Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    David Lease and Jenny Kirk are rank amateurs when it comes to snark, bitchiness, and demeaning comments when compared to many, almost always male, sports commentators on TV and radio, all of whom are considered professionals, Dick Button among them. Have they really said anything worse than calling a skater a "refrigerator break"?
    Snark while running an amateur youtube channel = not eligible for a press credential per the USFSA published policy and that of most professional sports teams as well.

Snark while employed by ABC/ESPN (aka for this discussion as a "recognized media outlet") = eligible for a press credential per the USFSA published policy and that of most professional sports teams as well.

This is very simple. Dave and Jenny turn this into a professional venture, get a Nielsen count on the site and employ people full time, they will be eligible for credentials. At this time, they are not.

vCash
    Remember, the stated reason was "space limitations," which seems questionable, at best. Remember that IceNetwork has a deal with USFS, else they would not be the official location for starting orders and result, etc. for qualifying and international competitions. Agree or disagree with the attitude, approach or "professionalism" of TSL, that wasn't the stated reason for denying them. I am going to go wit, "it's all about the money" - as in, how is USFS' monetary benefit from the deal with IceNetwork reduced by accrediting other "media" like TSL? Just a thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    If not giving press passes to bloggers and youtube sites is living in the 1800s then most of Major League Baseball, the NFL, the NBA and major college football is there with them.
    All of those are major sports, with extensive media coverage of their own. If you want to know how the local NFL team is doing in the pre-season it's not hard to find training videos and reports on all local news and then ESPN, NFL network, etc. Now if you want to see a skater's new LP before the grand prix season, you rely on local fans who have blogs, twitter or youtube accounts. Skating is not a major market sport and I'm not sure USFSA is doing themselves any favors by being as exclusive as the sports you just listed in terms of who gets press credentials.

vCash
    I said it on GS (closing a thread that is discussing the USFSA, on a FS message board, is really curious. I'm sure they have their reasons, but whatever) and I'll say it here: Stop looking at Dave as Aunt Joyce, and start looking at him as Dave Lease.

I love how everyone tries to bring it back to the snark, as if snark hasn't been apart of commentary (from Uncle Dick to Scott/Sandra) in America for decades.

If you don't like their editorial/opinion stuff ("This & That") don't watch it. However, don't miss the interviews. They're always respectful of the interviewees and they get something out of current skaters that we rarely see in other interviews. The amount of past and present skaters, coaches, and choreographers that going on that show is proof enough that Dave and Jenny fill a vital role.

Also, if they're trying to "make TSL go away" or trying to control the image their skaters put out there, they won't do it by trying to stonewall their efforts at breaking into live journalism. They're only beefing up their cred as ones who "speak truth to power." However, the USFSA is so behind the times, I doubt they'd be able to see that their actions would not have the desired effect. Yet another short-sighted USFSA decision.

BTW, this "blog" line of reasoning doesn't work on TSL (and it shouldn't on manleywoman, either.) They get in-depth interviews, and a majority of their content is interviews, and not opinion.

vCash
    Who are all these classy, respected sports journalists, figure skating or otherwise? Are there any American figure skating "journalists" that people seem to like? Okay, Terry Gannon. Anyways, I fail to see how Jennifer Kirk's voice is any more annoying than Scott Hamilton's grunts.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Snark while running an amateur youtube channel = not eligible for a press credential per the USFSA published policy and that of most professional sports teams as well.

Snark while employed by ABC/ESPN (aka for this discussion as a "recognized media outlet") = eligible for a press credential per the USFSA published policy and that of most professional sports teams as well.

This is very simple. Dave and Jenny turn this into a professional venture, get a Nielsen count on the site and employ people full time, they will be eligible for credentials. At this time, they are not.
    Rather sad that the way to tell the difference between the amateurs and the professionals is by comparing their business models.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Pollyanna here holding out hope that the "space reasons" means some really big Japanese skaters are coming.

They always have loads of media following them
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    All of those are major sports, with extensive media coverage of their own. If you want to know how the local NFL team is doing in the pre-season it's not hard to find training videos and reports on all local news and then ESPN, NFL network, etc. Now if you want to see a skater's new LP before the grand prix season, you rely on local fans who have blogs, twitter or youtube accounts. Skating is not a major market sport and I'm not sure USFSA is doing themselves any favors by being as exclusive as the sports you just listed in terms of who gets press credentials.
    The poster I was responding to was not addressing any of that, but rather arguing that the policy is "outdated". It is not.

And, frankly, never mind the amount of press the sport gets or doesn't get, without a coherent and consistent policy as to who can have a press credential, anyone with a blog could expect to receive one. There has to be a standard and the standard that does not allow bloggers and such appears to be relatively uniform across all types of sports and events. My local minor league baseball teams, who are not drowning in media--especially the independent league team--have a very similar policies. A friend who is a sports reporter for a local paper says that bloggers and such would not be eligible for any press access to high school sports events in our state under rules set by the activities association which issues press credentials each year to assist schools in knowing who is legitimate. Bottom line is that owning a blog or making videos for youtube is not going to get you press credentials for any sport or event. That goes for major professional sports all the way down to small rural high schools.

vCash
    Also, have you ever watched ESPN? ALOT of the shows they produce is COMMENTARY. The only difference is they do it FOR PROFIT. I hardly see anything that Dave and Jenny are doing as much different from any of the content on ESPN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I fail to see how Jennifer Kirk's voice is any more annoying than Scott Hamilton's grunts.
    LOL. It isn't!!!

vCash
    I just watched their video. They didn't make a good case for getting their accreditation, but they did make very good points re: USFSA and both its use of media and its support (or lack thereof) of its athletes.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i can believe it is a space issue. it is a smaller event and evan hasnt pulled out due to the deathliest injury anyone ever bravely faced without even a single tear. normally, the press area is kind of sparse, then a bigger name comes out to skate and all of these credentialed writers tear themselves away from the buffet to watch 1 skater, then go back to the buffet or wherever. once evan pulls out, there might be more room.

i'm also not sure they meet the 3rd criteria in the list of things they need, maybe not the 4th either. whether that list is outdated or not is a different matter.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    The poster I was responding to was not addressing any of that, but rather arguing that the policy is "outdated". It is not.

And, frankly, never mind the amount of press the sport gets or doesn't get, without a coherent and consistent policy as to who can have a press credential, anyone with a blog could expect to receive one. There has to be a standard and the standard that does not allow bloggers and such appears to be relatively uniform across all types of sports and events. My local minor league baseball teams, who are not drowning in media--especially the independent league team--have a very similar policies. A friend who is a sports reporter for a local paper says that bloggers and such would not be eligible for any press access to high school sports events in our state under rules set by the activities association which issues press credentials each year to assist schools in knowing who is legitimate. Bottom line is that owning a blog or making videos for youtube is not going to get you press credentials for any sport or event. That goes for major professional sports all the way down to small rural high schools.
    But the USFSA didn't say anything about not meeting criteria for media credentialing. They said it was due to "space issues." Why didn't they just say that they don't meet the criteria?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Pollyanna here holding out hope that the "space reasons" means some really big Japanese skaters are coming.

They always have loads of media following them
    Yes, please!

vCash
    The competitor list is out. No Japanese skaters.

http://www.usfigureskatingclassic.co...ic-Entries.pdf

vCash
    Maybe Paul and Piper are actually gonna be there and Piper's mom paid the entire Canadian media to come to SLC?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Why do they need press credentials to do interviews? They aren't going to get the type of interviews they do at official event press conferences. Just contact the interviewees and arrange to meet them in the bar or at Starbucks.

And I agree that their announcement/call for action sounds like it was written by a melodramatic teenager. If they want professional press credentials, they should try acting like professionals. When the USFSA banned Christine Brennan, she basically sat back and let the USFSA realize the harm they were doing to themselves with the ban. She didn't write a whiny column About how meanly she was being treated.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    You have to be in the game, though, before they notice that they're worse off without you.

I think they should go anyway and do as you suggest and interview away. They'll have the skaters in their natural habitat.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i can believe it is a space issue. it is a smaller event and evan hasnt pulled out due to the deathliest injury anyone ever bravely faced without even a single tear. normally, the press area is kind of sparse, then a bigger name comes out to skate and all of these credentialed writers tear themselves away from the buffet to watch 1 skater, then go back to the buffet or wherever. once evan pulls out, there might be more room.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Can anyone tell me what is the reasoning of GS pulling the plug on the version of this thread over there? #confused
    Feel free to pm me.

ETA: Nevermind. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by aemeraldrainc; 08-29-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast