses highest paid film for the year. So it would only take one film.
    I was assuming totals for the year, but I guess single film makes more sense. But regardless, my point was that I thought it was interesting someone like Portman, who hasn't done much lately, would still factor into the top 10 -- esp. compared to actors who have been much busier and far more in the spotlight lately. Like Jessica Chastain, or Carey Mulligan, or Cate Blanchett.

vCash
    Oscar winners are really expensive, and the Marvel movies are ridiculously huge. I'm not surprise Portman made the list with one film.

(Yes, I realize Blanchett won an Oscar as well, but it was several years before Portman and the one big film she's in ["The Hobbit"] is a fairly minor role.)

Portman did more last year than Angie did, in terms of movies actually being released And I don't see why Disney wouldn't pay her a large amount of money, the hype on Maleficent is pretty huge. Is this just for actual film work, or any money made at all? Because then it makes more sense to me.

vCash
    Blanchett probably gets money on the back end of the Hobbit as well, so they may not know how much she rakes in until the movie is released and they count up all the box office which will not be until 2014. This is how Robert Downey Jr. made quadrillions on Iron Man.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wow, not only does Gravity hold onto the #1 spot at the box office this weekend, but it bests the #2 debut of Captain Phillips with 43 million (compared to the 25 million taken in by the Tom Hanks movie). Not necessarily bad news for Captain Phillips, as its' budget is only 55 million...exactly half of Gravity. The #1 movie again this week only dips 23 percent, so there's more positive word of mouth out there than just here on FSU! And Gravity took in a WHOPPING $11,800 per theatre average. Only one movie comes close to that...Captain Phillips with $8,516 - no other movie in the top 50 this week took in more than $4,000 per theatre (on average). Machete Kills debuted at #4 with under 4 million in revenue on a budget of 20 million. Hmm...hope it does a lot better in international box office. Or somebody might take the knife to this series... (Sorry!!!)

New movies out this week (ones listed earlier in bold):

October 18th - Carrie - Horror with Chloë Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore and Judy Greer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwPUSWRaJo
    6 million views

October 18th - 12 Years a Slave - Historical drama with Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti, Brad Pitt, Alfre Woodard, Quvenzhané Wallis and Sarah Paulson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiw1cYXQw4g
    4 million views

October 11th - The Fifth Estate - Drama with Benedict Cumberbatch, Daniel Bruhl, Laura Linney, Anthony Mackie and David Thewlis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQOiS_l_0Jk
    2.4 million views

October 18th - Escape Plan - Action with Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jim Caviezel, Vincent D'Onofrio, 50 Cent and Amy Ryan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8jMf8KF8wg
    1.3 million views

October 18th - I'm In Love With a Church Girl - Drama with Ja Rule, Vincent Pastore, Toby Mac, T-Bone, Michael Madsen and Stephen Baldwin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEmqu0zNkT8

October 18 - All is Lost – Action drama with Robert Redford
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJBmBMsjv7A

October 18 - Broadway Idiot – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Broadway Idiot follows Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong from a punk rock concert at Madison Square Garden to the opening of his musical American Idiot on Broadway - only ten blocks away, but worlds apart.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BSPh6QhLYc

October 18 - Paradise – Comedy with Julianne Hough, Nick Offerman, Holly Hunter, Russell Brand, Octavia Spencer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpXPgptx34

October 18 – Torn – Drama, new cast and John Heard. From imdb.com: “Two families bond when their teenage sons are killed in an explosion at a suburban mall only to discover one of their children is the prime suspect.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyJI2YTOm4

October 18 - Kill Your Darlings – Biographical drama with Daniel Radcliffe, Elizabeth Olsen, Michael C. Hall, Ben Foster, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kyra Sedgwick
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB0Qh97Vmxo

October 18 - American Promise – Documentary. From imdb.com: “This intimate documentary follows the 12-year journey of two African-American families pursuing the promise of opportunity through the education of their sons.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knFReWtLkgc

October 18 - Haunter – Horror mystery thriller with Abigail Breslin and Stephen McHattie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClAdBHrZNg

October 16 - Camille Claudel: 1915 – Biographical drama with Juliette Binoche
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsB9QoMgr0I

October 18 - Adventures in the Sin Bin – Comedy with new cast and Ben McKenzie & Tim Blake Nelson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-N9Yl_g8JM

October 18 - Lost for Words – Romantic drama with Sean Faris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2Ed7b87D0

October 18 - Birth of the Living Dead – From imdb.com: “A documentary that shows how George A. Romero gathered an unlikely team of Pittsburghers to shoot his seminal film: Night of the Living Dead.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TowiviD3xgE

October 18 - Two Jacks – Comedy drama with Sienna Miller, Jack Huston, Billy Zane and Jacqueline Bisset
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MDt6Uhgm18

I mentioned earlier that I'll be seeing Carrie on Sunday, I'm also interested in All Is Lost, it looks really well made. Broadway Idiot looks good to me, but definitely one to wait for on DVD. Paradise has gotten a horribly low rating on imdb.com (3.5! ), but I think the trailer looks decent - and what a cast! So I'm in. And I'm interested in Torn even though with only 5,000 views of the trailer at youtube, it looks like this has zero marketing push behind in and will probably be in a tiny number of theatres for a week (maybe two) and then go directly to DVD. But I'm going to keep an eye out for it. Okay, here's a test to see if anyone reads this far in my weekly posts of box office info and new releases. Which of the movies coming out this next weekend are you most looking forward to from the above list? Curious to see how many people will answer this question.

vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Tw...

I will answer!

I am interested in Carrie but I don't think I will be running to the theaters to see it unless some friends want to go.

Torn seems interesting but I doubt it plays around here but should be out on DVD rather soon.

12 Years a Slave has one good looking cast (Fassbender and Pitt?!) but I need to watch the trailer. I've heard of it before, though.
    -Brian

vCash
    Saw 'Gravity' today. Enjoyed it. Definitely an event movie that needs to be experienced in 3D on the big screen. I saw it in IMAX also. I think this type of movies doesn't need big stars to carry it; It would have been interesting had two unknowns been cast in the leads. One minor criticism is that I didn't really care for the main character's back story; I find that the screenwriter and director are often too manipulative when using that storytelling device.

CNN article on why audience should stop fact-checking non-documentary films .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post

CNN article on why audience should stop fact-checking non-documentary films .
    Article is interesting - and I get it for most movies. I saw the Butler and enjoyed it and Forrest Whitaker is amazing. It is not that I minded the inaccuracies, but just that The Butler's son was always in thick of things, seem contrived. Plus it focused on civil rights, I would have enjoyed other topics of the era too. It felt manipulative to me and that is what turns me off.

On another movie....
    In my movie preview film club - last week we saw a Belgian movie 'The Unbroken Cirlce Breakdown' - very good movie, great acting. But there was something off in it. There were scenes I would normally be crying during the movie and heartbreaking things occurred, but I did not shed a tear. Not sure why, other than somehting was off in the movie. It is getting good reviews. But a few other people in my film club felt the same way.

Afterlife
    vCash
    I am interested in Carrie but I'm really not a horror movie fan. I may wait until it shows up on Netflix then I can skip to the next part if I feel the need. I would normally just avoid it but I really like Julianne Moore.

I saw Gravity today. It was absolutely stunning. I would watch it again just to stare at it and absorb the stunning visuals. Sandra Bullock was really good as well, it's probably the best I've ever seen her. But this movie is really all about the direction and the visuals. It's just so pretty.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just finished watching Beautiful Creatures. I liked it, but doubt it will make my Top 10 Best Movies of 2013 list. But it's a great looking movie with a wonderful supporting cast and two decent leads. The worldwide box office was 56 million on a budget of 50 million so I'm guessing the three other books in the series won't make it onto the silver screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Meanwhile, I watched The East last night on DVD. I didn't have much in the way of expectations, but whatever expectations I did have it blew them away. What a great film. It reminded me in tone of Another Earth, not surprising since Marling co-wrote that one too. It sneaks up on you, and examines all kinds of moral ambiguities -- and I love it when a movie does that. And it had one of my favourite endings for a film in a very long time. I highly recommend this one.
    Glad to hear you liked it. I have it on hold at the library, so I'll be seeing it soon. Really great cast, wasn't sure I'd be drawn in by the storyline, but with your recommendation I now hope to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    My guess is that different release dates in different countries have nothing to do with transporting film reels ... and everything to do with distribution deals, marketing campaigns, avoiding conflicts with similar films, bookings & scheduling with theatre chains, etc.
    Good info. Maybe with this movie they have a limited team to publicize it, so the one team moves with the movie as they are about to open it in a new country. Seems out of date with the big publicity machines/campaigns of today, but if you're a smaller movie, maybe this is how it has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    When I saw HG (also on opening day) the theatre lobby was, as expected, mostly filled with teenage girls. I was waiting on line behind a forty-ish woman and what looked to be her 2 daughters. I heard her mutter "Sheesh, I'm the only one in here over 20."
    I tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Nah, there are 2 of us."

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast