Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Why do we like animals more than humans?

On some level, I get this but I can’t explain it. At least not satisfactorily.

Case in point, my brother is an avowed bachelor and has said for years that he could never live with anyone. He now has a dog - I get an email update on the dog every 45 minutes. All the compromising that he says he could never do with another human is no problem with the dog. He just spent $12,000 on new flooring last year – flooring that the dog is wiping her nose all over now (the dog has allergies). My brother would freak if a human did anything remotely like that.

And he is obviously not the only one. I live with a cat and no other humans, as do many of my friends.

One of my neighbors lectured me the other day saying if people spent all this time and money on other humans rather than animals, the world would be a happier place. Which I think is likely true. But humans are too much trouble – why do we think that?
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Humans judge me. My cats don't.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Animals don't give a fiddler's fart about politics - they don't care whether or not someone is or is not *insert political affiliation here.*.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    One of my neighbors lectured me the other day saying if people spent all this time and money on other humans rather than animals, the world would be a happier place. Which I think is likely true. But humans are too much trouble – why do we think that?
    You can like both or hate both. There are serial killers who kill both humans and animals, just as there are some busy people who volunteer to help both humans and animals.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Because if you feed a pet, it loves you. Humans require a lot more effort.

Because pets can't talk and humans can.

Because your expectations of pets are fairly low and so are generally met, while your expectations of humans are much higher and often aren't met.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Humans judge me. My cats don't.
    Heh!! I think this gave me the missing piece. I always got that other humans judge us while animals don’t. But I think the critical piece is that we judge humans and we don’t judge animals. Which is why my brother doesn’t mind the dog snot while people snot will freak him out. It’s not only that animals aren’t judgmental toward humans, but that *we* are. So, yes, it is about our *own* expectational differences between animals and humans.

And in only four posts. Cool.
    Last edited by snoopy; 08-29-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    What would Jenny do?

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    For the first time in my life, I currently don't have a pet (my beagle died in February), but my pets have always been a better friend to me than any human.

Their love is unconditional. They don't judge me. They don't use me and were always there to comfort me.

With the exception of family and friends I've known my entire life, I find most humans to be more of a pain in the ass than they are worth knowing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    They don't use me and were always there to comfort me.
    You are not a cat owner, are you?

Animals are generally predictable and you know where you stand with them. Like others said, you don't get judged. And cats are easy work.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't think I like animals more than I do people; I think it is animals who like me more than other people do. LOL After a lifetime of disappointment I finally found the one creature on earth who returns the love I give her; my cat.

vCash
    Because humans are assholes, duh.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    You are not a cat owner, are you?
    I'm a dog person. And all my animals have been spayed FEMALES. I've found female pets to be more docile than males.

I did own one cat I called Stanzi though (named after Mozarts wife Constanze).

I do have to say - I've cried/took it harder when my pets died than I've cried for a human. My pets were like "my children" to me (I've never had kids).
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 08-29-2013 at 10:22 PM.

vCash
    Interestingly, I was just reading how disaster epidemiologists and related organizations recommend that emergency shelters allow pets. During Hurricane Katrina, many people refused to leave their pets behind during evacuation and ultimately died as a result.

If people do not like animals more than humans, many at least hold them on par.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    I have loved all my pets like the best people in my family. It's not to say I love them more, but I love them just as much. As already stated, they don't judge you. Just the simplest of care ~ food, water, love ~ and they are your friend for life. I grew up without pets and once I moved out we got a dog, then some cats and more dogs (not all at the same time). I think it's wonderful raising my children with pets around. So much love to share. As long as I'm able, I will always have pets. I'm more attached to dogs now but I envision cats in my later years.

vCash
    But I think the critical piece is that we judge humans and we don’t judge animals. Which is why my brother doesn’t mind the dog snot while people snot will freak him out.
    No, because still it is only HIS dog. If my dog went and snotted all over his carpet, I bet he'd be pretty upset. The same way as if my (hypothetical) daughter peed on my carpet, I'd sigh and clean it up. If YOU came and peed on my carpet, I'd be effing pissed. It's all about family.

I don't like animals more than humans. I like my family more than people who annoy me. My family, due to relation, gets a pass most of the time they annoy me. So it ranks people I like, animals I like, animals I don't like (because well, they are still usually less awful than people), people I don't like.

vCash
    Because ........ animals are at our mercy. They need us to walk them, feed them, stroke them in short take care of them. We feel omnipotent and needed among animals, particularly domesticated animals. They don't whinge and offend. If they do, humans can just shoot them dead.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I, for one, don't like animals more than humans... I hate some humans more than even the worst animals (eg. bugs), but I love some humans more than any animals. In general, I'm pretty meh about pets (I have no desire to go near one ), although wild/exotic animals are fascinating when seen on TV

So, in short, what skittl said, except I don't really have "animals I like"

vCash
    Skittl - in the main that is true but I am talking about something different. My brother didn't know the dog but he knew a dog would be hard on his floors. He got a dog anyway. If he had to choose to live with a random human he never met and a random dog he never met, he would choose the dog. Even if the dog had snot issues and the human didn't. Plus there is no way I (family) could snot on his floor and have him be okay with it.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    He got a dog anyway. If he had to choose to live with a random human he never met and a random dog he never met, he would choose the dog. Even if the dog had snot issues and the human didn't.
    I would as well. It's a lot safer, unless the dog has some serious issue (rabies, biting etc)

vCash
    If he had to choose to live with a random human he never met and a random dog he never met, he would choose the dog.
    Well, after seeing the movie Single White Female, I'd be inclined to agree. A dog has only a few ways to harm you, whereas another human has hundreds of ways.

vCash
    Well, people eat animals. (Most) people do not eat people. So, there's that.

But I'll say that for myself, I like humans more than animals. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion or not but sometimes it feels like one. Yes, there are A LOT of awful humans (I am having a particularly awful week at work), but at least I have never stepped on a human's feces while on a run.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast