View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Jon

10 15.38%
  • Gravity

25 38.46%
  • Captain Phillips

12 18.46%
  • The Fifth Estate

17 26.15%
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 7.69%
  • Ender's Game

12 18.46%
  • Last Vegas

4 6.15%
  • Thor: The Dark World

21 32.31%
  • The Book Thief

22 33.85%
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 53.85%
  • Grace Of Monaco

10 15.38%
  • Oldboy

4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The way Carrie kills mama in the book is different, too. That could be in this film

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I saw a preview before the film that they're remaking 'Carrie'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(2013_film)

Why bother if the original was such a classic? I'm sure Chloe Grace Moretz is a fine actress, but Sissy Spacek in the original role was so perfectly creepy (that alabaster skin and icy blue eyes staring out while covered in blood is one of cinema's iconic moments). I also love Julianne Moore, but I don't think anyone could channel religious nutcase better than Piper Laurie. Both had been Academy Award nominees in 1976 for their roles
    The way Carrie kills mama in the book is different, too. That could be in this film
    The original film, directed by Brian DePalma, is without a doubt an absolute classic that delivered something incredibly rare -- nominations for Best Actress/Supporting Actress Oscar nominations in the horror genre. I was not quite 9 years old when the movie came out and didn't even see it until I was a teenager, and it is easily became one of my favorite movies of this type. That being said, I hadn't read the book before seeing the movie, and after finally reading it, I was rather disappointed to discover the number of artistic liberties taken and how several key moments, facts, and plot points were left out or changed when the film was made.

This is one of the few movies that has me interested enough to go see in a theatre (the last time I went to the movies was back in 2008 ), and one of the key reasons for wanting to see it is that from several articles and interviews I have read about this production, it is supposed to be extremely true to the book. If this is done well, the visceral, psychological horror of the book could likely take Carrie to a successful, albeit different level from the DePalma version. My biggest fear is that it will fall short of succeeding to do so and will bomb horrifically.

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Now you see me" oh don't feelbad if you don't. Toomuch noticeable contrast between actors who are really actors and those who aren't.
    "The last ride" surprise find about hank williams as portrayed by henry thomas. Was not too bad. But I remember "payday" which iirc was hella better.
    From my dvds "tommy" where else canyou see ann-margret writhing inbaked beans lol. She definitely should have won academy award she carries the whole picture perfectly. Highly recommend.

vCash
    Saw Red 2, and it was not as crap as I expected. The actors must have had so much fun shooting it, especially Helen Mirren. And Catherine Zeta-Jones is still so amazingly gorgeous. She doesn't age at all!

Also watched a dvd of mines that I never took the time to watch: Enter the Void. Though it can boast some unusual visual effects with very interesting transitions and perspectives, and tackles the engaging topics of life, reincarnation and bond between siblings, I found it awfully long and rather boring. I also don't think that people who've never been on drugs would relate to it.
    Last edited by DannyCurry; 09-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    At lunch time today, as I do most days, I checked the online library catalogue to see their newest listings for movies. The two titles at the top of the list are called Gods of the Plague and Love Is Colder than Death.

Both are German films.

Just saying ...

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just saw an AMAZING movie, The Other Son. It's the one about the two boys born around the same time who ended up being raised as the other couple's son. One family is Israeli, the other Palestinian. The movie is actually a French production and I see at imdb.com that it did not get any Academy Award nominations. I can't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't swarming in accolades. It's definitely in my top five of all movies I've seen in the last few years (and I've seen a LOT). The performances are both uplifting and heartbreaking, they brought me to tears many times. LOVED the script and the direction is perfect. I 1000% recommend this one.

I saw a preview before the film that they're remaking 'Carrie'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(2013_film)
    Welcome to the movies thread!

Why bother if the original was such a classic?
    That's an unanswerable question. Hollywood just does it. It's something we must accept.

I'm sure Chloe Grace Moretz is a fine actress, but Sissy Spacek in the original role was so perfectly creepy (that alabaster skin and icy blue eyes staring out while covered in blood is one of cinema's iconic moments). I also love Julianne Moore, but I don't think anyone could channel religious nutcase better than Piper Laurie. Both had been Academy Award nominees in 1976 for their roles
    Sissy Spacek was DEFINITELY the best thing about the original, so Chloe is going to have a tough time trying to match that performance. But while I love Piper Laurie and her performance, it was lacking in subtley at times, Spacek definitely out-acted Laurie. And a lot of things about the movie are dated. The music is atrocious at times and many of the performance are caricatures. With such discrepancy between roles, it means to me that the direction was lacking. In this remake, the director is Kimberly Peirce, whose debut was Boys Don't Cry and whose only other directing gig was Stop-Loss. Both are great movies and are highly rated at imdb.com. So I am very hopeful with Peirce in the director's chair of this movie. That said, the trailers I've seen are lacking. I'm hoping they don't reflect the quality of this remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I think (could be wrong) they are going to try to be closer to the novel and have it be citizen Kane like with interviews and flashbacks.
    I'm glad they're doing something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    This is one of the few movies that has me interested enough to go see in a theatre (the last time I went to the movies was back in 2008 )...
    Welcome back!

...one of the key reasons for wanting to see it is that from several articles and interviews I have read about this production, it is supposed to be extremely true to the book.
    You know, I'm not sure I've ever read the book. And I love Stephen King. I'll have to give it a go one of these days.

If this is done well, the visceral, psychological horror of the book could likely take Carrie to a successful, albeit different level from the DePalma version. My biggest fear is that it will fall short of succeeding to do so and will bomb horrifically.
    I'm hoping it's a good sign that they moved the release date from March to October. Whether it was to tweak the film to be even better, or because they wanted to capitalize on a Halloween audience...or both.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Agree w "the other son." It really makes youthink about what makes you you.
    I forgot to mention my $1 find of the month "breakfast on pluto." IIRC it was on my list because of the costume designer. It turned out to be a v charming film about a young man with absolutely no doubts of who he was which lead him to many strange and marvelous adventures. I highly recommend watching It if you have problems expressing yr true self to the world-it will inspire and encourage...and amuse :-)

vCash
    One last note about 'Carrie'.

Years ago, I was talking to my aunt about the book or 1976 film (can't remember) and she told me when she and my uncle were newlyweds, they went to the theater, sat in the back and lit up a joint while watching the whole thing, ended up giggling thru the whole thing. Context - she's a baby boomer born in the early 50s and I was born in 1969.

Ahhh, the 1970s ...

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Pretty excited about this upcoming film, just announced!

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

vCash
    They gave away most of the new "Carrie" in the trailer, anyway.

I'm screening "Gravity" and "Don Jon" this week. "Rush" is the same night as "Gravity" and I had to pick between the two.

Will let you know my thoughts, as usual.

vCash
    I finally saw Elysium this weekend.

Good Attempt at Sci-Fi with a social message (economic inequality). I thought Jodie Foster's character was undeveloped and quite 2-dimensional, though. She is worthy of a better role. Matt Damon was pretty strong and it doesn't end in the typical clean good-guys-win-bad-guys-lose way, but a lot of that Hollywood type ending still wraps up the film.

2.5 starts, I guess

having a nice day
    vCash
    I've finally seen almost every Robert Redford movie whee!
    "The electric horseman" was incredibly baaaaad. You can safely never watch it. Don't ever watch it and thank me profusely for that advice lol.
    "Havana" is pretty good. Bob strips down. Lena Olin strips down. Random others strip down. Gambling of all sorts on many different levels. Good soundtrack. Raul Julia makes brief intense appearances. A worthwhile way to spend 2+ hours.

vCash
    I'm interested in hearing how peep's thoughts on Gravity, for those who see it!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Peter, why didn't you include Dallas Buyer's Club in your poll? Is the release date not official? I thought it was Nov 1st.

Anyway, I just saw the preview and it looks amazing. The only person who can bring this down is Jennifer Garner but she won me over in Butter so I will give her a chance in this. Matthew howeveryouspellhislastname looks incredible. This is the movie he got insanely thin for. The entire preview featured a transexual and I was absolutely shocked to find out it was Jared Leto! After some reading it sounds like both are getting Oscar buzz with many predicting Leto to win Supporting Actor.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Insidious Chapter 2 took the #1 spot easily this past weekend, taking in 40 million and a whopping $13,208 per theatre. Only one other movie took in an average of $5,000 or more per theatre, and that was Instructions Not Included which just squeaked in over that amount at $5,212. The Family took in just over 14 million to debut at #2, not bad for a movie whose leads (DeNiro and Pfeiffer) started making movies 30 to 40 years ago!

New movie releases this weekend are below. I put "The Colony" last because I think we covered it in an earlier thread. I guess the release date got pushed back from July to September...

September 20 The Short Game (Sports documentary. From imdb.com: “The best 7 year old golfers from around the world descend on the world famous Pinehurst Golf course in North Carolina to determine the next world champion and who might become golf's next phenomenon.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud6bY208IGI

September 20 C.O.G. - Comedy drama with Jonathan Groff, Denis O'Hare and Dean Stockwell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCqtkVrHqtQ

September 20 Jerusalem (IMAX Documentary) – From imdb.com: “JERUSALEM takes audiences on an inspiring and eye-opening tour of one of the worlds oldest and most enigmatic cities.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tejeDb_5WWs

September 20 Parkland – Drama with Zac Efron, Tom Welling, Jackie Earle Haley, Paul Giamatti, Marcia Gay Harden, Colin Hanks, Ron Livingston and Billy Bob Thorton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgPjt_BRLvY

September 20 Men at Lunch – Documentary. From petapixel.com: “…explores the story of one of the most iconic photographs of the 20th century: Lunch atop a Skyscraper. The 1932 photo of eleven construction workers taking a lunch break while sitting on a girder suspended 850 feet above New York City.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJaoSD3tAxs

September 20 +1 – Thriller, new cast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe9j0Qqf1es
    300, 000 views

September 20 Generation Iron (Documentary that follows top bodybuilders as they train to compete in the Mr. Olympia competition. Featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mickey Rourke, Michael Jai White, Lou Ferrigno and Busta Rhymes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd-4qBhUSR4
    1.3 million views

September 20 A Single Shot (Crime thriller with Sam Rockwell, Jeffrey Wright, William H. Macy and Melissa Leo)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M8KJ7E_yWs

September 20 Haute Cuisine - French drama. From imdb.com: “The story of Danièle Delpeuch and how she was appointed as the private chef for François Mitterrand.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR-YGC_MvDo

September 20 Thanks for Sharing – Comedy drama with Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Gwyneth Paltrow, Pink, Patrick Fugit, Joely Richardson, Carol Kane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jg6oroeg7s

September 20 After Tiller - Biographical documentary. From imdb.com: “After the assassination of Dr. George Tiller in Kansas in 2009, there are a limited number of doctors left in the country who provide third-trimester abortions for women. AFTER TILLER moves between the rapidly unfolding stories of these doctors, all of whom were close colleagues of Dr. Tiller, and are fighting to keep this service available in the wake of his death.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf3rETOO62s

September 20 The Face of Love - Romantic drama with Robin Williams, Annette Bening, Ed Harris and Amy Brenneman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FeVmWZxVEs

September 20 Ip Man: The Final Fight – Action. From imdb.com: “In postwar Hong Kong, legendary Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man is reluctantly called into action once more, when what begin as simple challenges from rival kung fu styles soon draw him into the dark and dangerous underworld of the Triads.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qyx0Wm90Qs

September 20 The Colony – Sci-fi thriller with Kevin Zegers, Laurence Fishburne, Bill Paxton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZENI7UC3WQo
    Six million views
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    "Gravity" was fantastic.

A real female astronaut who's name is eluding me right now spoke before our screening, and she said it was very realistic.

Try to see it in IMAX, but if you're prone to motion sickness, maybe sit this one out. Spectacular special effects.

"Don Jon" was a disappointment, but mercifully short. There's nothing more to the movie than what you see in the trailer, really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    September 20 The Colony – Sci-fi thriller with Kevin Zegers, Laurence Fishburne, Bill Paxton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZENI7UC3WQo
    Six million views
    I swear I went to see this in cinema but the film was damaged so the movie was cancelled. So I am surprised to see it listed as a movie opening Friday.

having a nice day
    vCash
    "World War Z" was extreemely scary. How on earth did Brad Pitt remain so calm ....unless....he knew it was only a movie lol.
    I really liked "Star Trek Into Darkness." It had exactly the right amount of cheezy dialogue and drama to remind me of why I watched the original tv series in the first place :-)

vCash
    I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed The Butler, although I did not expect to. Movies like this make me so angry; they are very triggering for me. But Forest Whitaker was magnificent in his role; his performance moved me to tears. I'm hoping for an Oscar nod. Oprah was okay; at least she wasn't doing her variation on Sophia that has peppered her recent performances. Minka Kelly was patently awful as Jacqueline, albeit a lot prettier.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I finally saw "The Spectacular Now" yesterday afternoon. AMAZING performances, so unfettered and natural. I was disappointed in the last 12-15 minutes, which seemed rushed, but otherwise the movie was excellent.

Sadly they did little marketing to make people more aware of this movie when they decided to open it "wide" to 700+ screens. I think, including myself, there were maybe 6-7 people at the late afternoon matinee I caught.

I want to see "Gravity," but I'm undecided about whether I want to shell out all the extra for IMAX and 3D for a 90 minute movie.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast