vCash

Qs about Sochi Olympics on Canadian TV

"Calling All Canadians!"

I was wondering if Canadian TV usually shows Olympic figure skating events live, as they are happening, or if they delay the coverage to evening 'prime time hours' as done in the USA? If so, which network will be showing it - CBC, BOLD or ????

By the way, the US broadcaster, NBC, shows the following schedule for figure skating events with the starting times in 'real time' - 10AM, Eastern US time, on most days - but I highly doubt that they will be showing any of this live:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/content/f...ating-schedule (Team Event begins one day before the Opening Cerem)

I may be planning a nice 18-day vacation in Canada next February.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-29-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    NBC will be streaming all events live during the Sochi Olympics. There probably won't be any live TV coverage of figure skating.

Coverage in Canada will be split between CBC, TSN, and Sportsnet.

vCash
    CBC will air the Games live, regardless of time zone. Always has and will probably always will if/when they have the rights.

More info on the CBC, TSN and Sportsnet partnership

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...nter-olympics/

CBC in the past has shown live coverage in a scattershot way--they will move away from the current sports action if something "bigger" is taking place, i.e. hockey, a Canadian winning a medal, hockey, a big upset, hockey, a major sporting event even if Canada has no shot in it, hockey, curling, hockey. But with the partnerships, there may or may not be a devoted airspace to show skating in its entirety (not just the final two groups), just as it was back in 2010 when CTV had the rights. We shall see.

ETA: Pretty much all Canadians get NBC, so you can watch that too. It won't be live. But NBC's fluff pieces, greater access to the athletes, and behind the scenes footage is a nice supplement to what you also get on Canadian tv.
    Last edited by manhn; 08-30-2013 at 12:05 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for the answers! It looks like I'll be spending two weeks with friends in Toronto who have all Canadian channels on cable TV (in front of a cozy sofa, not scrunching in front of a computer) and guest room. It will be a pleasure to pay the airfare to achieve freedom from 'The Fluff,' Bob Costas and Sandra Bezik - Wheeee!!!

vCash
    Will Kurt and Tracy be doing commentary in Sochi for CBC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    Will Kurt and Tracy be doing commentary in Sochi for CBC?
    Tracy will be working for NBC in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Tracy will be working for NBC in Sochi.
    Boo. I hope CBC doesn't get Barb Underhill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    Boo. I hope CBC doesn't get Barb Underhill.
    Kurt may be the only "expert" analyst. CBC is going to be producing the Sochi Games on a very light budget and isn't planning on sending many staff members to Russia for the Games.

vCash
    During the 2010 Olympics, it was CTV (not CBC), TSN, and Sportsnet. CBC isn't affiliated with them, and had no coverage of the Olympics that year, besides news stuff (although they and not CTV were the official network in some other Olympic years).

vCash
    This is CBC's games website: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/
    They have nothing posted under the schedule tab yet.

vCash
    One thing that was available during the last Summer Olympics in Canada was Bell TV subscribers also got several channels of raw feeds from the Olympic Broadcasting Consortium.

Basically, individual events with no commentary. Nice to see but sometimes commentary is a good thing if you get someone who knows their stuff (PJ Kwong, Tracy Wilson)

Not sure if that will be happening this time around since Bell doesn't hold the rights but you never know. CBC needs the cash so many they'll strike a deal with Bell/Rogers et all of some kind.

--Peter

vCash
    Does Toller Cranston still do occasional commentary during events? I was watching some old DVDs of events in the 80s and 90s with Toller. What a character! His honest quips leave even Dick Button behind.

Looking forward to enjoying the Sochi coverage in Canada, with like-minded friends. I'm a Chan Fan, so I know I'll be in good company!!!

I appreciate all of your updates to this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Does Toller Cranston still do occasional commentary during events? I was watching some old DVDs of events in the 80s and 90s with Toller. What a character! His honest quips leave even Dick Button behind.
    I haven't seen Toller do commentary on Canadian TV since I started following skating (mid-1990s onward). But I was watching some old competition clips on youtube and I love how as late as the early 1990s commentators would be in full tuxedoes (Paul Martini in Albertville). Awesome to see.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    By the way, the US broadcaster, NBC, shows the following schedule for figure skating events with the starting times in 'real time' - 10AM, Eastern US time, on most days - but I highly doubt that they will be showing any of this live
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    NBC will be streaming all events live during the Sochi Olympics. There probably won't be any live TV coverage of figure skating.
    It was announced today that the NBCSportsNetwork TV channel (NBCSN) will be broadcasting all the figure skating live in the U.S., starting on February 8 -- press release: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...pics-coverage/
    See also the news thread that was moved from GSD to the Olympics forum in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-on-Feb-8-2014

CBC announced their broadcast team for the Sochi Olympics at a public event at the Toronto Broadcast Centre back in late October - article: http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/n...cs/1002689471/
    To ensure Canadians can see every competition, CBC has partnered with TSN, TSN2, TSN Radio, Sportsnet and Sportsnet One, to provide extended broadcast hours of CBC’s coverage of the Olympic Winter Games. Further programming details and scheduling information will be made available closer to the start of Sochi 2014.

CBC/Radio Canada’s full English-language broadcast team for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games is as follows:
    Figure Skating:

Kurt Browning – analyst

Brenda Irving – commentator

Carol Lane – analyst
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-17-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    While this is wonderful news - about NBC carrying 'all' figure skating 'live' via NBCSN - I'm not cancelling my trip to Toronto just yet. Could there be a catch, e.g., maybe they'll show 30 seconds of some skaters live then cut to commercials....or show the first couple of skaters live, then switch to hockey (the forte of NBCSN, after all) and show skaters in a little box at the upper-right-hand corner? I hope I'm wrong but, hey, its NBC. We've been burned many a time before.